HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McIllrath Signs ATO

Old
04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
EEDAWGZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Well a Gordie Howe hat trick includes a fight so...
YES, I know this my good man, But big Mac is'nt really projected to be an offensive powerhouse

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Very true...Lots of players come out of Jrs as the toughest guy on the block, but upon reaching the pro level they might not even be the toughest guy on the line they play on. The thing is, in the past the AHL had tough guys but the better guys were at the NHL level. Noways, there is no shortage of enforcers at the AHL level, probably more than at the NHL level. McIlrath is going to be thrown right into the mix there. But hey, all these tough guys start somewhere. I look back at Eric Cairns because I think there are some similarities. Not sure what he did in Jrs, if he even did play Jrs, but at the AHL level Cairns tore it up. In the mid 90's Cairns spent two years at Bingo and punished people. No joke...after a while nobody wanted to fight the guy. He came to the Rangers highly touted as a tough guy and in his first 5 fights or so he beat his opponents pretty good. Then he met Craig Berube and Berube smoked him. He ended up losing a few more after than and was labeled as having a glass jaw. He was maybe 21 at the time. Rangers send him to the pack after a season and he refines his game. He was one of thier better defenders, and the Isles snatch him up. He goes to the Coliseum to become one of the most feared and best enforcers in the game at the time. He fought everyone and beat the elite at the trade, but he also became a decent defenseman. Jagr once said Cairns was the one guy he hated to play against because he knew every time he did he would take physical abuse.

Back to McIlrath...There is plenty of time to grow into the role for him though. The fighting will come, and he is already elite at that for his age group, but I am really hoping he can impose his will on opposing forwards like he did in Jrs. Hitting, and playing physical is an art, and a gift if you can do it without hurting your team by penalties and or taking yourself out of the play. But...the midset among fans and sometimes the organization itself is often "you are only as good as your last fight, your last hit, or your last game."

My point is if Mc is on the losing end of a tilt, or makes a bad play had a bad game etc, I hope that people don't write the guy off like they did with Cairns. Take him for what he is. A kid...A prospect, that needs time to learn the game at a faster level against bigger stronger opponents and develop into the guy this club wanted and still needs to this day. A physical menace on the blueline.
Lion that is one fantastic post. Really sums it up the kid is a animal but he is a kid let him grow into being a man.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
My hunch says that management is higher on Dylan than many fans are and wants him with the big club next year. Obviously that will only happen if he shows that he belongs, but there is a reason why he is here on an ATO so quickly. And really who could blame Sather and co. for feeling that way, given how quickly Stepan and McD adjusted to the pro game. I am not saying that Dylan is as good, but it is what it is. Good luck to him.
The reason he is here on an ATO is so the Rangers can get their hands on him and help continue teaching him at a higher level. I dont see him making the club next year but instead going back to the WHL and physically dominating there.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
They would be like:

No.....

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Lion that is one fantastic post. Really sums it up the kid is a animal but he is a kid let him grow into being a man.
Thanks man! ...I'm excited to see what the future brings with him.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:03 PM
CH2

V-tank and McIlrath paired together would be exactly like the bash brothers. V-tank is Fulton, a little smaller, huge shot. McIlrath is Portman, big guy, hits like a train, sticks up for teammates.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Very true...Lots of players come out of Jrs as the toughest guy on the block, but upon reaching the pro level they might not even be the toughest guy on the line they play on. The thing is, in the past the AHL had tough guys but the better guys were at the NHL level. Noways, there is no shortage of enforcers at the AHL level, probably more than at the NHL level. McIlrath is going to be thrown right into the mix there. But hey, all these tough guys start somewhere. I look back at Eric Cairns because I think there are some similarities. Not sure what he did in Jrs, if he even did play Jrs, but at the AHL level Cairns tore it up. In the mid 90's Cairns spent two years at Bingo and punished people. No joke...after a while nobody wanted to fight the guy. He came to the Rangers highly touted as a tough guy and in his first 5 fights or so he beat his opponents pretty good. Then he met Craig Berube and Berube smoked him. He ended up losing a few more after than and was labeled as having a glass jaw. He was maybe 21 at the time. Rangers send him to the pack after a season and he refines his game. He was one of thier better defenders, and the Isles snatch him up. He goes to the Coliseum to become one of the most feared and best enforcers in the game at the time. He fought everyone and beat the elite at the trade, but he also became a decent defenseman. Jagr once said Cairns was the one guy he hated to play against because he knew every time he did he would take physical abuse.

Back to McIlrath...There is plenty of time to grow into the role for him though. The fighting will come, and he is already elite at that for his age group, but I am really hoping he can impose his will on opposing forwards like he did in Jrs. Hitting, and playing physical is an art, and a gift if you can do it without hurting your team by penalties and or taking yourself out of the play. But...the midset among fans and sometimes the organization itself is often "you are only as good as your last fight, your last hit, or your last game."

My point is if Mc is on the losing end of a tilt, or makes a bad play had a bad game etc, I hope that people don't write the guy off like they did with Cairns. Take him for what he is. A kid...A prospect, that needs time to learn the game at a faster level against bigger stronger opponents and develop into the guy this club wanted and still needs to this day. A physical menace on the blueline.
Great stuff Lion.

Also, I do not see any point what-so-ever for McIlrath to drop em with a legit heavy-weight goon in the AHL. None.

He should fight like Doug Murray in SJ fights, when challenged/standing up for himself or when its called for (like if someone is run over and he is close by). Any team can carry a 12th forward to drop em with another goon just to wake the team up. That's not McI's job.

He is a good D who should focus on playing hockey and being physical. He really has no chance to be as strong as the legit heavy weights at the age of 19, and can only loose by dropping em with the best in the AHL.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Great stuff Lion.

Also, I do not see any point what-so-ever for McIlrath to drop em with a legit heavy-weight goon in the AHL. None.

He should fight like Doug Murray in SJ fights, when challenged/standing up for himself or when its called for (like if someone is run over and he is close by). Any team can carry a 12th forward to drop em with another goon just to wake the team up. That's not McI's job.

He is a good D who should focus on playing hockey and being physical. He really has no chance to be as strong as the legit heavy weights at the age of 19, and can only loose by dropping em with the best in the AHL.
Very True. I would be very happy if he turned into Doug Murray.

How Rangers can't be excited about this kid is beyond baffling.

The Rangers had Adam Graves hang out with right after the draft...enough said...now it is time to get Beuke back in the organization and teach the kid of to play the position the way he did.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

The Rangers had Adam Graves hang out with right after the draft...enough said...now it is time to get Beuke back in the organization and teach the kid of to play the position the way he did.
Beuke... I'm thinkin the exact same thing.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:31 PM
terrrrrible

So is he playing this weekend? I'm possibly going up to Boston on Saturday for the Yankees game, wouldn't mind shooting down to Hartford afterwards to catch the Whale game.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:56 PM
SML

You can't come in with the reputation McIlrath has and think he's not going to have to back it up. There's alot of guys at the AHL level who are dying to catch a break, and if one of them can dust off a reputed tough high draft pick, you can bet your money they will do it. If he refuses them, it's going to look bad. That said, he should pick his spots carefully, and not go up just to fight everyone. But I would enjoy the hell out of it if he were to show up like a gunfighter and scare the hell out of everybody kicking ass and taking names. It's one tough way to make a living, and as we see with Boogy and Colton Orr this year, a concussion can really spell the end of it all for you. I'd like to see him take the Chara route in fighting, you know know the guy isn't scared, he just doesn't do it every game. Theres a good chance theyre going to have a tight leash on him though, so they can see him play instead of sit in the box the whole time.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:07 PM
HockeyBurd*

I hope he's able to cope in the pros without that commentator from the Moose Jaw that screams his name like psycho every time he throws a hit.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
GrizMint

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
I hope he's able to cope in the pros without that commentator from the Moose Jaw that screams his name like psycho every time he throws a hit.
Haha I was thinking the same thing. The rangers should have brought him up to the whale on a tryout basis too. How is Mcillrath supposed to get pumped up and smash people without his personal MC?

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:01 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Without the shield tho..please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:07 PM
MPJohnny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
So is he playing this weekend? I'm possibly going up to Boston on Saturday for the Yankees game, wouldn't mind shooting down to Hartford afterwards to catch the Whale game.
Yah Im wondering the same I'm not sure anyone knows yet. Going Friday night I would love to see this kid play

MPJohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Should be really interesting to see how he plays at a more difficult level. Is there anyway to watch free AHL streams?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Oh golly gee ATO. ****ing fantastic. See this...

That's an NHL jersey.

NHL >>>>>>>>>>> ATO

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

That's an NHL jersey.

NHL >>>>>>>>>>> ATO
I'd like to see Cam Fowler putting up those points on this team.

Oh wait, he wouldn't because the top 6 he's passing to is ABSOLUTELY STACKED.

Big pass on Fowler, **** that soft tissue paper crap.

Now if you replace that with a Vlad Tarasenko jersey, i'd respectfully agree with you.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

That's an NHL jersey.

NHL >>>>>>>>>>> ATO
How long do you plan on fretting over this? Get over it.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Pugs35

Quote:

That's an NHL jersey.

NHL >>>>>>>>>>> ATO
I haven't put anyone on ignore in quite awhile, so thanks for this.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
How long do you plan on fretting over this? Get over it.
A)When the team starts winning.

or

B)When McIlrath puts up 40+ points in an NHL season.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'd like to see Cam Fowler putting up those points on this team.

Oh wait, he wouldn't because the top 6 he's passing to is ABSOLUTELY STACKED.

Big pass on Fowler, **** that soft tissue paper crap.

Now if you replace that with a Vlad Tarasenko jersey, i'd respectfully agree with you.
Fine Tarasenko it is then. There's about 15 guys I would've taken before McIlrath, you can choose any jersey you want.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
A)When the team starts winning.

or

B)When McIlrath puts up 40+ points in an NHL season.
That sounds pretty constructive... Why don't you study the list of players drafted after Hugh Jessiman while you're at it....

Old
04-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That sounds pretty constructive... Why don't you study the list of players drafted after Hugh Jessiman while you're at it....
I already have, it's a ****ing all-star team. But go right ahead and support the management responsible for this, because that's also constructive.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I already have, it's a ****ing all-star team. But go right ahead and support the management responsible for this, because that's also constructive.
Support like we had any say in who they drafted? It's called not dwelling on things you had absolutely no control over, and more importantly, moving on from it...

-What if Cherepanov didn't pass away?
-What if we didn't draft Jessiman?
-What if we won the shootout against Philly last year?

I could come up a whole laundry list of things you can fret over if it gives you enjoyment in doing so....