HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Grabner to get good deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2011, 08:43 PM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,265
vCash: 500
Grabner to get good deal

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...deal-1.2804890

Would that be a cherry on top for what has already been a momentous season?
"For sure," Grabner said Wednesday. "Obviously I want to stay in this city and be with this organization. Hopefully we can get something done here."
According to a source familiar with the situation, formal contract discussions are expected to start once the season ends.



With two games remaining and the accolades piling up, Grabner has given his future on Long Island considerable thought.
"Especially at this stage in the year, with [two games] left and nothing for next year yet," he said. "I know my agent is doing his job and hopefully we can figure something out and come to an agreement."



So, what numbers would you like to see?

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:48 PM
  #2
IslesManiac
Registered User
 
IslesManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn,NY
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
I think 3 years at 3.5-3.75 million is fair

IslesManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:50 PM
  #3
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 300

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
  #4
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Good to hear. Grabner is the man. Sleep on my sweet prince.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:09 PM
  #5
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Good to hear. Grabner is the man. Sleep on my sweet prince.
Dude LOVES naps. Everyday on twitter. Just went shopping now nap time. Just ate now nap time. Just got up and now nap time.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:17 PM
  #6
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...deal-1.2804890

Would that be a cherry on top for what has already been a momentous season?
"For sure," Grabner said Wednesday. "Obviously I want to stay in this city and be with this organization. Hopefully we can get something done here."
According to a source familiar with the situation, formal contract discussions are expected to start once the season ends.



With two games remaining and the accolades piling up, Grabner has given his future on Long Island considerable thought.
"Especially at this stage in the year, with [two games] left and nothing for next year yet," he said. "I know my agent is doing his job and hopefully we can figure something out and come to an agreement."



?
Good to read Grabner's contract talks will start immediately.

I know Tavares isn't a rfa until next summer,but I'd like to see Snow get Tavares' extension taken care of this summer.Tavares agent said in an interview several months ago,that Tavares was committed to the isles and that they were open to having extension talks sooner,rather then later.

Get it done Snow.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
  #7
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
I foresee a deal similar to what Moulson got last offseason. Figure 1-year, $2.5M. If Grabs proves that this year wasn't a fluke, then he gets something more long term.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:26 PM
  #8
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
  #9
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
We do have to remember that this is just one season to work off of. I'd like to see them throw a few different kinds of offers on the table.

Something like $9 million/4 years (2.25m annual, cap hit)
$ 7 million/3 years ($2.33m annual, cap hit)
$ 5 million/2 years ($2.5m annual, cap hit)
$ 2.5 million/ 1 year

We gotta keep the current salary structure in order for as long as possible. You don't want him heavily eclipsing Moulson off of one year's worth of work when their production is similar (even if their games are completely different.)

We also know that Grabner is a slow starter. I'd like to see how he starts next season before he gets over $3 million. That said, I'd gladly offer him the longer deals above with the hope that he'd take the security and potentially be a bargain in later seasons.

I'm pretty sure Snow will point right at Matt Moulson's salary and offer Grabner one year to prove himself at a significant raise, or security at decreased yearly cost. (Seems to be Snow's modus operandi.)

Edit - Or what Law said, but with a lot more words.

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:29 PM
  #10
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,978
vCash: 500
Grabner is worth more than Moulson. The situations aren't comparable. Yeah Moulson did it two years in a row. But Grabner's talent is far less common.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
  #11
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
I really like the 4 year 9 mil option. Good length, low cap hit, and I only expect him to improve next year.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
  #12
Hipietro
Registered User
 
Hipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,430
vCash: 500
15 years, about $4.5 million per.

I think this sounds about right.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:46 PM
  #13
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Grabner is worth more than Moulson. The situations aren't comparable. Yeah Moulson did it two years in a row. But Grabner's talent is far less common.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Moulson got $2.45 million after his coming out party. Grabner should expect something similar for a one year deal. Grabner can say he's worth more and point to his ES production. In the reverse, Snow can mention how he hasn't done much on the PP since we've had him there. You can state that the situations aren't comparable (because the players are different), but the overall production is comparable, and because of that you can damn well be sure that it'll be mentioned at negotiation time. Salaries are also relative within the NHL and within a team's own salary structure. Comparisons will be made.

Negotiating is always point-counterpoint. Yes, Grabner has top of the NHL speed, but he's like Moulson who self-creates more than he creates for others. Grabner needs guys who can retrieve the puck and pass it to areas (especially one play is already in the offensive zone. His speed is disruptive, but he also needs other guys to be able to dislodge the puck.) Grabner often leaves the defensive zone early. (He's very much not alone in doing that on our team.) I like that he backchecks hard, but he also isn't going to be knocking very many people off of the puck. Snow is going to be aware of every plus and minus. Grabner's agent will know the truth of the minuses, but plug the pluses.

When you look at their total games, to me anyways, the overall importance of both players at this exact moment in time actually closes in quite a bit. If Grabner capitalizes on more chances, that could start to outweigh everything, but you don't overpay a guy for one year's worth of work or the potential you can base off of it.

$2.5 million for one year could actually work in Grabner's favor. Frans Nielsen will probably be getting something around the $2.0 - $2.5 million range and he's got many intangibles. It'll be hard for Grabner to think that he's being treated poorly on any of the above contracts because of his small body of work. You don't want to pay the guy what you think he might be worth. You want to try and pay the guy what he's worth at the moment with some projections for improvement in the future. (As opposed to paying him for the future now and moreso in the future.)

It's best for the Islanders to not blow their current salary structure out of whack. The Islanders have a lot more leverage on Grabner for this coming off-season than they will in the next if he repeats. Grabner's current numbers in one season don't dictate much more than what Moulson got. Repeat and get paid; really outdo yourself and you'll see the real ducats.

,
Mitch


Last edited by mitchy22: 04-07-2011 at 09:51 PM.
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:50 PM
  #14
RWWallpaper
Registered User
 
RWWallpaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,453
vCash: 500
Offer him the same deal you gave Moulson...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:51 PM
  #15
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
I'm not a Katie Hater, but "Isles expected to give Grabner good deal". Could she be more vague?

How's about "Isles expected to offer Grabner a Multi-Year Deal"? Meaning the Isles believe Grabner is the real deal rather than a 1 year - Covering their *ss, in case he's a flash in the pan.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:53 PM
  #16
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I'm not a Katie Hater, but "Isles expected to give Grabner good deal". Could she be more vague?

How's about "Isles expected to offer Grabner a Multi-Year Deal"? Meaning the Isles believe Grabner is the real deal rather than a 1 year - Covering their *ss, in case he's a flash in the pan.
Katie digs with a plastic shovel and only in the spots that the Isles tell her to dig in.

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:02 PM
  #17
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,546
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
The only reason I'd hesitate to give him a longterm deal is the threat that an injury could take away his speed. But as long as he has those wheels, I'm very confident in him being able to continue to produce goals at ES and SH, while not being a liability. He strikes me as a fairly ideal player to keep around longterm, because he doesn't need linemates to produce, and can bring a lot to any line he plays on -- very versatile in that regard. I am much more bullish on him than I am on Moulson. Also, if he repeats this kind of performance next season (which I certainly believe he will, or at least come very close to), or improves on it, then he'll be a lot costlier to lock up. I'd love to see him locked up for four years for 10m or less, but wouldn't even be upset if it were for 12-14m (3-3.5m per year).

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:15 PM
  #18
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Grabner has two power play goals out of his total of 33. Only two players in modern NHL history have scored more goals while tallying only twice on the power play: Petr Nedved (38 in 1992-93) and Jason Pominville (34 in 2006-07).

That is impressive.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:16 PM
  #19
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
The only reason I'd hesitate to give him a longterm deal is the threat that an injury could take away his speed. But as long as he has those wheels, I'm very confident in him being able to continue to produce goals at ES and SH, while not being a liability. He strikes me as a fairly ideal player to keep around longterm, because he doesn't need linemates to produce, and can bring a lot to any line he plays on -- very versatile in that regard. I am much more bullish on him than I am on Moulson. Also, if he repeats this kind of performance next season (which I certainly believe he will, or at least come very close to), or improves on it, then he'll be a lot costlier to lock up. I'd love to see him locked up for four years for 10m or less, but wouldn't even be upset if it were for 12-14m (3-3.5m per year).
Just to be clear, I also am a lot more bullish on Grabner. I think he'll always be Cy Young-ish, but I think he's got potential to be a 40 goal scorer. That said, we need more information to really work on.

I don't want to pay him $3.0-$3.5 million/year based on one season. I'm not saying he won't be worth it, but I don't want to pay him that for next season.

I'm also considering that we have to re-sign Okposo, Bailey and Comeau, as well. I think you can safely set Moulson's 2010-11 salary as a soft cap limit for our RFAs next season. Guys might eclipse it, but not by a ton. I could see a one year deal getting a it more, but I really don't see an extended payday over Moulson's 2010-11 salary coming for anyone next season. (I reserve the right to be absolutely wrong.)

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:18 PM
  #20
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Grabner probably gets a little more than Moulson based on the fact that he's #2 in the league (behind Nielsen) in shorties, #1 in plus/minus on the team, #1 in goals on the team, even has the best shooting % among the scorers on the team. And not putting Moulson down in any way, but Grabs has a certain "edge of your seat/always pay attention when he's on the ice" kind of aspect about him. I think on a one-year deal, it'll give him $3.5M. I'd see if he signs a 2-year for a flat $6.5M first though ($3M, $3.5M), as long as we can have some assurance he'll be an RFA at the end.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:18 PM
  #21
Sideshow Bob
Registered User
 
Sideshow Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: springfield prison
Country: United States
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Katie digs with a plastic shovel and only in the spots that the Isles tell her to dig in.

,
Mitch
true. while im looking forward to the team working out a good deal with grabs, the article itself didn't really say much. There was no insight into if the isles were looking at a 1-2 year deal or a 4-15 year deal. its news when the deal is made, right now the article is vague fluff.

For those who get the print edition of newsday - did anyone notice that while the article had correct stats for grabs, the bulleted points under the headline and score from last night had different numbers - 1 less total goal and 1 less shorty. its as if it was prepared after his fist goal of the night but before the second. Now I've never tried to print a newspaper myself, but i imagine that the dealine for printing would be the same for the bulleted points as it would be for the body of the text. dont know if that error falls on Katie or the editors. now a big deal really, more amusing than anything else. just another example of the amaturish coverage we get.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:21 PM
  #22
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Grabner has two power play goals out of his total of 33. Only two players in modern NHL history have scored more goals while tallying only twice on the power play: Petr Nedved (38 in 1992-93) and Jason Pominville (34 in 2006-07).

That is impressive.
It's a good AND bad stat. If he does something with future power play time and keeps up ES production, it's an amazing stat. If he fails to thrive on the PP, even if it's through no fault of his own, it's actually a limiting factor. (Just the lack of PP production, obviously the ES+SH production is an extremely good stat.)

...the ES+SH goals/production are very impressive.

...also, I don't want any of this to come off like I'm downplaying Grabner. I actually liked his play even before he was scoring. I like that he looked annoyed at our losing and seemed to play hard on most shifts (even while he wasn't producing. Obviously, we all like his speed.)

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
  #23
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,880
vCash: 500
two year deal max! It would be beneficial to keep him a RFA when the deal ends.

Unless he is willing to give a Nielsen/MacDonald like long term (5ish years) discount.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
  #24
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Grabner probably gets a little more than Moulson based on the fact that he's #2 in the league (behind Nielsen) in shorties, #1 in plus/minus on the team, #1 in goals on the team, even has the best shooting % among the scorers on the team. And not putting Moulson down in any way, but Grabs has a certain "edge of your seat/always pay attention when he's on the ice" kind of aspect about him. I think on a one-year deal, it'll give him $3.5M. I'd see if he signs a 2-year for a flat $6.5M first though ($3M, $3.5M), as long as we can have some assurance he'll be an RFA at the end.
I won't be shocked to see this happen by the way. I do think that Snow is going to keep the number as close to Moulson's 2010-11 as possible. On a one year, I could easily see $3 - $3.5 million. I'm just not negotiating for Grabner...I want him to be happy, but I want my team to get the most bang for the buck.

I was actually originally going to put $3 million on a one year deal, but I decided to cap it near Moulson since these are numbers I'm hoping for that I don't believe are unreasonable. (Favorable, but not unreasonable.)

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
  #25
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
true. while im looking forward to the team working out a good deal with grabs, the article itself didn't really say much. There was no insight into if the isles were looking at a 1-2 year deal or a 4-15 year deal. its news when the deal is made, right now the article is vague fluff.

For those who get the print edition of newsday - did anyone notice that while the article had correct stats for grabs, the bulleted points under the headline and score from last night had different numbers - 1 less total goal and 1 less shorty. its as if it was prepared after his fist goal of the night but before the second. Now I've never tried to print a newspaper myself, but i imagine that the dealine for printing would be the same for the bulleted points as it would be for the body of the text. dont know if that error falls on Katie or the editors. now a big deal really, more amusing than anything else. just another example of the amaturish coverage we get.
The physical paper in general has gone through a great decline for many years. I wouldn't be shocked if the error was procedural or solely falls on Katie. Stats should almost always stay consistent in when they're from. Discrepancies should be noted. Errors occur often. It's just something that is easy to miss and who knows how much time editors really get to spend on the sports pages. (Of course, with the shrinking paper, one would at least think there'd be less to go through. Then again, employees might have other duties on their website now.)

OK, I think my busted finger has done a lot more typing than it should have. I've also become respond-happy.

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.