HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McIllrath Signs ATO

Old
04-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Also, Justin Faulk has looked great on the blueline for UMD, playing in the NCAA Championship game (in his Freshman year) tomorrow night, he was a Bluenote fave going into the draft

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
You have to score too, and I don't like Del Zotto.
But you like Cam Flower...

Quick, tell me who is who

74 games 10 goals 30 assist -26 43 hits 88 blocks

80 games 9 goals 28 assist - 20 162 hits 92 blocks.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I still think the fact that Fowler is passing to that great top 6 is still swept under the rug. I WISH we could grace our d-men with a stacked forward group like that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

Well if Fowler were to post 11 points next year and get sent down that would certainly change alot. That being said I'm not ready to give up on Del Zotto, but I still like Fowler better and I still think we need more offense.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Anyway I'm tired of being the guy who hates everything.

Ryan McDonagh...love that kid

Old
04-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

The one who plays in the NHL in his sophomore season is definitely NOT del Zotto

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Well if Fowler were to post 11 points next year and get sent down that would certainly change alot. That being said I'm not ready to give up on Del Zotto, but I still like Fowler better and I still think we need more offense.
Good thing we didn't pass on Brian Leetch because we already had James Patrick.

Good thing we didn't pass on Sergei Zubov because we already had Brian Leetch.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post

Exactly. More offense isn't automatically a bad thing. We one a Cup in '94 with two of the best offensive defensemen in the league playing the same powerplay. Zubov is the forgotten man that year. Everyone talks about Leetch, Messier, and Graves, and rightfully so, but Zubov had a ridiculous 77 assists that year, good for 89 points, more than anyone on the team in both columns. Having just Del Zotto isn't enough imo.

Old
04-08-2011, 04:39 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Dallas wasn't taking him over Campbell in a million years. They needed a goalie. And where is the logic in another shutdown dman when we already have Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, and very little offense? The pick didn't fit the team. McIlrath is a square trying to be put through a circular hole on this team.
And you know who Dallas would've picked between Campbell and McIlrath how? Reports were out just after the draft saying that Dallas had interest @ 11, Edmonton was also looking to move up to 15 to get McIlrath, so your saying that he would make it to the second round is completely unreasonable.

Coming into the season, we also didn't have any highly touted D prospects. We had MDZ on the offensive side who had just completed a solid rookie campaign, thus making the Fowler pick seem redundent, and while there was hopes for McDonagh I don't remember seeing anyone expecting this kind of play from him, Sauer was also an afterthought.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
The one who plays in the NHL in his sophomore season is definitely NOT del Zotto
Do you know for sure Flower doesn't hit the sophomore slump?

Old
04-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Maybe not much later, but round 2 for sure. That's not even counting the fact that Fowler fills a much bigger need, because our blueline defense is far better than our blueline offense. I'm not saying McIlrath is a bad player, but it was a bad pick strategically.
After watching McIlrath a small amount my feeling is that he needs a lot of work. I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. That said I have read not one thing that indicates McIlrath would have lasted beyond the first round.

For a number of reasons, it was fully expected that MDZ would come in and improve on his freshman season.

So we had a solid puck moving, PP QB prospect in MDZ, and wanted to add a physical dimension that we are seriously lacking.

On draft day MacIrath seemed like a great choice. Lets hope it turns out that way.

....and I hope Fowler has himself a fantastic NHL career. There were a lot doubts about that caused him to suffer a major drop. I really hope he proves everyone wrong. I think the Rangers made the right choice though.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:48 AM
free0717

There are not alot of guys like McIlrath out there. He will be more than a shutdown D. He will be a "Killer". Not too many teams have that type of Defenseman. Dylan needs work. I think he is Three to four seansons away. But with Crosby, Malkin, Richards, Carter, Kovalchuk, Tavares et al in our division, a "Killer" is who we need. Someone who is real tough to play against. Will this kid be a Chara or Pronger. No, he doesn't have the talent to get to that level. But he will be one of these guys, like a Beukeboom or Darien Hatcher, who will be tough as hell to play against.

At first, I hated the pick. We didn't have a potential first line Center.
I wanted to pick Tarasenko or Bjugsadt with that pick. If we couldn't pick center, I wanted a winger who could finish. I felt we were pretty deep at Defense. However the more I think about it,With Johansen, Neidereiter, Connelly and Skinner were off the board at the time, McIltrath was the right pick. Dylan is going to be a unique player. His value will not show up on the stat sheet like Fowlers Stats will. I don't hate this pick.

In Gordie Clark we trust.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Dorado*

Nothing like having a top ten pick and it being a project . 4/5 years away ? Great . All the other picks in the first round and top ten who make it will be playing . If Defensive talent takes so many years to develop why not try and draft a " killer "'later ? The league is going more towards speed and away from " killing " . This is a skaters league in which try are trying to remove a lot of the contact and potentially Fighting in order to protect it's assets . So naturally we draft a parking cone on skates who has zero offensive upside , zero poise with the puck but can drop em with the best of them . Dale Purinton ? Wade Belak ? These names ring a bell . Derian Hatcher was good for about 10 minutes before his plodding slowness rendered him inept . This kid has bust written all over him . Gordie Clark , Slats and Torts can all drop dead . We are going to miss the playoffs because we couldn't score the last 2 weeks of the season not becaus we needed a lumbering stiff likeDylan Dale McBelak . In Gordie Clark we Bust

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
If you don't see Doug Murray's value then you know **** about hockey.
He better be better than Murray. You don't draft Doug Murray 10th overall.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He better be better than Murray. You don't draft Doug Murray 10th overall.
If you say so...

Old
04-09-2011, 12:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
There are not alot of guys like McIlrath out there
There were 3 or 4 guys just like him, and possibly better, that were picked in the same round, and the next round.

Tinordi (a much smarter player than McIlrath), Forbort (also a much smarter player than McIlrath), Petrovic, not to mention Merrill and Pysyk (different style, but both blueliners I'd rather have.

Of course, NONE of them should have been the 10th pick in the draft. What mistakes other teams made or were willing to make should we not have selected McIlrath should have no bearing on it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:00 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
There were 3 or 4 guys just like him, and possibly better, that were picked in the same round, and the next round.

Tinordi (a much smarter player than McIlrath), Forbort (also a much smarter player than McIlrath), Petrovic, not to mention Merrill and Pysyk (different style, but both blueliners I'd rather have.

Of course, NONE of them should have been the 10th pick in the draft. What mistakes other teams made or were willing to make should we not have selected McIlrath should have no bearing on it.
Like him but not him. There's something extra he brings that separates him potential wise as a prospect ONLY. I DONT like that reasoning but I understand what they saw different from those guys you just mentioned. I wanted Tarasenko instead but I'm reserving my b****ing about it for if it fails miserably. Aside from saying I really wanted something different dunno what else there is to say except nitpick about Fowler or some crap which i guess is fine (Talking more to the other guy at this point I don't want you to get all defensive b/c I agree here.)

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
If you say so...
I don't know why it's so difficult to explain anything so simple to you. You are so thick headed and stubborn at times.

Doug Murray is awesome. I love him. I want him on the Rangers. But I would never, ever take him with a top 10 pick in the draft. You do not take 4/5 d-men in the top 10. McI needs to be better than Murray to ever justify the pick. I really wish you would sit down and actually think in terms of hockey for once, rather than in terms of whatever you are thinking of.

McI needs to be better than him if he hopes to ever justify picking him top 10. We should settle for nothing less, either. But it's cool if you want to since you won't listen to anyone else, anyway.

Old
04-09-2011, 01:41 PM
McRanger

Quote:

Not really a great comparison.

Leetch did not play the same defensive side as Patrick or Zubov.

Patrick and Zubov, who did play the same position, were drafted 9 years apart. Patrick was also traded as soon as Zubov became a regular. And of course Zubov was a late rounder.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
I don't know why it's so difficult to explain anything so simple to you. You are so thick headed and stubborn at times.

Doug Murray is awesome. I love him. I want him on the Rangers. But I would never, ever take him with a top 10 pick in the draft. You do not take 4/5 d-men in the top 10. McI needs to be better than Murray to ever justify the pick. I really wish you would sit down and actually think in terms of hockey for once, rather than in terms of whatever you are thinking of.

McI needs to be better than him if he hopes to ever justify picking him top 10. We should settle for nothing less, either. But it's cool if you want to since you won't listen to anyone else, anyway.
If McI chips in 25-30 points, patrol's the blueline and provides Murray type defense then I see it as a win.

I would take 25 points from him and his intangiblies over Fowlers, 45 points and nothing else.

I look @ Fowler as an extra foward.

I am not saying you were campaigning for Fowler but I tired how everyone says this kid was a terrible pick. He was rated the 17th rated prospect on a ton of draft boards, Rangers felt this type of player was lacking in our system, I for one am happy that they did.

People complain about this as a "need" pick, if we sign Richards and the team add's a goal a game next year...do we still "need" Tarasenko when we possibly drafted a prolific goal scorer in the 2nd round?

Old
04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
If McI chips in 25-30 points, patrol's the blueline and provides Murray type defense then I see it as a win.

I would take 25 points from him and his intangiblies over Fowlers, 45 points and nothing else.

I am not saying you were campaigning for Fowler but I tired how everyone says this kid was a terrible pick. He was rated the 17th rated prospect on a ton of draft boards, Rangers felt there was a need for him, I for on am happy that they did.

People complain about this as a "need" pick, if we sign Richards and the team add's a goal a game next year...do we still "need" Tarasenko when we possibly drafted a prolific goal scorer in the 2nd round?
I am not saying he's a terrible pick, either. I have come around on the pick. But he NEEDS to be better than Doug Murray, bro. If he ends up as only Doug Murray and players around him end up being much better... Well, I'll leave it at that.

We really need a player like his on our blueline. But I am praying he turns into more than Doug Murray. As much as I like Murray, too.

Old
04-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Dorado*

Quote:

I am not saying you were campaigning for Fowler but I tired how everyone says this kid was a terrible pick. He was rated the 17th rated prospect on a ton of draft boards, Rangers felt this type of player was lacking in our system, I for one am happy that they did.

He barely sniffs 25 in WHL . As your comparisons on here MurrAy has 13 . Dale Dylan Mcbelak will be lucky to score 25 in career like his V 1.o wade Belak who has about 35 for his Career . If he is hardly a good enough skater to dominate the WHL or garner even a courtesy invite to The Jr National TRYOUT Camp you really think he going to be an impact player in the NHL . This was a panic move pick after Skinner went at 8 and Fowler fell . Gordie Clark sees his volley ball background as a Plus with his " good feet" . Yeah Fowler was a WJC player @ 17 and in the NHL at 18 . A d we hope Dale Dylan McBelak is ready in 4 years as we possibly just missed the playoffs because of putrid ability to move the puck up the ice beside stretch passes and dump ins . You want a banger and a crease clearer or a huge Parking con type D Man they could have signed Hal Gill years ago

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:54 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:

You just compared the following situations as if they are the same
"We have a ton of D prospects. We have almost no big time talents on wing or in our system. The few we have like kreider are question marks. We draft another D-man "

"We have no scorers. We may draft one later in the 2nd round. We may also sign a big time centerman. We draft another D-man."

You took fact and equated it to hypothetical. Doesn't make sense. How could we have known we could draft CT and he would have this season? How could we know BR will sign with us? Silly Silly arguement. I get what you tried to say but it's a terrible comparison.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Ola

Quote:
I am not saying he's a terrible pick, either. I have come around on the pick. But he NEEDS to be better than Doug Murray, bro. If he ends up as only Doug Murray and players around him end up being much better... Well, I'll leave it at that.

We really need a player like his on our blueline. But I am praying he turns into more than Doug Murray. As much as I like Murray, too.
The last handful of drafts have been pretty great, but normally about 1/3 of a 1st round becomes good players. I've checked that many times (like with 2000-2005) being the sample, or something like that. You need to go back at least 5 years since some guys have good rookie years, but never establish themselfs et c (a kid like Korpikoski probably needs to be given like 7-8 years before you can tell if he becomes a good player or not).

If you get a player in the mid-first round, be it a just a solid nr 4 D or something like that -- you have done your job so to speak. Sometimes you get a Bobby Sanguinetti and sometimes you get a Marc Staal.

Natrually -- this team really needs to get that offensive player. That first line offensive forward. And I agree with you in the sense that it would be a biatch if we took McI and it then shows that like Tarasenko ends up scoring 90 pts for STL, but its a solid pick if he plays 10 years for us for sure.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Ola

del.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote