HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Voracek

Old
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Nordique

vCash: 500
I wouldn't be against shopping Voracek and Brassard around, but the price would be high for either one of them if I was GM.

As for Filatov, he just hasn't shown near the potential Jake and Brass have. 2008 was a bad draft year, after Stamkos, Schenn, and Doughty, everyone else in the 1st round was just kind of mediocre. In hind sight, you'd love to have Tyler Myers or Del Zotto, but neither one looked that hot then. Filatov was a gamble for Howson, but honestly he wasn't risking much when you look at what he had left to draft from.

The issue with Voracek seems to be consistency and attention to details...not unusual for a young player. Brassard imo is more mature, but he has a tendency to lete his emotions dictate his play, to the point that it is counterproductive. Both players have issues that can be resolved through development and maturity, which is why they haven't been shipped out via trade yet.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
And you know this from where you sit on the other end of the country because.....????
They apparently have not invented planes, automobiles, telephones, television and e-mail where you are yet. So, I'd like to be the first to say, "Welcome to the future Man From the Early 1800's!" They all said you were crazy, but your time machine is clearly a rousing success. Bully for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitter on the point View Post
I will place a friendly wager that both Savard, and Johansen will be on the Roster opening night next season. Savard has been the best defenseman for Springfield this season, he is a right shot, and can run the powerplay. He has 10 goals and 29 assists in 69 games. Even if we go out and pick up an offensive defenseman, a true #1 defenseman, there is pleanty of room for Savard. Heck, look how good Clitsome looked compared to the rest of our defenseman this season.
This is some entertaining political jujitsu on your part. I said Savard and Moore. Now you've morphed it into Savard and Johansen. Beyond that, I'm not accepting wagers the winning of which would require me to have faith that Howson isn't dumb enough to throw two kids on the roster before they should be. If Savard is on the roster, it'd best be because he's taking the place of a guy like Kris Russell, not because our GM failed to get veterans--counterintuitive as it is, the influx of young defenseman necessitates an influx of some veterans (which we are thin on) for the sake of balance.

Quote:
I think the depth some were referring to were, Kubilak, Calvert, Atkinson, Filatov, Mayarov, Johansen, all guys that may have the potential to play in the top 9 in our future. (3 skill lines)
Mayorov and Filatov? I love that Atkinson is the new flavor of the month amongst all those that worship at the alter of prospects.

I want to see actual depth at the NHL level. Not hypothetical depth down on the farm.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Filatov was a gamble for Howson, but honestly he wasn't risking much when you look at what he had left to draft from.
Colin Wilson. Said it at the time of the draft. He's having a pretty good rookie(ish) year. I would take him in a heartbeat. We got hung up in flash over substance. I hope it eventually pays off for us. I'm sure Wilson will be a Jacket killer starting in the next couple of years and will torment us during his career.

Hell, Hodgson looks like it would have been a better choice... :p

I'll hold off on judgment for the 2008 draft, there appears to be quite a few good players that have came or coming out of that first round. Despite Filatov, that might turn out to be a heck of a draft for us.

Last edited by blahblah: 04-08-2011 at 11:26 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
2008 was a bad draft year, after Stamkos, Schenn, and Doughty, everyone else in the 1st round was just kind of mediocre. In hind sight, you'd love to have Tyler Myers or Del Zotto, but neither one looked that hot then. Filatov was a gamble for Howson, but honestly he wasn't risking much when you look at what he had left to draft from.
Uh, 2008 was probably the strongest draft in recent memory, along with 2003.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:19 PM
KlattNazty

Sorry for being ignorant, but is it possible that columbus completely overhauls this season? New management, and tanking wise?

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
Sorry for being ignorant, but is it possible that columbus completely overhauls this season? New management, and tanking wise?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=897279

Matt Foley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
They apparently have not invented planes, automobiles, telephones, television and e-mail where you are yet. So, I'd like to be the first to say, "Welcome to the future Man From the Early 1800's!" They all said you were crazy, but your time machine is clearly a rousing success. Bully for you!
Wow, what a clever "non answer". You really put me in my place.

So, in reality, your answer is that you "read it on the internet so it must be true"? Or... my friend has a friend who said their neighbor once saw....

I am tired of hearing these guys (esp. Jake n Brass) beat up around here based primarily on hearsay and rumor. I am not saying they are sitting around in book club debating the themes in Jane Austen novels, but the tone of this is getting ridiculous.

Can't wait till the next whipping boy is selected.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:25 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Wow, what a clever "non answer". You really put me in my place.

So, in reality, your answer is that you "read it on the internet so it must be true"? Or... my friend has a friend who said their neighbor once saw....

I am tired of hearing these guys (esp. Jake n Brass) beat up around here based primarily on hearsay and rumor. I am not saying they are sitting around in book club debating the themes in Jane Austen novels, but the tone of this is getting ridiculous.

Can't wait till the next whipping boy is selected.
No, I didn't "read it on the Internet". Believe what you want. The truth is, he can get ****faced all he wants if he goes out and scores 30 plus goals or gets 80+ points and you won't hear boo out of me. But when you want to pretend he's a "whipping boy" when the reality is that he's a bona fide disappointment, be my guest. The truth is, he isn't performing well enough to justify his laissez faire attitude towards his profession.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:28 PM
blahblah

Well we'll find out if management agrees with your assessment here soon enough Capn.

Old
04-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

There are plenty of teams who would love to have Jake. If he gets moved, it is most likely because he has value, not conjecture of frustrated negative fans.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:11 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
Saying Caputi is going to be a second line winger is being very generous.... I'd be shocked. I wouldn't do that trade. Only way I think Jake will be moved will be in a package for a better player. He won't be the best piece in the deal. Just my opinion of course.

As frustrating as Jake is, I'm pretty sure he's being under-valued by many in this thread.

I know that could be pushing it, but he put up huge numbers in junior and has shown in the AHL that he can score. Just a weak justification, but on the right team, he might be able too.

And I know that people are really not giving him enough credit. As I said, I think he could be a 25-30 goal scorer. Just give it time. I remember when Calgary gave up on Marty St. Louis and look where he's at now.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:36 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I know that could be pushing it, but he put up huge numbers in junior and has shown in the AHL that he can score. Just a weak justification, but on the right team, he might be able too.

And I know that people are really not giving him enough credit. As I said, I think he could be a 25-30 goal scorer. Just give it time. I remember when Calgary gave up on Marty St. Louis and look where he's at now.
Then why would you want to trade him? He's too valuable if you're right.

Of course Gilbert Brule was an absolute beast in Juniors, way better than Caputi. Now, he's an All Star for the Oilers

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:56 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
There are plenty of teams who would love to have Jake. If he gets moved, it is most likely because he has value, not conjecture of frustrated negative fans.
And if he doesn't get traded it could be that it isn't that management loves him, just that no one else is dumb enough to offer anything of value for another prima donna.

Old
04-09-2011, 01:51 AM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
[Voracek] could be a 25-30 goal scorer. Just give it time.
We're running out of time. I am not sure he will ever reach 30 in any season for his career. They say if a dog is a biter, he'll bite as a pup. I don't think we have a biter here. We have a Vyborny 2.0, who looks for the pass first. And many times, his instincts for the pass are wrong! I don't think he'll ever put enough quality shots on goal to get 30. Just my opinion of course, and I've stated it before. Please package Jake for a #1 defender. Pretty please. That's what I want for my draft-day present this year.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 06:41 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Voráček can score 25 goals but his speciality is an excelent passes. It would be a mistake to trade him we develop him and he will be star in another team. His potential is the first line winger. But he need another center not Brassard who is passer too.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:11 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Today's Dogpatch has a headline

Jacket's Voracek told to get in shape

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...e.html?sid=101

From the article:

Quote:
Coach Scott Arniel still sees great potential in the Czech-born forward, but yesterday during the players' exit interviews he drove home one point:

"The biggest thing that is holding him back is his conditioning," Arniel said.

"I think this guy can be an elite player in this league if he gets himself in shape."
Is this a public swipe at his rumored love of night life?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Hawkscap

I am hoping the Hawks drop an offer sheet for him, if he gets to July 1st unsigned.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:57 AM
blahblah

rofl, we are back at conditioning... again...

If all else fails, you're fat...

Seriously, if we are going to ***** and moan about conditioning very year let's fix it. If the players don't want to work, dump em. This is always the fall back answer for everything when thing don't go well.

I don't want to hear that a player is out of shape, I want to see them on another team.

Oh I don't doubt Jake is fighting some conditioning issues. However, I highly doubt "It's the biggest thing holding him back."

Old
04-12-2011, 08:03 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
I am hoping the Hawks drop an offer sheet for him, if he gets to July 1st unsigned.
Why would the Hawks drop an offer sheet on him?

Old
04-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

IMO, he is what the Hawks need in their top 6. And, I don't think Columbus would trade with the Hawks.

I was hoping the Hawks were going to draft him but they wound up winning the lottery.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Catching falling paper is part of his new workout regimen. At least until they find some chickens for him to chase.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:33 AM
CentreKeeper12
TheCentreKeeper

I think that Jake, Filatov will most likely be gone. I think that we could get a 2nd for jake and prob a 3rd for Filatov. Idk why I think this, I just have a feeling

CentreKeeper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlood1 View Post
I think that Jake, Filatov will most likely be gone. I think that we could get a 2nd for jake and prob a 3rd for Filatov. Idk why I think this, I just have a feeling
They better not trade them for just picks.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:09 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Catching falling paper is part of his new workout regimen. At least until they find some chickens for him to chase.
Sadly, I think Rocky's trainer passed away. However, Stallone could take him over to Siberia.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:13 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
IMO, he is what the Hawks need in their top 6. And, I don't think Columbus would trade with the Hawks.

I was hoping the Hawks were going to draft him but they wound up winning the lottery.
That doesn't explain why you think the Hawks would drop an offer sheet on him. That move would probably be one of their last resorts.