HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sauer vs McIlrath

Old
04-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Musto

vCash: 500
Sauer vs McIlrath

The question for me is, What's the difference? I have never seen McIlrath play on any level but from what I read about him it seems that Sauer provides what everyone talks about him being able to provide. In no way is this a snide bashing thread, it's an honest question.

Is it that Sauer is just McIlrath lite or will there be a bit of redundancy in the future with these two players (not that it's a bad thing)?

Sauer - 6'3" 213 lbs, shoots right
McIlrath - 6'4 214 lbs, shoots right

Elucidate me.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
eco's bones

McIlrath will probably play around 235-240 lbs. Sauer might be willing to drop the gloves but McIlrath can really fight. He's an intimidating presence. McIlrath is also more of the hitter. What the Rangers are expecting to develop in time is a physical player who can take a regular shift and inspire fear. We'll have to wait and see how all that works out but if Dylan develops according to plan he'll be a lot more physical defenseman than Sauer is.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:22 PM
GrizMint

I guess going by projections and what there doing now
Sauer - More complete game, joins the rush more, solid nhl skater, seems like a really good student of the game, fights when needed
McSmash - More physically orientated, unknown offense skills, not a complete skater yet, isnt fully grown, fights when he wants to

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If I had to say, Sauer is the guy who won't let you physically dominate him and has a very smart defensive game to complement that.

D-Mac is the guy who is the one who will try, and probably succeed, to impose his physical will on you.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:32 PM
GrizMint

[QUOTE=BlueshirtBlitz;32188218]If I had to say, Sauer is the guy who won't let you physically dominate him and has a very smart defensive game to complement that.

D-Mac is the guy who is the one who will try, and probably succeed, to impose his physical will on you.[/QUOTE]

Haha Creepy, but I hope he has that power

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Before we go down that road...

One does not make the other expendable.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musto View Post
The question for me is, What's the difference? I have never seen McIlrath play on any level but from what I read about him it seems that Sauer provides what everyone talks about him being able to provide. In no way is this a snide bashing thread, it's an honest question.

Is it that Sauer is just McIlrath lite or will there be a bit of redundancy in the future with these two players (not that it's a bad thing)?

Sauer - 6'3" 213 lbs, shoots right
McIlrath - 6'4 214 lbs, shoots right

Elucidate me.
Sauer is a physical defenseman in the sense that he's all over the puck carrier making contact and has an active stick and gets in opposing forwards faces around the net. He hits, but he's not necessarily a physical force in his own end and doesn't deliver open ice or devastating hits with any frequency (similar to how you see Volchenkov or Kronwall play the game).

I think McIlrath has the potential to add that physical dimension to the blueline where forwards will have to be cognizant (thanks Renney) of where he is on the ice and will have to adjust their route to the net with the puck based on his positioning on the ice in relation to the play. He also has the potential to add that intimidation factor around the net and drop the gloves to defend his teammates and his goaltender. Sure Sauer drops the gloves and fights, but I think he's an average fighter. McIlrath is pretty damn good at throwing 'em. Right now I really like Sauer's ability to read the play in the offensive zone and know when the pinch, and when to sneak down low and look for a pass or rebound. I haven't seen McIlrath in action to get any read on him as far as that goes.

I think you are accurate in that both may play a similar game in terms of being stronger in the defensive end without much offensive accumen. I think both could be valuable on the blueline if they are strong in their own end, block a lot of shots, and play physical along the boards and in front of the net and make opposing forwards' jobs more difficult and make it harder for them to operate in our own zone.

That being said, Sauer is what, 23? McIlrath is going on 19.... It could very well be another 2-4 years before you see McIlrath break into the NHL, so I really don't think there's any cause for concern at the moment regarding the redundancy factor. You could have trades in that time, or players leaving via free agency to open up spots. So right now it's too difficult to speculate on whether or not there will be room for similar style defenders at this time.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Ranger_Engineer
ordo ab chao

Two are better than one?

Ranger_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Musto

Thanks for all the replies. Once McIlrath hits his physical peak it seems he has the potential to be a serious force. The Rangers' homegrown defense corps can truly shape up to be among the best in the league (McDonagh included) lacking only the explosive offensive talent we all hope Del Zotto can be.

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
IMO Girardi won't be around forever and in the next 2 seasons will be moved on. Sauer, next year Vtank, the year after McIlrath, will allow the Rangers to move him on before his contract expires.

These 3 rugged, hard hitting, nasty guys on the blueline blocking shots along with McD and Staal is just fierce and they will beat your face in too.....I love it!!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:14 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Sauer protects his goalie if you hit Lundqvist, is positionally sound, and can fight.

McIlrath will break your neck if you hit Lundqvist, tries to break your neck with his hits, and will break your neck if you try and fight him.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Rangers defensive players and prospects are shaping up to be physical, good shot blockers, and strong in their own end... To compensate for lack of offense from the blueline (MDZ is a question mark at this point), we'll need have some good all around scoring depth on our forward lines... If we can field a bunch of 20 goal scorers (like we're getting this season), I think we'll be in good shape....

Old
04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
IMO Girardi won't be around forever and in the next 2 seasons will be moved on. Sauer, next year Vtank, the year after McIlrath, will allow the Rangers to move him on before his contract expires.

These 3 rugged, hard hitting, nasty guys on the blueline blocking shots along with McD and Staal is just fierce and they will beat your face in too.....I love it!!!!
I completely agree. Girardi, as great as he's been, will be expendable with the emergence of Sauer, McD, and hopefully McIlrath. He's a #3 d-man at best. I hope he's moved for a legitimate PMD to pair with Staal.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
I completely agree. Girardi, as great as he's been, will be expendable with the emergence of Sauer, McD, and hopefully McIlrath. He's a #3 d-man at best. I hope he's moved for a legitimate PMD to pair with Staal.
Girardi is the top shot-blocking defensemen in the entire NHL... As long as he's playing for us with a moderately priced cap hit, he's not expendable. If he started asking for or making $5 mil a season, I might change my opinion. But right now we're getting excellent value from Girardi's contract and that's absolutely key to staying competitive with the salary cap because it allows us to commit those saved cap dollars to filling out other areas of our roster.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:14 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Girardi is the top shot-blocking defensemen in the entire NHL... As long as he's playing for us with a moderately priced cap hit, he's not expendable. If he started asking for or making $5 mil a season, I might change my opinion. But right now we're getting excellent value from Girardi's contract and that's absolutely key to staying competitive with the salary cap because it allows us to commit those saved cap dollars to filling out other areas of our roster.
Agree--I'm in no hurry to get rid of Girardi--first because he pairs really well with Staal. Second--because he's been solid positionally but also plays something of an all around game.

On someone like Valentenko he's got to come in and take a job and right now the jobs to take don't include Girardi's. The potential holes are from 5-7. McCabe if he doesn't come back, Eminger and Gilroy and keeping in mind the Rangers biggest need is still an offensive d-man and Del Zotto is most likely to fill that. I think Valentenko is capable of doing that but it also depends on who the Rangers have at camp next year--whether they sign some vets or not. Another candidate would be Kundratek.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

At least in juniors, McIlrath has been a left handed Beukeboom. A monstrous hitter and dominating fighter. I like Sauer but he's nowhere close to that.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Pizza

We're not a bit early here?

I'm hoping that McIlrath follows roughly the same path at Hartford that Sauer did. If we're very lucky we get a meaner, nastier version of Mike Sauer. That is my sincere wish

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
chip chipperson*

i really dont get why someone would think girardi would become expendable. just because sauer and mcdonagh can become a really good pair doesnt mean they will be a better pair than girardi and staal.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Before we go down that road...

One does not make the other expendable.
THIS.

It looks like the mid summer threads are showing up a bit early this year.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Sooth

Hopefully we can keep them all around and build some nice chemistry between our homegrown d-corps.

Sooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM
ogie

The difference is that Wrath makes opposing forwards think twice about going down his side of the ice. Now if that can translate to the pro level is yet to be seen, but from what i have seen i i had a choice to go down Wrath's side or Sauers...i'd pick Sauers.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:54 PM
skroob**

Quote:
A #2/#3 D-man who can eat 20-minutes while playing any shift condition and not look out of place and on a solid contract with a reasonable cap hit?

Unless the offer blows you out of the water, you dont move that player.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:35 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

McIlrath isn't even in the same galaxy as Sauer as far as positioning and decisionmaking. Sauer's hockey IQ is off the charts. If McIlrath becomes even half as smart a player as Sauer is, then he'll be of use.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:52 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Have you watched Girardi play this year? I dont think he hasn't been out of place on the top pairing at all, and in fact has outplayed staal at times.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
The difference is that Wrath makes opposing forwards think twice about going down his side of the ice. Now if that can translate to the pro level is yet to be seen, but from what i have seen i i had a choice to go down Wrath's side or Sauers...i'd pick Sauers.
...unless you're a quick NHL skater whose goal is to beat the D-man wide. Hopefully McIlraitn's skating will grow to NHL-level so he can be that effective intimidator.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote