HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #81 vs. Atlanta Thrashers

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #81 vs. Atlanta Thrashers
Henrik Lundqvist 36 44.44%
Brandon Prust 15 18.52%
Other 30 37.04%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Fleury4ever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I said tanking was one option.

I said the main option is being smart in free agency. I said Sather has made plenty of bad offseason signings and it has kept us in that cycle I was talking about.

EDIT: And it's not really tanking, it's rebuilding (not necessarily losing on purpose) but still I said the cycle is broken through smart free agency.
There is really one option: Have a good GM, because whether it's drafting, free agency, or blowing Jim Dolan, a bad GM will mess up any good plan.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
richter stepped up for big games, he didn't implode. Henrik was paid before he earned anything for this team.

I'll criticize him, but i know he deserves better. he deserves a team that can score in front of him.
So what that he's getting paid what he's being paid? Since the lockout, the goaltending position has been the only consistent thing on this team.

There have been 3 constants this season:

1.) Lundqvist;

2.) Prust;

3.) Inconsistent offense.

2010-2011 season in a nutshell.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:46 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
I completely agree that Sather has made some bad signings and some bad decisions. Boogaard, Brashear, yeah, BAD.

However, 95% of fans thought Gomez and Drury were going to be superstars.

Sather rightfully should be hung out to dry for the FA signings in retrospect, but what are the odds that they ALL turned out to be bad?

And, technically what's going on now is a slow rebuild. The problem is that this team does not have a game breaker. Gaborik is supposed to be, but he hasn't been this year.
I actually am not blaming Sather. I was simply saying that we haven't had good signings and that has kept the cycle going. Yea they were the right signings at the time and part of it has to do with luck.

The problem with the rebuild, is like I said, we don't have the real true star in the system and when you have to rely on free agency it's really a dice game (which we constantly lose at).

It's a cycle we aren't going to get out of anytime soon unless we make some good signings in the next couple of years (or find a gem in the draft and get a true star).

ThisYearsModel

This year's Torts is the Zoloft version.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Pretty sickening thaat some of you show no emotion and would consider missikng the playoffs ok. We've been in a damn playoff position all ****ing season and that can be reversed within a matter of days. I feel like absolute ****.
on top of that we have to root for other teams to lose so that we can get in...

even if the canes lose tomorrow or sunday, do you think the rangers can actually win on saturday?

it doesn't look good

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Pretty sickening thaat some of you show no emotion and would consider missikng the playoffs ok. We've been in a damn playoff position all ****ing season and that can be reversed within a matter of days. I feel like absolute ****.
But it's all about, the future

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Take a look at the standings. An 8th place finish doesn't tell the whole story. Tampa's in 5th place with 99 points. A whopping 8 points ahead of us. FLA is in last, with 70 points. We've been able to maintain a borderline playoff team, while breaking in how many rookies in our line-up? And we've been hit with some pretty bad injuries -- key injuries.

Again, I don't understand how anyone can assume Torts underachieved this year with the group in front of him.
I've been looking at the standings all year, with us in the top eight. If I look at them Sunday and don't see us top eight, I'm going to be upset.

Let's say I agree that he hasn't underachieved (I think he has underachieved, but for the sake of argument). I definitely do not think we have overachieved. I think he has done an average job, at best. I'm not content with a coach doing an average job.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Not when we've been in playoff contention since October 29th and blow it during the last month of the season.

That's a pretty big phat fail. IMO.

last month of the season? Are we talking final 30 days, or the final month, ie, April? In April the Rangers have won 4 out of 6 points, thats .667 hockey, or 109 point hockey for a season.

Final 30 days? we've won 17 out of a possible 24 points, that's .708 hockey, or 116 points over the course of the whole season.

What the heck are you talking about?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
I don't really understand what you're looking for? Do you want us to all be miserable like you are right now? I am not trying to insult you, but I think most of us understand that this is the situation that has happened to us, and while we are pissed that we are going to make the playoffs, sitting here and b***** on a forum won't change anything.

We could either sit here and act like a bunch of children complaining about how the teams sucks, and cry about how we will miss the playoffs, or understand no matter how mad we get it won't make a difference and sit here and analyze what got us into this situation.

While you have to understand that we are all sure as hell pissed, sitting here and b***** and moaning won't change anything man.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
silverfish
Mr. Glass

This was a rant I had on my blog from tonight's game...figured I'd share it with the rest of you...

They may be cursed, and it may suck sometimes, but you endure. You endure for the good times. Ups and downs, they’re all part about being a fan of a team. And if you’re reading this fans opinion of the team, then you’re probably a big fan too. I chose this path, chose to love this team. And sometimes it’s gonna hurt, but it will pay off when that opportunity comes. When the fans waiting 54 years for that cup in 94…I’d give anything to know that feeling, it’s a shame I was too young to remember it.

Fans endure. You endure the bad times, I remember not making the playoffs from 1997-2005. I remember Alexei Cherepanov falling into the Rangers laps at the draft, the euphoria when he was taken and the ultimate depression when he passed away two years later. You remember Jagr throwing a punch at Gomez in game 1 against the Devils missing and separating his shoulder in 2006; followed by the elation when he stepped onto the ice and surprised a city when he played in game 4. You remember the Rangers sweeping the Thrashers a year later to only be bounced by none other than Chris Drury and those dreaded 7.7 seconds. You remember the Rangers getting revenge on the Devils in the 08 playoffs, reminding the New Jersey rivals just who the ultimate king is between the two organizations. You remember Ollie Jokinen being called upon as the Rangers last breath…

Ups and downs…endure. We’re down right now but 24 hours from now we can be even further down, or higher than ever.

Hope. Endure. Cheer. Take the bad to heart and know the good will cancel it out. The good will come.

I love this team.

Lets Go Rangers

tl;dr

losing sucks, bad and good all a part of being a fan. But we're all here because we love the team, and the good will come, because, it has to, right?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
But it's all about, the future

Hahaha, I love that picture. It's a staple in my image folder.

The other awesome thing about the future is hover-boards, we'll probably see them about the same time the Rangers win their next cup.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I don't wanna hear about the damn injuries. Pittsburgh is missing two of the top 5 best players in the World right now, and Staal, Crosby, and Malkin only played one game together all year. ONE. Look where they are in the standings.

Old
04-07-2011, 09:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I've been looking at the standings all year, with us in the top eight. If I look at them Sunday and don't see us top eight, I'm going to be upset.

Let's say I agree that he hasn't underachieved (I think he has underachieved, but for the sake of argument). I definitely do not think we have overachieved. I think he has done an average job, at best. I'm not content with a coach doing an average job.
Take the Gaborik of last year and this team is sitting comfortably in 4th-6th or something.

I don't think Torts did an average job, but different strokes for different folks.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I still think the biggest mistake we made was not signing Ilya Kovalchuk this past offseason. I think having Ilya here woulda made Gabbys life a whole lot easier, especially since all the pressure goes right on Kovalchuks shoulders.

Blech.

Old
04-07-2011, 09:52 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Oh cmon, nobody enjoyed that Jerry York joke? lame...

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
last month of the season? Are we talking final 30 days, or the final month, ie, April? In April the Rangers have won 4 out of 6 points, thats .667 hockey, or 109 point hockey for a season.

Final 30 days? we've won 17 out of a possible 24 points, that's .708 hockey, or 116 points over the course of the whole season.

The three weakest teams we've played in the past month? Ottawa, Isles, Atlanta. 1 point out of 6. Can't make the playoffs like that.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
The three weakest teams we've played in the past month? Ottawa, Isles, Atlanta. 1 point out of 6. Can't make the playoffs like that.
Yeah and Hank stole the 1 point freakin Hamburglar style.

Old
04-07-2011, 09:54 PM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I don't wanna hear about the damn injuries. Pittsburgh is missing two of the top 5 best players in the World right now, and Staal, Crosby, and Malkin only played one game together all year. ONE. Look where they are in the standings.
Bylsma>>>>>Torts

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Forgot the *s. Most of February and the end of March cost us big. And this loss tonight during crunch time is just pathetic.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
This was a rant I had on my blog from tonight's game...figured I'd share it with the rest of you...

They may be cursed, and it may suck sometimes, but you endure. You endure for the good times. Ups and downs, they’re all part about being a fan of a team. And if you’re reading this fans opinion of the team, then you’re probably a big fan too. I chose this path, chose to love this team. And sometimes it’s gonna hurt, but it will pay off when that opportunity comes. When the fans waiting 54 years for that cup in 94…I’d give anything to know that feeling, it’s a shame I was too young to remember it.

Fans endure. You endure the bad times, I remember not making the playoffs from 1997-2005. I remember Alexei Cherepanov falling into the Rangers laps at the draft, the euphoria when he was taken and the ultimate depression when he passed away two years later. You remember Jagr throwing a punch at Gomez in game 1 against the Devils missing and separating his shoulder in 2006; followed by the elation when he stepped onto the ice and surprised a city when he played in game 4. You remember the Rangers sweeping the Thrashers a year later to only be bounced by none other than Chris Drury and those dreaded 7.7 seconds. You remember the Rangers getting revenge on the Devils in the 08 playoffs, reminding the New Jersey rivals just who the ultimate king is between the two organizations. You remember Ollie Jokinen being called upon as the Rangers last breath…

Ups and downs…endure. We’re down right now but 24 hours from now we can be even further down, or higher than ever.

Hope. Endure. Cheer. Take the bad to heart and know the good will cancel it out. The good will come.

I love this team.

Lets Go Rangers

tl;dr

losing sucks, bad and good all a part of being a fan. But we're all here because we love the team, and the good will come, because, it has to, right?
Great post man, that was an amazing summation of what it's like to be a fan.

You can't go to the extreme's, even though you suffer through the hard times (as comes with being a fan) it just makes that moment so much sweeter when we finally win because then you reminisce of all the bad times, and some of the good times, and look back on the journey.

We all have to understand that it is tough being a fan sometimes, but when our moment comes it will make it that much sweeter.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
I still think the biggest mistake we made was not signing Ilya Kovalchuk this past offseason. I think having Ilya here woulda made Gabbys life a whole lot easier, especially since all the pressure goes right on Kovalchuks shoulders.

Blech.
we didn't have the cap space

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:57 PM
3Four3

Anyone on the market who specializes with a slapshot? Someone who doesn't care what's in his way: Raises the stick and blasts away.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
however you want to slice it, its over .700 hockey. and weve LOST ground on the playoffs in that span.

if we won those games, but lost against some of the better teams, liek Boston, or San Jose in that time span, it still amounts to the same thing. you can nitpick it any way you want, and point to a VERY small percentage of games making that the rule rather than the exception, but the fact is, this team has played some damn good hockey during this stretch run. The fact that we may find ourselves on the outside looking in despite playing at a pace BETTER than even the Canucks have played this season is a testament to the way the Carolina Hurricanes have played rather than anythign against this team.

Old
04-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

Don't make the mistake of thinking I won't be furious if we fall short. I'm heated right now. We've busted our ***** all year long -- for what? Even a 1st round blowout would at least fill some sort of void in my life.

But I can't agree with your outlook on Torts. I was a big Renney guy, and didn't really care for the move Slats made a few years back. I'm not crazy about Torts, at all. I just can't imagine how another coach would have more success with the group in front of him.

Who would have had more success than Torts? Who would you replace him with?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:58 PM
broadwayblue

As the saying goes, 1 point at the beginning of the season counts just as much as 1 one at the end. Unfortunately we could have used a couple more at the beginning.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote