HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sauer vs McIlrath

Old
04-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
McIlrath isn't even in the same galaxy as Sauer as far as positioning and decisionmaking. Sauer's hockey IQ is off the charts. If McIlrath becomes even half as smart a player as Sauer is, then he'll be of use.
Sauer played 3 years in the AHL and is 5 years older than McIlrath. That would be like saying someone who is working in the professional world for 2 years is smarter than a high school senior, i think it's obvious.

Which brings me to my next point. McIlrath has had a strong, positive season. He was a top pairing defensemen on Moose Jaw. It's very hard to compare sauer to him when sauer has been playing professional hockey for 4 seasons.

If you compare their first full season in the WHL, Sauer had 8 more points and 3 more goals. He also had 68 PIM's to McIlraths 153. I think McIlrath has actually impressed more than Sauer did in his first season in the WHL.

Still, McIlrath is nowhere near his full development and time will only tell what he becomes. I think it's extremely hard to compare these two players right now though. Sauer IMO is not the type of defensemen that McIlrath is.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Sauer = Foote ?
McIlrath = Beukeboom? or old school McSorley

I think that players are there more for comparison to answer the OP rather than actual comparisons. I'm expecting more snarl from McIlrath than Sauer shows.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:46 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

The difference that I see is the following. I have never watched Sauer live, only on TV, but I have seen McIlrath live a fair bit in the WHL and he is an absolute wreckingball and he knows how to fight and he rarely loses a fight. Has intimidated the entire WHL since joining the league.

Sauer= fairly physical defenseman with offensive upside, very good defensively.

McIlrath= Wreckingball, very limited offensive upside, stay at home solid in his own zone, really knows how to toss em, rarely loses a fight and is INTIMIDATING to the other team. Could become a fan favorite on broadway!!

Last edited by TrueBlueNorwegian: 04-08-2011 at 04:58 PM.
TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
The difference that I see. I have never watched Sauer live, only on TV, but I have seen McIlrath a fair bit in the WHL and he is an absolute wreckingball and he knows how to fight and he rarely loses a fight. Has intimidated the entire WHL since joining the league.

Sauer= fairly physical defenseman with offensive upside, very good defensively.

McIlrath= Wreckingball, very limited offensive upside, stay at home solid in his own zone, really knows how to toss em, rarely loses a fight and is INTIMIDATING to the other team. Could become a beast on broadway!!
This is how i feel, Sauer is a good physical d-man, but not downright scary. Meanwhile, McIlrath intimidates. I just don't think Sauer gives off that vibe.

Old
04-08-2011, 05:04 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Sauer played 3 years in the AHL and is 5 years older than McIlrath. That would be like saying someone who is working in the professional world for 2 years is smarter than a high school senior, i think it's obvious

Which brings me to my next point. McIlrath has had a strong, positive season. He was a top pairing defensemen on Moose Jaw. It's very hard to compare sauer to him when sauer has been playing professional hockey for 4 seasons.
That's all true, unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything, because I would say the same exact statement if I was comparing McIlrath with Sauer from 5 years ago.

Quote:
If you compare their first full season in the WHL, Sauer had 8 more points and 3 more goals. He also had 68 PIM's to McIlraths 153. I think McIlrath has actually impressed more than Sauer did in his first season in the WHL..
I couldn't disagree more. I loved the Sauer pick precisely because, unlike McIlrath, he made it very clear even in juniors that as far as the mental part of the game, he had a very strong foundation to begin with.

Quote:
Sauer IMO is not the type of defensemen that McIlrath is.
You're right. In many ways, they're polar opposites. One plays the game efficiently, the other...not so much.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

QUOTE=Sting36e;32210412]That's all true, unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything, because I would say the same exact statement if I was comparing McIlrath with Sauer from 5 years ago.[/QUOTE]

So you do like the McIlrath pick? Not asking if you would have taken someone else over him. Just asking do you like him from what you've seen so far?

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. I loved the Sauer pick precisely because, unlike McIlrath, he made it very clear even in juniors that as far as the mental part of the game, he had a very strong foundation to begin with.
Fair argument. Sauer certainly wasn't a bum by any means. And, if not for all the injuries, I always expected him to make an impact at the NHL level. Maybe I'm just more impressed, at how McIlrath is such a force on the ice.

Quote:
You're right. In many ways, they're polar opposites. One plays the game efficiently, the other...not so much.
I'm assuming this was a mocking statement. I thought it was quite evident i was referring to each players style. Sauer focuses on more of a finesse game, although he does bring grit. Meanwhile McIlrath is just a mean, tough SOB.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:57 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
So you do like the McIlrath pick? Not asking if you would have taken someone else over him. Just asking do you like him from what you've seen so far?
No, I don't. I think he's an inefficient player and I think he has a LONG way to go to be NHL-ready as far as the mental part of the game foes. He makes Garnet Exelby-like mistakes.

Quote:
Fair argument. Sauer certainly wasn't a bum by any means. And, if not for all the injuries, I always expected him to make an impact at the NHL level. Maybe I'm just more impressed, at how McIlrath is such a force on the ice.
The one thing that sets him a part from other players is his hitting, but the majority of his hits are the result of him chasing puck handles and giving up valuable positioning. As opposed to Michael Sauer, who might do something like that once a month.

Quote:
I'm assuming this was a mocking statement. I thought it was quite evident i was referring to each players style. Sauer focuses on more of a finesse game, although he does bring grit. Meanwhile McIlrath is just a mean, tough SOB.
Semi-mocking. It doesn't matter what style you play. What matters is making good decisions more often than not. Michael Sauer is a phenomenal decisionmaker. Rarely makes a mistake. Rarely goes to the wrong place on the ice. Rarely turns the puck over. Rarely gets beat one-on-one. And most of this was true about Sauer when he played juniors. McIlrath makes mistakes every other shift, and pretty gruesome ones. Mistakes that make you (or me, at least) want to bang my head against the wall and throw things at the computer screen/TV.

Old
04-09-2011, 01:06 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
No, I don't. I think he's an inefficient player and I think he has a LONG way to go to be NHL-ready as far as the mental part of the game foes. He makes Garnet Exelby-like mistakes.

The one thing that sets him a part from other players is his hitting, but the majority of his hits are the result of him chasing puck handles and giving up valuable positioning. As opposed to Michael Sauer, who might do something like that once a month.

Semi-mocking. It doesn't matter what style you play. What matters is making good decisions more often than not. Michael Sauer is a phenomenal decisionmaker. Rarely makes a mistake. Rarely goes to the wrong place on the ice. Rarely turns the puck over. Rarely gets beat one-on-one. And most of this was true about Sauer when he played juniors. McIlrath makes mistakes every other shift, and pretty gruesome ones. Mistakes that make you (or me, at least) want to bang my head against the wall and throw things at the computer screen/TV.
Examples of the last statement? Where were you all season with pointing out instances of this? Several people were curious about this game-game and no one said one word about it. Now to summarize his whole season as every other shift a gruesome mistake seems misleading and exaggeration. How is he on the top pairing if that's true? You must not have very good things to say about the coaching staff in Moose Jaw if they leave such a defensive cancer on the top pairing.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

I really just don't agree with anything you said here. Seems like you were against McIlrath from the get go and have never looked back. He shows a lot of promise and it really seems that you have no patience with this kid. You're entitled to your opinion though, so i respectfully disagree, with everything.

Old
04-09-2011, 01:22 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
I really just don't agree with anything you said here. Seems like you were against McIlrath from the get go and have never looked back. He shows a lot of promise and it really seems that you have no patience with this kid. You're entitled to your opinion though, so i respectfully disagree, with everything.
I don't even b;lame people and agree with them for hating this pick at the time it was made it was sooooo dumb. But the colored commentary by some people (You'll see bluenote harped on this all season) was hilariously insane. Alluva sudden coming out of nowhere to say every other shift was gruesome is an example of this though I haven't seen sting say much about McI this year for good or ill. i think he knows and most of us know that it wasn't a good pick thought the player may become something good. He's got a long way to go. It's not everyday the consensus is a guaranteed 3-5 years development cycle for a top 10 pick.

Old
04-09-2011, 02:26 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Examples of the last statement? Where were you all season with pointing out instances of this? Several people were curious about this game-game and no one said one word about it. Now to summarize his whole season as every other shift a gruesome mistake seems misleading and exaggeration.
You're kidding, right? I've said this every time I've ever spoke about the player. I said this long before the Rangers drafted him. As for not pointing it enough out during the season, what incentive is there for this? The only comments they're looking for are comments that validate their nothing-but-positive outlook. Lest someone say something negative, and the discussion turns into nonsense about how some people aren't real Ranger fans or ******** like that.

Quote:
How is he on the top pairing if that's true? You must not have very good things to say about the coaching staff in Moose Jaw if they leave such a defensive cancer on the top pairing.
Moose Jaw is a relatively weak team with a terrible group of defensemen. I don't think there is a single blueliner on that club other than McIlrath that will ever make an impact at the NHL level. If any will, then they'll be of their younger ones who are WHL first-year players. The coaching staff in Moose Jaw doesn't exactly have a lot of options. That's one issue. The other is that the mistakes that McIlrath makes are mistakes you can afford to make at the junior level. A lot of the times, you can get away with it. Those same mistakes at the NHL level, however, are mistakes that usually result in goals or, at the very least, high-quality scoring chances. Just because you can get away with them right now doesn't mean you should be doing it. Why grow into bad habits when you're already incredibly raw in the most important aspects of the sport? Or maybe, just maybe, the mistakes are being made because the player doesn't know any better.

Quote:
Oh, I was most certainly against the pick from the get go. Here's a post I made in May of last year:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=104

Whatever GM makes that move can chalk another one in the "Whoops!" column. I love seeing teams make big blunders.

"We just wasted our top 15-20 first rounder on a future third-pairing hitter who nightcaps as a goon."

It's not really a matter of not looking back. It's that I haven't seen anything to change my mind.

Old
04-09-2011, 02:46 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
You're kidding, right? I've said this every time I've ever spoke about the player. I said this long before the Rangers drafted him. As for not pointing it enough out during the season, what incentive is there for this? The only comments they're looking for are comments that validate their nothing-but-positive outlook. Lest someone say something negative, and the discussion turns into nonsense about how some people aren't real Ranger fans or ******** like that.

Moose Jaw is a relatively weak team with a terrible group of defensemen. I don't think there is a single blueliner on that club other than McIlrath that will ever make an impact at the NHL level. If any will, then they'll be of their younger ones who are WHL first-year players. The coaching staff in Moose Jaw doesn't exactly have a lot of options. That's one issue. The other is that the mistakes that McIlrath makes are mistakes you can afford to make at the junior level. A lot of the times, you can get away with it. Those same mistakes at the NHL level, however, are mistakes that usually result in goals or, at the very least, high-quality scoring chances. Just because you can get away with them right now doesn't mean you should be doing it. Why grow into bad habits when you're already incredibly raw in the most important aspects of the sport? Or maybe, just maybe, the mistakes are being made because the player doesn't know any better.

Oh, I was most certainly against the pick from the get go. Here's a post I made in May of last year:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=104

Whatever GM makes that move can chalk another one in the "Whoops!" column. I love seeing teams make big blunders.

"We just wasted our top 15-20 first rounder on a future third-pairing hitter who nightcaps as a goon."

It's not really a matter of not looking back. It's that I haven't seen anything to change my mind.
What's the incentive in saying it now then? There are plenty of sensible people who were willing to hear about defensive issues game in and out. The fact you wait till the whole season is over to say every single other shift was gruesome makes no sense. WHy wouldn't you want to discuss this during the season immediately AFTER the gruesome mistakes? You don't want to lose a popularity contest this is your reason?
Makes zero sense.
Like I said I agree horrible stupid pick but he could develop into something great I understand what they saw even though i hate it. I would have no problem if I got occassional "here's how McI did today" followed with horrible D gaffes.
If that actually IS what he's doing than it wouldn't be a surprise but what is surprising is no one ever mentioned this during this season. We got a lot of "McI is the future! " Which is self serving and useless trolling bs.

Everyone was too busy b****ing we made to pick and I don't think a single damn person ever gave a critique of him all season...well one guy did and got trolled by bluenote. Then about 5 other guys said thank you and told blue to essentially f off. People appreciate knowledge and scouting it's just rarely presented around here in lieu of obvious agendas and garbage. like I said I've never even seen you comment on him this season so i'm not even talking about you. But to not comment and then act as if you've seen what no one else has even talked about this whole season is just fishy. You're probably exagerrating the truth here but your exagerration is based off fact which sucks b/c it helps support the theory we sh** the bed with this pick.

Old
04-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Ola

Anders Hedberg was the commentator (jesus that I never learn the english word for this, what's Joe M's position called? The expert next to the play-by-play game covering a game?) for one of our games a few weeks ago for Swedish TV, and was asked about the Swedes for the upcoming draft (and basically said "I can't get into ranking them, but its no secret that Adam Larsson is very high regarded by everyone, he mentioned Landeskog, another kid and Mika Zinbanejad (had problems pronouncing his game FWIW )), and then said something really interesting and used the last NYR draft as a example.

He said that when building a team you do not want careful players, you want players who, in lack of better translation -- have their way (sw: tar för sig), and he then said sometimes you pass on more talented players to get a player like that (which I definitely interpreted as if he referred to Fowler). And he explained more and talked about it for a good couple of minutes. Talked about how you want players who thrive when going outside their box et c., because in important games, when it matters, its that type of players who basically always are the deciding factor. And Fowler, from what I've seen of him, is the opposite of that. Sure he is very good, but so cautious. Won't step outside his comfort level.

He definitely made a very good argument. And McIlrath is definitely that type of player. I've seen some of him this season, and I've started to like the pick for sure.

I love Sauer, don't get me wrong. But he is the extremely loyal type. If I was a officer in a war, and needed to pick one guy from this team to leave behind and slow down the enemy, and I wanted to be absolutely sure that that guy would stay and not run as soon as I got out of sight -- I would pick Sauer.

But McIlrath is the type you notice. He'll get headlines. He wants headlines. He will do good and not so good stuff, kind of like a Pronger. And probably get in trouble here and there. But in the really big games, he's also the type that probably will step up and be on the frontline all the time.

In terms of style, they are pretty simular, or will be in the NHL I guess at least. While McI probably have more potential. But they are different characters.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
gravytrain6t

So wait a second. After reading some of these posts I feel like we're getting the next Dale Purinton and we drafted him in the first round. I know nothing about Mcilrath's game except that he fights. Someone tell me he can play defense!! Please?

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:15 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
He will do good and not so good stuff, kind of like a Pronger. And probably get in trouble here and there. But in the really big games, he's also the type that probably will step up and be on the frontline all the time.
If he can get his game any where near the level of play that Pronger's at, that would be just terrific! One thing I notice, is that player's like Pronger and/or S. Stevens really take a while to put it all together. Stevens bounced around from the Caps to the Blues to finally the N.J.D. . As for Pronger, he really started to come into to his own after Keenan had enough of him. It's probably going to take a lot of patience but it's paid off with Sauer thus far.

Old
04-09-2011, 04:24 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
In terms of style, they are pretty simular, or will be in the NHL I guess at least. While McI probably have more potential. But they are different characters.
Disagree. McIlrath chases people down. The great defensemen don't do that. They let people come to them. The way McIlrath plays expends more energy, creates greater chance of injury, and increases the likelihood of receiving a penalty on any given play.

Sauer may not be a great defenseman, but he's already a very solid one. If he can stay healthy, he'll be regarded as one of the NHL's true unsung heroes by those who understand the game. He plays a very smart game, and offers a little bit of everything when necessary. I'll take a guy who makes the least mistakes in the regular season in the playoffs, too.

Komisarek, Phaneuf, O'Brien, Bieksa...McIlrath has a lot of their qualities, both the good and the bad. IMO, the bad outweighs the good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
So wait a second. After reading some of these posts I feel like we're getting the next Dale Purinton and we drafted him in the first round. I know nothing about Mcilrath's game except that he fights. Someone tell me he can play defense!! Please?
No, McIlrath is not Dale Purinton. McIlrath will be an NHL player. My contention is simply that he may be an all-flash, no-substance type. Those players are not conducive to winning. Purinton is horrible. McIlrath will be an NHL player. But not one I'd want on my team. Guys like him get injured a lot, guys like him give up big goals a lot.

Quote:
What's the incentive in saying it now then? There are plenty of sensible people who were willing to hear about defensive issues game in and out. The fact you wait till the whole season is over to say every single other shift was gruesome makes no sense. WHy wouldn't you want to discuss this during the season immediately AFTER the gruesome mistakes? You don't want to lose a popularity contest this is your reason? Makes zero sense.
Popularity contest? Where do you even get that from? Who needs more threads turning into arguments about which poster is a bigger Ranger fan than the other?

The incentive is that I'd like to vent after another incredibly frustrating season of New York Rangers hockey.

Quote:
But to not comment and then act as if you've seen what no one else has even talked about this whole season is just fishy. You're probably exagerrating the truth here but your exagerration is based off fact which sucks b/c it helps support the theory we sh** the bed with this pick.
You don't have to believe me, that's fine. No reason for me not to share my opinion, though. I'm not exaggerating.

Old
04-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
What's the incentive in saying it now then? There are plenty of sensible people who were willing to hear about defensive issues game in and out. The fact you wait till the whole season is over to say every single other shift was gruesome makes no sense. WHy wouldn't you want to discuss this during the season immediately AFTER the gruesome mistakes? You don't want to lose a popularity contest this is your reason?
Makes zero sense.
Like I said I agree horrible stupid pick but he could develop into something great I understand what they saw even though i hate it. I would have no problem if I got occassional "here's how McI did today" followed with horrible D gaffes.
If that actually IS what he's doing than it wouldn't be a surprise but what is surprising is no one ever mentioned this during this season. We got a lot of "McI is the future! " Which is self serving and useless trolling bs.

Everyone was too busy b****ing we made to pick and I don't think a single damn person ever gave a critique of him all season...well one guy did and got trolled by bluenote. Then about 5 other guys said thank you and told blue to essentially f off. People appreciate knowledge and scouting it's just rarely presented around here in lieu of obvious agendas and garbage. like I said I've never even seen you comment on him this season so i'm not even talking about you. But to not comment and then act as if you've seen what no one else has even talked about this whole season is just fishy. You're probably exagerrating the truth here but your exagerration is based off fact which sucks b/c it helps support the theory we sh** the bed with this pick.
That guy who gave the game review and didn't include the fact he received a misconduct? We get very little info on him all season and this guy took his time to post here but didn't include a misconduct penalty? Wouldn't you want to know what happened if you only saw a boxscore and Staal or Sauer received a misconduct, would you be interested? Yeah, of course! Don't give me fluff from a Moose Jaw fan, include the facts, which btw is all I've done the whole season about DM game.

Appreciate knowledge and scouting? Please, don't hide behind that, I bring up facts about his play and I'm the bad guy cause I didn't care for the call Slats and co made. You constantly get defensive and name call instead of sticking to the facts about a player we both root for as Ranger property. When I read the Shea Weber comparisons around here its important to keep in mind he only scored 1 of his teams last 30 PP goals, with like 3 PP points total in the last 2 months of his 3rd WHL season. I know how that offends you so but its only fact based on his play. I have no personal agenda against Mcilrath, I hold the organization accountable if he does not become the player they said they were drafting. They're the pros they should know, right?

You also have to wonder why we received almost NO reports about his play, yet every game we heard if Christian Thomas sneezed

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:49 PM
gravytrain6t

Little off topic but, before the season started I thought the Rangers should have went after Etem in the first round when he finished the season with 37 goals. In 7 fewer games he put up 8 more goals and finished the year with 80 pts and an incredible plus/minus. I hope these guys know what they're doing. We just continually go after more defense in the early rounds. No Etem, no Giroux? Offensively, Etem would be ranked how high among our forward prospects? He'd be up there with Thomas and Kreider.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=120970

Old
04-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Anders Hedberg was the commentator (jesus that I never learn the english word for this, what's Joe M's position called? The expert next to the play-by-play game covering a game?)
The term you're looking for is color guy or color commentator.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:52 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That guy who gave the game review and didn't include the fact he received a misconduct? We get very little info on him all season and this guy took his time to post here but didn't include a misconduct penalty? Wouldn't you want to know what happened if you only saw a boxscore and Staal or Sauer received a misconduct, would you be interested? Yeah, of course! Don't give me fluff from a Moose Jaw fan, include the facts, which btw is all I've done the whole season about DM game.

Appreciate knowledge and scouting? Please, don't hide behind that, I bring up facts about his play and I'm the bad guy cause I didn't care for the call Slats and co made. You constantly get defensive and name call instead of sticking to the facts about a player we both root for as Ranger property. When I read the Shea Weber comparisons around here its important to keep in mind he only scored 1 of his teams last 30 PP goals, with like 3 PP points total in the last 2 months of his 3rd WHL season. I know how that offends you so but its only fact based on his play. I have no personal agenda against Mcilrath, I hold the organization accountable if he does not become the player they said they were drafting. They're the pros they should know, right?

You also have to wonder why we received almost NO reports about his play, yet every game we heard if Christian Thomas sneezed
We heard about Christian Thomas everygame because the kid scored almost everygame, not to mention there are people on this board that have actually had the opportunity of watching Thomas play. Thomas is a player that we can sort of get away with 'stat watching', McIlrath is a player that, to get an understanding of how he's playing, we need to talk to someone that HAS actually watched him play to give us a fair assessment. What you do is far from that, you just bring up points about penalties and opponents.
When it comes to actual examples of ingame situations where McIlrath has faultered, I can't recall any of you people that are down on McIlrath coming in here with a specific play or the like to support your case.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

So to settle this, who has watched more than a handful of McIlrath games this year.

Old
04-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
We heard about Christian Thomas everygame because the kid scored almost everygame, not to mention there are people on this board that have actually had the opportunity of watching Thomas play. Thomas is a player that we can sort of get away with 'stat watching', McIlrath is a player that, to get an understanding of how he's playing, we need to talk to someone that HAS actually watched him play to give us a fair assessment. What you do is far from that, you just bring up points about penalties and opponents.
When it comes to actualy examples of ingame situations where McIlrath has faultered, I can't recall any of you people that are down on McIlrath coming in here with a specific play or the like to support your case.
When I mentioned his excessive penalties in one game I was criticized for focusing on one game, then when I bring up facts about his play over the course of half a season some posters called for examples. I welcome anyone who has watched him over time this season to come here and give an honest assessment of his play.

I root for the kid to play well and show progress, but he's #10 overall and the experts that picked him were very sure that they picked an absolute game changer and I'll hold them to their standards as long as he's a Ranger asset.

Old
04-09-2011, 05:18 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
When I mentioned his excessive penalties in one game I was criticized for focusing on one game, then when I bring up facts about his play over the course of half a season some posters called for examples. I welcome anyone who has watched him over time this season to come here and give an honest assessment of his play.

I root for the kid to play well and show progress, but he's #10 overall and the experts that picked him were very sure that they picked an absolute game changer and I'll hold them to their standards as long as he's a Ranger asset.
That's the thing though, you're stat watching a defensive dman, and when he does put up a solid game according to the stat sheets, you either bring up the fact that he took a penalty, or he was playing against a team that wasn't as good as MJ.

There's a solid group of people on here that clearly did not like the McIlrath pick but go out of their way to put the player and the selection down whenever the opportunity arises, and it's quite irritating.
If there is actually someone who's watched him play and has complaints about the way he has played, than I would love to hear them, and I will accept them just as if it was someone complimenting DMac, but all the unjust, baseless criticism needs to stop.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 06:49 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
At least in juniors, McIlrath has been a left handed Beukeboom. A monstrous hitter and dominating fighter. I like Sauer but he's nowhere close to that.
McIlrath appears to be right handed.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
That's the thing though, you're stat watching a defensive dman, and when he does put up a solid game according to the stat sheets, you either bring up the fact that he took a penalty, or he was playing against a team that wasn't as good as MJ.

There's a solid group of people on here that clearly did not like the McIlrath pick but go out of their way to put the player and the selection down whenever the opportunity arises, and it's quite irritating.
If there is actually someone who's watched him play and has complaints about the way he has played, than I would love to hear them, and I will accept them just as if it was someone complimenting DMac, but all the unjust, baseless criticism needs to stop.
Stat watching is numbers, which I hardly brought up in assessing his game, defensive dominance is all I care to see from him at that level, the offense is just bonus. I mention his competition cause that matters and is not part of the stat sheet. If you watch the games its quite apparent that Mcilrath is physically dominant over the smaller junior league players.

But he doesn't always dominate, especially against the leagues tougher competition. Sting said it the other day, he makes bad decisions outside his comfort zone, a zone that might not be there at the next level, next level can match him in all areas physically if he doesn't keep up.