HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

current goalie situation

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2005, 03:01 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
current goalie situation

is anyone else a ltitle worried about the goalie situation? here we have garon, never been a starter, and we have LaBarbera, a backup who's barely even touched the NHL. it's pretty surprisng how much faith we're putting into these AHL goaltenders.

i mean isn't it safer to just pick up a dafoe or something instead of backing up an inexperienced goaltender w/ another even more inexperienced goaltender?

Old
08-03-2005, 03:19 PM
kingsfan25

Definitely a risk. But the Kings have to sacrifice somewhere if they want to shore up their top-6 and D. The more money spent on a back-up, the less they can commit to the other two. Out of the three, I'm most willing to take a gamble on an unproven goalie with potential than a fringe top-sixer.

Old
08-03-2005, 04:57 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Sad thing is Hauser had better #'s then both of them. We should start Hauser.... Ya who knows looking at our team doesnt look like a playoff team anyways we got Demitra but most everyone gone now - we will be good in few years rather we just let youth play take a chance at losing if we do great top end talent next year....

Old
08-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Whawks33

Labs

Gives Labs a chance before you write him off. He did put up incredible numbers in Hartford, and survived the NYR's "development" system that all but killed Blackburn's career.

I think Labs is out to prove the Rangers wrong, and to prove he is a bonafide NHL goalie.

Old
08-04-2005, 12:23 AM
blitzkriegs

I seen Labs NHL performances and despite how bad NYR on most nights, the goals he gave up were NOT due to NYR porous defense at that time.

Labs, odd for his size, gives up goals high and in the corners. Also, gave up several low corner shots as well. Maybe positioning is all he needs, but I was not very impressed.

RIght now, LA's goaltending is suspect. 2 goalies with a combined less than 65 NHL games between them is something of high concern if playoffs are the expected minimum.

Old
08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Chartrand

Garon's and Hauser's respective performances in the AHL mean close to nothing.

Garon will be a solid #1, probably not spectacular but certainly a quality starter. Hauser might end up as someone's backup goalie, same with LaBarbera, which isn't a bad situation for either of them.

Old
08-04-2005, 11:33 PM
MBJets

What about Cechmanic

Old
08-04-2005, 11:41 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets
What about Cechmanic
He UFA

Old
08-04-2005, 11:48 PM
KingsFan7824

They brought Garon in to be the #1. The only way to see if it was worth it is to let him be the #1, and see what happens. At some point, every goaltender is inexperienced. Would it be better if there was a vet as the backup just in case? Maybe. But things can't always be perfect. Sometimes everything can't have a safety net. Just let Garon go out and play. It's just hockey. If he's a #1, he's a #1. If he can't do it, he can't do it.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I think we're going to see who's our future #1 with Garon and Labarbera. Right now we have that 1A and 1B tandum going.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Garon will be our number 1 and he will be a star IMO. Labarbera and Hauser are going to be very good back ups in this league and maybe have a shot at being number 1's but I think Garon is going to dominate. Garon might not have had better numbers then these 2 in the AHL but I think he will step up and claim the spot.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:50 AM
gerhart

Send a message via MSN to gerhart
If Ziggy, Frolov and Cammelleri all return to the Kings, I will have absolutely no problem giving Garon and Labs a try. Garon has shown that he can play in the NHL and AHL, inconsistently albeit, but he can nonetheless play. And, judging by Labs stats, he could very well be ready to make the jump as well. In no way are these two top-tier goaltenders, they may not even be considered 1A or 1B goaltenders by some yet, but I have faith that they can stand their ground in the NHL. Hauser showed some promise in Manchester last season, so I definitley believe in the guy as an emergency starter or backup. It's the new NHL, and I'm liking the new look of the Kings. Build up front and give the future a shot in the back. I really hope it works.... someday.

Old
08-06-2005, 09:25 AM
neelynugs

there should be a few veteran guys floating around for real cheap - even a guy like sean burke would be a decent acquisition. he'd be good working with garon. i can't see the kings going with those two kids, although this is certainly a new world in the NHL these days

Old
08-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Kick

If you listen to the Kevin Gilmore interview from NH Sports radio (LINK ) he makes it pretty clear that LA's plan is to have Garon as #1, LaBarbera as #2 and Hauser as #1 in Manchester. LA seems to be very high on Labs and see him as a #1 NHL goalie in the not to distant future.

Closed Thread