HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Awesome Article

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2005, 07:05 PM
DaveMatthew

vCash: 500
Awesome Article

I think every Sens fan who is whining and complaining about Muckler should read this article:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...05_141759_2424

Old
08-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
I think every Sens fan who is whining and complaining about Muckler should read this article:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...05_141759_2424
He makes solid points.

He also used to work for the Sens.

That article would carry more weight if he wasn't a former Sens employee. Nonetheless, I generally agree with him.

Old
08-05-2005, 07:39 PM
bert

Thats fine but he still hasnt signed one RFA, or one rookie. He has delt away or not resigned three top 9 forwards. He has replaced them with no one. Not rookies, no trades and no signings. Thats why sens fans are impatient. I dont want them to go blow a large chunk of payrole on a UFA, but I do want to see some sort of movement on players that are already in the system.

Chris Clark for a conditional draft pick would have been a great trade btw.
McCarthy and Nieminen wouldnt have been bad either.

Martin Gelinas for less than a million would have been even better.

Old
08-05-2005, 09:28 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
Thats fine but he still hasnt signed one RFA, or one rookie. He has delt away or not resigned three top 9 forwards. He has replaced them with no one. Not rookies, no trades and no signings. Thats why sens fans are impatient. I dont want them to go blow a large chunk of payrole on a UFA, but I do want to see some sort of movement on players that are already in the system.

Chris Clark for a conditional draft pick would have been a great trade btw.
McCarthy and Nieminen wouldnt have been bad either.

Yea, but all these players you are naming went for almost $2million. There was nothing we could do about it.

And as for the restricted free agents, Muckler is in no rush to sign them. Its only been 5 days since he gave them their QO, settle down a little... Very few RFA's have been signed so far, the only one I can think of right now is Jarome Iginla.

Three top9 forwards?!?! who are you talking about? All I know of is Todd White.

Old
08-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Lexicon Devil

White, Bonk and Bondra.

Mendes thinks that the Islanders have improved?

Old
08-05-2005, 09:58 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
As far as I know, Gelinas is still available. I'd love for him to sign here. He'd be a great addition.

Old
08-05-2005, 09:58 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Bonk and Bondra were already gone last year.

Muckler was ready to go into the season with the roster we have right now, plus White, who will probably be replaced by Kaigorodov.

And I wouldnt be surprised if we sign Bondra again to a ~$1M deal.

But first we have to take care of our RFA's, and we need to take our time so we can sign them as cheap as possible to actually have the cap room to hunt UFA's. If we rush to sign our RFA's as fast as possible to get UFA's, we might not get the best deals out of our RFA's, meaning we wont have enough cap room to get UFA's. Dont worry, there will still be plenty of players available in a month, once were done with our RFA's.

Old
08-05-2005, 10:00 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
As far as I know, Gelinas is still available. I'd love for him to sign here. He'd be a great addition.
Nope... He signed in Florida a few days ago, $1M per year.

Old
08-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Lexicon Devil

The point was that we have lost three of our top-9 forwards since last season (2003-2004). This is true.

Old
08-05-2005, 10:07 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
The point was that we have lost three of our top-9 forwards since last season (2003-2004). This is true.
Bondra wasn't here the whole year so I wouldn't count him. White's last year here was rough. He struggled and couldn't stay healthy. Losing Bonk will hurt a little, but I'm more than confident that guys can step up and take over.

You have to look at Spezza's improvement, and also the fact that Vermette could step into the top 9 and make a splash. This team is no worse off then they were last year up front.

Old
08-05-2005, 11:34 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Yep, were actually in a very good condition, compared to other teams.

Its looks like teams are stacking up on players, but dont forget, these players had to come from somewhere. Every time someone signs with a team, it means someone else lost him.

All the good teams are losing their players to the crappy teams, except for us. We should be very happy. And after the RFA's are signed, we may even have a little UFA wiggle room.

I swear people ***** at the stupidest things sometimes...

Old
08-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Air

I blame my paranoia on the lockout. Those changes were more than last season, they were an entire year ago. I can't even remember what I did a week ago.

Old
08-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
You have to look at Spezza's improvement, and also the fact that Vermette could step into the top 9 and make a splash. This team is no worse off then they were last year up front.
Yes, I agree, I was just clarifying what was meant.

We seem to lose supporting players every year, and never have problems finding someone to replace their production. Hopefully Spezza & Fisher turn out to be an even better 1-2 combination than Bonk-White, in which case we've actually upgraded at centre.

Old
08-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Alfie#11

Quote:

We seem to lose supporting players every year, and never have problems finding someone to replace their production. Hopefully Spezza & Fisher turn out to be an even better 1-2 combination than Bonk-White, in which case we've actually upgraded at centre.
So true. We lost McEachern without losing a beat.

We can also think back to Prospal - sad when he started with the Sens, good for a year with Yashin gone and then ditched the year after with no great loss to the team.

Ice time is what it's all about. After his performance last seaon, it's hard not to imagine getting 20 better minutes from Spezza than the 20 minutes we got from Bonk.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:26 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:

The Bonk-White combination may have been one of the worst top 2 centre combinations in the conference.

If we don't improve at the position with Spezza and Smolinski/Fisher or whoever, it's a very sad state of affairs.

Old
08-06-2005, 12:56 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin
Yea, but all these players you are naming went for almost $2million. There was nothing we could do about it.

And as for the restricted free agents, Muckler is in no rush to sign them. Its only been 5 days since he gave them their QO, settle down a little... Very few RFA's have been signed so far, the only one I can think of right now is Jarome Iginla.

Three top9 forwards?!?! who are you talking about? All I know of is Todd White.

Actually every one of those players went for under a million. And Lexicon was right Bonk, White and Bondra. Just because he did his job last year doesnt mean he doesnt have to do it right now.

To clarify for everyone I dont want to see them go signing big expensive free agents. I just want him to start getting some RFA contracts done trade or sign for a gritty top 3 line player like the guys I brought up earlier in the thread.

I know that Spezza is going to come in and play top minutes. I am not unaware but what I am saying is he has missed out on some good moves and he has done nothing that we know of yet.

Old
08-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
...... I just want him to start getting some RFA contracts done trade or sign for a gritty top 3 line player like the guys I brought up earlier in the thread. ....
And what makes you think he isn't trying to do just that? I don't think Muckler is sitting by the beach at his cottage sipping beers right now!

If a player does not want to sign and wants to wait to see if he might get a better deal from arbitration then he won't sign. If the same terms are as the last CBA then UFA contracts cannot be used as comparisons. And since hardly any RFA 's have been signed by anybody, the comparison market is thin. So I imagine agents are waiting for players to sign to see what value they may be able to get for their clients. Either way, the players will get signed prior to the start of the season.

Old
08-06-2005, 01:44 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
I don't think Muckler is sitting by the beach at his cottage sipping beers right now!
Nope, he's hanging out at BBQ's with pjbth.

Closed Thread