HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs should sign Wisniewski over Markov

Old
04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

vCash: 500
Habs should sign Wisniewski over Markov

7G 23A 30PTS in 42 GP with the Habs, a pace of almost 60 PTS!

Not to mention 105 hits and 115 blocked shots (80 with Habs alone) to top it off. In his prime at 27 years old too.

Markov is obviously the more skilled Dman, but given the injury worries and not knowing if Markov will indeed be the same player he was, wouldnt it make more sense to throw a $3-4 mil per to Wiz over Markov at this point? To me its a pretty easy choice.

intylerwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Kboum

HAve you ever see Markov play defensively ? He was top 15 D in the league...

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

I like the guy don't get me wrong. Be he isn't half a D-Man that Markov is

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:51 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Depending on the $, why not both?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:51 AM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboum View Post
HAve you ever see Markov play defensively ? He was top 15 D in the league...
Yes I have. Wiz and his 80 blocked shot in 42 games aint so bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I like the guy don't get me wrong. Be he isn't half a D-Man that Markov is
Thats a fact but do you really risk signing a Markov given his injuries? Point wise they may not be all that far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
2 UFAs? Thatll be about $8 mil per combined I reckon. You can forget about signing anyone else in that case. Id go with Wiz and Hamrlik (for 1 or 2 years) for cheaper, and try to get a winger to help their awful offense.

Last edited by intylerwetrust: 04-08-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old
04-08-2011, 09:54 AM
OneSharpMarble

Wiz is not a top pairing dman, Markov is.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:54 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by intylerwetrust View Post
7G 23A 30PTS in 42 GP with the Habs, a pace of almost 60 PTS!

Not to mention 105 hits and 115 blocked shots (80 with Habs alone) to top it off. In his prime at 27 years old too.

Markov is obviously the more skilled Dman, but given the injury worries and not knowing if Markov will indeed be the same player he was, wouldnt it make more sense to throw a $3-4 mil per to Wiz over Markov at this point? To me its a pretty easy choice.
Healthy Markov >>> Healthy Wiz
But seriously itll depend what Wiz asks

he is 5th in D in the NHL!!
he is 72th in D salary.
so expect him a raise. Team with a need of PMD will pay the price (6 millions?)

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:57 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
This. In fact, I think Markov and Wiz would make a good defense pairing.

Markov would settle Wiz down defensively. Wiz would bring some hits to that pairing and help to protect Markov, and Markov could set him up with perfect passes for his one timers.

XXX --- Subban
Markov --- Wiz
Spacek --- Gorges

Keep Mara as a 7th defensemen. That leaves room for one free agent defenseman.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Looking forward to calling out all the fairweather Habs fans when Markov is back and leading this team next year

Unbelievable how quickly we forget what a player he is/was...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Well these idiots better sign one of them at least.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
Healthy Markov >>> Healthy Wiz
But seriously itll depend what Wiz asks

he is 5th in D in the NHL!!
he is 72th in D salary.
so expect him a raise. Team with a need of PMD will pay the price (6 millions?)
Well isnt that the question? Hes obviously as fragile as ever now. Wiz wont get $6 mil, Id say someone will offer $4.5 though.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Pack your bags. I'm throwing you out!

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
2 UFAs? Thatll be about $8 mil per combined I reckon. You can forget about signing anyone else in that case. Id go with Wiz and Hamrlik (for 1 or 2 years) for cheaper, and try to get a winger to help their awful offense.
Well Markov isn't just "a UFA", I think he's a bit more of a special case than that. He's played his entire career here, got his citizenship, and is coming off major injuries. Combining those factors I like to think we could get him for below market value, even if it's only a 1 year deal.

For Wisniewski, well he's not signing for anywhere for less than $4.5m IMO, and I'm certain there are GMs out there who will go to $5-5.5m...

But all we have to do is bury Gomez and we're worry-free

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Patccmoi

You know what's even better than blocking shot? Getting in a position where the other team can't even take one, and getting the puck out of the zone. That's what Markov does.

Don't get me wrong, blocking shots is great, but smart defensive plays not letting them get to shooting in the first place is just better. It just doesn't show up as a stat and is less obvious.

It's like goalies that make spectacular saves. Many of them end up making spectacular saves mostly because they were out of position to begin with. Then you have a goalie like Price who's rarely spectacular (although it happens!), but he makes shots look easy because he's in place BEFORE the shot is taken.

Seriously, even if Markov was at 75% of what we seen for the rest of his career I'd take him over Wiz. His smarts, vision and passing ability shouldn't be seriously influenced by his knee injury (something that Wiz had himself, btw), and those are his greatest asset.

And if he's a bit slower than before, we can always pair him with Subban, he can make Gill look good!

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:03 AM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Looking forward to calling out all the fairweather Habs fans when Markov is back and leading this team next year

Unbelievable how quickly we forget what a player he is/was...
Nice, you have a crystal ball! Bet you said that same at the start of this season too? Hes obviously showing to be very fragile now.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Well isnt that the question? Hes obviously as fragile as ever now. Wiz wont get $6 mil, Id say someone will offer $4.5 though.
It's a knee injury...he'll have the whole summer to rehab. Even IF Markov isn't the Markov he was, he'll still be as good as any of our defensman we currently have.

Either way, i'm not concerned with Markov's knee injury because skating was never a big part of his game anyways...his hockey sense and vision are elite and i don't think that leaves because of knee injuries.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Patccmoi

Oh, and just noticed your username... aren't you a Bruins fan? I seem to remember you with a Tyler Seguin avatar. If that's the case, then I can see why you would want the Habs with Wiz over Markov, or that you're just bored and felt like trolling around...

Old
04-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Maxpac

Quote:

I would stick with our offense then and have both Markov and Wiz in the line-up. Hamrlik is 37 years old and slowing down fast. Our offense isn't sobad when Pacioretty is in the line-up anyways.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

Quote:
Well Markov isn't just "a UFA", I think he's a bit more of a special case than that. He's played his entire career here, got his citizenship, and is coming off major injuries. Combining those factors I like to think we could get him for below market value, even if it's only a 1 year deal.

For Wisniewski, well he's not signing for anywhere for less than $4.5m IMO, and I'm certain there are GMs out there who will go to $5-5.5m...

Send him to the minors to cut his salary in half I say. If he gets picked up on waivers, OH WELL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Oh, and just noticed your username... aren't you a Bruins fan? I seem to remember you with a Tyler Seguin avatar. If that's the case, then I can see why you would want the Habs with Wiz over Markov, or that you're just bored and felt like trolling around...
no its a quote from "Fight Club", dont be so quick to judge...... and how is this trolling anyway? Its a legitimate discussion to be raised if you acutally look at the numbers and realise the Habs cant sign everyone they want this summer.

So sign Markov at $5 mil per, he gets injured again, and the Habs are left with Subban, Spacek, Gorges, and 3 others. Safer bet to sign Wiz and Hamrlik for the same cost imo.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:06 AM
JackieChan

Some people haven't seen Marky play for too long now... Or something's in the water and driving people nucking futs.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
llamateizer

Quote:

EASY
GM Options --> Roster Moves --> Select Scott Gomez --> Press A --> Select Yes

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
This is where we should be heading...if Wiz's agent outprices him, then Wiz will be gone elsewhere...but I would really like to see us with both...

Personally, I think Hammer will be gone, but he has had a good season, and if he shines in the playoffs who knows...if Hammer stays, it's obviously at half price of what he is making now...and Gill is gone...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I would stick with our offense then and have both Markov and Wiz in the line-up. Hamrlik is 37 years old and slowing down fast. Our offense isn't sobad when Pacioretty is in the line-up anyways.
I also seriously think that our offense would improve a lot just from having Markov in the line-up.

We have a team designed to score on the rush, and to score on the rush what you need is a fast transition game with a crisp, precise first pass. That's what Markov brings, far better than anyone in the current line-up. Plekanec on the rush is one of the best forwards in the league, but he's not so great at the dump and chase game that we often end up forced playing because we're too slow at getting out.

@ intylerwetrust

Sorry, thinking about it I think I got you confused because of a Bruins avatar that has Tyler Seguin's face on a coin saying 'In Tyler We Trust'.

I still think you should watch some old tapes from Markov though, and realize that defensively Wiz is looking ok right now but it's mostly because he's not playing against the other team's top lines, which Markov was.

Old
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Hes been the Habs most consistent defenceman in the past 2 -3 years if you havent noticed. Whats 1 more year?

Old
ChoseLa

No, Markov would be the best player of this team along with Price.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote