HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Today could be Gaborik's last game as a Ranger

Old
04-09-2011, 01:00 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Although I agree with you for the most part. Gaborik did fine not having a center last year.
It was his first year in the conference. Teams were still adjusting. Even last year, after about 2/3 of the season, it became increasingly evident that teams were marking Gaborik much tighter than they had at the start of the year. This continued all year. Gaborik is not Ovechkin or Kovalchuk. He cannot carry the puck against tight, physical defense. Watch the games from the first half of last season. He had much more time and space to operate with.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It was his first year in the conference. Teams were still adjusting. Even last year, after about 2/3 of the season, it became increasingly evident that teams were marking Gaborik much tighter than they had at the start of the year. This continued all year. Gaborik is not Ovechkin or Kovalchuk. He cannot carry the puck against tight, physical defense. Watch the games from the first half of last season. He had much more time and space to operate with.
Which is part of the reason I didn't want him in the first place he is a pure sniper with speed. Doesn't have the slickest of hands or the size like Jagr had. Can only do so much on his own.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Rangers44*

I would probably do Gaborik and Chrisensen for Iginla.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Devil's advocate:

How productive and how successful Gaborik will be is directly correlated to how healthy he his. The question then is: "Is there such a thing as a healthy Gaborik at this point in his career?"
This is very true. If Gaborik can't remain healthy and the Rangers know this, then they will get what they can, while they can.

What I don't understand is why some people say "No Gaborik, No Richards"

How are the two even related?

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
I would probably do Gaborik and Chrisensen for Iginla.
I Iginla really the answer? I mean he's nearly 35. He's a great player, but how many years can we expect from the guy?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Which is part of the reason I didn't want him in the first place he is a pure sniper with speed. Doesn't have the slickest of hands or the size like Jagr had. Can only do so much on his own.
Well, then we are in full agreement. I was completely against signing Gaborik, especially when the money could have been used a year later to sign Kovalchuk, who badly wanted to play here. You know, the guy that 75% of this board was laughing at a few months ago. Laughing at the Devils and his contract. The same guy that has 2 goals this afternoon. The guy who, unlike Gaborik, can carry the puck, can create offense for himself, can power past tough defenders.

But now that Gaborik is here, why blame him for the fact that the team fails to put him in a position to succeed, just like they've failed to put Drury in positions to succeed throughout his time here?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
As I've been saying all season:

Sure, trade Gabby - IF you get a package that includes a potential gamebreaking forward prospect in the deal (e.g. Schenn, Seguin). In that case, absolutely. But to move him just to move him, because "that bum didn't show up for the last 9 games" would be absolute terrible asset management and would only perpetuate the team's cycle of mediocrity.

The reason this team is where it is has nothing to do with lack of effort or strength or checking. We have those things in spades. Yes, Gabby isn't the prototypical player to fit the system we played this year - but adding another player who plays that way wouldn't have made the difference unless he was one of the few who play that way AND scores tons of goals (maybe Perry?).

This team's problem is lack of high-end SCORING TALENT. I know half the posters on this board think that if you have 18 guys who have more heart and bring more effort (and how could I forget more fighting) than the other team, somehow at the end of 60 minutes you will magically have more points on the board - but in reality, you need TALENT to win games. Guys who can make defenders miss; who can pass through traffic; who can blow around defenders or deke them out of their skates; who can rip the puck past the goalie.

So, you move Gabby for parts, replace him with a Laich or a Fleishman or a Cole (who's going to sign for his career in Carolina anyway), do you make the playoffs? Maaaybe. Do you have a substantially better team? No way. And you're now a full THREE first liners away from a Cup contending team

And to sum it all up, consider this: did John "Safe is Death" Tortorella institute the style of play on the current team out of choice... or because he didn't have nearly enough horses to play his preferred style? A good coach adjusts his tactics to fit the players he has - particularly when he doesn't have much talent. But when that happens, adding more of the same hard-working, but untalented players to fit that compensating style is compounding the problem, not solving it.
I have a genuine feeling he was not hurt all year and has just become a disinterested guy. To start his first season here he actually played good D, even got PK time if I remember right. he was engaged in all facets of the game. Something has changed and if this is the way Gabs will be the rest of his time here free up the cap space and get a Byfuglein (I think i mispelled) plus a good prospect or pick. A byf on this team would be much better than gabs was this year and maybe won't score 80 pts but will be better than what we had last year too imo. A straight up would be asinine but to grab a GOOD prospect or a pick plus freed cap space for the next years or both I'm honestly fine with. We all feel "If Gabs can play like the first half of last season (It's been about a season and a half of bad Gabs)" but maybe he quite simply can't play like that anymore or won't with any consistency against top teams?

Gimme another Dubs or Cally over what Gabs has been since last all star break anyday.

Gimme what gabs was his 1st half season here anyday but Gabs might not be Gabs anymore.

Anyway my feeling is look to get something GOOD but he's worth holding onto if you can't and combining him with a BR or something could be huge.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I Iginla really the answer? I mean he's nearly 35. He's a great player, but how many years can we expect from the guy?
Gaborik is signed for 3 more seasons, and he will not be re-signed.

Iginla would be a good stopgap for about 2 maybe 3 seasons. He would also bring more leadership than Gaborik.

Old
04-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
This is very true. If Gaborik can't remain healthy and the Rangers know this, then they will get what they can, while they can.

What I don't understand is why some people say "No Gaborik, No Richards"

How are the two even related?
high risk due to very high salary cap?

Old
04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
This is why I stopped talking on this site. I feel like most Rangers fans are drama queens and are trolls among themselves. Either that, or Rangers fans are bi-polar.

gaborik will not be off this team next year. Even with gaborik having his worst season ever (by most fans), he still = to what Cally's best season has been so far. Everyone talks about how great Cally is.

gaborik - 61 gp - 22 goals - 25 assists - 47 points - -7 - 19:54 ATOI
Cally - 60 gp - 23 goals - 25 assists - 48 points - +6 - 18:03 ATOI

Then people will talk about his contract. He's producing 100 times more than Drury or Redden and people should be focusing on contracts with them two first.

gaborik is also a ppg player since wearing a Rangers jersey. We just don't have the supporting and blame gaborik for not playing over his head like how Jagr did here.

gaborik - 137 games - 64 goals - 69 assists - 133 points

I feel embarrassed as a Rangers fan that people are so narrow minded and throw players under the bus when they don't put up god-like stats.

The facts are that this team isn't very good, they have a lot of hard working players that don't have amazing talent.

It sucks that we might miss the playoffs again by 1 game but gaborik is not at fault. Look at how many times the Rangers as a team played down to their competition and blew it. You think gaborik is at fault when the team loses to OTT, or NYI 6-0 in the stretch run???
There's a difference between throwing guys under a bus and using our eyes to see a steep decline that may not be injury driven and may continue and get worse as he gets older and slower and weaker (shot wise). It's beena season and a half and there's a helluva lot more to hockey than those stats you put up. Pts? If a guy like gabs has = pts to CAlly there's something wrong with that. Also Cally missed a large portion of this season. SO maybe it's injury, maybe it's more. Point is it';s been a long time since Gabs was the gabs we first saw here and some people are just being analytical about it while yes others are perhaps in too panicky mode. Sorry that we want to talk about hockey and the possilbe decline of what was our best forward for a short time.

Old
04-09-2011, 01:46 PM
JimmyStart*

Also one last thing watching McD play you never know when an organization can make a guy like that available prospect wise. A team like LA may be ripe for the picking thought they have been loyal to their system when people have been saying they should make trades for what seems like forever now. Cap has to fit too of course and contracts have to go both ways most likely but we've got plenty of fodder.

Old
04-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Dont trade Gab. Give him a healthy season and a decent playmaker and we might have something. If Slats was smart (which he isn't) he'd pick up Statsny over Richards.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:13 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
How can you possibly expect Marian Gaborik to score goals when there is NO ONE on the team to pass him the puck? How can you expect a player who should only be touching the puck right before he has to shoot it to be successful when everytime he's on the ice, he's the one that has to carry it into the offensive zone?

This is rudimentary, elementary and fundamental COMMON SENSE! This is the same thing that happened with Chris Drury. He shouldn't have been acquired in the first place, but it's not his fault this team doesn't put him in the right position.
We expect it because he did it in Minn and the first half here too. Never with any consistency which is what we are seeing here and why so many don't like the player. System doesnt explain his whole career. Desire and lack of interest is a more likely explanation. Drury wasn't put into the right position because he didn't put himself there. Idk why you continue to insult Drury by insisting he couldn't convince Torts to put him in "better position" by playing well when everyone else on this team has done that at one point or another. It implies he's been THAT bad. (which he has been)

Old
04-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Ail
k.

Gaborik gets a pass this year. There are bigger fish to fry.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:22 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
What about last year then? He was a one man wrecking crew for the Rangers on most of the nights. 86 points...

One weaker season later, apparently he's a bum...

Such knee jerk reactions.
I know its incredible. I cant wait till next year when he scores 80+ again and suddenly everyone will jump on his bandwagon. People have to learn more patience. Im getting sick of this. People were complaining about stepan after the first 10 games. He was a freaking rookie and people had to criticize him! unbelievable. Ranger fans need a reality check. THis is why i dont frequent the boards anymore because of stupidity like this.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:26 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Gaborik has had a bad year. No question. It comes one year after a very good first season in New York.

When players have an off year, several things come into play. Is he hurt? Possibly. Has he crossed wires with the coach? Possibly. Does he fit the future style of the team? Probably not. Will someone trade significant assets for a true number one winger coming off a bad season? If he healthy, definitely. Look at the free agent market this year. There's Richards, and, and...

Good managers know you couldn't trade for Gaborik after a season like last year. There will be plenty of interest if the Rangers make him available and he is healthy. and Sather would be crazy not to listen.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Eyes View Post
No Gaborik, No Richards and we have a lean mean cap friendly machine.

Sure you guys will complain about having no first liners but paying top dollar for a first liner is only wise if its the right first liner. Gaborik is not. Richards is a high likelihood of falling in the same category (price, age, style of play).

Thank you!

If we could trade Gabby for another version of Stepan and Kreider, I would be all over it. Get me one good young NHLer and one top prospect, and it's a deal!

Gaborik's career peak will end before 80% of the roster hits its peak. Again, please don't compare him to Lundqvist. Goalies begin later and end later. Goalies don't get hit. Goalies are still going solid in the second half of their 30s, whereas skaters are done by that point.

Last edited by Beacon: 04-09-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:46 PM
MaximusT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Here it is: Gabby, Anisimov / pick for Iginla.

iginla is 34 and Calgary will have to consider his remaining value or the chance of getting some value for him
are you being serious?

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
One bad season doesn't define a player. I want to hear if Gaby has been injured or not. And even if he has, I'm not ready to give up on him.
I agree with you, but it did for Gomez... Just saying, he had a good first season point wise, second season was down a bit and that was the end of his new york career.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:32 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Gaborik has had a bad year. No question. It comes one year after a very good first season in New York.

When players have an off year, several things come into play. Is he hurt? Possibly. Has he crossed wires with the coach? Possibly. Does he fit the future style of the team? Probably not. Will someone trade significant assets for a true number one winger coming off a bad season? If he healthy, definitely. Look at the free agent market this year. There's Richards, and, and...

Good managers know you couldn't trade for Gaborik after a season like last year. There will be plenty of interest if the Rangers make him available and he is healthy. and Sather would be crazy not to listen.
Exactly...Sather will listen to offers. If a team is willing to overpay, then Sather will make a deal. If not, Gaborik stays a Ranger.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:40 PM
XLJ

I hope Sather isn't thinking to trade Gaborik to clear up cap room for Richards. If you want improve this team bring in Richards to play with Gaborik. I know he struggled this year but Gaborik is a great goal scorer, he needs a playmaker. IMO a first line of Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik would be great and one of the better lines we've had in a long time.

Buyout Drury, dont resign an aging Prospal, Fedotenko, trade christensen, Send Boogaard to hartford. Their is plenty of garbage on this roster that you can get rid of to gain cap space.

Last edited by XLJ: 04-09-2011 at 06:50 PM.
XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:40 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

If theres any player I'd bet on bouncing back, its Gaborik.

And to people saying that a majority of his goals only came in a few games, while that true, how many players can hang 3 or 4 in a game, regardless of the competition? Nobody else on this team thats for sure.

Let him get healthy, get him Brad Richard, and I personally think Gaborik will have another great season next year, and everyone on these boards will do the typical "OH I KNEW HE'D BOUNCE BACK! YOU GUYS WERE CRAZY FOR WANTING TO TRADE HIM!!!"

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
gabby will bounce back. if we trade him this team will quite possibly be the least talented team in the NHL next season.

keep him, pair him with Richards.

We won't be the least talented team in the NHL, not by a long shot. And even if we will, not a problem because we won't be winning the Stanley Cup in 2011-12, with or without Gabby, with or without Brad.

I want a good young player and a blue chip prospect. I don't if he plays well or not next year. I am gearing up for 2013-14, maybe 2012-13 at the earliest. That's when our youth will mature.

Until then, I don't care.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:49 PM
mcsauer2738

Gaborik Kreider Girardi to columbus for rick nash.

Then sign Brad Richards

What does columbus think of this offer?
What do the rangers think of this offer?

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:57 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Gaborik Kreider Girardi to columbus for rick nash.

Then sign Brad Richards

What does columbus think of this offer?
What do the rangers think of this offer?
I wouldn't if i was columbus. Kreider is not nearly a good enough prospect. Girardi is solid but not nearly worth it and Gabs cap hit and recent play makes him meh. last year this looks a lot better b/c gabs was at an elite level.But if he's at that level why would we trade him? Trading Gabs would be near impossible for sure and you won't get an elite guy for him