HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF the Flyers make it to the SCF, should we dress Lappy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2011, 11:50 AM
  #1
Intentional Icing
why you little!
 
Intentional Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 215
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
IF the Flyers make it to the SCF, should we dress Lappy?

A lot of lappy talk has been going on recently and this thought came to mind. Lappy, unfortunately, has not had a chance to have his name on the cup after years of service in the nhl. Regardless on how many games you play during the regular season, if you play one game in the finals your name is on the cup.

So my question is this, would you be opposed to dress lappy for a game? Would you think he would like the gesture? Do you think it would happen in a million years?

I, for one, hope so.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-08-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: OT prefix isn't needed
Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:56 AM
  #2
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40,861
vCash: 1100
If Laperriere's health hasn't improved to the point where he can play, Stanley Cup Finals aren't the time to make such gestures. As genial as the thought sounds, it isn't realistic. If the reasoning is to get his name on the Cup, the team can petition the League afterwards and make a request.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
  #3
Ri hards
Registered User
 
Ri hards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If Laperriere's health hasn't improved to the point where he can play, Stanley Cup Finals aren't the time to make such gestures. As genial as the thought sounds, it isn't realistic. If the reasoning is to get his name on the Cup, the team can petition the League afterwards and make a request.
I'm pretty sure teams can add a few names that otherwise wouldn't qualify to the cup when they win.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:00 PM
  #4
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If Laperriere's health hasn't improved to the point where he can play, Stanley Cup Finals aren't the time to make such gestures. As genial as the thought sounds, it isn't realistic. If the reasoning is to get his name on the Cup, the team can petition the League afterwards and make a request.
It wasn't last year, either, but it didn't stop them from doing it.

Nodl played so well last playoffs and he got scratched. for an out of shape skater who could barely keep his eyes open from the lights - it really made me upset that the organization made me want Lappy to get scratched, but he had no reason to be out there.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:08 PM
  #5
Intentional Icing
why you little!
 
Intentional Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 215
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Well how about this.

Do you think lappy will want to dress? That's probably a bigger question honestly.

Also; sorry MSE for the OT prefix, don't know what i was thinking

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
  #6
duffy9748
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Laperriere was part of the top pk unit last year. He had every right to be dressed last year in the finals over Nodl. If he said he was fine, he should have been in. No chance he dresses this year, they would definitely request to the NHL that his name be on the cup though and it should.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:20 PM
  #7
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40,861
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Well how about this.

Do you think lappy will want to dress? That's probably a bigger question honestly.

Also; sorry MSE for the OT prefix, don't know what i was thinking
Not a problem.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:42 PM
  #8
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
It wasn't last year, either, but it didn't stop them from doing it.

Nodl played so well last playoffs and he got scratched. for an out of shape skater who could barely keep his eyes open from the lights - it really made me upset that the organization made me want Lappy to get scratched, but he had no reason to be out there.
I thought it was pretty much known at this point he wasn't entirely truthful then?

Regardless, I can't imagine him even wanting to suit up unless he's ready. I want him to, but it's really just the epitome of a pipe dream at this point.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:51 PM
  #9
JagerPuck
Registered User
 
JagerPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the 215
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If Laperriere's health hasn't improved to the point where he can play, Stanley Cup Finals aren't the time to make such gestures. As genial as the thought sounds, it isn't realistic. If the reasoning is to get his name on the Cup, the team can petition the League afterwards and make a request.
Esp. if he is a finalist for the Masterson Trophy this year and I believe him to be the odds on favorite.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:07 PM
  #10
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Laperriere was part of the top pk unit last year. He had every right to be dressed last year in the finals over Nodl. If he said he was fine, he should have been in. No chance he dresses this year, they would definitely request to the NHL that his name be on the cup though and it should.
You can say he had the 'right' to play over Nodl, but the fact he played like crap hurt the team. He didn't do much PK work IIRC, they left Betts/Powe together. The strong 4th line was one of the reasons we were IN the finals, but in the end we only had three and it hurt us vs. Chicago.

He was selfish in trying to play when he could barely see, and Lavy should have put him back in the pressbox when it was clear he wasn't himself. It was a mistake to put Lappy back in the lineup last year for sentimental reasons, it would be even dumber to do it this year.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:33 PM
  #11
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
You can say he had the 'right' to play over Nodl, but the fact he played like crap hurt the team. He didn't do much PK work IIRC, they left Betts/Powe together. The strong 4th line was one of the reasons we were IN the finals, but in the end we only had three and it hurt us vs. Chicago.

He was selfish in trying to play when he could barely see, and Lavy should have put him back in the pressbox when it was clear he wasn't himself. It was a mistake to put Lappy back in the lineup last year for sentimental reasons, it would be even dumber to do it this year.
You don't question a guy in that instance. I'm sorry, you just don't do it.

And you're really gonna call out Lavi on it? Come on...the guy's game plan is based around attitude more than actual play. He's not going to take out someone who wants to play for him, not in the context we saw last year.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:45 PM
  #12
FlyerGuy18
Registered User
 
FlyerGuy18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The PA of USA
Country: United States
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
The Flyers can petition the league to have him engraved on the Cup. It would be dumb of them not to say yes to it.

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
  #13
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post
The Flyers can petition the league to have him engraved on the Cup. It would be dumb of them not to say yes to it.
Exactly, put his name on the Cup, please and by all means, just don't risk putting him on the ice again to do it.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
  #14
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
I've always wondered how those players feel...I mean, cool, my name would be on the Stanley ****ing Cup. But...I didn't play at least the most recent stretch of the season. It would be a nice gesture, but I'd still want to be able to compete and actually be there through the season and run to get it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:28 PM
  #15
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I've always wondered how those players feel...I mean, cool, my name would be on the Stanley ****ing Cup. But...I didn't play at least the most recent stretch of the season. It would be a nice gesture, but I'd still want to be able to compete and actually be there through the season and run to get it.
I know what you mean.... although I am very certain that all of the players, coaches, the entire organization and the fans would make lappy feel like he was/is a big part of this team, and while it might not be on the ice this year we all know the sacrifice's he made for the team and how much desire and determination he had. While he may be sad he didnt get a chance to play, he would be proud to have his name on there.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:13 PM
  #16
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
If he still has trouble with bright lights, no ****ing chance.

I don't know how many games they need to get a name on the Cup, but I think the Flyers can file a grievance with the league to petition to get his name on the Cup. But who knows. Either way, it's not worth it if it's a health risk to him. He technically shouldn't have even played in last year's SCF.

Edit: Many of my points have been said already. Helps if I read the thread.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:35 PM
  #17
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,641
vCash: 500
unless this team gets their **** together, we wont even have to think about this

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
  #18
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
If he still has trouble with bright lights, no ****ing chance.

I don't know how many games they need to get a name on the Cup, but I think the Flyers can file a grievance with the league to petition to get his name on the Cup. But who knows. Either way, it's not worth it if it's a health risk to him. He technically shouldn't have even played in last year's SCF.

Edit: Many of my points have been said already. Helps if I read the thread.
Let's face it, this team is not winning the Cup anyway, so file under 'moot.'

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:17 PM
  #19
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,909
vCash: 500
Lappy will retire before he plays in the NHL again. I hope he proves me wrong, but it isn't likely.

Having said that, I am sure the Flyers will ask the NHL to put Lappy's name on the cup.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:03 PM
  #20
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
If Flyers are up 3 games to zero in the Finals, dress him and play him for 5 mins in one game on the 4th line Assuming no injuries at all in the top 3 lines.

I guess with all those stipulated conditions, it's like saying 'dont dress him'.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.