HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Talk V2.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2011, 11:32 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
That would be great. Definitely another powerforward like Patches would be awesome to really start adding to the young core of the team.
A friend of mine who follows draft stuff closely told me he has the hockey sense of a brick.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:29 AM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
A friend of mine who follows draft stuff closely told me he has the hockey sense of a brick.
He remind me Dustin Penner. Big but not mean. Sometimes looks lost (lazy, lack of hockey sense or just bad days ?). He isn't in my top-3 (Mika Zibanejad, Mark McNeill and Tyler Biggs).

Old
04-06-2011, 05:25 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
He remind me Dustin Penner. Big but not mean. Sometimes looks lost (lazy, lack of hockey sense or just bad days ?). He isn't in my top-3 (Mika Zibanejad, Mark McNeill and Tyler Biggs).
Yikes I'd stay away then, Especially if hes a dustin Penner clone, Do not Want! I want a fluid skater that is heavy on the puck. Doesn't have to be mean but I want a guy that can dominate down low and skate.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:04 PM
zaluty

I would look at Matt Puempel, he certainly is falling but he is big and scores. If he had played the whole year we would not have a shot at him but maybe now we do.

Old
04-06-2011, 05:19 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Matt Puempel I've heard is comparable to a Jeff Carter type

Old
04-06-2011, 05:24 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
I would look at Matt Puempel, he certainly is falling but he is big and scores. If he had played the whole year we would not have a shot at him but maybe now we do.
He's listed at 6'0 190lbs. Not big but not small either. It's also difficult to get a read on him too. His stats did not improve from the year previous, but he was on an awful team.

I don't know about the Carter comparison, but I have heard Cammalleri. Just a kid that gets in open spots and can snipe.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:38 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I think Puempel is over-hyped.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Mathletic

I'm thinking more of Grachev as a comparison for Saad

Old
04-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Scotianhab

So if we don't sign any free agent NCAA goaltenders for the system, which round do we draft one in? I'm guessing our 3rd or 4th rounder will be a goaltending prospect. If we do not sign any free agent then we definitely need to draft one this year as our system could use 1 or 2.

Old
04-08-2011, 12:46 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
So if we don't sign any free agent NCAA goaltenders for the system, which round do we draft one in? I'm guessing our 3rd or 4th rounder will be a goaltending prospect. If we do not sign any free agent then we definitely need to draft one this year as our system could use 1 or 2.
Habs should draft Samu Perhonen. Heard good things about him, some say he could be the best goaltender out of the draft, but he gets no media attention

Old
04-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Habs should draft Samu Perhonen. Heard good things about him, some say he could be the best goaltender out of the draft, but he gets no media attention
I dunno about using a draft pick to go after a Finnish tier 2 goalie. If you're looking at that league, and you want a goalie that might be ready for Hamilton sooner than a draft aged kid, look at Frans Tuohimaa. With rumours of Jan Lasak moving back to Slovakia, it looks like Tuohimaa might get a few games in with Jokerit's big club next year. He's already 19, has decent size, led the Jr.A league in SV% this past year and was named to the all-star game, could be signed as a free agent, and could be seasoned enough (AND eligible age-wise) to come over and help out Hamilton within just a year or two.

Old
04-08-2011, 06:34 PM
le_sean

I'm going to say they trade down and draft Boone Jenner. Just seems like the kind of guy they covet.

Well knowing the Habs, they won't trade down, they will keep their pick and say they tried to trade up to get him.

Old
04-08-2011, 07:05 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm going to say they trade down and draft Boone Jenner. Just seems like the kind of guy they covet.

Well knowing the Habs, they won't trade down, they will keep their pick and say they tried to trade up to get him.
I don't know, he's an alright pick, he's just not sexy. There are much sexier picks out there..

Home-Run Potential - Mika Zibanejad
Based on Habs Needs - Mark McNeill
Based on Habs drafting philosophy - Boone Jenner
Boom/Bust pick - Joachim Nermark.

Another possibility is Nicklas Jensen.

Old
04-08-2011, 07:46 PM
NLHabsFan

This is Craig Button's latest list of 30.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=38615

A couple of surprises I think. Huberdeau at 3, Couturier at 8, Oleksiak at 10, Saad down to 16, and Siemens at 25. I'm a big fan of Siemens, and though I want the Habs to take a chance on a high skilled forward, I wouldn't want them to pass him over if he falls that far. I figured he was a top 10.

Old
04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
pine*

Sven Baertschi @ #6?

Colour me shocked.

Old
04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
SeriousFan09

McNeill at 30? When did he run over Button's dog?

Old
04-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Just thinking out loud, but Habs signed Alain Berger today, who happen to play for the same team Nicklas Jensen, Boone Jenner and Lucas Lessio plays, so I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted one of these guys (Jensen is my pick...).

Old
04-08-2011, 08:35 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't know, he's an alright pick, he's just not sexy. There are much sexier picks out there..

Home-Run Potential - Mika Zibanejad
Based on Habs Needs - Mark McNeill
Based on Habs drafting philosophy - Boone Jenner
Boom/Bust pick - Joachim Nermark.

Another possibility is Nicklas Jensen.
I would have agreed with you before the playoffs, but he is playing his best hockey for when his team needs him most. He sounds like a more offensive Chipchura. Sexy? No. Timmins player? Definitely.

I doubt Mika falls that low, and I would love for the Habs to pick McNeill. But if it came down to Jenner/Jensen, I would actually go with Jenner.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
I would have agreed with you before the playoffs, but he is playing his best hockey for when his team needs him most. He sounds like a more offensive Chipchura. Sexy? No. Timmins player? Definitely.

I doubt Mika falls that low, and I would love for the Habs to pick McNeill. But if it came down to Jenner/Jensen, I would actually go with Jenner.
Would go with Jansen. I have heard good things about him. But we need to get a player with top 6 potential and a big frame.

Old
04-09-2011, 12:38 PM
TinordiandSubban

I'd be happy with Jenner...if we were drafting 30th and Grimaldi was off the board.

Old
04-09-2011, 12:42 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

watch quebec-shawinigan last night, some thought on some draft prospect even if it was a blowout and no one on shawinigan had a good game

-Anton Zlobin: was one of the few guy who tried and didnt look awful out there. has a great shot but his skating is a turn off.
-Jonathan Racine: Love to get involded physically. not a strong game, tough to get a good read on him since it was a blowout. bigger version of mikael tam
-Dillon Donnely: struggle big time, got burn more than once on the outside by the quick rempart forward. Will only get pick in the draft because he's a willing fighter
-Yannick Veilleux: big kid who get involded physically but he's not smart about it. took 2 penalty for hit from behind. skating need work.

On Quebec side one guy who really stand out not only for his size but for his 2 sweet breakaway goal was Alexandre Grenier. He's a 19 years old late bloomer who was playing jr AAA earlier this season. He's 6"5 and has great hands, good stickhandler too. Remind me of a Eric Daze kind of player. Skating is ok, need some work but its not that bad for a 6"5 player. I will totally draft this kid in the late round in the upcoming draft. Im 100% sure one team will, he's having terrific playoff + he's got great size wich every scouts love. He's my sleeper pick.

Old
04-09-2011, 02:16 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Would go with Jansen. I have heard good things about him. But we need to get a player with top 6 potential and a big frame.
But the thing is, Jensen is more of a boom or bust type. The Habs really need a for-sure prospect and I think Jenner fits the bill perfectly. Sure his upside is that of a 2nd liner, but at least we know we get an NHL player. Right now, Kristo, Leblanc and Tinordi are the only sure-fire prospects the Habs have. Kind of sad compared to 3-4 years ago.

Old
04-09-2011, 04:52 PM
CN_paladin

How do this year's top forward talents compare to the likes of Tavares, Stamkos and Hall? Thanks.

Old
04-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Kboum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
How do this year's top forward talents compare to the likes of Tavares, Stamkos and Hall? Thanks.
Ryan Nudgent Hopkins is the only one with great offensive skills imo.. (not the only one but a sure pick)
Other than that you have complete players, hard worker, 2 way players and some home run possibilities but raw players with low % of reaching celings.

Larsson looks great, Huberdeau has top 6 upside but you ask a number 1 pick offensive skills and high % of playing in the NHL first line... I think I'll go with RNH

Old
04-09-2011, 06:49 PM
SeriousFan09

Quote:
But the thing is, Jensen is more of a boom or bust type. The Habs really need a for-sure prospect and I think Jenner fits the bill perfectly. Sure his upside is that of a 2nd liner, but at least we know we get an NHL player. Right now, Kristo, Leblanc and Tinordi are the only sure-fire prospects the Habs have. Kind of sad compared to 3-4 years ago.
Boom or bust is fine with me, we need guys with potential for explosive offence. We don't need more complimentary players.

Closed Thread