HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

News Article: Angry Holmgren Calls Private Meeting With Flyers

Old
04-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Villedelphia*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NielIrson View Post
What does that mean? Are you saying he can get to 60 goals... because that's doable once he gets into his prime. IF he plays for a good team.
Yeah, more or less that is what it means. I have pretty high hopes for this team in 6 years or so, given we revamp the team and surround Zherdev and Giroux with some quality players. Zherdev will be 32 and will be nearing the end of the prime of his career, still pretty much playing the best hockey of his career most likely. And giroux will be 30 which is when most players have the best year of their career.

Last edited by Villedelphia*: 04-07-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
decadentia

They aren't doing anything. Whats he mad about?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:52 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
I hope we resign Z, I mean, if he played lots of ice times with our best puck-moving d-man (Carle) like Carter does, he'd probably have hit at least 45, maybe 50 goals this year in 15-16 minutes a night guys just a force out there, a force.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:58 PM
L-train*

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
I hope we resign Z, I mean, if he played lots of ice times with our best puck-moving d-man (Carle) like Carter does, he'd probably have hit at least 45, maybe 50 goals this year in 15-16 minutes a night guys just a force out there, a force.
I mean **** i cant edit my posts but the guys just been snakebiten n hurt n stuff n he could wreck **** if he just was had more time with dynamic offensive dman like carle out there wit him.

If mike green was on the ice with him i think z might be able to hit 70 on a good year hes just that much of a weapon.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
I mean **** i cant edit my posts but the guys just been snakebiten n hurt n stuff n he could wreck **** if he just was had more time with dynamic offensive dman like carle out there wit him.

If mike green was on the ice with him i think z might be able to hit 70 on a good year hes just that much of a weapon.
I like the way you think. We've got time though. I doubt we'll win the cup anytime in the next few years, unless Leighton plays as good as we all know he can. But like I said before we've got time to bring in guys like Mike Green in a few years. Down the road a ways when we have both of them in their prime I could see them both hitting 100 pts easily.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:05 AM
L-train*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
I like the way you think. We've got time though. I doubt we'll win the cup anytime in the next few years, unless Leighton plays as good as we all know he can. But like I said before we've got time to bring in guys like Mike Green in a few years. Down the road a ways when we have both of them in their prime I could see them both hitting 100 pts.
Yo call up bruce broduerau, i got an idea...

Flyers get:
Mike Green
Knuble

Washingten get:
Carter
Bobrovsky
1st

Yo we could have the cup in like 2 or 3 if we get this done get suuuuum.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Yo call up bruce broduerau, i got an idea...

Flyers get:
Mike Green
Knuble

Washingten get:
Carter
Bobrovsky
1st

Yo we could have the cup in like 2 or 3 if we get this done get suuuuum.
That'd be a steal. Maybe we could trade Lavi for Boudreau. You watch the 24/7 ****? He could motivate like a mf'er, class guy too.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
That'd be a steal. Maybe we could trade Lavi for Boudreau. You watch the 24/7 ****? He could motivate like a mf'er, class guy too.
You can't say the F word around Richards though, it just gets him thinking about *****. Once he thinks about *****, all his leadership goes out the window.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:40 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Back on topic...

It is NEVER a good thing when your Boss's Boss has to intercede. Last year it was somewhat understandable when Holmgren jumped in the fray during that losing streak but this year it's a bit more disconcerting. Even if it was needed it doesn't make it any less troubling that he had to do an "intervention" when the reins of the team should squarly be on the coach. Micromanaging is not ideal and sometimes backfires.

Sounds like the team has tuned out Lavy a bit just like they did with Stevens which was more than a bit given those horrid losing streaks. I bet Holmgren said shape up or ship out and that he wasn't going to give the players another get out of jail free card and allow the coach to be the sacrificial lamb because they want to take shortcuts with their play as Briere admitted.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 04-08-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: errors
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
You do realize Holmgren's been doing this for the last three years, right?
You do realize that this team has faltered down the wire each of the last three years, thus prompting the GM to give them a kick in the pants.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
leave it to the veterans to dish out the verbal tongue lashings. richie is a captain that leads by example on the ice. he even managed to have a good game during that ****show tuesday night.
I guess games 81 and 82 will really show exactly whether he is blowing smoke or whether he actually can lead this team to victory.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
So can we finally trade Richards and Carter, and hopefully soon JVR and Giroux? No leadership or heart in any of them. They all suck and should be paid league minimum if they want to stay on this team.
Let's go back to 1997.....SHOW ME THE CUP OR GTFO! Is that good enough?

Old
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
You do realize that this team has faltered down the wire each of the last three years, thus prompting the GM to give them a kick in the pants.
I didn't realize at all

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
I think maybe they should look at benching Carter for final 2 games, and use Richie for only pk'ing to send them a message.

Zherdev-Carcillo-Powe
Nodl-Roo-Shelly
Hart-Holmstrom-Leino
Richards-Briere-JVR

And if they don't get the message look at Carter for our 1st back from Leafs and Richards and 4th for Clarke McCarthur, time to bust up the core !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:23 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Let's go back to 1997.....SHOW ME THE CUP OR GTFO! Is that good enough?
No because Richards and Carter were already born by then. We need to back before their even existence tainted this team, aka the years we won the cup.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:30 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
It's cause of Carter. It looks like he won't get 40 this year and that just ain't good enough!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I didn't realize at all
Figured so much.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's cause of Carter. It looks like he won't get 40 this year and that just ain't good enough!
Seriously, all he does is float and score goals. So if he's not scoring at least 40 goals that means he's floating for half the season. And he doesn't even have two broken feet as an excuse this time.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Seriously, all he does is float and score goals. So if he's not scoring at least 40 goals that means he's floating for half the season. And he doesn't even have two broken feet as an excuse this time.
I broke 3 of my feet and played slo pitch once, Carter gets no pass from me !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I think maybe they should look at benching Carter for final 2 games, and use Richie for only pk'ing to send them a message.

Zherdev-Carcillo-Powe
Nodl-Roo-Shelly
Hart-Holmstrom-Leino
Richards-Briere-JVR

And if they don't get the message look at Carter for our 1st back from Leafs and Richards and 4th for Clarke McCarthur, time to bust up the core !
I think having the GM come in and rip the guys for "a lack of winning battles along the boards" is enough for now. It is very important to win the next two game and go into the playoffs on a positive note.

If they do fail it certainly is time to look at this group and wonder if a change of scenery could help. See, a real discussion.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Back on topic...

It is NEVER a good thing when your Boss's Boss has to intercede. Last year it was somewhat understandable when Holmgren jumped in the fray during that losing streak but this year it's a bit more disconcerting. Even if it was needed it doesn't make it any less troubling that he had to do an "intervention" when the reins of the team should squarly be on the coach. Micromanaging is not ideal and sometimes backfires.

Sounds like the team has tuned out Lavy a bit just like they did with Stevens which was more than a bit given those horrid losing streaks. I bet Holmgren said shape up or ship out and that he wasn't going to give the players another get out of jail free card and allow the coach to be the sacrificial lamb because they want to take shortcuts with their play as Briere admitted.
tl;dr. Nice attempt at derailing the thread, though!

I sincerely want to get to the bottom of why Holmgren was so mad... did his barber mess up the crew cut?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Sorry, don't want to derail this panic thread (you'll be fine in the PO's)

but I really had no idea what the topic here would be, when I was browsing HF this is all I got from the headline

News Article: Angry Holmgren Calls Private

Thought and hoped it would end in Sex Line.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
I think having the GM come in and rip the guys for "a lack of winning battles along the boards" is enough for now.
He should have just had a private meeting with Carter to have that discussion, imo. It would have saved Bob's translator a lot of time.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
duffy9748

The core has made it to the ECF 2 out of the last 3 years. The year they didn't they got knocked out by the Stanley Cup champion. Not to mention they had John Stevens behind the bench for 2 of those years. I can't imagine the hate you would have for a team like Washington/Boston/Vancouver if you were a fan of them.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
This is what has become of the Flyers fans? It is a crying shame. My father, god rest his soul, would laugh at reading these comments.

Yes, statistics are exactly what determines winners and losers, not actually having your butt handed to you routinely by lesser teams by being outworked.

Heck, with all this talent, Richie and Cartsie should have had this team at 120pts this season, walking over the likes of Atlanta, the Senators, Canes, Phx, Laffs, Rangers, oh and the Thrashers two more times and Sens again, but nope, those were losses.....plus losses to Boston(2x), Caps, Pens, and Buffalo whom they play tonight.