HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #81 vs. Atlanta Thrashers

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #81 vs. Atlanta Thrashers
Henrik Lundqvist 36 44.44%
Brandon Prust 15 18.52%
Other 30 37.04%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-07-2011, 10:22 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
One thing that has been completely overlooked in tonight's bash the team session is that these guys might just be totally gassed physically and mentally.

They might have absolutely nothing left to give.

As some of the rational posters have stated, they've played .700 hockey down the stretch, and lost ground to almost everybody. That has to wear on a team mentally.

Have the Hurricanes ever been in a position where they lost points when they weren't playing and didn't have a game or two to make it up? Seems like every Ranger win was countered in the game in hand either by Carolina or Buffalo and for a while, New Jersey.

I think everything from the style of play, the games in hand issue that they were fighting all year, the injuries, and the bad luck all together finally beat these guys.
Definitely a major part of it. They've looked fatigued for awhile now. Players like Boyle, Prust, Staal, Girardi, Stepan, McD have never played as many minutes as they did this year.

Some of these players shouldn't be playing so many minutes in the first place and are doing so because the way the team is structured. The fact that players such as EC, Wolski, and Avery have been so inconsistent and are unable to play regular shifts have really taxed the top 9. They need a better distribution of talent and consistent players up and down the lineup.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
He would either:

A. Break his wrist in the airport, ruining his shot.

B. Somehow get terrible once he stepped on the garden ice.

C. Or my personal favorite, die. That's just how the Rangers roll.
is it terrible that i laughed really hard at this post?

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
And my quest to go all night being pissed off and moody like an 8 yr old kid whose parents won't get them a happy meal has been ultimately ended.

**** you HP

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
So what? We lost those games. Time to come back form fantasy land. This is planet Earth, where we suck and Detroit doesn't.
yeah, we lost those games, many of which because pucks went into our own nets off of sticks, skates, butts, legs, whatever. Rangers also hit god knows how many posts in that stretch. Remember where Gabby went 3 straight games of hitting a post? AA missed like 2 open nets in 1 game, Dubi too.

It's not like the Rangers were getting smoked out there, like they were tonight, those games were coin flips, they didnt land our way, and we're paying the price now because even though our record is rock solid this past month, we've lost ground.

This team DESERVES to be in the playoffs. Theyve played great hockey, theyve played consistent hockey, they just havent had ANY Breaks go their ways. like NONE.

how many pucks have opposing players knocked into their own nets this year. maybe like 5-10? I bet you the Rangers have put in about 30 goals into their own net, if not more.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DoTheBlue
No chokemon allowed

The PP failed this team. You want to look back on the year for reasons this team may be on the outside looking in. That's it! Look no further.

hpNYR
HF Forecaster

As far as the player of the game. You know it's bad when the player of the game is Matt Gilroy.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
This team DESERVES to be in the playoffs. Theyve played great hockey, theyve played consistent hockey, they just havent had ANY Breaks go their ways. like NONE.

how many pucks have opposing players knocked into their own nets this year. maybe like 5-10? I bet you the Rangers have put in about 30 goals into their own net, if not more.
Good teams make their own breaks. You're making too many excuses. This is two years in a row now.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrianBoyle
4 teams in 5 yrs

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
As far as the player of the game. You know it's bad when the player of the game is Matt Gilroy.
Thank god I'm not the only one who thougt he was.

I want to see that Gilroy more often, because if he plays like that, he's certainly a good piece to have with his versatility.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
yeah, we lost those games, many of which because pucks went into our own nets off of sticks, skates, butts, legs, whatever. Rangers also hit god knows how many posts in that stretch. Remember where Gabby went 3 straight games of hitting a post? AA missed like 2 open nets in 1 game, Dubi too.

It's not like the Rangers were getting smoked out there, like they were tonight, those games were coin flips, they didnt land our way, and we're paying the price now because even though our record is rock solid this past month, we've lost ground.

Ok I'll give you the deflections, we've had bad breaks there, but hitting the post and missing the net isn't bad luck. It's called failing.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I wanted Lavs at the time, too. Forgot all about that.
Yes, but . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And Laviolette coached a stacked Philly team.....to the 7th seed of the playoffs last year.

Listen, I can understand if you dislike Torts. But the team has been playing incredible hockey and nobody praises Torts for that. We lay a few turds that ****ing ruin the season and the same bunch of people always come out and bash Torts.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to those guys, some of them are the most knowledgeable on this board, but I really can't find it in me to blame Torts for "not waking the team up" or "not coaching them right" when we missed 4 blatantly wide open nets tonight, and our ****ing captain limped out onto the ice with crutches next to Steven ****ing McDonald and they couldn't wake up.
This.

Quote:
I've acknowledged time and time again that Slats is the root of the problem. But he's going nowhere. That being the case, we're going to need to overachieve as a team to cover for his idiocy. I don't believe that we have overachieved with Torts, or that we will be overachieving with him any time soon.
What makes you think we'll overachieve with another coach? Why risk completely revamping the team and personnel when there's absolutely no guarantee that his replacement surpasses realistic expectations?

Slats is the problem. He has been the problem. But, you don't fire a head coach that has his pubescent, injured team in playoff position.

What exactly is wrong with Torts, if you don't mind me asking? Do you prefer the softer team Renney deployed? A team that tried to win 1-0? Should we re-visit some of the coaching deficiencies guys like Muckler, Lowe, or ****ing Trots possessed?

When I hear fans complaining about coaches, I think -- The fan's too stupid to identify the real problem with the team. He's blaming the coach, because he simply doesn't understand the dynamics involved in the game. Stupid people, make it difficult for the few fans that actually 'get it'.

You're not even close ,to being stupid. You can turn into an everyday crack/meth head, and your opinion will be at the top of my list. I view you as a guy that understands things.

I just can't agree with your outlook though. You don't fire a coach that has his team a number of games over .500. A coach that can't even give his starting goaltender a night off. Or his banged up, over-used 1st pairing dmen. A coach that has lost the fire to his team twice to injury this season. A coach that can't get his former 40G scoring winger in motion. Anyone blaming Torts, are just looking for the easy way out, imo. Or, they dislike him to the point where they don't care who replaces him. They think any type of change is going to have a positive turnaround.

That's ****ing scary thinking right there.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:26 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
The PP failed this team. You want to look back on the year for reasons this team may be on the outside looking in. That's it! Look no further.
Something like 1 goal in their last 27?

Old
04-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Ok I'll give you the deflections, we've had bad breaks there, but hitting the post and missing the net isn't bad luck. It's called failing.
Dubinsky hit the post twice in 1 game and both were deflections...Deflected, and hit the post...im almost positive I remember a game where that happened and we lost...i wanna say it was against the Panthers...That's not failing, thats just bad luck.

Old
DoTheBlue
No chokemon allowed

Quote:
Something like 1 goal in their last 27?
Yup. Had chances in key situations and failed miserably. All this other talk of bad luck and curses is nice conversation but the PP is the reason this team is in the position they are in.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Yes, but . . . .

This.

What makes you think we'll overachieve with another coach? Why risk completely revamping the team and personnel when there's absolutely no guarantee that his replacement surpasses realistic expectations?

Slats is the problem. He has been the problem. But, you don't fire a head coach that has his pubescent, injured team in playoff position.

What exactly is wrong with Torts, if you don't mind me asking? Do you prefer the softer team Renney deployed? A team that tried to win 1-0? Should we re-visit some of the coaching deficiencies guys like Muckler, Lowe, or ****ing Trots possessed?

When I hear fans complaining about coaches, I think -- The fan's too stupid to identify the real problem with the team. He's blaming the coach, because he simply doesn't understand the dynamics involved in the game. Stupid people, make it difficult for the few fans that actually 'get it'.

You're not even close ,to being stupid. You can turn into an everyday crack/meth head, and your opinion will be at the top of my list. I view you as a guy that understands things.

I just can't agree with your outlook though. You don't fire a coach that has his team a number of games over .500. A coach that can't even give his starting goaltender a night off. Or his banged up, over-used 1st pairing dmen. A coach that has lost the fire to his team twice to injury this season. A coach that can't get his former 40G scoring winger in motion. Anyone blaming Torts, are just looking for the easy way out, imo. Or, they dislike him to the point where they don't care who replaces him. They think any type of change is going to have a positive turnaround.

That's ****ing scary thinking right now.
Thank you for the kind words.

I really do plan on responding to this. Not right now though, I've had enough.

I'll get back to you tomorrow. I'm gonna go smoke a cigarette and go to bed...

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Dubinsky hit the post twice in 1 game and both were deflections...Deflected, and hit the post...im almost positive I remember a game where that happened and we lost...i wanna say it was against the Panthers...That's not failing, thats just bad luck.
Since you're so busy screaming what great hockey this team has been playing, what do you have to say for the PP that's seen 1 goal for their last 27...something putrid like that.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Good teams make their own breaks. You're making too many excuses. This is two years in a row now.
its not excuses, its reasoning, and other than this same old rhetoric, i havent heard a single counter argument from you. What would you change? what would a different coach change?

Old
04-07-2011, 10:32 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Alright guys, well we still have a slight chance to make it.

If CAR loses tomorrow I think we will find a way to get one point at least against NJ.

However, I think if CAR wins, even though we aren't officially eliminated I think it's over.

So we are Thrashers fan hard tomorrow, make it to the playoffs and then I think we play our best hockey against the good teams in the league. There are no scrubs in the playoffs (except the Rangers ) and we play well against good teams so it would bode well for us to some degree.

04-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Since you're so busy screaming what great hockey this team has been playing, what do you have to say for the PP that's seen 1 goal for their last 27...something putrid like that.
The Rangers have a better power play that the Philadelphia Flyers, Kings, Bruins, Coyotes, Canes, Penguins, and Predators.

Has it been bad of late? Sure. But its not the be all end all, and frankly with our personnel im not sure how to fix it.

We have no net presence a-la holmstrom, and having a big blast from the points isnt the only answer because if it was Boston wouldnt be where it is.

Tonight the PP looked good, and bad at times. of late id say its looked good about as often as its looked bad. Its just not converting.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

On a positive note the steven McDonald situation really puts life in perspective.
I just think we couldn't have asked for more out of 5,17,18,22 and 24 this year. And most other people consider 30 to be a vezina finalist.

HM to 21,27 and 38

The problem is the rest of these guys are making the good guys work too hard and by game 82 it's easy to see the fatigue.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Alright guys, well we still have a slight chance to make it.

If CAR loses tomorrow I think we will find a way to get one point at least against NJ.

However, I think if CAR wins, even though we aren't officially eliminated I think it's over.

So we are Thrashers fan hard tomorrow, make it to the playoffs and then I think we play our best hockey against the good teams in the league. There are no scrubs in the playoffs (except the Rangers ) and we play well against good teams so it would bode well for us to some degree.
oh im going to the game tomorrow, and im going to wear a thrashers jersey that i have from my own hockey playing....they better win.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
On a positive note the steven McDonald situation really puts life in perspective.
I just think we couldn't have asked for more out of 5,17,18,22 and 24 this year. And most other people consider 30 to be a vezina finalist.

HM to 21,27 and 38

The problem is the rest of these guys are making the good guys work too hard and by game 82 it's easy to see the fatigue.
Where is #10 and #31?

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
The Rangers have a better power play that the Philadelphia Flyers, Kings, Bruins, Coyotes, Canes, Penguins, and Predators.

Has it been bad of late? Sure. But its not the be all end all, and frankly with our personnel im not sure how to fix it.

We have no net presence a-la holmstrom, and having a big blast from the points isnt the only answer because if it was Boston wouldnt be where it is.

Tonight the PP looked good, and bad at times. of late id say its looked good about as often as its looked bad. Its just not converting.
Holmstrom is by far the best player to have in front of the net. By far. He's a master at it. Him and Ryan Smyth. No one even comes close.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:36 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
oh im going to the game tomorrow, and im going to wear a thrashers jersey that i have from my own hockey playing....they better win.
Can you slip something in Ward's drink before the game? Please?

Old
04-07-2011, 10:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
This was worse than the Dallas debacle.

I just don't understand it. Might as well find a 2011 playoff bandwagon to hop on, considering the Rangers aren't going to be there.
San Jose Sharks for me

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Salz

Where are you guys watching the Hurricanes game tomorrow?

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote