HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Grabner to get good deal

Old
04-07-2011, 10:55 PM
PJGooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
For those who get the print edition of newsday - did anyone notice that while the article had correct stats for grabs, the bulleted points under the headline and score from last night had different numbers - 1 less total goal and 1 less shorty. its as if it was prepared after his fist goal of the night but before the second. Now I've never tried to print a newspaper myself, but i imagine that the dealine for printing would be the same for the bulleted points as it would be for the body of the text. dont know if that error falls on Katie or the editors. now a big deal really, more amusing than anything else. just another example of the amaturish coverage we get.
That falls on the editor(s).

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Islanderfan17

I'm open to them giving him a 4 year contract.

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Just to be clear, I also am a lot more bullish on Grabner. I think he'll always be Cy Young-ish, but I think he's got potential to be a 40 goal scorer. That said, we need more information to really work on.

I don't want to pay him $3.0-$3.5 million/year based on one season. I'm not saying he won't be worth it, but I don't want to pay him that for next season.

I'm also considering that we have to re-sign Okposo, Bailey and Comeau, as well. I think you can safely set Moulson's 2010-11 salary as a soft cap limit for our RFAs next season. Guys might eclipse it, but not by a ton. I could see a one year deal getting a it more, but I really don't see an extended payday over Moulson's 2010-11 salary coming for anyone next season. (I reserve the right to be absolutely wrong.)

Mitch
Bailey should be pretty easy to re-sign to a short deal for cheap, given his poor season. Okposo and Comeau will earn modest raises and probably opt for short deals also. It's signing guys like Okposo and Bailey in a couple years when they've (hopefully) broken out, as well as Tavares next summer, that becomes more of an issue. Having cost certainty over that time in regards to Grabner (if he scores 35+ goals this season on a one year deal, it'll be very difficult to lock him up longterm for anything under 4m). If we can somehow get him to sign to a 3m/year deal now for around 4 years, I think it could come around to bite us to not do it.

There's also the risk of an offer sheet (a 3m/year offer sheet only returns a 2nd round pick). The only surefire way to avoid the offer sheet, is to take him to arbitration, but I imagine he'll get considerably over 3m/year from an arbitrator given his goal totals, and then we have to requalify him every year at that amount to keep him.

I guess my opinion is that both a short term deal for small money, and a longterm deal for larger money are risks. But given how bullish I am on Grabner, the longterm deal presents the smaller risk.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:11 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
It's a good AND bad stat. If he does something with future power play time and keeps up ES production, it's an amazing stat. If he fails to thrive on the PP, even if it's through no fault of his own, it's actually a limiting factor. (Just the lack of PP production, obviously the ES+SH production is an extremely good stat.)

...the ES+SH goals/production are very impressive.

...also, I don't want any of this to come off like I'm downplaying Grabner. I actually liked his play even before he was scoring. I like that he looked annoyed at our losing and seemed to play hard on most shifts (even while he wasn't producing. Obviously, we all like his speed.)

Mitch
as if he ever had the chance to score on pp. if he played, he was always on the blue line

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:09 AM
Pnut

Seems like 2 years would be good, his explosive speed (every good offensive player leaves the d zone early-Gretz did and everybody forgot about that, just how "great" he is.)is something everyteam needs, especially this one. 2 years is good because
1-more security for him (most teams would wait for a repeat)
2-easier than a 4 yr contract to trade if two seasons from now he stinks it up or becomes an injury machine (he did have a few before coming here)
3-no need to rush to work on a much longer contract if he is at 15 goals by the all-star break next year

Last edited by Pnut: 04-08-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:14 AM
Stansfield*

I expect something in the 3m range

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:17 AM
matzbatz475

I don't see it happen under 3mil/yr

I think it will be 2 yrs 7mil

matzbatz475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:57 AM
BillD

Speculation runs rampant for fantasy GMs.
I might as well guess also. Somewhere between the Moulson 1 year and extension deal for 3 years. That would peg it at average $2.8MM per. He will want a bit more, and might get it, or we might offer some reachable bonus clauses such as 40 goals etc.

Bailey will get a QO and not much more. He hasn't earned more with his play, and we have his rights for a number of years more, so he has little to bargain with and won't negatively effect the budget.

Comeau will get a nicer raise than many here are thinking. He is a player whose games played, ice time, role and numbers (scoring, hits) have increased year-over-year. He made $600K this year. If they gave PAP $1.2MM to mess up the JT line, then Comeau will get at least that, probably a bit more because he is on both special teams and scored more goals but less points. It will not be less than PAP, the question is the term, which will probably be 1 year.

KO gets it in the neck because of the injury. Stats can't be used to make a case for himself, and scoring numbers since return have not been impressive.
I would think that Garth will want him under contract for 3 years but not long enough for his UFA year. That might mean a 2 year deal but KO will miss out on big bucks this time. I expect him to come in around what Comeau will get.
It wont ruin the budget structure.

Planning for next year with these 3 contracts this year will create space for Frans and JT next year. JT will cash in nicely, Frans will get up in the $2.5-$3.0 range.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Fantom

i would be ok with one year 2.5 or two years at like 4.5 total.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:59 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

Two years at $2.5 million/year. After that he gets big time money.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:12 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

I wouldn't be surprised if he holds out for a multi-year (3 or 4) deal instead of signing a prove-yourself deal. He's got a kid now, he's been moved around quite a bit already, and might be looking for some stability.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:19 AM
LaF16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Dude LOVES naps. Everyday on twitter. Just went shopping now nap time. Just ate now nap time. Just got up and now nap time.
hey when you are a new dad you cant wait for nap time. congrats Grabs

LaF16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Luceni

I wonder what offersheets the other teams would offer grabner?
Would the Isles match them? I could see a 4,5 mmillion multi-year offersheet from a few teams........

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Islanderfan72

Hopfully it is no longer than a 3 year deal. He is 23 so after 3 years he would still be a rfa. Anything longer than 3 years and he is a UFA.

I say a 2 year deal at 3 million per.

You have to pay a 30+ goal scorer even if you did just pick him off the waiver wire

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:58 AM
macleod50

I could see his contract following the same as Moulson's.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:22 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Two years at $2.5 million/year. After that he gets big time money.
something like this is fair for both sides. This is what I expect.

Grabner seems to have such a great attitude about things. This is a guy who was waived not too long ago, probably was close to booking flights on Orbitz for Sweden, Austria, Russia when the NYI GRABbed him.

A 2 year deal makes too much sense for both sides, I'd guess between 2.5 and $3M per.

Next year, Grabner can prove he can still score as the team wins, makes the playoffs. He'll need to become a better player all-around if the NYI have a chance to make the playoffs. They'll need better players in all positions and Grabner's role in that team may change as well. Makes no sense to commit more term and more dollars at this time.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Hipster Doofus

Grabner should be locked up. Dude has a great attitude and does not seem like one to get lazy (well, besides sleeping 20 hours a day). A real nice feel good story.

Also of note, he has been on the ice for 7 goals against on the PK. He has scored 6 and assisted on another. Thats ****ing unreal. The whole "needs to be a better two-guy thing" is silly. If he were to get better he'd be turning the PK into a PP.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:30 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Grabner should be locked up. Dude has a great attitude and does not seem like one to get lazy (well, besides sleeping 20 hours a day). A real nice feel good story.

Also of note, he has been on the ice for 7 goals against on the PK. He has scored 6 and assisted on another. Thats ****ing unreal. The whole "needs to be a better two-guy thing" is silly. If he were to get better he'd be turning the PK into a PP.
i can't find the stat, but I'd bet that Nielsen-Grabner as a PK unit have GREATLY outscored the opposing PP unit. They have 13 SH goals, a lot of those while playing together.

I'd guess that would be an NHL record, if that's even a stat anyone keeps.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I wonder what offersheets the other teams would offer grabner?
Would the Isles match them? I could see a 4,5 mmillion multi-year offersheet from a few teams........
he's an ideal candidate to be given an offer sheet , but as long as said offer wasnt ridiculous , the isles would easily match .

hopefully something gets done beforehand

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:57 PM
E_Godard

The only thing thats bothering me about all the suggested contract terms is this.. I dont want all our best players contracts expiring the same year. Itll come back to bite us hard if they keep progressing at this rate. We wont be able to afford reupping some.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
The only thing thats bothering me about all the suggested contract terms is this.. I dont want all our best players contracts expiring the same year. Itll come back to bite us hard if they keep progressing at this rate. We wont be able to afford reupping some.
Thats a great problem to have.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
as if he ever had the chance to score on pp. if he played, he was always on the blue line
Which is where he's often played in his playing history.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:18 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Bailey should be pretty easy to re-sign to a short deal for cheap, given his poor season. Okposo and Comeau will earn modest raises and probably opt for short deals also. It's signing guys like Okposo and Bailey in a couple years when they've (hopefully) broken out, as well as Tavares next summer, that becomes more of an issue. Having cost certainty over that time in regards to Grabner (if he scores 35+ goals this season on a one year deal, it'll be very difficult to lock him up longterm for anything under 4m). If we can somehow get him to sign to a 3m/year deal now for around 4 years, I think it could come around to bite us to not do it.

There's also the risk of an offer sheet (a 3m/year offer sheet only returns a 2nd round pick). The only surefire way to avoid the offer sheet, is to take him to arbitration, but I imagine he'll get considerably over 3m/year from an arbitrator given his goal totals, and then we have to requalify him every year at that amount to keep him.

I guess my opinion is that both a short term deal for small money, and a longterm deal for larger money are risks. But given how bullish I am on Grabner, the longterm deal presents the smaller risk.
I'm still talking about keeping the salary structure in order for now which will aid in keeping it intact for the near and far future. If Bailey and KO only sign for one year, then improve, what happens next? Grabner could become a starting point for one good year. I don't want that to happen. I'm not worried about this year as much as next year. Setting Grabner at $3 million for next year just risks raising everyone else a bit more than I want at this time.

I wouldn't cry about a $12 million/4 years contract for Grabner. But there's no way that I'm starting with that as Snow. It also goes a bit against what he's been doing of late.

The 4 deals I listed I believe are pro-Islanders, but not unreasonable. Considering that we've had reasonable contract offers of late, I don't want that to change. I want players to get paid exactly what they're supposed to get paid while they're RFAs.

I don't expect Grabner to be anything more than what he's been in the past but at the NHL level. I bet he'll hit 40 goals. I just don't think he'll hit much more that 25 assists. Of course, a 40-25-65 guy is worth a lot, but it still shows that Grabner more self-creates and finishes opportunities given to him more than creates for others. Which is fine, that's his game, and I like his game. (Except he DOES leave the zone early at times. Sometimes, it's really useful and pulls the D back. Other times, he gets caught away from the play if his teammates don't get the puck out.)

I agree with you about there being the risk of him blowing up and expecting more if we only sign him short-term. There's also the risk that he gets out to a slow start and has a similar year. The Islanders have some leverage and they should use it. That's all I'm saying.

Mitch

Old
04-08-2011, 07:23 PM
jdr016

How long until he can be a UFA?

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
How long until he can be a UFA?
He'll be 23 at the end of this season.

End of 2011-12: 24
End of 2012-13: 25
End of 2013-14: 26
End of 2014-15: 27

I'm pretty sure he's a UFA at the end of the 2014-15 season.
(Edit - Just unsure about the years of being an NHL player. As in, is it simply having an NHL contract, or do you actually have to play an NHL game to become an NHL player. Or, do you actually have to have your NHL contract kick-in to become an NHL player. If the last part is the case, then 7 years might be the end of 2013-14.)

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 04-08-2011 at 09:39 PM.