HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa Vs Montreal | 7pm | CBC/RDS [last home game]

Old
04-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Iamok
#Panic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
They just might!

Consistency will probably be a big issue next year, but I'd love to start the season with

Greening-Spezza-Butler
Michalek-Regin/1st-Alfie

as the top 6 and see what happens.
If that's our top 6 next year then we're in for another season much like this one.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:39 AM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

Send a message via AIM to eli J
You know, midway through the season, around January, I would've said it must suck being a Senators fan. I root for the Canadiens but I post in here occasionally because I like the Senators, and the city they are from. Apart from Ruutu and Neil (who I realize is a roleplayer) there wasn't a player I disliked on the "old" team. But the god awful stretch they had from November to January or February was brutal. But the organization seems to be taking the rebuild seriously. You can look at a lot of other teams around the league, some making the playoffs and some missing them, and I'm less hopeful for them than I am the Senators. Take the Flames, that little surge of theirs almost got them in the playoffs, so they put off all the rebuild talk, but where are they now? Probable 10th place finish with little to be excited for next year with aging guys with big contracts. The Thrashers, Wild, even my Habs. Yet again we make the playoffs but nothing is expected of us. We'll probably pick relatively high again but there isn't a whole lot to be excited about in our system outside of, idk, Leblanc, and we're still saddled with awful contracts from lame ass UFAs. Hell, you even look at the Oilers who've been rebuilding for awhile and are set to finish dead last yet again. Both the Senators and Oilers are running with AHL/college lineups, but the Senators against all odds are WINNING. You'll probably be out of the playoffs again next year but I think you'll come out of all this with a strong, longlasting team. It's just a shame Alfie won't be on the ice with them to win the cup.

Just don't trade Spezza for the love of god, he may be getting older but he'll do wonders for the young guys!

eli J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
If that's our top 6 next year then we're in for another season much like this one.
It's a rebuild, we are going to have growing pains. Why not start off that way? If they continue to play as they are right now, awesome, if not we get another top 10 pick.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
It's a rebuild, we are going to have growing pains. Why not start off that way? If they continue to play as they are right now, awesome, if not we get another top 10 pick.
The thing is, you may not even have to pick in the top 10 to get a really good player next year. The top 10 looks outstanding already and we haven't even really seen the guys that come out of nowhere in their draft year yet.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:06 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
I don't think anyone on this board should make predictions for next year based on this year haha
Anderson will get 50+ wins based on his recent performance.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Nobody is going to trade Spezza. I have a feeling he'll be a Sen for life. He's said that he really admires Alfredsson for playing with one team his whole career.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
I don't think anyone on this board should make predictions for next year based on this year haha
Don't tell that to Leaf fans. Some of them are banking on 80 points from Grabovski next year.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:15 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
We'll be hard pressed to be in playoff contention, but with Anderson for a full season, a healthier Alfie and Spezza, Butler and Greening a year further along- I don't see how we could repeat this year.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
We'll be hard pressed to be in playoff contention, but with Anderson for a full season, a healthier Alfie and Spezza, Butler and Greening a year further along- I don't see how we could repeat this year.
I think it depends a LOT on how our prospects develop, who we sign/trade for in the off-season and whether or not our draft pick makes an impact.

With a core of Spezza - Phillips - Karlsson - Anderson and a strong supporting cast we can make the right additions this season to be fighting for a playoff spot next year. In fact if they hold true to their word and acquire a top 3 winger to play with Spezza I would guess our chances of making the playoffs are better than not.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Viennese

A bunch of rookies playing well for a 20 game stretch at the end of the season with no pressure is not the same as an 82 game schedule.

I don't expect any of the rookies to play as well next year. They might take strides forward but if we're expecting this current roster to compete for a playoff spot next year...you'll be disappointed by December.

I'm not expecting playoffs for the next 2 years at least.

Viennese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
Curious, at what age/# of years and games played does a player get defined as a "veteran journeyman?"
How is that curious? Young players obviously have more potential to develop. Butler is just starting to touch his potential, Shannon has had his chances and we've seen what he can (can't) do. You keep saying Shannon can produce, he deserves a spot, yet you're showing us the best he's got can be matched by an undrafted FA college rookie.

Should Shannon not be able to produce more than a kid who needed time to adjust to the league?

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:37 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
I think it depends a LOT on how our prospects develop, who we sign/trade for in the off-season and whether or not our draft pick makes an impact.

With a core of Spezza - Phillips - Karlsson - Anderson and a strong supporting cast we can make the right additions this season to be fighting for a playoff spot next year. In fact if they hold true to their word and acquire a top 3 winger to play with Spezza I would guess our chances of making the playoffs are better than not.

Hate to bet against my team but that is a bet I would take every day of the week. Would love to see guys actually put their money where their mouth is. Would you bet a big chunk of coin because I can't imagine oddsmakers will have us sniffing anywhere near the playoffs next year. Do it, throw a big wad os cash down and walk away laughing.

What top 3 are we snagging??

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:48 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
How is that curious? Young players obviously have more potential to develop. Butler is just starting to touch his potential, Shannon has had his chances and we've seen what he can (can't) do. You keep saying Shannon can produce, he deserves a spot, yet you're showing us the best he's got can be matched by an undrafted FA college rookie.

Should Shannon not be able to produce more than a kid who needed time to adjust to the league?

I don't want to be the downer here, and I'm going to preface this by saying that I like Butler's game a lot more than Shannon's... but Butler is turning 25 this month. Shannon is 27. If we're comparing those two players on a "how much potential they have that we haven't seen" scale, they're closer than you might think.

Obviously Butler still has some growth left in him (developmentally, I mean) and is the better player of the two, but I'm a little worried that some people in our fanbase are expecting Butler to have this huge developmental curve in the near future. I just hope people aren't disappointed... Butler is probably good for 20-25 goals in a year, max. His ceiling isn't as high as some fans think. It's unrealistic to expect that a 24-25 year old rookie has this whole other level that he can get to. He'll learn to read NHL defencemen better, and for sure he's going to get more comfortable in the NHL as his career continues, but the skill level you see now is pretty much it.

Still love watching him out there though, and the goal last night was a beauty, for sure.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:51 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post

OK but if we acquired that winger, the proposed top 6 that we were discussing at the time changes.

I was commenting on Iamok saying that:

Greening-Spezza-Butler
Michalek-Regin/1st-Alfie

would land us in the same boat we're in right now.

Obviously if you add a top 3 FW by other means, we're having a different discussion.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:53 AM
JustinYS

I <3 Butler lol. Even 20 goals from him is an accomplishment. I would never be disappointed with that.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I don't want to be the downer here, and I'm going to preface this by saying that I like Butler's game a lot more than Shannon's... but Butler is turning 25 this month. Shannon is 27. If we're comparing those two players on a "how much potential they have that we haven't seen" scale, they're closer than you might think.
Butler is turning 24 later this month. He is 23 right now.
Ryan Shannon just turned 28 last month. Shannon is 4 years older than him.
That makes a difference.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
OK but if we acquired that winger, the proposed top 6 that we were discussing at the time changes.

I was commenting on Iamok saying that:

Greening-Spezza-Butler
Michalek-Regin/1st-Alfie

would land us in the same boat we're in right now.

Obviously if you add a top 3 FW by other means, we're having a different discussion.
I don't think it would land us in the same boat (there's a big difference between playing with a healthy Spezza, and Anderson in net to missing Spezza for a long stretch and playing in front of Elliott.) But it definitely would give us some struggles to make the playoffs.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Bileur

Quote:

Obviously Butler still has some growth left in him (developmentally, I mean) and is the better player of the two, but I'm a little worried that some people in our fanbase are expecting Butler to have this huge developmental curve in the near future. I just hope people aren't disappointed... Butler is probably good for 20-25 goals in a year, max. His ceiling isn't as high as some fans think. It's unrealistic to expect that a 24-25 year old rookie has this whole other level that he can get to. He'll learn to read NHL defencemen better, and for sure he's going to get more comfortable in the NHL as his career continues, but the skill level you see now is pretty much it.

Still love watching him out there though, and the goal last night was a beauty, for sure.

I'm not expecting/hoping for more than 20-25 goals. The fact remains that 20-25 goals is exponentially better than Shannon's career high of 27 points. Hence Butler having more potential. slamigo already mentioned the actual age difference.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
That makes a difference.
Ah, you are correct. I was misinformed.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
I'm not expecting/hoping for more than 20-25 goals. The fact remains that 20-25 goals is exponentially better than Shannon's career high of 27 points. Hence Butler having more potential. slamigo already mentioned the actual age difference.
Oh, I never assumed you did.

However, being at the arena most nights and talking to some of the fans, there definitely IS a sense of false hope with Butler that he's going to be this 40 goal, PPG all-star. I don't know where that notion is coming from, but it's there.

That being said: fans at the arena on game nights are rarely of the same breed as fans on HFB. So take that for what it's worth, I guess.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
That makes a difference.
You are absolutely right, not sure why people skew facts to make some crazy claim.

While Butler definitely needs to get stronger, he has skills and hockey instincts that Shannon can only dream of.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
That's about where I peg Butler's goal scoring potential on a fairly consistent basis each year. He might do better in any given year but he looks like a bit of a streaky goal scorer so that will hold his totals back. However, as long as he plays with Spezza and on the pp, Butler's point totals will exceed by far anything Shannon ever did or would do in the same position or with the same ice time. That said, I don't believe they are comparable players.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli J View Post
You know, midway through the season, around January, I would've said it must suck being a Senators fan. I root for the Canadiens but I post in here occasionally because I like the Senators, and the city they are from. Apart from Ruutu and Neil (who I realize is a roleplayer) there wasn't a player I disliked on the "old" team. But the god awful stretch they had from November to January or February was brutal. But the organization seems to be taking the rebuild seriously. You can look at a lot of other teams around the league, some making the playoffs and some missing them, and I'm less hopeful for them than I am the Senators. Take the Flames, that little surge of theirs almost got them in the playoffs, so they put off all the rebuild talk, but where are they now? Probable 10th place finish with little to be excited for next year with aging guys with big contracts. The Thrashers, Wild, even my Habs. Yet again we make the playoffs but nothing is expected of us. We'll probably pick relatively high again but there isn't a whole lot to be excited about in our system outside of, idk, Leblanc, and we're still saddled with awful contracts from lame ass UFAs. Hell, you even look at the Oilers who've been rebuilding for awhile and are set to finish dead last yet again. Both the Senators and Oilers are running with AHL/college lineups, but the Senators against all odds are WINNING. You'll probably be out of the playoffs again next year but I think you'll come out of all this with a strong, longlasting team. It's just a shame Alfie won't be on the ice with them to win the cup.

Just don't trade Spezza for the love of god, he may be getting older but he'll do wonders for the young guys!
paragraphs can be friendly

I do agree with the easy to read sentence, though... would be stupid to trade Spezza

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Spezza explained his "Oh Wow" reaction to Butler's goal. On the post game show he called it "a goal scorer's goal". He said other players appreciate it because they know how hard it is to score a goal like that where Butler freed himself of a very tight check, popped the puck to his shooting side and then snapped it top shelf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9YTcSjRSs

Also, a reminder of Butler's other goals

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...snum=0&spell=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Price has been really something else this season. I don't think goaltending will be the issue for them.
Goaltending is always their biggest strenght for some reason... Roy, Hackett, Theodore, Huet, Garon, Halak, Price all had their best years in Montreal. Just look at Huet, he was MVP worthy in Montreal but wasn't able to repeat elsewhere.

But ya the odds of having another cinderella run are low... even if Price is beastly. They will be facing teams like Boston, Philly, Washington, Pittsburgh in every round (if they win a round or more)

Quote:
What's wrong with that kind of production? I see Butler as our future 2nd line Right Winger and that production would be perfect.

You know what? There's only 101 NHL forwards who scored more than 20 goals this year. 101/30 = 3.37 per team on average

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...ort=goals&pg=4

Anyway, am I the only not able to find a NHL comparative with Butler? I was thinking of Brad Boyes maybe

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote