HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What Switch?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
  #1
LI Fly Guy
Registered User
 
LI Fly Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 495
vCash: 500
What Switch?

I keep hearing about this switch that we turned on last year and we'll do it again this year.

But correct me if I'm wrong but when Lavi got here in late December we were 14th in the East. We played some pretty good hockey over the last 3 months of the season to make up for the awful start.

Last year we were good and had a bad start and a much needed coaching change.

This year since the all star break we are one of the worst teams in hockey. Just like last year the team we saw since Febuary will probably be the same one come April.

Holy **** it's April 5th and we're 0-3 actually 0-2-1 but in a week OT losses is still the same as a regulation loss.

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
  #2
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Trade at least half the team if they get bounced first round. And no I'm not even kidding. They don't want to play than they can go.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
  #3
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
I am not one of those fans who believe they will just turn it on when the playoffs begin, but in fairness the Flyers also played poorly last year down the stretch which almost saw them falling out of the playoff picture altogether. They got their act together for 3 of the last 4 games to make it in by the skin of their teeth.

I think part of the reason for their success last year was that they had ideal match ups every step up the way until they faced Chicago which is something everyone overlooks. I don't expect that to happen this year so it's far from a lock that they will repeat last year's playoff success.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
  #4
duffy9748
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I am not one of those fans who believe they will just turn it on when the playoffs begin, but in fairness the Flyers also played poorly last year down the stretch which almost saw them falling out of the playoff picture altogether. They got their act together for 3 of the last 4 games to make it in by the skin of their teeth.

I think part of the reason for their success last year was that they had ideal match ups every step up the way until they faced Chicago which is something everyone overlooks. I don't expect that to happen this year so it's far from a lock that they will repeat last year's playoff success.
Agreed completely. I'm not abandoning ship until we see what this team looks like with Pronger back on it though. I always stood by Richards when the question came around on who the real leader of this team was. Pronger has an effect on this team that Richards just cannot duplicate though.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:26 PM
  #5
BealeStreetTyrant
Registered User
 
BealeStreetTyrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
There's not ONE switch...there's 19

BealeStreetTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:05 PM
  #6
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I am not one of those fans who believe they will just turn it on when the playoffs begin, but in fairness the Flyers also played poorly last year down the stretch which almost saw them falling out of the playoff picture altogether. They got their act together for 3 of the last 4 games to make it in by the skin of their teeth.

I think part of the reason for their success last year was that they had ideal match ups every step up the way until they faced Chicago which is something everyone overlooks. I don't expect that to happen this year so it's far from a lock that they will repeat last year's playoff success.
I agree with this. Part of the reason I feel like they did well in the playoffs is that they got the Devils in the first round, and we had owned them all season. It was an immediate confidence booster, AFTER the confidence booster of getting in the playoffs. Then the near-debacle of the Bruins series came.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:16 AM
  #7
MiD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
I don't believe in the magical playoff switch, last season they were in playoff mode 3 months before PO and almost missed them... I believe in - you are as good as your last game and judgeing by last 29 games I'm very close to say that 2011 Flyers are pretenders not contenders... as Potvin said last night you don't win games because you were in SC final last season

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:26 AM
  #8
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I think part of the reason for their success last year was that they had ideal match ups every step up the way until they faced Chicago which is something everyone overlooks. I don't expect that to happen this year so it's far from a lock that they will repeat last year's playoff success.
I don't think Boston was much of an ideal match up. They were a scary team, as they were full of talent and tough. Or Halak, who was the best goalie in the playoffs at the time.

I will say though that we were fortunate enough to not have to see the Pens and we opened against NJ.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:15 AM
  #9
Jimmy Villa
Registered User
 
Jimmy Villa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bristol
Country: England
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I don't think Boston was much of an ideal match up. They were a scary team, as they were full of talent and tough. Or Halak, who was the best goalie in the playoffs at the time.

I will say though that we were fortunate enough to not have to see the Pens and we opened against NJ.

Obviously it's all ifs and buts now, but I do think that IF we had to play the Caps then the Pens like the Habs did last year, we wouldn't have made the ECF.

We owned the Habs & the Devs last year in regular season, so to have owned 50% of your playoff opponents leans towards a favourable route.

Plus we had momentum. That ship has SAILED this year. Our momentum was all huffed out by Xmas.

This team looks like a fighter on the ropes waiting for the hammer blow. That blow is likely to come in the 1st round as it did for the Caps last year.

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:50 AM
  #10
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Abington (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
I see a quick exit and then more excuses. After the Flyers get booted by TB in the first round, I want a number of players traded, including Mr Mush (Richards) I know it won't happen but this team just annoys me. This has to be one of the Greatest collapses in Flyers History. They look like a lost team out there. It is sad!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:44 AM
  #11
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
We haven't entered the play-offs yet, and people are calling for heads. Lets wait until the team gets bounced, or dosn't turn up in the play-offs first eh?

There is a definite switch for this flyers team. They are BUILT for play-off hockey. The entire team knows how to win play-off games.

Look at the big games this year, against teams in form. We have always seemed to beat them. The play-offs create that atmosphere in every game. 95% of the team are big game players. It will happen again. We will probably lose our first play-off game, then go on to smash opponents.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
  #12
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
4-7-1 in the last 12 last year.

If they split the last two, they'll be 4-5-3 down in the last 12 this year.

Seems pretty much the same to me.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:10 PM
  #13
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,021
vCash: 500
funny you should mention flipping the switch..

heres a whole article on it and it features a Flyers motif.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/4/6...-2011-momentum

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
  #14
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,252
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Not that they are planning on doing this, but clinching the division on the last day could really be a nice "flip of the switch" for this team.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:12 AM
  #15
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
4-7-1 in the last 12 last year.

If they split the last two, they'll be 4-5-3 down in the last 12 this year.

Seems pretty much the same to me.
They also got an ideal matchup in the Devils. We'll see what happens tonight, but if they lose tonight this team has just lost any confidence to get it done. I just cannot figure what the problem with this group is when trying to close out the season.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:21 AM
  #16
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
The switch was getting Carter injured, he was dragging the team down and still is.

We need to bench or hope Carter gets injured.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:59 AM
  #17
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
The switch was getting Carter injured, he was dragging the team down and still is.

We need to bench or hope Carter gets injured.
Talk about being obsessed. I do find it hilarious that the only defense of guys like JC is to try and criticize the the critic but not actually come up with a real defense of the greatness that is JC.

I find it even more enjoyable that some fans do not find the ability to actually analyze play of said individuals, but if someone calls out this said individuals the defense is to attack the critic with unfounded commentary and the need to imply that a critic of the star players is not really a Flyers fan. When in a twist of truth it is about the crest on the front and not the name on the back.



Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
  #18
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Talk about being obsessed. I do find it hilarious that the only defense of guys like JC is to try and criticize the the critic but not actually come up with a real defense of the greatness that is JC.

I find it even more enjoyable that some fans do not find the ability to actually analyze play of said individuals, but if someone calls out this said individuals the defense is to attack the critic with unfounded commentary and the need to imply that a critic of the star players is not really a Flyers fan. When in a twist of truth it is about the crest on the front and not the name on the back.


What are you talking about? I completely agree with everything you say now. You have shown me the light.

We are on the same team buddy

Now only if we could get Carter and Richards off our team.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:12 AM
  #19
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
What are you talking about? I completely agree with everything you say now. You have shown me the light.

We are on the same team buddy

Now only if we could get Carter and Richards off our team.
Lame.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:30 AM
  #20
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Lame.
Why? You want them on our team? I can give you a list of reason why they should be off.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:42 AM
  #21
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Why? You want them on our team? I can give you a list of reason why they should be off.
Give you two....games 81 and 82. We'll see what kind of character they have.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:44 AM
  #22
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Give you two....games 81 and 82. We'll see what kind of character they have.
I don't care if they play well or amazing in 2 games, that is to little of a sample to prove their worth. They spent far to long loafing and partying on this team to prove their worth. It is time for a rebuild.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:55 AM
  #23
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,325
vCash: 500
**** Richie and Cartsie. Trade their *****. All they care about are women and partying. Dont need that **** on this team.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
  #24
BulkVanderHuge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
**** Richie and Cartsie. Trade their *****. All they care about are women and partying. Dont need that **** on this team.
I don't even know what's real anymore. Praying that we win the first game in the playoffs.

BulkVanderHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
  #25
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkVanderHuge View Post
I don't even know what's real anymore. Praying that we win the first game in the playoffs.
Obviously Cartsie's and Richie's commitment to this team isnt.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.