HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
04-08-2011, 02:43 AM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I eat pretty brutal, but I don't like to change my diet that much. The way I see it, it's better I make smarter choice about what I eat rather than eat what I dislike. I tend to eat a lot of junk food, and drink a lot of soft drinks. Figure, cutting ordering and soft drinks alone should make me automatically lose weight. The rest is really up to how much more I want to lose. I'm taking 4 classes this summer and looking for a job, so I prefer not to invest in a full our training regime.

I do want to do basic weight training, squats, bench presses, etc.. but I also want to try and get a nice job in every day. So we'll see how it ends up.

Edit: I assume, squats, deadlifts and ??
Just simple stuff. Dips, pull ups/chin ups, front squats (cause you can't cheat them and they are just fantastic), presses, bench presses.

But deadlifts, for sure though. Probably the only essential exercise. Dips, Chin ups, front squats and deadlifts, would be more than enough for any goal imo. I've been front squatting 4 times a week lately and I've had some major results. When I was doing 100 dips and 100 chin ups 2x a week, I built a nice upper body (which I lost through not training and drinking too much) I like frequency and volume personally.

For food, continue eating junk food if you want man, there's no problem. Get a diet coke instead of a coke though (I like the taste better, the fact it's like 100gs of sugar less is just an added bonus) and maybe eat less. But maybe not, just getting 2-3 exercise sessions of and dropping the sodas you'll lose the 20 pounds for sure. But not in 2 months.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:53 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
I eat pretty brutal, but I don't like to change my diet that much. The way I see it, it's better I make smarter choice about what I eat rather than eat what I dislike. I tend to eat a lot of junk food, and drink a lot of soft drinks. Figure, cutting ordering and soft drinks alone should make me automatically lose weight. The rest is really up to how much more I want to lose. I'm taking 4 classes this summer and looking for a job, so I prefer not to invest in a full our training regime.

I do want to do basic weight training, squats, bench presses, etc.. but I also want to try and get a nice job in every day. So we'll see how it ends up.

Edit: I assume, squats, deadlifts and ??
Squats, SLDL, benchpress, overhead press, Bent Over Rows, Calf raises all with a barbell. If you wanna throw some BB curls in there too for looks, go for it.

2 Warmup sets of each, 2 work sets. Should take about 30minutes-35minutes.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
You're a big guy, with just a bit of training and just by eating less you can lose that poundage. Just give yourself a bit more time, that's all. No need to make a diet, eat the same things, just eat less of it, without cutting the meat lol. Eat some enough meat, some fat and it doesn't matter for the rest.

No need for complex programs either. You can get to your goal with 2-4 exercises and short sessions no problem imo. While powerlifting, 80% of my training is just 3 exercises.
Yes, but you know how to powerlift. I would never advise a beginner to do some lifts/weight squat without proper coaching.
Unless that person is extremely serious with its training, takes the time to really understand the functionality of those movements, I would advise against it. Too many people I know have gotten hurt from deadlifting by themselves without knowing how to do it properly.
Nutrition is also key. So I would disagree that the persone should eat the same but less.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Just simple stuff. Dips, pull ups/chin ups, front squats (cause you can't cheat them and they are just fantastic), presses, bench presses.

But deadlifts, for sure though. Probably the only essential exercise. Dips, Chin ups, front squats and deadlifts, would be more than enough for any goal imo. I've been front squatting 4 times a week lately and I've had some major results. When I was doing 100 dips and 100 chin ups 2x a week, I built a nice upper body (which I lost through not training and drinking too much) I like frequency and volume personally.

For food, continue eating junk food if you want man, there's no problem. Get a diet coke instead of a coke though (I like the taste better, the fact it's like 100gs of sugar less is just an added bonus) and maybe eat less. But maybe not, just getting 2-3 exercise sessions of and dropping the sodas you'll lose the 20 pounds for sure. But not in 2 months.
Come on Kareem, asking a beginner to Front Squat?
He's overweight and a beginner, he probably can't even air squat properly and I'd be my life savings his flexibility is nowhere near what it should be in order to front squat.
He's already carrying a lot of weight, limiting him to bodyweight exercises should suffice for now.
Air squats, sure. Dips, sure. Chin ups, sure but I doubt he'll be able to do one, so maybe do jumping pull ups. Lunges, push ups(on knees if needed), burpees, broad/tuck jumps, jumping jacks, sit ups, etc..
I would limit him to that for now.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He's overweight and a beginner, he probably can't even air squat properly and I'd be my life savings his flexibility is nowhere near what it should be in order to front squat.
He's already carrying a lot of weight, limiting him to bodyweight exercises should suffice for now.
Air squats, sure. Dips, sure. Chin ups, sure but I doubt he'll be able to do one, so maybe do jumping pull ups. Lunges, push ups(on knees if needed), burpees, broad/tuck jumps, jumping jacks, sit ups, etc..
I agree. Doing squats, bench, shoulder press with just the bar to begin with shouldn't be hard even if he is a beginner.

Learn the correct form by using just the bar on those exercises and add weight as you get better.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:19 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
I want to lose 20-30 pounds over May to August(including both months), without mega training and superb diet, what do you think I can reach? At the start of this thread(part 1), I was 250-255, I managed to go down to 240 ish pretty quickly, but couldn't maintain it as it was first time I ever tried to make a diet. I think I'm ready for a 2nd go. I want to be about 220-225 by 2012 but I want to try and get as much as possible done in the summer. What's a realistic expectation on moderate training/diet, 15 lbs?
Well I'm in a pretty similar position as you. I'll leave some of the other people in here to help with the training but you really need to fix the food you eat.

I was over 280 about 3 years ago, went down to 215 before going back up to 240. Now I've been at the gym and watching what I eat for about 3 month and got it down to 230 and dropping (just as soon as exams are over )

For one you need to cut down on your portions. As a heavy guy I know how you eat, probably like me. What I do now is try and have a big lunch, and then a smaller dinner at like 6, and try not to eat anything late at night. If you train at night, take a protein shake or get unsalted peanuts for after the workout, you need to feed your body after a workout, but since your trying to lose weight you want minimize the intake. Try to stop eating chips and that kind of junk (for quickest results avoid anything that is unnecessary (at least for a week, 2 or whatever if you want to see quicker results)).

The best and foremost to losing weight, eating breakfast. This is key because you are less hungry later on in the day when you've had something to eat when you wake up. If you can add 2-3 fruits to your diet and some yogurt. I'm no fan of vegetables, but I would get a shish taouk sandwich so that I can have some veggies in it along with some lean chicken was useful. If you drink a lot of soft drinks, I 'd say just replace it with water.

A lot of these don't have to be cut completely, but merely replaced at times. You really need to judge your success by what you do on a daily basis. I was weighing myself every day for like 4 month (although was the first time since I was maybe 14 that the scale was reading something under 230, so I was happy to look at the scale everyday) just so that I could ***** if what I did the day before we good or bad. Eat healthier, try and respect the 4 food groups and don't over eat. Do some exercise to help burn some of that excess weight hanging around and you should see results very quickly and yours goals reached eventually.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Well I'm in a pretty similar position as you. I'll leave some of the other people in here to help with the training but you really need to fix the food you eat.

I was over 280 about 3 years ago, went down to 215 before going back up to 240. Now I've been at the gym and watching what I eat for about 3 month and got it down to 230 and dropping (just as soon as exams are over )

For one you need to cut down on your portions. As a heavy guy I know how you eat, probably like me. What I do now is try and have a big lunch, and then a smaller dinner at like 6, and try not to eat anything late at night. If you train at night, take a protein shake or get unsalted peanuts for after the workout, you need to feed your body after a workout, but since your trying to lose weight you want minimize the intake. Try to stop eating chips and that kind of junk (for quickest results avoid anything that is unnecessary (at least for a week, 2 or whatever if you want to see quicker results)).

The best and foremost to losing weight, eating breakfast. This is key because you are less hungry later on in the day when you've had something to eat when you wake up. If you can add 2-3 fruits to your diet and some yogurt. I'm no fan of vegetables, but I would get a shish taouk sandwich so that I can have some veggies in it along with some lean chicken was useful. If you drink a lot of soft drinks, I 'd say just replace it with water.

A lot of these don't have to be cut completely, but merely replaced at times. You really need to judge your success by what you do on a daily basis. I was weighing myself every day for like 4 month (although was the first time since I was maybe 14 that the scale was reading something under 230, so I was happy to look at the scale everyday) just so that I could ***** if what I did the day before we good or bad. Eat healthier, try and respect the 4 food groups and don't over eat. Do some exercise to help burn some of that excess weight hanging around and you should see results very quickly and yours goals reached eventually.
Is it OK to have some complex carbs (as long it's whole-grain) for dinner?
(As a side to a piece of lean meat, of course)

Some say it's not a good idea, while some think otherwise.

I'm confused

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:37 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

I'm confused
I never went into that much detail, I'm not looking to shape my body for competition. I like to play by the rules that if I'm getting results, then I'm doing something properly.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
I never went into that much detail, I'm not looking to shape my body for competition. I like to play by the rules that if I'm getting results, then I'm doing something properly.
I meant genereally speaking, not in your particular case

Old
04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
speed11

Quote:

I'm confused
who thinks otherwise?

people trying to lose fat should have a cutoff of carbs after 6-7 anyway, unless your gyming it at night.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
I meaant genereally speaking, not in your particular case
Hopefully someone else can answer as I have no idea what to say

Old
04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
who thinks otherwise?

people trying to lose fat should have a cutoff of carbs after 6-7 anyway, unless your gyming it at night.
I usually workout from 6 to 7 pm

Old
04-08-2011, 11:00 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
who thinks otherwise?

Why? There's no magical insulin fairy that appears after 7 that will metabolize the carbs and turn them into fat.

Overall macros for the day are what matter.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:

Well, I figure I should start with the basics tbh. I figure the push ups, bench presses, squats(with limited weight to learn first), along with other simple exercises. I'm not looking to body build, just want to lose weight tbh.

I agree with you. I think people overvalue and undervalue the importance of a diet. I say undervalue because a simple change, such as a diet soda can effect several calories over the entire week. However, I say overvalue because people feel they need to go all out to see changes and because of that, they limit themselves and get discouraged. Any change in the positive direction helps. At my size, it should be relatively easy to shed the weight doing moderate changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Squats, SLDL, benchpress, overhead press, Bent Over Rows, Calf raises all with a barbell. If you wanna throw some BB curls in there too for looks, go for it.

2 Warmup sets of each, 2 work sets. Should take about 30minutes-35minutes.
I like BB curls tbh. Simple exercise. I have dumbbells and a barbell at home. I will likely use them for a mix of exercises. As I said above, not looking to body build, just figure exercise, any exercise, will definitely help. So I'll have fun with it, mix it up, and just keep it interesting.

Quote:
Yes, but you know how to powerlift. I would never advise a beginner to do some lifts/weight squat without proper coaching.
Unless that person is extremely serious with its training, takes the time to really understand the functionality of those movements, I would advise against it. Too many people I know have gotten hurt from deadlifting by themselves without knowing how to do it properly.
Nutrition is also key. So I would disagree that the persone should eat the same but less.
I don't think he was advising me to powerlift. I had asked him what exercises he does and he replied. I would do squats, but not powerlifting(yet) though. Just a person preference at this point in time.

More of the good, less of the bad in terms of food. Nutrition IS key, but by same token, feeling as if you have to go all out to achieve results isn't the proper mentality. I will do what I can, cut down on the bad stuff, and try to eat healthier.

Quote:

Like you, I hate veggies. Only ones I like potatoes(and a few others), which don't help weight loss.

It honestly depends where I am. If I have time, I make a good meal, but if i'm stuck at school, i'll likely be forced to eat out, unless I wake up early and make a lunch. I try to bring myself to places like cultures in EV just so i'm forced to have 2 salads with my meal.

In the morning I'll likely try to have vector cereal and have a cup of strawberries to keep me good till lunch. At night, I'll probably buy a large yogurt and eat about 1/4 of it as a snack around 10 pm, and go to bed a few hours after.

I'll likely try to have smoothies too and incorporate veggies in it. Other than that, cutting soft drinks, and avoiding ordering out. I don't eat chips much, for me, it's more like poutine, burgers, that stuff. I don't eat chocolate or candy or chips much. I like em, just I never buy them, so never eat them lol

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Little Nilan

Quote:
I started squatting as a beginner by front squatting. It's one of the simplest exericises you can learn. His goals are lofty, so nutrition isn't key either, just eating less or exercising more should be enough. If that doesn't work, he can change things a bit but if it works, why bother with changing habits.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Has anyone used the Bowflex dumbbells? I was thinking of picking some up from a guy at work for $200 (original cost is $500) and they go from, I think 2.5 LBS all the way up to 52.5 LBS with 2.5 LBS increments. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to complete my home gym. Any thoughts?

As for people that are going to say "just go the gym", remember I work 12-hour nights and live in a small town. Our gym in town is open like 12-hours, so on days I work, unless I interupt my sleep, it's hard to get there on days I work - much easier to workout at home.

I think I've lost between 30-35 pounds now - and that's after slacking hard for a month due to some things I couldn't control. I'm working out more at home now, which is why I want some dumbbells.

Thanks.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Has anyone used the Bowflex dumbbells? I was thinking of picking some up from a guy at work for $200 (original cost is $500) and they go from, I think 2.5 LBS all the way up to 52.5 LBS with 2.5 LBS increments. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to complete my home gym. Any thoughts?

As for people that are going to say "just go the gym", remember I work 12-hour nights and live in a small town. Our gym in town is open like 12-hours, so on days I work, unless I interupt my sleep, it's hard to get there on days I work - much easier to workout at home.

I think I've lost between 30-35 pounds now - and that's after slacking hard for a month due to some things I couldn't control. I'm working out more at home now, which is why I want some dumbbells.

Thanks.
If the Bowflex dumbells are in good condition, it's a pretty good deal

Regarding home vs gym, TBH, if I had an extra room, I would use it as my workout den instead of going to a gym.
(Thanks God my gym is located 1 block away from my place)

Old
04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I started squatting as a beginner by front squatting. It's one of the simplest exericises you can learn. His goals are lofty, so nutrition isn't key either, just eating less or exercising more should be enough. If that doesn't work, he can change things a bit but if it works, why bother with changing habits.
Air squating is simpler than front squating. There's no reason someone should put extra weight on themselves if they can't even air squat well.
From what I gathered, you took the time to learn proper technique. If I remember correctly, you even videotaped yourself doing those moves.
In any event, there is a chain of movements to follow. Start air squating properly.

As for the eating habits, due to his weight, yea, he can just eat less and he'll lose weight. But what do you think will happen after he reaches his present goal? he will have to adapt again, otherwise he will pack on weight again. So why not get used to proper eating habits right now?
Diets are temporary, health changes are permanent.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Air squating is simpler than front squating. There's no reason someone should put extra weight on themselves if they can't even air squat well.
From what I gathered, you took the time to learn proper technique. If I remember correctly, you even videotaped yourself doing those moves.
In any event, there is a chain of movements to follow. Start air squating properly.

As for the eating habits, due to his weight, yea, he can just eat less and he'll lose weight. But what do you think will happen after he reaches his present goal? he will have to adapt again, otherwise he will pack on weight again. So why not get used to proper eating habits right now?
Diets are temporary, health changes are permanent.
Yeah, for some lifts, I videotaped and I think I should do more of it. Especially since I've had a lot of lower back soreness for the last few months. But anyways, when I was doing oly lifting, even some guys with very poor flexibility started off by doing front squats. It's an easy exercise to learn, go down and up, shoulders on the bar, trunk upright, knees out, belly full of air, body tense.

btw, I'm finishing my first Smolov base meso in two days . I have lower back soreness and a shoulder injury (probably a small tear), so I can't back squat or bench right now. I've been doing overhead presses and front squats, honestly, I forgot just how great front squats are. Amazing exercise.

I've been keeping my stuff really simple lately, I'm going to try a year of my current program and we'll see what happens.

Old
04-08-2011, 04:00 PM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Thanks.
I have some Ironman adjustable dumbbells that I assume are the same idea. You just lock or unlock plates to get the desired weight.
I love them. It is a small footprint for a home gym and gives me a lot of options. If I were a bigger fella I could see myself needing heavier options, but for what I use them for, they are perfect.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:04 PM
HabsSlappy

Has anyone else tried P90X?

I did it about a year ago and had very good results. I dropped 20 lbs and dropped my body fat by 10%. I did the "lean" version last time.

I am about to start another 90 day cycle. This time I plan on doing the "classic" version which should promote more muscle growth.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Yeah, for some lifts, I videotaped and I think I should do more of it. Especially since I've had a lot of lower back soreness for the last few months. But anyways, when I was doing oly lifting, even some guys with very poor flexibility started off by doing front squats. It's an easy exercise to learn, go down and up, shoulders on the bar, trunk upright, knees out, belly full of air, body tense.

btw, I'm finishing my first Smolov base meso in two days . I have lower back soreness and a shoulder injury (probably a small tear), so I can't back squat or bench right now. I've been doing overhead presses and front squats, honestly, I forgot just how great front squats are. Amazing exercise.

I've been keeping my stuff really simple lately, I'm going to try a year of my current program and we'll see what happens.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't advise anyone to do weighted squats without having a proper air squat to begin with. Some people, a lot actually, have egos bigger than their muscles and strength, so they will load up a bar with weight they simply shouldn't even be close to. Mix that with poor form/technique, the person could easily get injured. So, as I said, unless the person is smart about training and takes the time to inform himself (a minority does so), I would limit him to air squats, not even dropping down to 90 degrees (or below).
Perhaps you have more trust in people than I do.

Good luck on your training, don't know how your performing Overhead Squats with a Shoulder injury, they're a primary target. I guess it's good news, can't be a huge injury if your doing OHS.

Let me know how it all goes down. I'm writing my business plan to open up my own box with my partner, if it all goes well and we get financing, we should open during the summer.

Old
04-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Little Nilan

Haven't done overhead squats in months.

Old
04-08-2011, 06:35 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

I'm confused
IMO, those who try to scare you away from carbs are mostly full of ****.

Old
04-08-2011, 06:39 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Why? There's no magical insulin fairy that appears after 7 that will metabolize the carbs and turn them into fat.

Overall macros for the day are what matter.
We have a winner. People seem to think your body stops functioning after 6pm or some weird stuff.

There is no problem with it what so ever.