HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Today could be Gaborik's last game as a Ranger

Old
04-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

vCash: 500
I have a slight inkling that with the progress of this team as a young team this year, you're going to see Tortorella change up styles next season. I don't care what anyone says, this group has the players to play a more aggressive offensive system next year, Richards or not. The big thing holding them back from doing that was the D, not the forwards, and we've had two major revelations on the backend this year. Tortorella didn't want to change system-horses mid season, so he has stuck with his system that stifles the talent on this team while protecting his young D from killing their confidence. To me, this is part of why this was and is a transition year.

Next year's game and team will be more suited to Gaborik and we'll see him back to form. I truly believe that.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:05 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Gaborik Kreider Girardi to columbus for rick nash.

Then sign Brad Richards

What does columbus think of this offer?
What do the rangers think of this offer?

No way would they trade Nash. He's the face of their franchise and probably the only reason any tickets or merchandise get sold.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:26 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

"Let's trade Gaborik for this second/third liner free agent who will struggle to put goals in the net just like most of our team this year!"

Brilliant idea, guys.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Gaborik Kreider Girardi to columbus for rick nash.

Then sign Brad Richards

What does columbus think of this offer?
What do the rangers think of this offer?
Nash is not that much better than Gaborik. Gaborik has been more productive point wise throughout their careers. So including Girardi and Kreider is way too much.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:33 PM
darko

I hope thats not the case. He had a down season but lets not forget what he did for us last year.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:34 PM
EEDAWGZ

Gaborik pisses me off.Guy looks like he doesn't care, and if injury is the case , well then its still a problem , the guy is as frail as a six year old girl. what good is all that talent if u play like a little

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:37 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
"Let's trade Gaborik for this second/third liner free agent who will struggle to put goals in the net just like most of our team this year!"

Brilliant idea, guys.
BUT HE'S A TORTS KINDA GUY!!!!

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:39 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevityNYC View Post
The article today surprised me. Seriously, who would trade for him? What could we get for him?
I would say not much(due to contract length and injury history) but look at what the Rangers for Gomez who at the time I thought had way less trade value then Gaborik does now.

At the time of the Gomez trade I thought the Rangers might be lucky to have a team pick him up on waivers. In the case of Gaborik I do think he has some positive value.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:39 PM
tjs252

I just can't understand the rationale behind trading Gaborik. His 2010/11 numbers were disappointing for a player carrying his expectations, but no GM in the league is going to touch a player with his cap hit coming off a concussion. And on that note, let's talk about his concussion a bit more; we let him play, a notoriously injury prone player, play with a concussion for an uncertain amount of time. Chalking it all up to injury is a bogus excuse, but I think any observer must note that the Rangers medical staff did not do him any favors this season.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I hope Sather isn't thinking to trade Gaborik to clear up cap room for Richards. If you want improve this team bring in Richards to play with Gaborik.

It has to be either both Gabby and Brad or neither. It makes no sense otherwise. Either go for the Stanley Cup right now or get the team ready for 2013-14 when our youth peaks.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
What about last year then? He was a one man wrecking crew for the Rangers on most of the nights. 86 points...

One weaker season later, apparently he's a bum...

Such knee jerk reactions.
So true... Gaborik is a game breaker. Let's see what he does next
year

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:45 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

If losing Gabby is the only way we can avoid adding Richards this offseason… then see ya Gabs. don't let the door etc etc.

I'd much rather have that 14m available to add a player that's a serious every game difference maker.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
If losing Gabby is the only way we can avoid adding Richards this offseason… then see ya Gabs. don't let the door etc etc.

I'd much rather have that 14m available to add a player that's a serious every game difference maker.
Which most teams are not going to let make it to FA.

You don't just sign those kinds of players unless they can't strike deals with their failing franchise(s). Richards is probably the closest thing to that, as was Kovalsuck last year.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
I just can't understand the rationale behind trading Gaborik.

The rational is not that he didn't play well this year. It's amazing that everyone who wants to keep him just chooses to stick words in their opponents' mouth: "You just want to trade him because he had an off-year."

No, I want to trade him because given his history of injuries, I don't believe he'll be at his peak when the rest of the team is. This means that he won't help us win the Cup when it will really matter, and in fact, will be just another overpaid hit on the salary cap by 2012-13 or 2013-14 when I think the team will be ready to contend.

If we get another Stepan and another Kreider for Gabby, it makes sense for a team that won't be contending for another 2-3 years.

Old
04-09-2011, 03:51 PM
patnyrnyg

I can't see Gaborik being moved. With the season he had, and his injury history, you are not getting anywhere close to what some people in here have proposed. You'll get a young 2nd liner, or another player with first line potential, big salary but has underperformed. Basically our problem for your problem with the hope that a change of scenery will help.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post

You don't just sign those kinds of players unless they can't strike deals with their failing franchise(s). Richards is probably the closest thing to that, as was Kovalsuck last year.
agreed. so in the meantime i hope we continue to develop and build from inside. spend the money on peripherals and keep an eye on the future.

sure this core is set to win now, and it'd be a shame to not go for it. but it's a much bigger shame to lock up money year after year in a futile effort to build around hoping Gabby returns to healthy. I mean at this point, it's a pretty safe assumption Gaborik's entire career is going to be playing with injuries, and adding nothing on ice except for goals during his hot streaks.

14m + between Richards and Gabby is going to cost this team a ton of pieces over those years of their contracts, and they're not going to be enough as the roster starts to get thin due to those signings.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post

We should have signed Kovalchuk last summer. He was that game-breaker we needed, and despite being only a year younger than Gabby, he doesn't have a history of injuries. He'll still be around in 2-3 years when Kreider, Thomas, Hagelin, etc. are here and hitting their stride.

Old
04-09-2011, 04:02 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
The rational is not that he didn't play well this year. It's amazing that everyone who wants to keep him just chooses to stick words in their opponents' mouth: "You just want to trade him because he had an off-year."

No, I want to trade him because given his history of injuries, I don't believe he'll be at his peak when the rest of the team is. This means that he won't help us win the Cup when it will really matter, and in fact, will be just another overpaid hit on the salary cap by 2012-13 or 2013-14 when I think the team will be ready to contend.

If we get another Stepan and another Kreider for Gabby, it makes sense for a team that won't be contending for another 2-3 years.
But this thing is...most people on here ARE calling for him to be traded because he's had an off year. Did anybody see any talk of trading Gaborik last year? NO! And why would they? We finally landed the sniper we needed, whose finally overcome his injury history......Then he has a bad year, and suddenly he's a heartless bum who doesn't care about this team.

The only person who knows if his heart isn't in it is Gaborik. We've all fallen in love with Callahan and Dubinsky and rightfully so, but not ever player is like that, nor should they all be like that.

Now onto the parts I bolded. I'm as excited as anybody in this fanbase when it comes to Stepan and Kreider, but lets think about this one clearly for a sec.

1. Stepan has had a really good rookie season, but lets wait to see what he becomes before we say his value equals Gaboriks (or skill level).

2. I'm extremely excited for Kreider, but he's done NOTHING in this league yet. We have no idea what he'll actually become.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Ola

I'd deal Gabby for a good player/kid. But that deal is probably hard to get.

But even when Gabby is Gabby of last season -- I am not his biggest fan. I love centers and I love wingers who, like Kova tonight for example, can go deep, fetch the puck and take it up ice while being a threat.

I just do not think wingers who only are a threat from like the redline and in are that valuble. They score a ton of goals, but its almost like they score more the worse team they are on (look at Bure in his prime for example).

I also rather get a player who is better around the boards, or better at opening space for himself, then Gabby.

But, and this is the most important aspect of it all, nobody is available and its better to have somebody (Gabby) then nobody (Higgins II/Voros II)... I doubt he will be moved. Maybe we can get OK offers, but more then that? Like if we snatch Richards from Dallas, Dallas all of a sudden becomes a team that could need a goto star. But what could they give up? What could EDM offer? What can a team like Florida offer? It seems like we would get solid, but not good enough players for him.

Or maybe not. I certainly depends on if we get Richards or not. But if get Richards, then maybe even just a Hemsky swap makes sense, if Torts and Gabby just do not get along... Or we can pick up a exiting kid like Magnus Pääjärvi.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Larry stiring the pot. I'm surprised.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:18 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Aside from the obvious players, the only way I'd deal Gaborik for a non-superstar would be someone like Eriksson or Ryan, otherwise unless a big nam is coming back no deal.

Also Gaborik isn't going anywhere.

04-09-2011, 04:26 PM
3Four3

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. He has been playing hurt this season ever since Colby "I'm going to play a pivotal role for the Penguins, okay, I'll make fun of Ovechkin while making the Thrashers rise from the ashes; I think I'm finally a part of something here in Toronto" Armstrong.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:54 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
What could EDM offer? What can a team like Florida offer? It seems like we would get solid, but not good enough players for him.

Or maybe not. I certainly depends on if we get Richards or not. But if get Richards, then maybe even just a Hemsky swap makes sense, if Torts and Gabby just do not get along... Or we can pick up a exiting kid like Magnus Pääjärvi.
Speaking as an Oiler fan, Gaborik would be a great complimentary piece moving forward, sort of how Hossa is in Chicago. They don't need him to produce but he can be a game breaker. Salary isn't a problem as we've got the cap space ($27M, to be exact) to have him be injured/float for a third of the year.

However, I don't think names like Paajarvi or Hemsky would become involved, at least from Tambellini's side. Is Gaborik's situation really all that different from Gomez's? Obviously, there's a large talent gap between the two, but you're still paying a guy $7.5M and it's questionable whether his pros and cons add up to a player worth that much money.

Gomez returned a decent package of U25 talent, even if Higgins was a disappointment and Valentenko has been unable to crack the roster.

Using that trade as a template, is Andrew Cogliano (C/RW, 35 points) Linus Omark (RW, 25 points) a top D prospect (Martin Marincin?) and LA's 1st (19-30) for Gabby and Christensen enough?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Speaking as an Oiler fan, Gaborik would be a great complimentary piece moving forward, sort of how Hossa is in Chicago. They don't need him to produce but he can be a game breaker. Salary isn't a problem as we've got the cap space ($27M, to be exact) to have him be injured/float for a third of the year.

However, I don't think names like Paajarvi or Hemsky would become involved, at least from Tambellini's side. Is Gaborik's situation really all that different from Gomez's? Obviously, there's a large talent gap between the two, but you're still paying a guy $7.5M and it's questionable whether his pros and cons add up to a player worth that much money.

Gomez returned a decent package of U25 talent, even if Higgins was a disappointment and Valentenko has been unable to crack the roster.

Using that trade as a template, is Andrew Cogliano (C/RW, 35 points) Linus Omark (RW, 25 points) a top D prospect (Martin Marincin?) and LA's 1st (19-30) for Gabby and Christensen enough?
Omark is strong but he no goal getter and with Cogliano the only player on Oiler recent roster I consider.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I only support trading Gaborik if it's a cost-cutting move that will bring back prospect/picks.

Before we axe him:

a) can we how he performs in the playoffs (if we get in)?

b) Can we give him one more year?

It seems Gaborik with two years left on a deal will make him more tradeable than with three.

Give him one more year so Thomas and Kreider get get a full year of pro hockey under their belts before we send him packing.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote