HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Kessel at centre?

Old
04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

vCash: 500
short answer: no.

long answer: hell no.

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:08 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

Kessel at center? I would cringe ( and so would leafs nation)

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:12 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Not really a good idea. More like a desperation move. Maybe if Kessel used his linemates more effectively you could see past the defensive short-comings but he would be a disaster at center/

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Smif

Leafs Nation says NO! Tank Nation says YES!

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
I'd rather Kulemin slide into center, with kessel on his wing.

Put Army with Grabo
Whaaaa look what happens to Leaf fans when we don't have a good number one center, we start throwing everyone into the center position!

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:55 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post

Btw, Burke said he is going for first line center in summer...can we take his word for the moment? If things don't work out, we'll return to this thread; until then, the above video.
Whend he say that?

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Organically grown artichoke centres:

http://www.1stoporganicgardening.com...own-artichoke/
Definition of ORGANIC
archaic : instrumental
a : of, relating to, or arising in a bodily organ b : affecting the structure of the organism
a (1) : of, relating to, or derived from living organisms <organic evolution> (2) : of, relating to, yielding, or involving the use of food produced with the use of feed or fertilizer of plant or animal origin without employment of chemically formulated fertilizers, growth stimulants, antibiotics, or pesticides <organic farming> <organic produce> b (1) : of, relating to, or containing carbon compounds (2) : relating to, being, or dealt with by a branch of chemistry concerned with the carbon compounds of living beings and most other carbon compounds
a : forming an integral element of a whole : fundamental <incidental music rather than organic parts of the action — Francis Fergusson> b : having systematic coordination of parts : organized <an organic whole> c : having the characteristics of an organism : developing in the manner of a living plant or animal <society is organic>
: of, relating to, or constituting the law by which a government or organization exists
— or·gan·i·cal·ly \-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
— or·ga·nic·i·ty \ˌȯr-gə-ˈni-sə-tē\ noun

Hope this helps...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

[QUOTE=niroopg;32188123]

It won't happen.

I'd rather have Bozak play 1C than have Kessel play it.

Kessel has minimal defensive skills. Even if he backchecks extremely hard, he is not hard enough on his stick to get anything productive done.

Centers have to skate pretty much 200 ft every rush. Kessel isn't athletically gifted. Yes, he has speed. But he is too small, doesn't have great cardiovascular ability. The more you make him work to be defensively responsible, the less you will get out of him offensively. The more you make him skate, the less speed he will have on the offensive rush. He isn't Kulemin.

Key characteristics of a center: Defensively responsible. Strong on puck. Can maintain possession. Athletically above average.

Does Ribeiro possess these qualities in your opinion? Spezza?

Kessel has a very active stick, excellent vision, and the ability to think the game at a high level. He can exploit holes and create seams with his puckhandling abilities better than most. We complain that he's one-dimensional yet show enormous resistance to any notion of removing him from his comfort zone. He's not the ideal 1C, but nobody rated Grabo as a top 6 centre last year either. He reinvented himself because he HAD to. When Kessel was challenged to become more than a sniper, he started battling, showing a better 2nd effort, and played a 200-foot game. He also went on a tear as a result. If a top line of Parise-Kessel-Lupul was an option, and it didnt bankrupt the future, I would ABSOLUTELY make the move to put Kessel in the 1-hole. By the time Loops' contract expires, Colborne will be either 1C or 2C and some of the other youngsters produced ORGANICALLY (sorry to those who struggle with the use of the word in this context) will be ready to step up.

Old
04-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Whend he say that?
1. Bill watter show on AM640 March 28th.
2. Leafs fan blog on Toronto Star: Read today's blog, author posts his interview with Burke.

I am pretty sure he has said on more occassions, you just missed all.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
KlattNazty

[QUOTE=Durkin67;32190334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niroopg View Post

It won't happen.

Kessel has minimal defensive skills. Even if he backchecks extremely hard, he is not hard enough on his stick to get anything productive done.

Centers have to skate pretty much 200 ft every rush. Kessel isn't athletically gifted. Yes, he has speed. But he is too small, doesn't have great cardiovascular ability. The more you make him work to be defensively responsible, the less you will get out of him offensively. The more you make him skate, the less speed he will have on the offensive rush. He isn't Kulemin.

Key characteristics of a center: Defensively responsible. Strong on puck. Can maintain possession. Athletically above average.

Does Ribeiro possess these qualities in your opinion? Spezza?

Kessel has a very active stick, excellent vision, and the ability to think the game at a high level. He can exploit holes and create seams with his puckhandling abilities better than most. We complain that he's one-dimensional yet show enormous resistance to any notion of removing him from his comfort zone. He's not the ideal 1C, but nobody rated Grabo as a top 6 centre last year either. He reinvented himself because he HAD to. When Kessel was challenged to become more than a sniper, he started battling, showing a better 2nd effort, and played a 200-foot game. He also went on a tear as a result. If a top line of Parise-Kessel-Lupul was an option, and it didnt bankrupt the future, I would ABSOLUTELY make the move to put Kessel in the 1-hole. By the time Loops' contract expires, Colborne will be either 1C or 2C and some of the other youngsters produced ORGANICALLY (sorry to those who struggle with the use of the word in this context) will be ready to step up.
Lol everyone is acting like its the worst thing ever moving forward. I only said if he cant get a top c, and then a good deal for a winger becomes available. this is what im saying, it could work, and most likely would work better than doing nothing and only running lupul - bozak - kessel

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
redbull
Expect more

Take everything Kessel does well, and KILL it.

Take all of Kessel's weaknesses and AMPLIFY THEM.

That's what happens if he plays Centre.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Take everything Kessel does well, and KILL it.

Take all of Kessel's weaknesses and AMPLIFY THEM.

That's what happens if he plays Centre.
Easy claim to make, but can you break that rationale down for me?

Old
04-07-2011, 11:11 PM
showtime8

I thought about this before since the only real options in free agency were Brad Richards and Tim Connolly.

I'm not 100% against this issue, but I think that he best serves as a winger. The down side of him playing centre would be, defensively he would have to improve. You wouldn't see him burst down the wings and snap a shot. He would have to play catch up in each play if he's playing the 2 way hockey as a centreman does.

The only benefit that I can really see of him playing centre is the free reign that he would have throughout the ice.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:28 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Offensively, Kessel's a sniper. He's most effective and dangerous when there's a passer, defensively responsible, playing the middle (ideally, left hand shot). Not unlike Bure, his explosive speed is most dangerous on the rush, outside his own zone. He's got tremendous speed and stickhandling skills, he can generate offense off the rush as well as anyone in hockey. Adding the responsibility a centre faces would eliminate him as a threat on the rush.

Without the puck, in his own zone (when he shows up) Kessel's just brutal. Positionally weak, he doesn't anticipate the play, doesn't win puck battles, doesn't have the smarts to maintain body position and would get eaten alive against other top centres in the conference.

Why have your best player put in a position to struggle defensively and take away his productivity on offense?

You put Kessel with a good passing centreman who can play without the puck and he becomes far more dangerous. The best example I can think of is Grabner. The minute he started playing with Frans Nielsen he became a 40 goal scorer. He gets 3-4 breakaways a game, he and Nielsen have 13 shorthanded goals among them, Grabner has zero responsibility in his own zone but the minute Nielsen has the puck, Grabner takes off like a bullet and is unstoppable. Kessel's a better player than Grabner, but they play a very similar game.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
jimmycarter

only if the other winger is parise.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Russell Oliver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
It is not the ideal position for him, but what happens this summer if we cannot acquire a bonafide 1C, but a deal for a big winger is available? I would not balk at the idea of Kessel moving back to centre and having the winger takes his place. We still keep the chemistry with Lupul, and since Lupul's arrival, I think we have seen Kessel's playmaking ability a bit more evident.

I would not be shocked if this happened, and it might be a good way to motivate to work harder in his own end of the ice.

Discuss!
Centre's have to go to area's of the ice that Phil doesn't want to go and won't go, and back checking is what Phil thinks of while watching a Horror Movie.

Russell Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niroopg View Post

It won't happen.

Kessel has none of those skills. By putting him in center, you will take his energy, take his speed, run him down, take away his offensive abilities.
Ummm....did you happen to catch any games this year??

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

The Phil Kessel to Center experiment officially died sometime in Dec, Phil is a much better winger than Center. What he needs to do is learn how to get the puck out on the boards on the shoot around. This is his biggest weakness, after the allstar break his backchecking has improved 100%, he actually has broken up many chances with his speed and a change in attitude in playing a 200ft game. If I were the Leafs, I would have him work with Colby Armstrong on how to get the puck out on the shoot around, Colby is one of the best at this talent and it seems so logical to have him work with Phil that I would be shocked why no one has suggested it yet. At the moment Phil just flips the puck up or deflects the puck out of the zone, this is another small thing that people don't notice that makes players valuable. Teams that are able to do this skill sucessfully are so much more better in the end.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:48 PM
notbadyou81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
only if the other winger is parise.
totally agree on that one

kessel is a great passer as you probably all have realized by now but sometimes he hangs on to the puck too long to try and make the perfect play but if he gets that out of his game he would be a deadly center who can pass and snipe.

notbadyou81 is offline   Reply With Quote