HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Same old Sabres

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Kozak72

vCash: 500
They currently suck, but maybe the players meeting after the game will wake those jokers up. As for the talk about not attending games, I hope you guys are not serious.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:29 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
Five shots after one period!?
You mean five shots after TWO PERIODS. I get sick to my stomach every time I think of that.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:58 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Gaborik anyone?

I think it's time to trade for Marian Gaborik.I know this would never happen because he supposedly wants 6.5 million a year, and certaintly Golisano wouldn't give it to him, unless we take out 6.5 million in our budget.We need someone to add offense and that's the best yet most unrealistic option.Think Zhitnik,Biron,Roy,Kotalik and a 2nd is enough?

I can dream can't I?

Old
10-12-2003, 06:20 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

i wishing we could have gotten marchant more and more each game now...

Old
10-12-2003, 08:08 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
i wishing we could have gotten marchant more and more each game now...
Yeah, Marchant would solve ALL of our problems......You people, its only TWO GAMES! Buffalo is REBUILDING. This is a YOUNG team, they are going to struggle to put forth a consistent effort. Buffalo's biggest problem is that there just aren't any veterans on this team to show the young players how to play the game at the NHL level. Marchant is a great 3rd line center and can fill in for the 2nd line center when there are injuries, but he wouldn't have been the answer.

Old
10-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Takeo

Hey, I remember being so up after two games last year...with those 5-1 and 5-0 victories over the Isles and Habs...then the season tanked. Maybe it'll be the exact opposite this year??? Maybe not.

Old
10-12-2003, 04:25 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

marchant is a big powerforward, in case you didnt notice, we dont have one. I like drury alot but we need a powerforward to knock people around and start a forecheck. Yes its only the first 2 games but we as fans deserved a better effort so dont try sticking up for this team for the 2 efforts theyput forth. Until they show up they deserve to be berated by the media and we as fans.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:03 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
marchant is a big powerforward, in case you didnt notice, we dont have one. I like drury alot but we need a powerforward to knock people around and start a forecheck. Yes its only the first 2 games but we as fans deserved a better effort so dont try sticking up for this team for the 2 efforts theyput forth. Until they show up they deserve to be berated by the media and we as fans.
You're an idiot. Marchant is 5'10"/178. He wouldn't even be a power forward in high school hockey.

Marchant is basically a Curtis Brown type player with some good finish skills and alot more heart.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:41 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
You're an idiot. Marchant is 5'10"/178. He wouldn't even be a power forward in high school hockey.

Marchant is basically a Curtis Brown type player with some good finish skills and alot more heart.

yeah well ya know what he plays with much more heart than your boyfriends pyatt and connolly ever will, get off thier ****

Old
10-12-2003, 05:47 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:

"A smallish, but gritty playmaking center, Marchant has speed to burn, especially going to the outside of a defender. has no fear in the face of larger opponents and will go in areas others his size fear to tread." from nhl.com

how can you possibly compare him to brown you "idiot." He maybe small but he strong and feisty and plays like a bull and you'd be an even bigger fool to tell me you wouldnt want him on our team.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Kozak72

Quote:
Would take Drury over Marchant any day.

Old
10-13-2003, 03:48 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
"A smallish, but gritty playmaking center, Marchant has speed to burn, especially going to the outside of a defender. has no fear in the face of larger opponents and will go in areas others his size fear to tread." from nhl.com

how can you possibly compare him to brown you "idiot." He maybe small but he strong and feisty and plays like a bull and you'd be an even bigger fool to tell me you wouldnt want him on our team.
Sorry, but Marchant doesn't play "like a bull".

He's about as tough as guys like Drury and Briere who's hearts are much bigger than their bodies. And that doesn't stop them from getting pushed around a lot.

And how can you possibly expect your creditibility to not take a hit when you call a guy the size of Drury and Briere a "big powerforward"?

Old
10-13-2003, 03:51 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozak72
Would take Drury over Marchant any day.
Talent-wise, absolutely.

The only question I have is will Drury be worth the added money and the players that the Sabres gave up to acquire him?

The one big advantage that Marchant holds over Drury is that he would have cost less moneywise and would have cost nothing player wise to acquire.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:02 AM
TheGreatOne99

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatOne99 Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatOne99
Quote:
eSabre - that avatar is absolutely priceless.

Was anyone else reminded of last year's game against St. Louis? I think they only lost 4-0, but they were outplayed so badly, I thought it was the worst game I'd ever witnessed. Until tonight.
Wow, you read my mind, I was about to post that, then I decided to read through the thread. The Sabres lost almost every battle for the puck, showing no puck support whatsoever. On the plus side, i though Mckee showed a few flashes of the shutdown guy he can be.

Old
10-13-2003, 07:45 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Sorry, but Marchant doesn't play "like a bull".

He's about as tough as guys like Drury and Briere who's hearts are much bigger than their bodies. And that doesn't stop them from getting pushed around a lot.

And how can you possibly expect your creditibility to not take a hit when you call a guy the size of Drury and Briere a "big powerforward"?
I guess gritty is what I meant, however I didnt expect to be called names over a simple mistake, as for marchant maybe its only the games he plays against buffalo but I always see him hitting people and finishing checks and scoring, so when he plays Buffalo he sure as hell does play like a bull out there I recall Mike Robatille saying how strong he is on the puck playing like a 6'4'' guy instead of what he really is.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:08 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Hopefully this will put an end to the unrealistic, overly-optimistic posts. The Sabres are a marginal team stocked with talented, but inconsistant players from top to bottom. If they play up to their abilities, it will still take a bit of luck to make the playoffs. I was against re-signing Ruff and it'll be a bright day when they let him go.
Amen.

I can't believe they signed him again. I have been hoping for more than two years that they let him go.

I also agree there is marginal talent but I think that talent can do better than that! Last season was an incredibly low point. You just don't re-hire a coach after numerous lifeless performances the previous year.

I used to trust Regier but he's also guilty, IMO. I wonder if there will be moves soon...

Old
10-13-2003, 09:34 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Hopefully this will put an end to the unrealistic, overly-optimistic posts. The Sabres are a marginal team stocked with talented, but inconsistant players from top to bottom. If they play up to their abilities, it will still take a bit of luck to make the playoffs. I was against re-signing Ruff and it'll be a bright day when they let him go.
Make up your mind.

If the Sabres are a marginal team that will take a bit of luck to make the playoffs, how can you blame Ruff?

Old
10-13-2003, 09:38 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I guess gritty is what I meant, however I didnt expect to be called names over a simple mistake, as for marchant maybe its only the games he plays against buffalo but I always see him hitting people and finishing checks and scoring, so when he plays Buffalo he sure as hell does play like a bull out there I recall Mike Robatille saying how strong he is on the puck playing like a 6'4'' guy instead of what he really is.
Marchant plays hard, but he doesn't have the bulk to hit hard.

And he wouldn't make a huge difference with this team, especially given the fact that he wanted a more offensive role and didn't want to play a 3rd line role like he has in the past.

Personally, I don't see Marchant being all that effective as a top 2 line guy. And from what little I've seen of him in Columbus, I haven't changed that opinion.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:49 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:

I agree, that Marchant is better than Brown. However, he is better at more than twice the price, and i already think Brown is overpaid. I think Drury is more ideally suited to be a 2nd line center, and Marchant, on a contending team, would be an ideal 3rd line center. However, considering the makeup of this teams forwards, I think Buffalo would be BEST suiting with a HUGE 3rd line center who can hit and notch 15-20 goals, 40 pts, ala Eric Belanger in LA. I think Paul Gaustaud could be that for hte Sabres down the line.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Make up your mind.

If the Sabres are a marginal team that will take a bit of luck to make the playoffs, how can you blame Ruff?
Marginal teams that put out a consistant effort and play a disciplined style make the playoffs every year. The onus is on the coaches get the player to perform and execute. They also need a bit of luck; some player or player(s) overachieve or some other team(s) falter. I won't have any problem with Ruff if he can get this team to contend for a playoff spot which doesn't necessarily mean they have to make the playoffs. Comprende?

Old
10-14-2003, 04:02 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

No, I don't comprende. If marginal teams that put out a consistent effort make the playoffs every year, they don't need luck. If they don't need luck, then blame Ruff. However, you are still basing the Sabres success on the luck of another team or two faltering or players overachieving, how can you blame Ruff - particularly when you indicate that getting the player to perform and execute - to overachieve even, is Ruff's fault. Just be consistent. Either the roster is a playoff team or it's not. If so, then blame Ruff. If not, then blame Regier.

And wait for a third game.

Closed Thread