HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Melnyk to address the media at 10am EST

Old
04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
JustinYS

vCash: 50
Eek. Lots of people will be mad I think.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:25 AM
playasRus

vCash: 500
Melnyk trolling Furh

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:25 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
Melnyk really needs to keep quiet. Fisher, I get that...but this "I don't get involved in hockey ops....."I told Bryan to call Nashville".
Most likely scenario:

Nashville's owner from a jail called Melnyk. I want Fisher with my team. Make it happen. THEN Melnyk called Murray

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...stigation.html

From 2008:

American federal authorities are investigating the business dealings of William "Boots" Del Biaggio III, a co-owner of the Nashville Predators, the San Jose Mercury News reported Friday.

The 40-year-old financier, who was brought in as a saviour of the Tennessee-based NHL franchise last summer when it looked to be on the way to Hamilton, Ont., announced this past Monday he was leaving Sand Hill Capital, a firm he co-founded in 1997 as a lender to start-ups, "for personal reasons."

But the Mercury-News reported that sources "familiar with the investigation" were looking into loans Del Biaggio obtained "in the course of a broader examination of his financial dealings....

AND in 2009, 18 months ago

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2009...ison-sentence/

William “Boots” Del Biaggio III’s bid to own a pro hockey team has gotten the Silicon Valley financier in trouble, and we don’t mean that he was sent to the penalty box. A federal judge this week sentenced Del Biaggio to eight-plus years in prison for bilking investors and banks out of millions of dollars to buy a stake in the Nashville Predators, according to the Associated Press.

The sentence comes more than a year after Del Biaggio sought Chapter 11 protection in June 2008. According to the San Jose Business Journal, his filing came amid lawsuits accusing him of fraudulently offering collateral he didn’t own to secure the loans he took out before buying the Predators.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:26 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
CC won't be fired, he just won't be given another contract
same difference....

sens4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:26 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=361371

done deal.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
coach of Melynks jr team, St. Mikes
Ahh true, I didn't even think of that connection. I'm sure he will be looked at but I know Melnyk has a team assembled to do the hiring and I'd be shocked if they snatch him before other coaches are made available through firings etc. Even Vigneault could be available if the 'Nucks collapse

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

vCash: 375
Three years? I'm actually legitimately surprised. That's a lot of time for someone who hasn't proven anything with the team as a GM. Strange.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Melnyk trolling Furh
Melnyk is Furh.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Just get the right damn coach in here. At least talk to Muller.

This would have been a good time to let Tim take over and murray move to advisor, but maybe tim's not ready for that, we don't really know.

As long as management keeps doing what they have been doing the last yr and not what they were doing before. Have to keep building. Don't sit still old timer.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Zorf

I think Melnyk gave Murray a pass on this season because of the ridiculous amount of injuries to key guys and the fact that Elliott couldn't stop a beach ball.

My concern is that Melnyk is looking at the Sens the way Leafs fans look at their team between Feb and March when they go on a stupid run only to finish 9th or 10th. Yeah, when the games meant next to nothing they were a good team, playing with no pressure. We'll see next year how this reabuild is actually going.

Regardless, Murray completely saved his career by making so many trades without taking salary back, and then trading the worst goalie in the NHL for a guy who is playing like one of the best. He saved Melnyk millions in salary, and gave the fans and the organization hope for the future.

I hope to God that they bring in a more experienced coach. Cameron is way too much like Hartsburg, in my opinion.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Whats Melnyks involvement with Cameron anyways?
Coached Bingo from 04-07.

Melnyk revealed the other day Cameron's next step was the NHL but Melnyk asked him for a favour to coach his junior team. Sounds like the favour will be returned...only if Euge is a liar though.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

I like it

I think Melnyk wants the rebuild to be longer, as he said during the interview yesterday and it's part of the deal that Murray doesnt chase UFA's and let the youngs guns play. One can hope atleast.

Anyways I like Bryan and this is good news.

/Flamecoat on

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

At least Hartsburg had won WJC gold

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Nestea

Dont really know much about Cameron at all. Why is everybody so against the idea of Cameron as a potential head coach?

Nestea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf View Post
I think Melnyk gave Murray a pass on this season because of the ridiculous amount of injuries to key guys and the fact that Elliott couldn't stop a beach ball.

My concern is that Melnyk is looking at the Sens the way Leafs fans look at their team between Feb and March when they go on a stupid run only to finish 9th or 10th. Yeah, when the games meant next to nothing they were a good team, playing with no pressure. We'll see next year how this reabuild is actually going.

Regardless, Murray completely saved his career by making so many trades without taking salary back, and then trading the worst goalie in the NHL for a guy who is playing like one of the best. He saved Melnyk millions in salary, and gave the fans and the organization hope for the future.

I hope to God that they bring in a more experienced coach. Cameron is way too much like Hartsburg, in my opinion.
totally agree with this

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf View Post

I think he gave him a pass because the people on the inside have a better clue that the first GM he fired was responsible for most of the hard times. Some of the stuff we had to do to fill our lineup were only necessary because of some of the stupid **** Muckler did.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
inthewings

I am truly disgusted with this team at the moment. Murray has seen this team fall from elite Cup finalist to lottery team. At no point in his four years here has he iced a team worthy of being called a contender. The vast majority of his NHL moves have blown up in his face. He has added next to nothing to the NHL roster. He will soon fire his third coach in four years. With his contract up is was time for accountability, but instead Melnyk chooses to continue the the tradition of the Ottawa Old Boys Country Club. Absolutely disgusting move.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestea View Post
Dont really know much about Cameron at all. Why is everybody so against the idea of Cameron as a potential head coach?
I don't like him because he's boring and unproven, and we've gone this route before and it didn't work.

I REALLY dislike it because Melnyk downplayed his involvement in hockey ops, and would obviously be behind this decision. If Melnyk and Cameron had no connection, we wouldn't even be talking about it. That's a ****ing problem. Don't lie to the public like that.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
I am truly disgusted with this team at the moment. Murray has seen this team fall from elite Cup finalist to lottery team. At no point in his four years here has he iced a team worthy of being called a contender. The vast majority of his NHL moves have blown up in his face. He has added next to nothing to the NHL roster. He will soon fire his third coach in four years. With his contract up is was time for accountability, but instead Melnyk chooses to continue the the tradition of the Ottawa Old Boys Country Club. Absolutely disgusting move.
Tell us how you really feel

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestea View Post
Have you watched the IIHF tournament the last 2 years?

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post

Melnyk revealed the other day Cameron's next step was the NHL but Melnyk asked him for a favour to coach his junior team. Sounds like the favour will be returned...only if Euge is a liar though.
He's also the coach of St Mike's Melnyk's junior team... Twice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Cameron

Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
And you just can't understand what dominoes led to the fall of the franchise. Had competent decisions been made under Muckler, a signing like Kovalev was never needed. Had Kopitar or Staal been chosen over Lee, we probably aren't in the situation and names like Campoli, Kuba, are never needed.

The team had just gone to the Cup, but these decisions were already in effect...the owner said do what's necessary...but the options are limited in FA and trades when no one is killing to sign with you, and you have no prospect depth to trade for good players.

Not many guys better to handle a rebuild then Murray...3 years won't be long enough to finish it.

Old
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:

I remembered him in Bingo, didn't think he had a ton of fanfare there although I could be wrong. I just didn't know he stepped down to coach Melnyks team, I thought he just wanted to coach OHL

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
He's also the coach of St Mike's Melnyk's junior team... Twice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Cameron
Yeah that's what I said, except I didn't realize it was twice. Good lord....welcome Cameron.

Old
04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
inthewings

Quote:
And you just can't understand what dominoes led to the fall of the franchise. Had competent decisions been made under Muckler, a signing like Kovalev was never needed. Had Kopitar or Staal been chosen over Lee, we probably aren't in the situation and names like Campoli, Kuba, are never needed.

The team had just gone to the Cup, but these decisions were already in effect...the owner said do what's necessary...but the options are limited in FA and trades when no one is killing to sign with you, and you have no prospect depth to trade for good players.

Not many guys better to handle a rebuild then Murray...3 years won't be long enough to finish it.
I understand the dominos just fine. I'm not going to rehash the argument, but the reality is that while Murray inherited a tough situation, we wouldn't have been as bad as we currently are had the majority of his pro transactions not blown up in his face.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote