HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Quick to start on Friday, maybe Saturday

Old
04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
Quick to start on Friday, maybe Saturday

well no big surprise.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/04/07...tice-update-4/

Murray keeps playing JQ against divisional rivals. Murray i am guessing is trying to get JQ back on track mentally before the playoffs. JQ will play Friday and maybe Sat if it means LA can clinch the #4 position.

face it he hasn't been very sharp the past few few weeks. yes the defensive lapses and breakdowns have lead to goals. at the same time JQ hasn't been as sharp when it comes to controlling rebounds, angles/positioning and frankly controlling a game the way he can.

i understand Murray wanting to get his #1 back on track. the D lapses of late aside. nobody can dispute he isn't what we saw earlier this year. im wondering if JQ is struggling because he is worn down like last season. he is chasing pucks and leaving rebounds like he did last year late in the season and the PO's. personally i think Murray rode this horse to much this season and it's showing.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Bernier tomorrow & Quick Saturday was good. Damn it TM you're wearing down Quick like last season.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:57 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Not surprising.. the chance for home ice (and more importantly to avoid playing Vancouver or San Jose in round 1) is huge. I'm sure Quick will play Saturday and then depending on the outcome he'll possibly play Sunday. The Kings best chance to advance is facing Phoenix or Nashville, and the only way to ensure that is to land 4th or 5th in most scenarios.

Friday will be game 60 for Quick - 12 fewer than last season, so Murray has stuck with the goalie rotation he outlined at the beginning of the season.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Not surprising.. the chance for home ice (and more importantly to avoid playing Vancouver or San Jose in round 1) is huge. I'm sure Quick will play Saturday and then depending on the outcome he'll possibly play Sunday. The Kings best chance to advance is facing Phoenix or Nashville, and the only way to ensure that is to land 4th or 5th in most scenarios.

I'd imagine though it'll be Quick and Bernier - especially if the Kings win Friday.
Who is he going to play on Sunday?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:01 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

This doesn't make sense.

Play your #1 at the home closer.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
This doesn't make sense.

Play your #1 at the home closer.
Quick will start both games...the only question is if he will finish both...

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
well no big surprise.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/04/07...tice-update-4/

Murray keeps playing JQ against divisional rivals. Murray i am guessing is trying to get JQ back on track mentally before the playoffs. JQ will play Friday and maybe Sat if it means LA can clinch the #4 position.

face it he hasn't been very sharp the past few few weeks. yes the defensive lapses and breakdowns have lead to goals. at the same time JQ hasn't been as sharp when it comes to controlling rebounds, angles/positioning and frankly controlling a game the way he can.

i understand Murray wanting to get his #1 back on track. the D lapses of late aside. nobody can dispute he isn't what we saw earlier this year. im wondering if JQ is struggling because he is worn down like last season. he is chasing pucks and leaving rebounds like he did last year late in the season and the PO's. personally i think Murray rode this horse to much this season and it's showing.
... Once again, Terry Murray shows he still has no clue how to handle goaltenders.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Once again, Terry Murray shows he still has no clue how to handle goaltenders.
I'm a huge Quick supporter, but this is mind baffling. What exactly does Bernier have to do, to deserve a start in a back to back, especially when the Kings have clinched?

Boneheaded move by a boneheaded coach.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:14 PM
kingchuckb

There's no doubt Quick is our number one and he needs to be sharp for the playoffs, but I don't think playing a back to back to end the season will help that much... Why not just play Bernier one of the games... it will let Quick be rested but still have a game to be ready. Shrug- the original plan for Bernier to play Friday and Quick to play Sat seemed better, but maybe Murray will prove us wrong.

kingchuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:19 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
I'm a huge Quick supporter, but this is mind baffling. What exactly does Bernier have to do, to deserve a start in a back to back, especially when the Kings have clinched?
... Quick plays a good game: "Quick HAS to start the next one, because he played so well!"

Quick plays a bad game: "Quick HAS to start the next one, because he needs to bounce back mentally!"

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the same thing in the playoffs that we saw last year. Quick starts all the games, gets pulled in one, Bernier relieves and gives up one or two, and that'll be that for Jonathan Bersberg.

"Thirteen minutes of Bersberg??? I have seen enough!!!"

Old
04-07-2011, 04:22 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:

This all sounds very familiar...

But that aside, best case scenario is having Quick win on Friday and then rest him afterwards for game one of the first round. Which will probably start Wednesday/Thursday night. Giving Quick some solid rest heading into the first game.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Whiskeypete

i love the fact Murray preaches/coaches consistency, yet he doesn't follow his mantra. the only thing he is consistent with is his inconsistency

Bernier might as well start getting his golf clubs and boat ready, because it's unlikely he won't see any more ice time this season.

unless Murray remains inconsistent and elects to actually start JB in a playoff game

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:28 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Can you say overreaction? Wait silly question, you all already have.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:29 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
unless Murray remains inconsistent and elects to actually start JB in a playoff game
... If Bersberg starts a playoff game, I will personally use a picture of Terry Murray as my avatar and my user title will be "I (heart) Terry Murray". And perhaps one of the more graphically-inclined people here can have a heart drawn around Murray or something.

That's how confident I am that Bersberg won't see a start in the playoffs. If Quick gets injured, all bets are off though.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:33 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... If Bersberg starts a playoff game, I will personally use a picture of Terry Murray as my avatar and my user title will be "I (heart) Terry Murray". And perhaps one of the more graphically-inclined people here can have a heart drawn around Murray or something.

That's how confident I am that Bersberg won't see a start in the playoffs. If Quick gets injured, all bets are off though.
You say all this like a coach playing only his #1 tender in the playoffs is out of the ordinary. Seems like the league status quo to me.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:35 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I understand this. Quick has gotten ENOUGH rest throughout the season and I don't want to play Detroit or San Jose in the first round. He'll start on Saturday UNLESS both Nashville and Phoenix lose tomorrow...

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:41 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Some of the armchair coaches here make Kompon look like a genius.

The Kings have a chance to earn sole possession of 4th place on their own and you guys are annoyed because Murray wants to start our #1 goalie to try to do that? That makes no sense.

All the Kings have clinched at this point is 8th in the conference and a date to be swept by Vancouver. Friday's game and potentially Saturday's games are critical to avoid that scenario.

Quick for Friday, THEN re-evaluate based on the outcome of that game and the outcome of games with teams chasing the Kings. BOTH Phoenix and Nashville play Friday. If the Kings win and both Nashville and Phoenix lose, the Kings will have 4th in the conference locked up. If the Kings lose and Nashville and Phoenix both win, then Saturday's game becomes even more critical than Friday's game.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:47 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I just don't see how people can look at the performances of the goalies throughout the ENTIRE course of the season and say A) that Quick is BETTER than Bernier or even B) That Bernier hasn't earned or doesn't deserve a start in the back to back against Anaheim.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:48 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I understand this. Quick has gotten ENOUGH rest throughout the season and I don't want to play Detroit or San Jose in the first round. He'll start on Saturday UNLESS both Nashville and Phoenix lose tomorrow...
Is this NOT how everyone sees it? Some of you people and your refusal to look past who your personal choice is. Quick is the #1 goalie. He will be starting in the playoffs. Everyone agrees on this.

Why, I MUST ask, would you not use your #1 goalie in what is essentially a minor playoff scenario to get the #4 seed, home ice and a favorable matchup in the playoffs?

Hopefully, the Kings beat the Ducks Friday and things work that it looks like we'll be the 4/5 no matter what, then start Bernier. If this doesn't make sense to you, I'm done trying.

Oh, and for anyone concerned about too many starts, please remember that Niemi had started 33 straight until last night and Crawford has started quite a few in a row as well. Quick will be one of the more rested goalies going into the playoffs.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:57 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I just don't see how people can look at the performances of the goalies throughout the ENTIRE course of the season and say A) that Quick is BETTER than Bernier or even B) That Bernier hasn't earned or doesn't deserve a start in the back to back against Anaheim.

I don't see how you cannot tell that what is important here is NOT that Bernier hasn't earned a start. That's not what was said. The reason behind starting Quick is that he is the #1 (i.e. the goalie the franchise feels is best suited to win a must-win game). Terry Murray starting Quick is basically saying, "It's really important to try for the #4 seed, home ice and a favorable playoff match up (NSH/PHX)."

This has NOTHING to do with lack of confidence in Bernier. It DOES NOT mean he hasn't earned it. It means the goals of the team supersede whatever you feel Bernier might have earned.

EDIT: Guess I wasn't done trying to make sense of it.

Old
04-07-2011, 05:00 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
I don't see how you cannot tell that what is important here is NOT that Bernier hasn't earned a start. That's not what was said. The reason behind starting Quick is that he is the #1 (i.e. the goalie the franchise feels is best suited to win a must-win game). Terry Murray starting Quick is basically saying, "It's really important to try for the #4 seed, home ice and a favorable playoff match up (NSH/PHX)."

This has NOTHING to do with lack of confidence in Bernier. It DOES NOT mean he hasn't earned it. It means the goals of the team supersede whatever you feel Bernier might have earned.

EDIT: Guess I wasn't done trying to make sense of it.
So in that sense, the team doesn't feel confident that Bernier can help them achieve their goals? Despite what he's done since the break. Got it.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

We all want the best possible plan for the Kings as they go into the playoffs. Lets hope the Kings win on Friday, giving Quick some momentum and rest heading into the playoffs. We all know how last years stretch run carried over into the playoffs.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
You say all this like a coach playing only his #1 tender in the playoffs is out of the ordinary. Seems like the league status quo to me.
... I didn't say it like anything. I just responded to a statement of "perhaps Murray will start Bernier in the playoffs". Like hell he will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Some of the armchair coaches here make Kompon look like a genius.

The Kings have a chance to earn sole possession of 4th place on their own and you guys are annoyed because Murray wants to start our #1 goalie to try to do that? That makes no sense.
... I could understand Quick starting both games if Bernier was absolute **** but that isn't the case at all as Bernier has been noticeably better than Quick since the All-Star break (.939 to .917) as well as for the last three months and change (.928 to .913 since the beginning of the new year). And yet, you're going to tell me that Bernier doesn't deserve a start in a back to back situation??? Awesome.

Old
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
So in that sense, the team doesn't feel confident that Bernier can help them achieve their goals? Despite what he's done since the break. Got it.
Just keep those fingers in your ears shouting 'LA LA LA LA LA LA LA' all you want...

Old
04-07-2011, 05:10 PM
SMoneyMonkey

I like it. Keeping Bernier rested for Quick's playoff meltdown

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote