HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News Article: Angry Holmgren Calls Private Meeting With Flyers

Old
04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Figured so much.
Excuse me sir, but you should really read the post from MSE about flaming people.

UNACCEPTABLE! Not everyone can "take it" like you.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Sorry, don't want to derail this panic thread (you'll be fine in the PO's)

but I really had no idea what the topic here would be, when I was browsing HF this is all I got from the headline

News Article: Angry Holmgren Calls Private

Thought and hoped it would end in Sex Line.
Don't be silly. Only Richards and Carter are that sleazy.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
tl;dr. Nice attempt at derailing the thread, though!

I sincerely want to get to the bottom of why Holmgren was so mad... did his barber mess up the crew cut?
What?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
The core has made it to the ECF 2 out of the last 3 years. The year they didn't they got knocked out by the Stanley Cup champion. Not to mention they had John Stevens behind the bench for 2 of those years. I can't imagine the hate you would have for a team like Washington/Boston/Vancouver if you were a fan of them.
Who said anything about hate? Hate the fact that the core of this group seem to be underachievers, but it will never stop my rooting for being a Flyers fan. See, unlike some here is this argument I did not just find this organization, I grew up outside of Philly and wear the colors proudly in NE where I transplanted some 15 years ago.

I grew up with O&B, Silver and Green, the red and white, along with the sixers of the 1980's. I walked in the bicentennial parade in 1976 for my soccer team the Phoenix Soccer Club. I know what it is like to endure the long periods of no championships. I boo at games if the team is playing below the level that is expected. This team has been horribly inconsistent, but yet come the playoffs have stepped up when called upon. Well, this is the time, winners take the next step. Play like you deserve all the adulation, not like you expect to collect the 2pts. Play for the fans and the people who support you, not when you feel like it.

If anyone listened to the Sens broadcast and was not embarrassed by how the commentators kept saying the Flyers looked like the team who was going home and not the Sens well then the passion and pride of being a fan in Philly is gone, but maybe this is a lot of people who joined the crowd and picked the team?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:05 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
What?
Huh?

Old
04-08-2011, 12:07 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Back on topic...

It is NEVER a good thing when your Boss's Boss has to intercede. Last year it was somewhat understandable when Holmgren jumped in the fray during that losing streak but this year it's a bit more disconcerting. Even if it was needed it doesn't make it any less troubling that he had to do an "intervention" when the reins of the team should squarly be on the coach. Micromanaging is not ideal and sometimes backfires.

Sounds like the team has tuned out Lavy a bit just like they did with Stevens which was more than a bit given those horrid losing streaks. I bet Holmgren said shape up or ship out and that he wasn't going to give the players another get out of jail free card and allow the coach to be the sacrificial lamb because they want to take shortcuts with their play as Briere admitted.
What an enlightening post. Let's think about this for a minute.

The GM made a decision to intervene and angrily called out the players this same GM signed.

Who should he be angry at?

Who acquired the players that tuned out their coach? Who acquires players that need to be scolded?

Who signs a Cup winning head coach and then steps on his coach's toes and micromanages?

Paul Holmgren, you sir, are an EPIC FAIL!

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Excuse me sir, but you should really read the post from MSE about flaming people.

Yeah, okay. Sensitivity level at 10 today, people must be nervous for their stars tonight because it could get ugly if they do not give a full 60.

Quote:
UNACCEPTABLE! Not everyone can "take it" like you.

It is what seperates the men from the boys.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
This is what has become of the Flyers fans? It is a crying shame. My father, god rest his soul, would laugh at reading these comments.
Your father would be rolling over in his grave seeing how thick headed his son is. Could that post have been dripping with any more sarcasm?

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post

The GM made a decision to intervene and angrily called out the players this same GM signed.

Who acquired the players that tuned out their coach? Who acquires players that need to be scolded?

Who signs a Cup winning head coach and then steps on his coach's toes and micromanages?

I agree with most of your post, but since I know your reputation for stupid it makes me want to disagree, lest I also be stupid.

Quite a conundrum.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:14 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
I always thought it separated the pitchers from the catchers.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Probably woulda made them cry.

Are the quotes there because the words are only hypothetical and misleading, or because you don't know what you're talking about again?
Wrong about what again? Please explain so I can rebut.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
I agree with most of your post, but since I know your reputation for stupid it makes me want to disagree, lest I also be stupid.

Quite a conundrum.
I have a reputation for stupid?

Explain.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
This is what has become of the Flyers fans? It is a crying shame. My father, god rest his soul, would laugh at reading these comments.

Yes, statistics are exactly what determines winners and losers, not actually having your butt handed to you routinely by lesser teams by being outworked.

Heck, with all this talent, Richie and Cartsie should have had this team at 120pts this season, walking over the likes of Atlanta, the Senators, Canes, Phx, Laffs, Rangers, oh and the Thrashers two more times and Sens again, but nope, those were losses.....plus losses to Boston(2x), Caps, Pens, and Buffalo whom they play tonight.
Best part about this post: "these" is an inclusive word.

Quote:
Disgusting.

Quote:
Wrong about what again? Please explain so I can rebut.
The quotes you had around "high" and "wide" makes both words hypothetical. As such, that would mean they're untrue, and you were posting in jest and on behalf of Carter, or you simply don't know that part of grammar like a lot of people apparently incapable of realizing what quotes do in such an instance.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
tl;dr. Nice attempt at derailing the thread, though!

I sincerely want to get to the bottom of why Holmgren was so mad... did his barber mess up the crew cut?
did you see the Ottawa game? we got taken to school by the Binghamton Seantors. never mind that game, have you seen this club since late february? 6 wins in the last 6 weeks. That may cut it for the Eagles, but not for a NHL team with Cup aspirations.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

Blaming the coach and GM for the players failure to get the job done is like firing Bill Barber because Mark Recchi did not like him.

This team made it to the SCF's under this coach, so there must be some form of success with the system in place.

GM goes out and shores up the main weakness, defensive depth.

Players go out and get off the one of the best starts in club history, praise all around.

After ASB the team starts playing more like individuals. Team starts losing games, inconsistent play. Coach amps up some of the conditioning and practices.

Captain calls out the coach for not allowing the PP units to develop chemistry.

March 17th, coach comes out and says maybe he worked the guys too hard, gives them the time off. Over the past month the coach has given the players the benefit of the doubt, no more overworking, players do their own conditioning.

March 17th-April 8th:

Thu, Mar 17 @Atlanta L4-3 SO
Sat, Mar 19 @Dallas W3-2 SO
Tue, Mar 22 vsWashington L5-4 SO
Thu, Mar 24 vsPittsburgh L2-1 SO
Sat, Mar 26 @NY Islanders W4-1
Sun, Mar 27 vsBoston L2-1
Tue, Mar 29 @Pittsburgh W5-2
Thu, Mar 31 vsAtlanta L1-0
APRIL OPPONENT RESULT W-L-OL
Fri, Apr 1 @New Jersey L4-2
Sun, Apr 3 vsNY Rangers L3-2 SO
Tue, Apr 5 @Ottawa L5-2

So over the last 11 games they have won three times, and take the shootout points all you want, but these are still games which should never have gotten to that point of deciding the outcome.

And you want to blame the GM?????

Old
04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I always thought it separated the pitchers from the catchers.
You can take that however you like. Some people can handle criticism or negative commentary, some cannot.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Your father would be rolling over in his grave seeing how thick headed his son is. Could that post have been dripping with any more sarcasm?
No, actually my father took me to my first Flyers game in 1976, a little different crowd during those days so he waited until I was a little older to take me to a game. He would agree 100% with a lack of effort from this group and the expectations of fans from Philly.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

so basically the GM can only take responsibilty if the Flyers won the Cup, if we dont make the playoffs, or get bombed in the first round its on the playoffs its on the players.
cool. glad we got that cleared up.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
You can take that however you like. Some people can handle criticism or negative commentary, some cannot.
I don't know what's more uncomfortable to read; whether you realize the sexual undertones of what you're rebuking and just totally ignore them, or that you don't realize they're there at all.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:45 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Best part about this post: "these" is an inclusive word.

Disgusting.

Quote:
The quotes you had around "high" and "wide" makes both words hypothetical. As such, that would mean they're untrue, and you were posting in jest and on behalf of Carter, or you simply don't know that part of grammar like a lot of people apparently incapable of realizing what quotes do in such an instance.

Quotation marks can and are often used for emphasis. It was not meant to be ironic. Since it is a fact that Carter often shoots high and wide, the usage of the quotes was not incorrect.

Also, you stated "don't know what I'm talking about again", meaning that I was wrong about things other than just this post. I ask again to show what you mean so that I may rebut.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so basically the GM can only take responsibilty if the Flyers won the Cup, if we dont make the playoffs, or get bombed in the first round its on the playoffs its on the players.
cool. glad we got that cleared up.
No, the GM takes the heat for not being able to keep an eye on how to manage the cap, but this team is built to win now. Even with Bobrovsky in net there is no reason they should not be able to come out of the EC. Once the collective players are on the ice it is up to them to work every shift, win the battles along the boards, and give 110%.

If they fail to excute the gameplan that falls on the players. IF the series is decided because both Bobrovsky and Boucher cannot stop a beachball, that will fall on the GM. But success or failure on the ice is up to the players.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I don't know what's more uncomfortable to read; whether you realize the sexual undertones of what you're rebuking and just totally ignore them, or that you don't realize they're there at all.
The fact that you are even responding to that is probably the most disturbing, but keep a stiff upper lip.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
[/B]

Quotation marks can and are often used for emphasis. It was not meant to be ironic. Since it is a fact that Carter often shoots high and wide, the usage of the quotes was not incorrect.

Also, you stated "don't know what I'm talking about again", meaning that I was wrong about things other than just this post. I ask again to show what you mean so that I may rebut.
Quotes being used for emphasis is a largely colloquial thing. They have a distinct purpose, and that doesn't make some mainstream misinterpretation ok just because it's gotten to be mainstream. (Edit: what you were going for was sarcasm, and we've got a smiley for that.)

I don't want to take up a **** ton of space, and that's what it would take to show where else you've been wrong. It would be around 95% of your posts.

Quote:
The fact that you are even responding to that is probably the most disturbing, but keep a stiff upper lip.
Hey guy, I drink my beverages pinky free and have a fanciful mustache. I'm plenty classy. I just feel recognizing the proletariat is something anyone decent does, and I'm more than decent. I can't believe you'd just ignore a whole societal class.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

Hey guy, I drink my beverages pinky free and have a fanciful mustache. I'm plenty classy. I just feel recognizing the proletariat is something anyone decent does, and I'm more than decent. I can't believe you'd just ignore a whole societal class.
I am comfortable with my manhood. Taking my wife to a nice Italian ristorante and then off to the Symphony, tuxedo to boot.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Cartsiephan*

From Meltzer:

Over the last quarter of the season, the Flyers have mailed their performances far too often, and are actually below .500 (7-8-6) in their last 21 games. During that span, they've scored just 2.48 goals per game (52 GF) while allowing 2.90 goals per game (61 GA). The biggest source of the problem has been that the club has been having bad third periods and the power play has scored just 9 times (9-for-66, 13.6 percent) in that span.