HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News Article: Angry Holmgren Calls Private Meeting With Flyers

Old
04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Start Leighton*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
I have a reputation for stupid?

Explain.
ShotScore, you are broadly considered to not be very well informed.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Carter's awesome at backchecking, maybe the best on the team.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I am comfortable with my manhood. Taking my wife to a nice Italian ristorante and then off to the Symphony, tuxedo to boot.
...I never questioned your manhood. You are one awkward dude.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, the GM takes the heat for not being able to keep an eye on how to manage the cap, but this team is built to win now. Even with Bobrovsky in net there is no reason they should not be able to come out of the EC. Once the collective players are on the ice it is up to them to work every shift, win the battles along the boards, and give 110%.

If they fail to excute the gameplan that falls on the players. IF the series is decided because both Bobrovsky and Boucher cannot stop a beachball, that will fall on the GM. But success or failure on the ice is up to the players.
its the GMs fault if the team isnt good enough. it hasnt been good enough since Late February. There have been games when the effort has been there lately, not many but there have been some games and it hasnt been good enough.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
ShotScore*

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Quotes being used for emphasis is a largely colloquial thing. They have a distinct purpose, and that doesn't make some mainstream misinterpretation ok just because it's gotten to be mainstream. (Edit: what you were going for was sarcasm, and we've got a smiley for that.)

I don't want to take up a **** ton of space, and that's what it would take to show where else you've been wrong. It would be around 95% of your posts.

1) Yes quotation marks do have a distinct purpose. However, in language there are many examples of things used in mainstream becoming an accepted part of the language whereas it wasn't before.

2) 95% of my posts?

Really?

Let's see....

I've only stated my opinion on a few things here so let's run through them.

1) Kimmo Timonen-I've stated I think he is overrated given his salary and play this season. Was I wrong there? I don't think so. This is opinion after all.

2) Paul Holmgren-I've stated my dislike for him as a GM. I gave reasons. Again, was I wrong? It's opinion.

3) Nikolay Zherdev-I've stated that I think he can contribute. We've seen that recently when Lavy gave him a chance to play. Again, am I wrong here? Don't think so.

4) The alphabetical thing with Jester-Jester tried to say the NHL listed stats only in alphabetical order. This is only partially true. He said "the ONLY category Carle was ranked ahead of Timonen was in turnovers."

This is not true.

Assists: Carle 37, Timonen 31

Penalties Committed: Timonen 17 Carle 10 (note: this is a negative stat. Meaning the higher the number the worse you are.)

Plus/Minus: Carle +27, Timonen +11

On the Road stats among NHL defensemen: NHL rank Carle 24th Timonen 50th

5) Charlie Sheen-I like the guy. I don't care about his personal life. He can live any way he wants and I don't have the right to judge him. It's not like he murdered someone and got away with it.

So Rick, please show me where I'm wrong 95% of my posts so I can rebut your statement.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
What an enlightening post. Let's think about this for a minute.

The GM made a decision to intervene and angrily called out the players this same GM signed.

Who should he be angry at?

Who acquired the players that tuned out their coach? Who acquires players that need to be scolded?

Who signs a Cup winning head coach and then steps on his coach's toes and micromanages?

Paul Holmgren, you sir, are an EPIC FAIL!
By no means absolving Holmgren ..heck never been a Holmgren fanboy just that at some point the players have to take some responsibility. They are the soldiers and like Meltzer said they have mailed it in of late. Having said this yeah Holmgren is hardly blameless but up until recently we had a good product on the ice and it's still there..just a mental thing. Don't like the micromanaging and overstepping the coach which is never a good thing but "it is what it is."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
A very broad consideration.

Quote:
1) Yes quotation marks do have a distinct purpose. However, in language there are many examples of things used in mainstream becoming an accepted part of the language whereas it wasn't before.
This is absolutely untrue. It may be accepted on a colloquial level, between you and your bros, but that doesn't change anything. That would make every inside joke in the world infallible. I'm not even goofing around trying to upset you here, you're simply wrong, and it's evident you have likely never studied any aspect of language beyond what's been the bare requirement of whatever school was subjected to you.

Quote:
2) 95% of my posts?

Really?

Let's see....

I've only stated my opinion on a few things here so let's run through them.

1) Kimmo Timonen-I've stated I think he is overrated given his salary and play this season. Was I wrong there? I don't think so. This is opinion after all.

2) Paul Holmgren-I've stated my dislike for him as a GM. I gave reasons. Again, was I wrong? It's opinion.

3) Nikolay Zherdev-I've stated that I think he can contribute. We've seen that recently when Lavy gave him a chance to play. Again, am I wrong here? Don't think so.

4) The alphabetical thing with Jester-Jester tried to say the NHL listed stats only in alphabetical order. This is only partially true. He said "the ONLY category Carle was ranked ahead of Timonen was in turnovers."

This is not true.

Penalties Committed: Timonen 17 Carle 10 (note: this is a negative stat. Meaning the higher the number the worse you are.)

5) Charlie Sheen-I like the guy. I don't care about his personal life. He can live any way he wants and I don't have the right to judge him. It's not like he murdered someone and got away with it.

So Rick, please show me where I'm wrong 95% of my posts so I can rebut your statement.
For someone who says these things are pretty much all just opinions, you certainly say, "you're wrong" a lot. Your...ability...to opine on things is well documented around here lately, and everyone with brain activity ranging from dead to savant can objectively attest to you being less than intelligent on numerous occasions.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
its the GMs fault if the team isnt good enough. it hasnt been good enough since Late February. There have been games when the effort has been there lately, not many but there have been some games and it hasnt been good enough.
So what has changed from the greatness of the Flyers in the first 40 games to the complacency of the team over the last 40? How can a GM control the effort? Am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

This team is good enough and with all the fanfare around here it sounds like no matter what they do to finish off the season they are still Cup favorites. So if the players have not changed, the coach has not changed, and the plaeyrs are still on the ice executing the gameplan that was successful early in the season how is teh GM responsible for the players not working hard enough to win?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:56 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
This is absolutely untrue. It may be accepted on a colloquial level, between you and your bros, but that doesn't change anything. That would make every inside joke in the world infallible. I'm not even goofing around trying to upset you here, you're simply wrong, and it's evident you have likely never studied any aspect of language beyond what's been the bare requirement of whatever school was subjected to you.

For someone who says these things are pretty much all just opinions, you certainly say, "you're wrong" a lot. Your...ability...to opine on things is well documented around here lately, and everyone with brain activity ranging from dead to savant can objectively attest to you being less than intelligent on numerous occasions.

1) It's not absolutely untrue. The English language has had more influences and changes than the sun has revolutions. To say the mainstream has had no influence on it and, indeed, eventually accepted is wholly absurd. Roman Latin, William the Conqueror, Shakespeare, the list goes on and on.

2) So....you can't answer the question. A total non-answer. Thanks for playing.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:58 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
I'm sure you can give examples.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Jester

Quote:

This is not true.

These are not real-time stats. You've gone to different stats to make your point. If you want to change the stat categorization, then it's a different discussion.

You could at least make a base-level attempt at intellectual honesty.

Quote:
Actually, that's not true in the slightest... unless you think juries are just there for show in the court room.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
I'm sure you can give examples.
He's got nothing. Just looked up the stats between you ShotScore and xchris. Youre rated considerably higher by the site here. He's actually pretty pathetic and right near the bottom.

Last edited by Villedelphia*: 04-08-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
1) It's not absolutely untrue. The English language has had more influences and changes than the sun has revolutions. To say the mainstream has had no influence on it and, indeed, eventually accepted is wholly absurd. Roman Latin, William the Conqueror, Shakespeare, the list goes on and on.
Mainstream has influence on things like words and meaning...check the OED for some awesome etymology. And, even then, it takes at least a couple generations, if not close to a hundred years for those changes to happen. Think about it...when did things like "ain't" go in respectable dictionaries? How long have they been in use?

Grammar is subject to change given context in language, not context of mainstream. In a given instance, (now, granted, there are very numerous instances for some aspects of grammar), X part of grammar will always perform as Y. You misunderstanding quotes, and thinking lots of people are doing it, isn't the kind of manipulation that's going to have any influence on it whatsoever. You're not going to pick up a dictionary and see the function of quotations have changed.

That would be like me calling smooth jazz elevator music in front of a guy who plays an instrument in a smooth jazz ensemble. Try it, he'll go bat**** insane on you. Maybe the meaning has changed for you, and for a good amount of people, but to the people who actually know what they're talking about, it's still the same, and still offensive to the general pursuit of knowledge when you so blindly and vehemently insist on what you're saying being true.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:28 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
These are not real-time stats. You've gone to different stats to make your point. If you want to change the stat categorization, then it's a different discussion.

You could at least make a base-level attempt at intellectual honesty.

Actually, that's not true in the slightest... unless you think juries are just there for show in the court room.
1) What do you mean these are not real time stats? What about the stats I cited aren't true? I didn't go to any different stats I used the same ones I used before--the ones found on NHL.com.

2) No, I don't have the right to judge someone else's life morally. Neither do you. The man committed no crime therefore no point in bringing up jury duty.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
That one should be put in the retard hall of fame right there.

I didn't realize you were a 15th century Catholic priest who still thought the sun revolved around the Earth.
The sun does make revolutions. I guess you were absent during science class.

Wow. The stupidity of some on this board.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
1) What do you mean these are not real time stats? What about the stats I cited aren't true? I didn't go to any different stats I used the same ones I used before--the ones found on NHL.com.
No, you didn't. Real-time stats are a distinct subset of stats.

Quote:
2) No, I don't have the right to judge someone else's life morally. Neither do you. The man committed no crime therefore no point in bringing up jury duty.
Wrongful imprisonment.

Threats of bodily harm (multiple times).

Actual domestic abuse (he plead guilty to assaulting his wife).

So, yes, he's committed crimes.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
If we can't keep this discussion on topic and civil, it'll have to be closed.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
The sun does make revolutions. I guess you were absent during science class.

Wow. The stupidity of some on this board.
The sun rotates, it does not revolve... unless you're talking about our galaxy.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:37 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I think the sun is setting on this thread...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Yeah duh, he's always thinking of the bigger picture. Not sure why he bothers to post here with us pea brains.

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
Yeah duh, he's always thinking of the bigger picture. Not sure why he bothers to post here with us pea brains.
yeah, just one step ahead.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
So what has changed from the greatness of the Flyers in the first 40 games to the complacency of the team over the last 40? How can a GM control the effort? Am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

This team is good enough and with all the fanfare around here it sounds like no matter what they do to finish off the season they are still Cup favorites. So if the players have not changed, the coach has not changed, and the plaeyrs are still on the ice executing the gameplan that was successful early in the season how is teh GM responsible for the players not working hard enough to win?
I think this group is somewhere inbetween where we were in the first 40 games and now. In the first 40 games we were on pace to score more then 300 goals. Nobody does that anymore. While everyone seemed wowed by the offensive pace this team was on, you had to take things into perspective. you knew the team would slow down offensively and go into a slump. I just didnt think it would be a 30 game slump.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Every thread is going postal. It is brutal. Does everyone have you on ignore? How many threads do you have to say "keep it about the posts not the posters" before it sticks? It seems pretty clear to me.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
yeah, just one step ahead.
Something like that.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Of course. I am AMAZED there are people who didn't know this.