HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POLL: Was resigning Murray a good idea?

View Poll Results: Was resigning Murray a good idea?
YES- He is the guy to rebuild us 91 59.87%
NO- He needed to be fired outright 7 4.61%
MAYBE- Should have been kept as a consultant to a new GM 47 30.92%
NOT SURE 7 4.61%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-08-2011, 03:11 PM
koreaboy

vCash: 500
POLL: Was resigning Murray a good idea?

interesting to see what the numbers are here....

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 122
Nope.

You can say whatever you want about bringing in kids, and John Muckler blah blah but there have been a lot of missteps by this man. From his handling of Heatley to terrible trades and signings, many of which had to be undone at the end of this season, to non-stop drama.

Keeping Murray was an easy and lazy move by a man with little hockey knowledge and ruled by emotion rather by logic and forethought.

This team currently has one 70-90 point forward, a potential 50-70 and a lot of 20-40 point forwards. Defense is a question mark too. Not seeing how this is a deep, contending team for the foreseeable future.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:17 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Nope.

You can say whatever you want about bringing in kids, and John Muckler blah blah but there have been a lot of missteps by this man. From his handling of Heatley to terrible trades and signings, many of which had to be undone at the end of this season, to non-stop drama.

Keeping Murray was an easy and lazy move by a man with little hockey knowledge and ruled by emotion rather by logic and forethought.

This team currently has one 70-90 point forward, a potential 50-70 and a lot of 20-40 point forwards. Defense is a question mark too. Not seeing how this is a deep, contending team for the foreseeable future.
Cool story bro.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:18 PM
senswon

I have no idea.....time will tell

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Kind of wanted fresh blood in the organization and keep Murray around as a consultant/adviser but c'est la vie.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:49 PM
BigEyedPhish

Murray is one of the best Architect GMs in the league at the moment, and there is no one out there to hire who is better or has as many good contacts as Murray has right now..

So I answer with a resounding yes.. As long as he doesn't sell the FUTURE, for NOW, and only sells the Future for more Future (1st for Rundblad, for example) He will be a successful GM for us.

I will feel bad however, as I do not see him here after those 3 years, which is when his actually impact on the team will start to be felt and his drafted/signed players will see their success really rise. Which will be another Detroit/Anaheim for him..

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:28 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

WOW!

Im glad that YES is winning by a huge margin. From reading this forum you would have though there would be more no's. I guess the very few who are anti-murray are really vocal about it.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:29 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
Murray is one of the best Architect GMs in the league at the moment, and there is no one out there to hire who is better or has as many good contacts as Murray has right now..

So I answer with a resounding yes.. As long as he doesn't sell the FUTURE, for NOW, and only sells the Future for more Future (1st for Rundblad, for example) He will be a successful GM for us.

I will feel bad however, as I do not see him here after those 3 years, which is when his actually impact on the team will start to be felt and his drafted/signed players will see their success really rise. Which will be another Detroit/Anaheim for him..
Well, he barely sold any future when Melnyk told him to run for the cup, so I highly doubt he will now.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:20 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post

I agree with this & I also think that Murray could eventually become a Senior advisor after two yrs if he wants, he doesn't necessarily have to stay for the full three yrs. I doubt he sells the future at all, in fact, I think he continues to build towards the future through the draft & signing free agent young players.

Here is something else to remember after a terrible start this yr Murray through the trades he has made, the UFA signings & the play of the young guys has sold hope to Ottawa fans in a very short time. Ottawa fans are now talking about how good Greening, Condra, Butler, Lehner & Da Costa will be, they are talking about Cowen, Rundblad & now Petersson, they are talking about getting a few very good players at the draft & how soon this team could return to respectability. This franchise has gone from this team sucks & is an embarassment in the first half of the season to great optimism for all the changes Murray has made & will make going forward. The fan base has hope again that this team is on the right track & will soon again be a contender & elite team in the NHL. It doesn't mean it will happen but it gives the fan base hope & if it translates into the season ticket holders re-subscribing for tickets again next season Melnyk & team brass are also happy. WIN/WIN. It doesn't erase some of the mistakes he has made but it certainly goes a long way to rejeuvinate the fan base & sells tickets which is the most important thing to a professional sports franchise.

Last edited by aragorn: 04-08-2011 at 05:54 PM.
aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Not sure...

Don't mind him, it's just that the past outside of this season, he's been bad. 3 Years might be too long if we don't get any progress for next season.

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:22 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Not sure...

Don't mind him, it's just that the past outside of this season, he's been bad. 3 Years might be too long if we don't get any progress for next season.
Surely, we can do better than 3rd worst team in the East? There is only one way to go but up.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 07:38 PM
EastCoastSensFan

He knows how to find good young players and draft.
That is what is needed in a rebuild.

He is the best suited for this job. I do find it interesting that people do not want a rookie coach again but are willing to see a rookie GM come in during a rebuild.

EastCoastSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:44 PM
koreaboy

i'm actually kind of surprised that there were so few "outright fired" answers.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

I don't think Murray staying as a consultant was a realistic expectation. When you get a new GM, if he doesn't have a plan solid enough that he needs to ask Murray for stuff, then you might as well keep Murray as GM.

You can give people lesser roles but consultant to the GM is not one of them. Neither Murray nor the new GM would be comfortable with that situation.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Bryan knows that things might have been different if certain pieces had not fallen into place after it was clear they would miss the playoffs. He basically said as much based not only on his own perspective but that of others (implying Melnyk). All the dominoes were falling the right way for Murray to continue as GM, ie... moving certain players out quickly, the obvious advancement of many prospects, the obtaining and signing of a decent goalie Anderson, many more prospects in the wings beyond the current crop who played this year, many draft picks and so on.

Murray knows that all this does not make a Stanley cup but they are some of the building blocks to start the team on that road. Without those changes and a positive future outlook based on the few experienced guys they purposely kept in addition to the rookies in the system, Murray would not have wanted to return and the owner would have wanted to start over with a whole new staff from the ground up.

I like what Bryan said about trying to get a youngish goal scorer but if he can't get one then they may develop one of their prospects instead rather than signing an aging vet. Bryan knows that there will be difficulties ahead and some pieces still have to move in and out but he expects the team to compete and progress with time.

Overall expectations will be hopeful but tempered for this team next season. They will have a lot of defensive lapses if they start many more rookies and Anderson won't be able to mask them all. Earlier in the year this team was on a bad down cycle with too many aging vets even if they had managed to sneak into the playoffs they were not going anywhere long term. With so many prospects pushing for a spot, eventually a rebuild of sorts was inevitable. Whether they make the playoffs or not next year this team is trending up. I'm expecting better but if the Laffs finish ahead of us next year it will only be for one season while the prospects gain valuable experience.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 12:45 AM
SilverSeven

I like the idea of stability, and I strongly believe that:

1) Murray was left a team with a lot of false hope. Ottawa had gone for broke just prior to and during the lockout, and were left with a number of circumstances that would lead to its inevitable collapse (lack of prospects, aging core, contracts, and, most importantly...and in my opinion...a very big issue with the culture of the team). He didnt have a whole lot to work with.

2) Melnyk pushed and pushed and pushed for this team to win a cup when it just wasnt realistic anymore. There is no doubt that Murray was told that his primary mandate should be to aquire UFA's which could help this team win now. The problem was, we didnt have the youth, with their energy and cheap contracts, to build upon. Once It was obvious to everyone that the time had come to blow it up, Murray IMMEDIATELY went to work. He has done so much in so little time that you have to think he had been planning it for quite some time, he just wasnt allowed to do it.

In a very short time (like what...2 months?) Murray has done what has taken other teams 2+ years to do in their rebuilds. We have some HUGE pieces going forward, namely a legit #1c, what looks to be a legit #1g, and a D core, that if it reaches even 50% of its potential, will have us set for quite a while. And he still can work his magic this draft. We got Karlsson at #15....our SECOND pick will be in that range!

A few players have come out recently and specifically mentioned the management and the way they are treated as reasons to be here, and thats also encouraging.

I still dont know if it was the right move, but I feel there are more positives to it than negatives. Who is out there that is a better fit?

Because of all this, I lean towards yes, and will vote that.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Rooverick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
Cool story bro.
Please don't quote the troll.

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 08:43 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooverick View Post
Please don't quote the troll.
I don't see how he was trolling. I don't exactly agree with his part of Melnyk just being a lazy man, but his post is reasonable.

I'm a little skeptical of this signing basically because I only feel Murray has had one successful year as a GM. I think it will be fine if we're rebuilding as he does bring a lot to the draft table, but I don't think he's the GM your team wants to make those deadline deals to push your team over the edge for a Cup run.

04-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Rooverick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
I don't see how he was trolling. I don't exactly agree with his part of Melnyk just being a lazy man, but his post is reasonable.

I'm a little skeptical of this signing basically because I only feel Murray has had one successful year as a GM. I think it will be fine if we're rebuilding as he does bring a lot to the draft table, but I don't think he's the GM your team wants to make those deadline deals to push your team over the edge for a Cup run.
His well established pattern of behaviour over multiple years is what makes him a troll, not that post in particular. If people must respond to his tripe, I'm simply requesting they don't quote his posts so that the ignore feature will prevent me from seeing his "contributions".

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 09:17 AM
TheHMan

I think the real question is...

Was there a better replacement available?

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 09:31 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
I think the real question is...

Was there a better replacement available?
Possibly, but with Murray atleast we know what were getting; someone that can draft well and develop young players

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 10:11 AM
topshelf15

He is a great gm and a realist,he has not allowed fans over expections cloud his judgement on the future.Which in ottawa is a difficult thing to do,most overexpectant fans say dumb things like we were a cup team and murray ruined it

Most educated fans look at the all the variables and then give an educated reponse.And when you look at the overall state of the team when he took over the position ,you can plainly see that BM has done a very good job at implementing a proper drafting and developing system.So that in the future we won,t have to use the FA market to fill major holes which often leads to failure

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:48 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 359
I'll make it simple... Yep

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote