HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #81 vs. Atlanta Thrashers

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #81 vs. Atlanta Thrashers
Henrik Lundqvist 36 44.44%
Brandon Prust 15 18.52%
Other 30 37.04%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Wanna blame someone, try # 10.

Hes paid to score big goals. Hasnt in 9 games. Then he floats and doesnt bust his ass on a backcheck. Start there.

COMPLETELY BEHIND THE BENCHING.
AGREE 1000%. Seriously Gaborik, either start earning your paycheck, or GTF off this team.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Anyone else really on board for tanking next year to get yapukov?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Blueshirt Special

Hank gave up a softy, but the rest of the team gave up completely.

Gaborik is never going to save the day in NYC. Another dreadful signing by the cigar-chomping bureaucrat.

Nothing can change with this team until Sather is gone.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Gaborik has been a total no-show this whole season. How he flies under the radar I'll never figure out.
That's him. It's how he scores too. He's a completely under the radar player...a true sniper (and only a sniper).

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
While I always root for this team to make the playoffs, I wouldn't be completely distraught if that happened.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:29 AM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

can't believe i suffered through this game live...thanks rangers!

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Our goaltending didn't allow anything until about halfway through the game. Where was our offense until then?

Why are you pinning a give-away at the blue line by Avery, a poor defensive choice by Girardi, and pure lazieness by Gaborik on the goalie? All those goals were preventable by making the correct play. Plus you completely overlook the big saves that Lundqvist made in the game to keep it at 2-0.

I'm not saying Lunqvist was exceptional, but he's definitely one of the few guys that I wouldn't pin blame on for last night.
Avery tried to clear and failed. That is who he is - a defensive liability. Only good and great players can be blamed for the loss, it doesn't make sense to go after mediocrity. Lundqvist is world class goaltender, he was not screened on Schremp's shot.
Gaborik is a winger. It was not his job to cover the slot on the breakaway. Girardi had to play 2-on-1 and prevent that pass. Gaborik knew about it, plus he was out of gas. Both him and Dan after all delivered the situation in which Lundqvist was in control, yet he let the puck in.
Lundqvist must to be exceptional. He didn't have his usual legs. Every goal he allowed was due to lateral movement problems. Every good save he made was due to correct positioning. I am sorry, but you have to have both aspects of the game to be what you have to be.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
http://insidehockey.com/?p=23448

Quote:
NEW YORK – The Rangers no longer control their playoff destiny. It was taken away from them by the 12th-place Atlanta Thrashers, who have become the wild card in a postseason that won’t include them.

Ninth-place Carolina (89 points) hosts Atlanta tomorrow. If the Hurricanes win, they’ll tie the Rangers with 91 points. Carolina holds the tiebreaker over New York, so if they win both of their remaining two games, the Hurricanes will claim the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.

“All we’ve lost tonight is the control,” said Rangers coach John Tortorella. “You have to hope for help, and we’ll go to work tomorrow and get ready to play. We have to win our next game. What we did tonight is we lost control. We’re going to have to have help from someone else.”

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
jniklast

Quote:
There's no way we are bad enough with our current core and especially Hank.

Admittedly, there is a way: We could fire Torts and hire MacLean. He could get it done!

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

BTW, I'm not sure if it was just the extreme frustration caused by the game itself but I honestly think I've never been as annoyed at Joe Michelleti as I was last night. In the first period he spent two minutes talking about Craig Ramsay's ideas on stick positioning. The entire rest of the game he can't stop talking about how great Atlanta is.

When the Rangers PP generates nothing:
"Oh well, the Thrashers PK is usually really bad but listen, they've been great lately!"

When a Ranger misses the net or shoots it into Pavelec's chest:
"Hey Sam, Pavelec's been great tonight hasn't he?"

Joe, just stop it. There's a reason the Thrashers are 25th overall.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Bardof425*

Why is anyone surprised? This team has little talent up front. Making the playoffs would have given everyone a false sense of what we are. Take the higher draft pick, replace half of the forwards with younger guys and Brad Richards, and inch closer to that elusive cup. Only Cally, Dubi, Ani, Step and Prust deserve to definitely be on this team next year.

Every other forward is either trade bait or a candidate for no contract. We are too slow up front and too lazy in some cases (Wolski and EC) and need a youth infusion up front similar to the one we are pushing on the backline. Next year, is not a cup year for us. Develop MDZ and either McI or Kundratek or Vtank and infuse Hagelin, Krieder, Thomas, Horak, Grachev and Werek (to take Boyle's spot because his puck and decision making skills are brutal) and Richards to that forward group and watch them grow. The tough decisions are Gabby, Avery, and Wolski. Everyone else, good riddance. LGR!!

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Wanna blame someone, try # 10.

Hes paid to score big goals. Hasnt in 9 games. Then he floats and doesnt bust his ass on a backcheck. Start there.

COMPLETELY BEHIND THE BENCHING.
Obviously if the Rangers don't make the playoffs, I don't want to place blame on one player. But for a player who is supposedly one of the best snipers in the league to not score down the stretch when we need him the most is totally unacceptable. It's actually remarkable what we've been able to accomplish "without" him. And then to play shoddy, irresponsible defense on top of that? Pitiful.

12 of his 22 goals have come in 4 games. That's horrible. He better be suffering from injury right now because his performance has been inexcusable. If he performed up to his potential this season, we would be sitting comfortably in playoff position. How we are ever supposed to make noise in the playoffs if our star forward doesn't even show up for the regular season?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Avery tried to clear and failed. That is who he is - a defensive liability. Only good and great players can be blamed for the loss, it doesn't make sense to go after mediocrity.
This is typical B.S. Mediocrity defines our team. There are very few players around here that are anything better than mediocre. You've basically created a situation with this statement where the only person who can ever get blamed for a loss is Lundqvist and Gaborik. And the one who actually deserves the blame, you are defending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Lundqvist is world class goaltender, he was not screened on Schremp's shot.
Gaborik is a winger. It was not his job to cover the slot on the breakaway. Girardi had to play 2-on-1 and prevent that pass. Gaborik knew about it, plus he was out of gas. Both him and Dan after all delivered the situation in which Lundqvist was in control, yet he let the puck in.
Lundqvist must to be exceptional. He didn't have his usual legs. Every goal he allowed was due to lateral movement problems. Every good save he made was due to correct positioning. I am sorry, but you have to have both aspects of the game to be what you have to be.
Interesting...Gaborik was gassed so it's excuseable that he dogged it from the center line in against Boulton!!! Yet, Lundqvist has started like 20 games in a row and understandably may be somewhat tired also, but you want him "fired" for letting in goals on other players mistakes.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
There's no way we are bad enough with our current core and especially Hank.

Admittedly, there is a way: We could fire Torts and hire MacLean. He could get it done!
Maybe we could finish in the lottery and then trade up to number one.

Something like 5th Overall + 2nd (2012) + Grachev + MDZ + Werek/Horak?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
This is silly. And it is incorrect. The only possible error was the second goal, and Ladd came in with speed and found the 5 hole. Henrik was not the problem.
the first goal should have been stopped. He's too deep and gives the shooter a target. Gabby had a better opportunity on Pavelec, made a better shot and it hit the shoulder because Pavelec came out cut down the angle and gave him no net to hit. That is hank's achilles heel. He is too damn deep.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:03 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Maybe we could finish in the lottery and then trade up to number one.

Something like 5th Overall + 2nd (2012) + Grachev + MDZ + Werek/Horak?
+Lundqvist+Staal+Dubinsky+Callahan+Torts+The Waterboy.

04-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
We were bound to lose some games eventually, it is a matter of will Carolina do the same?

What irks me is that Carolina has lost more games than they have won, are a -4 in goal differential and are still probably going to beat us for a playoff spot. 3 point game system is a travesty.

If Carolina wins out they will get in on a 41-41 true record, compared to our 43-39 or 44-38.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:08 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We were bound to lose some games eventually, it is a matter of will Carolina do the same?

What irks me is that Carolina has lost more games than they have won, are a -4 in goal differential and are still probably going to beat us for a playoff spot. 3 point game system is a travesty.

If Carolina wins out they will get in on a 41-41 true record, compared to our 43-39 or 44-38.
Our record is majorly improved by the shootout. If Carolina gets in they'll have more "real" wins than us.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

They'll have 11 overtime losses though, which shouldn't count as a half win.

I'd be happy to turn shootout wins into ties for perspective (-9 and -5)
and eliminate the loser point (-5 vs -11)

In that case, we are still higher.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
tomobson

buffalo/car lose out. rangers end up in 7th.

calling it.

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Dissapointment...Left MSG last night with complete dissapointment that this team. The team that never gives up, outowrks, outhustles etc. Dissapointment that they didn't come out guns-a-blazing. Very tough pill to swallow.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
jniklast

Quote:
They'll have 11 overtime losses though, which shouldn't count as a half win.

I'd be happy to turn shootout wins into ties for perspective (-9 and -5)
and eliminate the loser point (-5 vs -11)

In that case, we are still higher.
But then you have to count shootout losses as ties as well. In the end Carolina has more wins than us then and also more points

Old
04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Our record is majorly improved by the shootout. If Carolina gets in they'll have more "real" wins than us.
which in itself is a cop out statement.

The fact is that the NHL set this system up to define winners and losers of games.

If you are going to totally devalue the shootout by eliminating those results from determining standings, then why have them there?

Aside from, and unfortunately, serving a fan base that cannot appreciate the value of hard earned tie games, what purpose do they serve if the "win" that you earn will not be treated as such when it matters most.

NHL is brutal with this format.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
But then you have to count shootout losses as ties as well. In the end Carolina has more wins than us then and also more points
I suppose you're right.

In any case regardless of its implications on us this year, I would like either all games to be worth 3 points, or for the loser point to be scrapped. Doesn't make sense that some games should be worth more than others.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
jniklast

Quote:
I suppose you're right.

In any case regardless of its implications on us this year, I would like either all games to be worth 3 points, or for the loser point to be scrapped. Doesn't make sense that some games should be worth more than others.
I'm with you there. But with no ties the loser point should stay at least for shootouts. Just make regulation wins worth 3 points, that would make the system much better. But, alas, the league likes these artificially close playoff races so I doubt anything changes soon