HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great HF Interview With Hagelin

Old
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Great HF Interview With Hagelin

Check out our own DJ Powers interview with Carl Hagelin.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...e_frozen_four/

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Good read, Lets go Michigan.

Muh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

He is articulate, intelligent, hardworking, defensively responsible, and a good skater.

There really isn't too much to dislike about this kid. I think even if his offense doesn't turn out to be NHL caliber, he could still find a niche as a bottom 6 PK guy in a Freddy Sjostrom role.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He is articulate, intelligent, hardworking, defensively responsible, and a good skater.

There really isn't too much to dislike about this kid. I think even if his offense doesn't turn out to be NHL caliber, he could still find a niche as a bottom 6 PK guy in a Freddy Sjostrom role.
If he turns into Sjostrom it wouldnt be so bad but I wouldnt mind a Loui Eriksson type player..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
If he turns into Sjostrom it wouldnt be so bad but I wouldnt mind a Loui Eriksson type player..
If he turned into Loui Eriksson, he would be the steal of his draft.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:16 PM
azrok22

Most important part of the interview, in my Rangers fan perspective:

Quote:
HF: Have you been in touch with the Rangers organization at all this season?

CH: Not really, but we'll see what happens when the season is over. I've always said that when I'm at Michigan, I play for Michigan and it doesn't matter what other people think. Hopefully we'll win the National Championship on Saturday and I can celebrate with my teammates. After that, we'll see what happens.

HF: Are you planning to be at any of the Rangers' camps this coming summer?

CH: Yes, but I'm not really thinking about that right now.
If he was planning on forcing UFA (like the Detroit paper suggested), he wouldn't be planning to be at Rangers' camp over the summer, one would think.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:40 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post

If he was planning on forcing UFA (like the Detroit paper suggested), he wouldn't be planning to be at Rangers' camp over the summer, one would think.
I thought it was a complete non issue that wasn't even worth talking about when it was originally brought up...Hey on the joking side he doesn't sound committed enough to us yet trade him and McD (For his comments not sounding gung ho enough last year)!!!

Any1 else remember how many people wanted to get rid of McD b/c his comments weren't "pro ranger" enough for them?

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Thing is, he's already got better hands/vision and better offensive awareness than Sjostrom.... Imagine Sjostrom on a power play unit? Awful.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

At most, it will be a negotiating tool. I think he fully intends on signing with us over the summer.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:57 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
As soon as able, the Rangers need to get this kid inked.

AS SOON AS THEY ARE ABLE.....

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

"If hockey doesn't work out, then you know that you'll have a degree to fall back on"

I like this kid already. He's smart. He knows that the world of professional sports can end in an instant for a player.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
azrok, article never said Hagelin wanted to do anything... It speculated that the Rangers would not sign him and that Detroit would subsequently be interested. Brooks refuted that speculation shortly after saying Rangers did intend on signing Hagelin.... Sounds like Hagelin knows it too because he said he plans on being in our camps.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
"If hockey doesn't work out, then you know that you'll have a degree to fall back on"

I like this kid already. He's smart. He knows that the world of professional sports can end in an instant for a player.
His violin goal celebration at the Michigan/Michigan State outdoor game in January was a tribute to his deceased uncle that had emotional significance/importance for his relatives who were in the stands at the game....

Hagelin is the complete package in terms of hockey ability & character attributes... He might not have the overall skill level to be first line forward but I believe he's going to be an asset to whatever team he plays for. Red Berensen loves the guy and speaks very highly of him.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:31 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
azrok, article never said Hagelin wanted to do anything... It speculated that the Rangers would not sign him and that Detroit would subsequently be interested. Brooks refuted that speculation shortly after saying Rangers did intend on signing Hagelin.... Sounds like Hagelin knows it too because he said he plans on being in our camps.
The article stated simply that the Rangers won't be signing him. It didn't state whether that was because the Rangers didn't intend to offer him a contract or if it was because Hagelin wanted to be a UFA. I suppose both are plausible readings, but given Hagelin's college performance, I think the stronger inference the article suggested was that Hagelin wouldn't want to sign with the Rangers.

The Rangers not being interested because they don't want to give him a contract spot and would be fine with losing him for nothing seems a lot less plausible of a reading than Hagelin not signing because he can become a UFA in ~2 months and have his choice of teams without giving up any money.

The exact language from the article:

Quote:
Currently the property of the New York Rangers, who selected the 5-11, 176-pound left-winger from Sodertalje, Sweden with the 168th pick of the 2007 National Hockey League entry draft, word around the NHL is that the Rangers won't be signing Hagelin, who would then become a free agent Aug. 15, 2011. “I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit sign him,” said one NHL scout at Saturday's game.
http://communities.canada.com/windso...-to-wings.aspx

Last edited by azrok22: 04-07-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old
04-07-2011, 04:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I think the kid would be a great fit on the 4th line with Boyle and Prust.

And he would bring a lot to the PK as well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I think the kid would be a great fit on the 4th line with Boyle and Prust.

And he would bring a lot to the PK as well.
Personally, unless he tears it up in camp, like Stepan did, I'd prefer him in the AHL at least to start the season. I think there's a chance he could develop some good offensive skills at the pro-level (I see a great defensive player with 2nd line upside).

Granted, with Boyle and Prust, he wouldn't be seeing traditional 4th line ice time, but I'd still prefer to ease him in.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post

Get him to Yale, what an insightful person!

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
The article stated simply that the Rangers won't be signing him. It didn't state whether that was because the Rangers didn't intend to offer him a contract or if it was because Hagelin wanted to be a UFA. I suppose both are plausible readings, but given Hagelin's college performance, I think the stronger inference the article suggested was that Hagelin wouldn't want to sign with the Rangers.

The Rangers not being interested because they don't want to give him a contract spot and would be fine with losing him for nothing seems a lot less plausible of a reading than Hagelin not signing because he can become a UFA in ~2 months and have his choice of teams without giving up any money.

The exact language from the article:

http://communities.canada.com/windso...-to-wings.aspx
The article was B.S. speculation anyway you read it.

Old
04-07-2011, 05:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If the Rangers don't sign him it would stupid on an astronomical level.

Not that he's going to be a superstar, but because he can be a solid player and a contributor for a long time, most probably at a very affordable price for most of his career.

That said, they will definitely sign the kid.

Old
04-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

He is definitely the most NHL-ready prospect, more so than Kreider, Thomas, and Grachev.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
He is definitely the most NHL-ready prospect, more so than Kreider, Thomas, and Grachev.
I respectfully disagree.

Kreider is not only ready to play in the NHL but he has the skill level to be a top six player. Right now.

I look a guy like Michael Grabner, as see what he's doing in Long Island, and then watch Kreider, and feel there is no reason at all that Kreider can't impact the Rangers similarly 5v5 and on the PP and PK.

Kreider is obviously younger, but he's also bigger, faster, and has more skill overall.

IMO, the only thing that could hold back Kreider is confidence. But he's a confident kid, and smart, there's no reason he can't step in next year and make an impact.

Old
04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I respectfully disagree.

Kreider is not only ready to play in the NHL but he has the skill level to be a top six player. Right now.

I look a guy like Michael Grabner, as see what he's doing in Long Island, and then watch Kreider, and feel there is no reason at all that Kreider can't impact the Rangers similarly 5v5 and on the PP and PK.

Kreider is obviously younger, but he's also bigger, faster, and has more skill overall.

IMO, the only thing that could hold back Kreider is confidence. But he's a confident kid, and smart, there's no reason he can't step in next year and make an impact.
I just don't think Kreider's game is there... Between watching him in WJC and some BC games that have aired on TV, he makes some strong plays here and there, but he really doesn't have that consistent impact on the ice when he's out there... It's hard to describe but I think on more shifts he's around the puck and watching the play then really being involved in it. I don't see him as an impact player at this point at the NCAA level so I don't see why he would be one (at this point) at the NHL level...

Hagelin has been that player for the Wolverines and if you come across and of his point production stats in terms of GWG's, multi-point games, or his point production against ranked opponents, it's a testament to that.... He's decisively ahead of Kreider in that regard....

Just because Chris may be bigger, stronger, and faster (not by much), I don't think that gives him an edge over Hagelin in terms of who's ready to step into the NHL and make an impact and contribute right now. Maybe down the road, but not right now IMHO.

Old
04-07-2011, 07:33 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I totally agree with the Sjostrom comparison, IMO, that's this kid spot on except I don't know if he has the physical game he may end up to be more of a Sjostrom/ Niclas Sundstrum blend. Defensive smallish speedy but not aggressive and lacks the offense...we'll see how he pans out.

Loui Eriksson is a dream, but boy would I love it if it came true.

IMO Kreider is like McD. He has what it takes to translate to the pro game, he just needs time in the pro game to transition. It might take a full season, it might take part of a season. We'll see. But he's definitely got what it takes. He needs the pro competition and pro coaching to get there though.

One thing is for sure...I love Ranger drafting...Year after year no matter where they pick them, these guys are going to the Frozen Four, WJC Finals and competing at high levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I think Vtank and Kundratek could both be playing in the NHL right now. Grachev has been playing very well lately, the whole 2nd half really.

Last edited by vipernsx: 04-07-2011 at 07:38 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I totally agree with the Sjostrom comparison, IMO, that's this kid spot on
I don't think it's a great comparison, it's more like worst case scenario... The only comparables are skating and penalty kill ability.... Hagelin can set up plays with his passing ability, can play on the PP, and has a knack for scoring big/important goals... There's none of that in Sjostrom's game....

Old
04-07-2011, 09:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Hagelin and Michigan playing on ESPN2 right now... about 15 minutes to go in the semi-final game vs. North Dakota.... Michigan up 1-0... I don't know who scored for them.