HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thursday could have been Sean Avery's last game as a Ranger

Old
04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
As for Avery, who has one season remaining on the four-year, $15.5 million deal the Rangers are splitting with the Stars, it could mean that Thursday’s game was his last in this go-round with the Rangers. It’s become clearer and clearer that Tortorella doesn’t have a use for him in the lineup. If the Rangers can’t move Avery, they could give him the Wade Redden treatment next season.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...y_eminger_out/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:37 AM
ThisYearsModel

Torts made his feelings clear about Avery before he became Ranger coach. Since then, he has neutered Avery, destroyed his confidence and drive so Sean is a shell of what he was. So Sean no longer fits.....just like Gabby. Time for him to move on.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Greg NYR

if this is his last game as a ranger, would anyone agree his nhl career might be over?

Greg NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Avery is a healthy scratch today.

Dallas gets off the hook from paying 1/2 of Avery's salary and taking 1/2 the hit only if the Rangers place Avery on re-entry and he is claimed another team. Then the Rangers and the other team split the cap hit. If the Rangers waived Avery and he was claimed by another team,the Rangers would be off the hook with Dallas and the claiming team splitting the cost. Avery claimed on re-entry waivers gets Dallas off the hook(only scenario). If the Rangers bought out Avery,the Rangers and Stars split the buyout. Daly told me that two years ago.
thanks!. I would not be shocked to see a team take a chance on him for 1 yr 2 million but in reality I think he plays out next yr as a Ranger then he is a goner

also they could waive him and see if anyone takes him, if they don't he stays on the roster and does not go down. 2 million cap hit is not alot guys.............he also has tons of assists and is gritty...........he's not the old Avery but he is a NHLer and some time would give him a shot even with his past

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:48 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg NYR View Post
if this is his last game as a ranger, would anyone agree his nhl career might be over?
It's very possible. He's pretty much been blackballed around the league. That plus his deteriorating hockey skills doesn't help. I'm sure if Avery was scoring 15 goals instead of 3 for one he'd have spot on this team still, but also a team would take a chance on him.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Torts made his feelings clear about Avery before he became Ranger coach. Since then, he has neutered Avery, destroyed his confidence and drive so Sean is a shell of what he was. So Sean no longer fits.....just like Gabby. Time for him to move on.
Is Torts also to blame for Avery's 3 goals on the season and 2.2% shooting percentage on the season as well?

Are you surprised what Tortorella said about Avery before he joined the Rangers as a head coach? In case you haven't picked up on it, no one outside of the Rangers organization likes Avery... Why would they? The players don't respect him, why should the other coaches or fans in the league?

Last edited by wolfgaze: 04-09-2011 at 12:08 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Eyes View Post
o captain, my captain

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

A good start on improving this current squad would be cutting the dead wood - and for once not adding more in an offseason.

Whether he's your favorite player or not, you have to admit that Avery is now officially dead wood in terms of his contribution to the team. A player that provides his on-ice performance cannot provide his off-ice distractions. And he CERTAINLY can't be paid what he's paid. He needs to go. Drury needs to go. Boogie needs to go. Christensen is on the bubble as well (at least he's a relative bargain and could be put in the press box without any angst).

We need guys trending up, not down.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Would be better to buy him out and suffer the cap hit consequence than send him to Hartford to be pissed off and take it out on the youth.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

i predict tomorrows article by brooks

Yesterday could have been Erik Christensens, Vinny Prospal, Steve Eminger, Ruslan Fedetenko, Chris Drury, Wojtek Wolski, Matt Gilroy, etc etc etc last game as a rangers

**** larry

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:31 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Sean?

AMFYOYO

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:10 PM
In The Flesh

I really liked Avery, still do. He's still an NHL player somewhere, not here with Torts though.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
i predict tomorrows article by brooks

Yesterday could have been Erik Christensens, Vinny Prospal, Steve Eminger, Ruslan Fedetenko, Chris Drury, Wojtek Wolski, Matt Gilroy, etc etc etc last game as a rangers

**** larry
I 2nd that

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:19 PM
3Four3

I can't wait until the playoffs are done: 99% of the UFAs will be on that Rangers' radar.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:23 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
I can't wait until the playoffs are done: 99% of the UFAs will be on that Rangers' radar.
As they should be. Hey, guess what, 99% of the UFAs will be on every other GMs radars too. You don't think that a GM will only consider one or two players do you? Nope, they look at every single one of them.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:26 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
A good start on improving this current squad would be cutting the dead wood - and for once not adding more in an offseason.

Whether he's your favorite player or not, you have to admit that Avery is now officially dead wood in terms of his contribution to the team. A player that provides his on-ice performance cannot provide his off-ice distractions. And he CERTAINLY can't be paid what he's paid. He needs to go. Drury needs to go. Boogie needs to go. Christensen is on the bubble as well (at least he's a relative bargain and could be put in the press box without any angst).

I'm not sure that Avery's game has gone totally south but if Torts doesn't trust him enough to give him decent ice time then...? He does have one year remaining and I don't think there's too many teams that are going to be interested in him and I wouldn't want him in Hartford with our prospects. A buyout?

Definitely want Drury bought out. He played pretty well today but the Rangers need to move on--especially having Richards in mind.

On EC I don't think it's necessary. I agree he's soft--he's inconsistent. He does have his moments and is an excellent shootout option and what is key in respect to him is he doesn't cost much.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:35 PM
OverTheCap

I think it was the sloppy seconds suspension that did Avery in. He's had a huge target on his back ever since and is having a hard time finding a balance between being disciplined and an effective agitator.

There were a bunch of times this season when I thought that Avery looked like the Avery of old, but he was getting penalized for every little thing that he did. Rangers fans got pissed, "Avery is soooo undisciplined, why can't he be like he used to?" The refs won't allow his antics anymore.

Avery had a relatively quiet year, yet fans and players always bring him into the conversation whenever Cooke or "dirty" players are mentioned, although Avery isn't dirty at all. Avery's reputation precedes him and everyone has their mind made up about him before he even steps on the ice. I've always liked Avery but it's entirely possible that his days as an effective agitator are over.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:39 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Good post...I think Tortorella has already begun to establish such a process. The current Avery does not bring what the old Avery did. But, he still makes the same mistakes. It was his TO that led to the 1st Atlanta goal.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
mcsauer2738

I'm in the minority that believes avery is still a 15 goal 40 point guy just not with the rangers. Under torts he's gotten not even close to the ice time he used to get an zero pp time, plus torts has just shown zero confidence in him. The immaturity of torts really gets on my nerves sometimes

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
I cant believe Avery made a combined 4 million for this past season.

Has to be some sort of record for lowest GPG per game wages for an NHL forward.

1.333 million bucks per goal. I would think Yashin was worse but he never played a game for the last 5 seasons
Chris Drury?

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 06:50 PM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Chris Drury?
Now THAT was an expensive goal today......important, timely, great to see...but expensive

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Shadowthrone
Danke Angel di Maria

Bruins fan here, but I have a soft spot for the Rangers. Nevertheless, it's really hard for me to root for them with that ****wit Avery on the roster. Looking forward to the day he's gone.

Shadowthrone is offline   Reply With Quote