HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sauer vs McIlrath

Old
04-09-2011, 07:17 PM
TheRedViper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Stat watching is numbers, which I hardly brought up in assessing his game, defensive dominance is all I care to see from him at that level, the offense is just bonus. I mention his competition cause that matters and is not part of the stat sheet. If you watch the games its quite apparent that Mcilrath is physically dominant over the smaller junior league players.

But he doesn't always dominate, especially against the leagues tougher competition. Sting said it the other day, he makes bad decisions outside his comfort zone, a zone that might not be there at the next level, next level can match him in all areas physically if he doesn't keep up.
Sorry, bringing up an opponent/penalties is pretty much stat watching. "Stat watching" is what I qualify as information that you can find out without actualy watching the game, so not really making an informed opinion of his actual play during the game.

The comments that Sting made the other day about McIlrath making a mistake "every other shift" seem completely outlandish seeing as how people have been asking all season about reports of his play and only now this generalized statement comes out about his season as a whole? I don't buy it, as it seems baseless.

There has not once at any point during the season been evidence that McIlrath is playing bad/making bad decisions with the puck on a constant basis, just constant complaints from the same crowd that has a problem with the selection.

Like I said, if there ever was a game, or a multitude of games, where someone who watched came out and said - "McIlrath had a bad game, his defensive miscues were a direct cause of this goal, or that goal." - than I wouldn't have a hard time at all accepting your opinions, but that's just not the way it has been.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

That's not stat watching, its proof that he has hard time 'shutting down' the best from WHL, and that they frustrate the big man into taking aggressive stupid penalties.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
That's not stat watching, its proof that he has hard time 'shutting down' the best from WHL, and that they frustrate the big man into taking aggressive stupid penalties.
He was a +2 combined against the top 8 teams in the WHL. You also can't conclude that his penalties, whether they were roughing/high sticking/tripping, were caused due to him being frustrated. See what I mean that you can't judge his play through the web page?

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
He was a +2 combined against the top 8 teams in the WHL. You also can't conclude that his penalties, whether they were roughing/high sticking/tripping, were caused due to him being frustrated. See what I mean that you can't judge his play through the web page?
I'm not just going by what stats are available, I get first hand reports from MJ season ticket holder and other hockey folks who regularly watch WHL games.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:23 AM
JayQueensNY88*

What it comes down to is...........Sauer is something special,he got everything it takes to be one of the leagues top defenseman all around.

As much as I like Staal and Girardi,I have to say that McDonagh and Sauer are something special. I see 2 defenseman who should remain blueshirts for a very very long time. For first year players,game in and out im always impressed.

And i think Sauer will be as good maybe even more important a player than Staal,but time will tell.I also think in time Sauer and McDonagh will be simply the best shut down pairing in the league.Yes,I like these 2 thta much.Though I am taking nothing away from Girardi and staal.I want those 4 to remain Rangers top 2 pairs for a long time.

McIlrath,well I think JohnErskine.

But size has nothing to d with anything,the original poster figured they were the same size so that warrants comparison,which,well is completley ignorant and makes no sense.

THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS>>>O P I N I O N S!!!!!!!!!! i know how ppl on here are,your all GM's.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
The term you're looking for is color guy or color commentator.
Thanks!

Natrually I've heard it hundreds of times, never remember it though. Color guy.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:28 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
So to settle this, who has watched more than a handful of McIlrath games this year.
I'll raise my hand.

I watch a decent amount of games, or at least large chunks of games. But this season I didn't get to post as much some days. And, usually, anything negative about McIlrath turns into a flamefest.

Once in a while, it's worth sharing my opinion to help balance the neverending hype machine that glosses over what may be a tremendous blunder in franchise history. This team doesn't get high picks very often. We may have wasted yet another one of them.

Glen Sather sucks. He does almost everything backwards.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:34 PM
chosen

I don't understand the point of contrasting an existing NHL defenseman with a guy who may or may not make the NHL. If the kid is good enough to displace someone, great. If not, he becomes a terrible pick. What does it have to do with Sauer? If he's good enough he's not redundant.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'll raise my hand.

I watch a decent amount of games, or at least large chunks of games. But this season I didn't get to post as much some days. And, usually, anything negative about McIlrath turns into a flamefest.

Once in a while, it's worth sharing my opinion to help balance the neverending hype machine that glosses over what may be a tremendous blunder in franchise history. This team doesn't get high picks very often. We may have wasted yet another one of them.

Glen Sather sucks. He does almost everything backwards.
Lol, i agree completely. Guess only time will tell.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:26 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
What it comes down to is...........Sauer is something special,he got everything it takes to be one of the leagues top defenseman all around.
I know Sauer had a good season, but I'm not ready to go this far yet.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:30 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
So to settle this, who has watched more than a handful of McIlrath games this year.
Time will eventually tell (which I know is kind of obvious but just saying...)

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Sauer is already an average to above average NHL defender (in his own zone)...as a ROOKIE.

McIlrath has a long way to go...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
From what i've read on the first page you all seem to think that since McIlrath is much more of a physical force he will equate to being a better defender than Sauer. No one said it that up front, but that seems to be the collective hope amongst the posters on the first page.

However, I don't care how hard of a hitter McIlrath is, if he's a defensive liability I don't want him anywhere near the top 2 pairings... AND for a top 15 pick, being anywhere besides on the 1st pairing would be a bust (obviously not immediately after he breaks into the NHL).

I'm more focused on hearing how defensively sound he is, rather than how he's going to projectile opposing players from blue line to blue line with hits... That's what will land him on our first pairing, not the power of his hits.

For that to happen, he needs to become a hell of a lot better skater, a hell of a lot better with the stick, and certainly a hell of a lot better with his positioning.

At this point, hearing about his development, it seems he'll be a player that takes longer to break into the NHL than one that is ready to go early on. From what's been said, only his physical capabilities exceed that of a normal defenseman's, and he even has room to improve there. He still needs to work on everything else, and then we'll see if he was worth the pick.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:40 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Sauer protects his goalie if you hit Lundqvist, is positionally sound, and can fight.

McIlrath will break your neck if you hit Lundqvist, tries to break your neck with his hits, and will break your neck if you try and fight him.

McIlrath is a beast, i just watched some of his fights, kid goes after everyone, i love it

Knowing how protective Sauer is on Henrik, McIlrath is gunna be just as bad and I completely agree with your comment

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

fighters tend to have their careers shortened. id rather have a fierce hitter than a fierce fighter personally. I know McIlrath can fight...id prefer he avoid it though, and instead just punish the holy hell out of everyone with devastating hits.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I'm not just going by what stats are available, I get first hand reports from MJ season ticket holder and other hockey folks who regularly watch WHL games.
You mean first hand reports like when user TreeSapLLama gave us an account of his impressions from a Moose Jaw game that he attended, and you criticized him for not mentioning the penalty/ies that McIlrath took?

More agenda driven drivel. If your so claimed "sources" told you anything positive about McIlrath's play this season, we can sure as heck bank on you not posting about it.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You mean first hand reports like when user TreeSapLLama gave us an account of his impressions from a Moose Jaw game that he attended, and you criticized him for not mentioning the penalty/ies that McIlrath took?

More agenda driven drivel. If your so claimed "sources" told you anything positive about McIlrath's play this season, we can sure as heck bank on you not posting about it.
No not penalties, a misconduct, you think that's not important, I happen to think it is.

And I did report positive notes on Mcilrath, look it up, I'm not here to convince you of anything, youre the one pushing an agenda, I'm sticking to the facts.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:52 PM
slipknottin

I don't really understand why they are being compared.

McIlrath is still very young, and has at least another year or two to be ready to play in the NHL. He struggled quite a bit playing for the Whale, and while some of that is obviously being used to the system, he is not an NHL skater at this point. He struggled a lot keeping up with the faster skaters.

And although everyone keeps talking about how he is intimidating, while he might be in the WHL, a 215 pound guy is not exactly a rarity at the NHL level. He is still young and growing and can likely get to 230+ if he works at it and he can improve his skating despite gaining weight.

So onto this him vs. Sauer debate, I dont get it. Teams need at least 6 defensemen. So isnt it just a positive if the Rangers could have both players?

McIlrath in a season or two could come up as a replacement for the 3rd line D man, perhaps him and Del Zotto could form a line after Eminger and McCabe move on.

And McIlrath will probably end up being a better penalty killer than McDonagh just due to his size, strength, and reach.

Im just glad they are both on the team, and hope they both are for a very long time.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
And McIlrath will probably end up being a better penalty killer than McDonagh just due to his size, strength, and reach.
We already know that McDonagh is a quality NHL defenseman. We don't yet know if McIlrath is a quality AHL defenseman so how can you possibly gauge him as probably being a better NHL penalty killer?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:14 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
We already know that McDonagh is a quality NHL defenseman. We don't yet know if McIlrath is a quality AHL defenseman so how can you possibly gauge him as probably being a better NHL penalty killer?
I said he could probably become. Not that he is now or is guaranteed to be. But if you could design the perfect penalty killing defensemen, you want a guy with the size to clear out the slot area, win those one on one battles, and the reach to get into passing lanes.

Last edited by slipknottin: 04-11-2011 at 10:22 PM.
slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Besides being a physical presence my favorite part of his game is the PK. He dominated when shorthanded in the few games I watched this season. I'd like to see him use his reach more but not worried, Marc Staal could show him a few things at the very least

Old
04-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
However, I don't care how hard of a hitter McIlrath is, if he's a defensive liability I don't want him anywhere near the top 2 pairings... AND for a top 15 pick, being anywhere besides on the 1st pairing would be a bust (obviously not immediately after he breaks into the NHL).
You should evaluate past drafts a little more if you think a #10 pick that doesn't become a first pairing d-man is a flat out bust.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
You should evaluate past drafts a little more if you think a #10 pick that doesn't become a first pairing d-man is a flat out bust.
i'm well aware of our manny malhotra's and pavel brendl's and al montoya's.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i really dont get why someone would think girardi would become expendable. just because sauer and mcdonagh can become a really good pair doesnt mean they will be a better pair than girardi and staal.

This. Wow.

Girardi is expendable? Really? Really...

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote