HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will we ever do anything but stand still and pass the puck on the PP?

Old
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
All you need to know, Nashville's power play is ranked 26th. That sucks. If you don't think our PP needs an overhaul you need glasses or contacts.
please do the research and tell me where we are since the all star break. I would almost bet money it is 17-19 percent.

edit

we are 17 for 90 since the allstar break which is 18.888888888

if you put that percentage vs the season long percentage of the rest of the league (and I understand they have more games as a sample, but for this exercise in showing the pp isn't awful, it is the only thing available. If you want the absolut 100 percent info, do the math for yourself)

anyway our 18.8 percent would be good for ninth in the league.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
OK, gotta object to this line of reasoning just a bit.

Goons or not they are still professional hockey players and understand the professional game on a level that even the most hockey savvy among us cant come close to matching.
I thought about that before posting what I did. But when I hear Belak talk about the PP and say tings like why don't we just shoot it, and say, on air, he doesn't understand why we don't, hie credibility drops for me. Especially with what I see, and how each unit plays. I am sure they can tell you different formations and what they are trying to do, but when they talk about it, they sound like meatheads.

Old
04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
please do the research and tell me where we are since the all star break. I would almost bet money it is 17-19 percent.

edit

we are 17 for 90 since the allstar break which is 18.888888888

if you put that percentage vs the season long percentage of the rest of the league (and I understand they have more games as a sample, but for this exercise in showing the pp isn't awful, it is the only thing available. If you want the absolut 100 percent info, do the math for yourself)

anyway our 18.8 percent would be good for ninth in the league.
So what you are telling me is that you would prefer to look at half the season and base your judgement of the power play on that. Last time I checked, a season is 82 games long not 40 something. That is like me saying we've had a good two months of business with a profit of $1,000,000 but its okay that makes up for the $4,000,000 we lost at the beginning of the year.

Big picture>little picture.

Sure the power play has been clicking well lately, but just because it has had a good two months or so does not mean its been lighting the world on fire. Granted, I will give you the lack of legwand and other offensive players made our weak power play weaker at the start of the year, it still hasn't been a highlight.

Besides, look at our franchise's power play numbers for all our years. We have NEVER had a good power play. The best we have ever had was 06-07 and that was only 18th...

Again big picture>little picture

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

In fairness Joe. Before Christmas many games we were without:

Legwand
Erat
Suter
Sullivan
O'Reilly
Goc
and
Sk was playing hurt

There was no Blum, BamBam or Fisher.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
In fairness Joe. Before Christmas many games we were without:

Legwand
Erat
Suter
Sullivan
O'Reilly
Goc
and
Sk was playing hurt

There was no Blum, BamBam or Fisher.
Right and I said that in my post.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:24 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
So what you are telling me is that you would prefer to look at half the season and base your judgement of the power play on that. yes. i am. we have been a much different team since then. Last time I checked, a season is 82 games long not 40 something. That is like me saying we've had a good two months of business with a profit of $1,000,000 but its okay that makes up for the $4,000,000 we lost at the beginning of the year. you are comparing apples to oranges, not apples to apples. you are reaching here because your original hypothesis of the pp sucks is flat wrong.Big picture>little picture.

Sure the power play has been clicking well lately, but just because it has had a good two months or so does not mean its been lighting the world on fire. never said it was. just said it did not suck and it is where we all said we would be happy with it. Granted, I will give you the lack of legwand and other offensive players made our weak power play weaker at the start of the year, it still hasn't been a highlight.

Besides, look at our franchise's power play numbers for all our years. We have NEVER had a good power play. The best we have ever had was 06-07 and that was only 18th... this year has nothing to do with last. different players. different strategies. Again big picture>little picture

you are too critical. I really think you don't get it. our pp is decent. it doesn't suck.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:47 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I am well aware our pp isn't great, and that is a reason we haven't clinched yet.

4 teams that have...from the AS break
Wash-19.2
Det-23.8
SJ-25.6
Van-25.5
all of which are higher percentages than where they currently are except washington.

Old
04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Besides, look at our franchise's power play numbers for all our years. We have NEVER had a good power play. The best we have ever had was 06-07 and that was only 18th...
That's not correct. In 05-06, we were 10th. That's also when Sullivan was at his peak, and Kariya was playing 6 min a game on the PP.

Still that talent compares nothing to likes of PPs with Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, etc.

We have one of the least skilled forward groups in the league; it's no surprise we don't have a good PP. It IS worth noting that since we have gotten relatively healthy, the PP has been decent.

There are some things Suter does well on the PP, but he should have more goals. With everyone giving so much attention to Weber, it opens up all kinds of lanes for Suter and others. 4 goals the last 2 years is pathetic. I'd like to see what Blum can do on the 1st PP. And we have no one that remotely resembles a sniper. Meanwhile, the top PP teams have multiple threats.

Last edited by dulzhok: 04-07-2011 at 05:44 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
That's not correct. In 05-06, we were 10th. That's also when Sullivan was at his peak, and Kariya was playing 6 min a game on the PP.

Still that talent compares nothing to likes of PPs with Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, etc.
I have to agree with Dulz.

The lack of a true sniper will always hurt our powerplay.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:22 PM
FD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I am well aware our pp isn't great, and that is a reason we haven't clinched yet.

4 teams that have...from the AS break
Wash-19.2
Det-23.8
SJ-25.6
Van-25.5
all of which are higher percentages than where they currently are except washington.
Fortunately the Preds PK balances this out, so may not be fair to say we haven't clinched b/c of our PP. It's a contributing factor, as much as the Preds PK contributes to being in a position to clinch.

Edit: apologies Token, I missed you cited PP as a reason, not the reason.

Last edited by FD: 04-07-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: clarrification
FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:26 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm ok with our PP being 26th as long as it heats up when it needs to. It seems to have done that. I know we're all trained to think that our PP is going to dreadful every time, and it's very possible any given PP will be rather embarrassing, but lately we've had a pretty decent shot at getting a goal out of it, too.

The flip side of it heating up now is that we've been horribly inconsistent, so it's also possible that we slow down at any time.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:49 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm ok with our PP being 26th as long as it heats up when it needs to. It seems to have done that. I know we're all trained to think that our PP is going to dreadful every time, and it's very possible any given PP will be rather embarrassing, but lately we've had a pretty decent shot at getting a goal out of it, too.

The flip side of it heating up now is that we've been horribly inconsistent, so it's also possible that we slow down at any time.
What!!! That makes no sense whatsoever

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
What!!! That makes no sense whatsoever
What's not to understand? He said he doesn't care what our overall season rank is on the PP. He only cares that it performs well at the end of the season and during the playoffs.

We've been pretty good since the all-star break and even better in our past 10 or so games. Overall for the season, our powerplay has been pretty terrible, it has picked up greatly towards the end of the season though. Seems like a very odd time to complain about the PP, now that it is heating up a bit...

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
What's not to understand? He said he doesn't care what our overall season rank is on the PP. He only cares that it performs well at the end of the season and during the playoffs.

We've been pretty good since the all-star break and even better in our past 10 or so games. Overall for the season, our powerplay has been pretty terrible, it has picked up greatly towards the end of the season though. Seems like a very odd time to complain about the PP, now that it is heating up a bit...
Even though we had two powerplays at the end of regulation in the Detroit game that was futile we could have won the game and avoided overtime.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Even though we had two powerplays at the end of regulation in the Detroit game that was futile we could have won the game and avoided overtime.
Exactly, it comes down to really the one main complaint, consistency. It's not always just the powerplay, or the inability to hold onto a lead, or the physical play, or the losing streaks, or whatever the single complaint of the day is... It's all about consistency, we can have good moments, even good stretched of the season, but there are so many spots sprinkled into even the best of times that leave you scratching your head and wondering how it could get so sideways.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Exactly, it comes down to really the one main complaint, consistency. It's not always just the powerplay, or the inability to hold onto a lead, or the physical play, or the losing streaks, or whatever the single complaint of the day is... It's all about consistency, we can have good moments, even good stretched of the season, but there are so many spots sprinkled into even the best of times that leave you scratching your head and wondering how it could get so sideways.
Consistency is something I always hear about from golfers as well. My response is always the same, consistency is easy, you just don't want it. Be glad you have times when things are good and survive the bad times.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
jlsg

By definition a PP isn't going to be consistent. A good team will have 20%, that's hardly consistent. Detroit we were what 2 for 5 or 6. Ask any coach before a game if they would be happy with 2 PP goals out of 10 chances. Most would take it.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote