HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribiero hit on Handzus

Old
04-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

vCash: 500
Ribiero hit on Handzus

Can someone explain to me why the league didn't even look at this? I'm even more confused now after seeing Torres getting a 4-game suspension, which looked a lot like the Ribiero hit on Handzus. WTF?

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Iunno, it was a questionable hit but I'm glad the refs didn't call anything and kept the game going. When you have this headshot rule in place, it basically gives players the ability to neglect their own protection/safety and rely on the refs to make any call that has any contact with the shoulder & up EVEN WHEN they have their entire body leaned over or looking down . . . Look at the Eberle hit . . is it really Torres fault that Eberle leaned down to reach for the puck?

Stupid . . . . Doughty & Brown (I KNOW, WTF. . THAT WAS CRAZY, BROWN GETTING INVOLED?) handled it properly with getting in the doods face, couple of stinky face washes, no penalties, back to the game.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:50 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Iunno, it was a questionable hit but I'm glad the refs didn't call anything and kept the game going. When you have this headshot rule in place, it basically gives players the ability to neglect their own protection/safety and rely on the refs to make any call that has any contact with the shoulder & up EVEN WHEN they have their entire body leaned over or looking down . . . Look at the Eberle hit . . is it really Torres fault that Eberle leaned down to reach for the puck?

Stupid . . . . Doughty & Brown (I KNOW, WTF. . THAT WAS CRAZY, BROWN GETTING INVOLED?) handled it properly with getting in the doods face, couple of stinky face washes, no penalties, back to the game.
Under the old rules I completely agree with you, but take a look at what they did in the NFL regarding hits to the head. It's a penalty to make contact with the head. It hasn't hurt the NFL game to ban those kind of hits. I think the big problem right now in the NHL is that the players are being asked to change the way they play the game near the end of a season.

If the Torres hit warranted a suspension then the Ribeiro hit absolutely should have as well. I can think of a few Dustin Brown hits that were just as tough as the one Torres laid on Eberle. There was one 2 or 3 years ago where he destroyed Klesla that was within the rules that would be suspension worthy today.

It's just coming to the point of where the NHL has to protect their star players from concussions.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Under the old rules I completely agree with you, but take a look at what they did in the NFL regarding hits to the head. It's a penalty to make contact with the head. It hasn't hurt the NFL game to ban those kind of hits. I think the big problem right now in the NHL is that the players are being asked to change the way they play the game near the end of a season.

If the Torres hit warranted a suspension then the Ribeiro hit absolutely should have as well. I can think of a few Dustin Brown hits that were just as tough as the one Torres laid on Eberle. There was one 2 or 3 years ago where he destroyed Klesla that was within the rules that would be suspension worthy today.

It's just coming to the point of where the NHL has to protect their star players from concussions.
I understand that but now the mindset is "If I put myself in a questionable or vulnerable position, I might be able to draw a penalty" rather than "If I put myself in a questionable or vulnerable position, I might get blown the **** up" . . . I know I will be in the minority with this mindset cause most of the posters on here support "Diving for a penalty and if they call, the end justifies the means" . .

Old
04-08-2011, 01:08 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I understand that but now the mindset is "If I put myself in a questionable or vulnerable position, I might be able to draw a penalty" rather than "If I put myself in a questionable or vulnerable position, I might get blown the **** up" . . . I know I will be in the minority with this mindset cause most of the posters on here support "Diving for a penalty and if they call, the end justifies the means" . .
I don't think it really matters if a players puts himself in a vulnerable position or not. Like I said take a look at what the NFL has done with QBs and receivers. There were too many injuries to the head. The league banned the kind of hits that were causing them. To some extent that has solved the problem.

You telling me Torres had to finish his check there, or that Ribeiro needed to make the hit on Handzus to make an effective hockey play in that situation? I don't think so. As fans we all love the big hit that often occurs when a player is blindsided, but it isn't our eggs that are getting scrambled by them.

I don't know if you're a card carrying member of the I hate Brown because he dives club or not, but drawing penalties is a part of the game. If a player keeps his feet moving and the player taking the penalty doesn't, oh well I guess the guy should learn to keep his feet moving.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't think it really matters if a players puts himself in a vulnerable position or not. Like I said take a look at what the NFL has done with QBs and receivers. There were too many injuries to the head. The league banned the kind of hits that were causing them. To some extent that has solved the problem.

You telling me Torres had to finish his check there, or that Ribeiro needed to make the hit on Handzus to make an effective hockey play in that situation? I don't think so. As fans we all love the big hit that often occurs when a player is blindsided, but it isn't our eggs that are getting scrambled by them.

I don't know if you're a card carrying member of the I hate Brown because he dives club or not, but drawing penalties is a part of the game. If a player keeps his feet moving and the player taking the penalty doesn't, oh well I guess the guy should learn to keep his feet moving.
I am the founder/president/CEO/CFO/COO/ECD of the Hating Brown Diving Club . .

There is drawing a penalty, and then there is doing a face whip lash, paired with a spinning barrel role nose dove to the ice.

We can agree to disagree on this, you're still my favorite poster

Old
04-08-2011, 01:27 PM
LaFan1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Can someone explain to me why the league didn't even look at this? I'm even more confused now after seeing Torres getting a 4-game suspension, which looked a lot like the Ribiero hit on Handzus. WTF?
Ribierto at least had the excuse of going after the puck carrier , Torres ignored
the puck and took the cheap head shot ( And i think Ribierto should have got
a game or 2 ).

LaFan1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The reason Riberio didn't get suspended is because nobody pays attention to Dallas-LA games on the east coast. It was clearly a suspension worthy play based on the new rules.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The reason Riberio didn't get suspended is because nobody pays attention to Dallas-LA games on the east coast. It was clearly a suspension worthy play based on the new rules.
This.

It deserved a suspension.

When in hockey is a player NOT vulnerable to a hit? Are players not supposed to look at the puck?

An elbow to the head of our default #1 center and the league does nothing. Sickening.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Haha, that's a huge does-not-follow. I hate diving, but I'm all for someone getting blown the **** up legitimately. I hated the hit on Handzus because it was a drive-by; nothing was stopping Ribeiro from laying into Handzus. Why did he need to skate past him and throw a shoulder/forearm shiver to the dome? Let's not forget that it's not like Handzus was skating through the middle of the ice with his head down admiring his stickhandling; he got the puck stuck in his equipment when he was at a dead stop and was trying to shake it loose.

Under the new rules, that's a dirty hit. But the league pulled a fast one since Dallas played the next day and hoped no one would notice. They don't give two ***** about LA...should we remember Malkin-Simmonds?

I thought it should have been a fine at the very least, to be clear.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:30 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Luckily for Handzus Riberio weighs 120 lbs or we could easily be entering the playoffs with Stoll as our #1 center instead of the great and powerful Michael Handzus! I think his hair deflected some of the impact.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

At that speed, he's not thinking to him "Oh, I should put on the brakes because the puck is stuff in Zues' equipment. . ." He hits his his upper arm and finishes the check by raising him forearm. Definitely a questionable hit . . Zues gets hit by an elbow, he's out.

Old
04-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Whiskeypete

should have been a suspension. anytime youve got a player throwing an elbow or forearm with upward extension, imo it's an intentional cheap shot. hopefully the league wakes up and bans hits to the head before someone dies. without a change to the eqpt and allowing hits to the head there will be a continuing problem with lost games due to concussion/vertigo

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:54 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I am the founder/president/CEO/CFO/COO/ECD of the Hating Brown Diving Club . .

There is drawing a penalty, and then there is doing a face whip lash, paired with a spinning barrel role nose dove to the ice.

We can agree to disagree on this, you're still my favorite poster
I appreciate that and I enjoy reading your stuff. I just shake my head when Brown over does it and flops all over the place, but I think the kid is still learning and MAYBE at some point the bad acting is something he gets rid of in his game.

Brown is a great asset to the team when he is playing his game the right way. I think he has really shown a lot of poise since the Kopitar injury and stepped up big time.

Old
04-08-2011, 08:24 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Anyone with half a brain would have known that this was a suspendable hit...yet the people at the NHL front offices just aren't that bright... Either that or they ignore the fact that it was done on a Kings player...and that would make it much worse...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:54 PM
johnjm22

Handzus would have to have gotten seriously injured for the NHL to even notice the hit.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote