HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Today could be Gaborik's last game as a Ranger

Old
04-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Give him one more year so Thomas and Kreider get get a full year of pro hockey under their belts before we send him packing.
Are you expecting Thomas to make the team next year? He can't play in the AHL next season thanks to that stupid rule.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:36 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Are you expecting Thomas to make the team next year? He can't play in the AHL next season thanks to that stupid rule.
I'd love to see him on the team. Would give us someone that isn't afraid to shoot the effing puck lol

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:43 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

You dont deal a guy because of one bad year. He put up 40 goals last year. Last time i checked we dont have anybody on our roster with that kind of scoring ability. He has battled injuries all year. It'd be asinine to deal him.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:57 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
You dont deal a guy because of one bad year. He put up 40 goals last year. Last time i checked we dont have anybody on our roster with that kind of scoring ability. He has battled injuries all year. It'd be asinine to deal him.
If the return was bad I'd agree, but you trade anyone if it makes you better.

Old
04-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post

Considering how badly he's dominated the juniors, I would not be surprised if he made the Rangers next year.

He increased his scoring production by exactly 50% this year from last, and more than doubled it last year over the previous season.

He has 59 goals and 112 points in 72 games this season, including the playoffs. All this as an 18-year-old.

I won't guarantee that he will make the Rangers, but I won't guarantee that he won't make it either.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 06:06 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Considering how badly he's dominated the juniors, I would not be surprised if he made the Rangers next year.

He increased his scoring production by exactly 50% this year from last, and more than doubled it last year over the previous season.

He has 59 goals and 112 points in 72 games this season, including the playoffs. All this as an 18-year-old.

I won't guarantee that he will make the Rangers, but I won't guarantee that he won't make it either.
Agreed, it definately helps Thomas' case that we severely lack scoring...

Old
04-09-2011, 08:34 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Sorry Larry - you fail!
And that is very good news indeed.
Postseason is coming!

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 09:02 PM
NikC

Brooks is a hack. Gaborik isn't going anywhere.

Richards and more scoring are coming next season.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 09:04 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Brooks is a hack. Gaborik isn't going anywhere.

Richards and more scoring are coming next season.
There is a salary cap you know

04-09-2011, 09:08 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
richards and Iginla are coming....

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:19 AM
CM PUNK

i've hated on gaborik plenty this year...but he was hurt alot and never had a real line or center. find a way to bring in brad richards and i think many of us will be eating crow as gabby tears it up like he did last year

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:27 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Even with gaborik having his worst season ever (by most fans), he still = to what Cally's best season has been so far. Everyone talks about how great Cally is.

gaborik - 61 gp - 22 goals - 25 assists - 47 points - -7 - 19:54 ATOI
Cally - 60 gp - 23 goals - 25 assists - 48 points - +6 - 18:03 ATOI
you do realize that points and goals aren't everything right?? cally's value isn't measured by his scoring. he works his tail off, kills penalties, blocks shots, hits people, etc. what does gaborik bring if he isn't scoring?

blocked shots: cally=77, gaborik = 22
hits: cally=224, gaborik = 46

i agree that we sometimes unfairly get on gaborik and assume if he isn't scoring he is being lazy, but this comparison is really bad. no one would get on gaborik for only score 22 goals if he did all the other stuff away from the puck

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:48 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
tell that to glen "houdini" sather

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Does LB really think he will be bought out? That's ****ing stupid. If we wanted to get rid of him, we can at least get a first round pick for him, plus whatever else. But just throwing him away for nothing?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Pizza

If the guy was essentially healthy then there have to be some tough questions asked. I'd love to see him get it all back, but as others have said, if he's healthy and not scoring we got a serious problem.

Some guys thrive in NYC, some don't. He was a machine last year, this year not so much.

It would be great if he lit it up during the playoffs.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:47 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I read an article penned by Gaborik that said this could be Larry's last article. Lucky for both, they were both wrong. I'm convinced Gaborik is playing hurt. He just looks slow - as in not playing Gaborik speed. he can't fool defenders as easily and where he would normal have the speed and agility to buy himself the 1/4 of a second he needed to get the shot he wanted and better position, it's just not there for him. If he is going, I'll stand by my Dustin Brown, Brayden Schenn, 2nd package. But this team really needs a healthy Gaborik to compete at the highest level. A think a healthy 80 point producing Gaborik would have gotten us the 4th seed behind Philly.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Speaking as an Oiler fan, Gaborik would be a great complimentary piece moving forward, sort of how Hossa is in Chicago. They don't need him to produce but he can be a game breaker. Salary isn't a problem as we've got the cap space ($27M, to be exact) to have him be injured/float for a third of the year.

However, I don't think names like Paajarvi or Hemsky would become involved, at least from Tambellini's side. Is Gaborik's situation really all that different from Gomez's? Obviously, there's a large talent gap between the two, but you're still paying a guy $7.5M and it's questionable whether his pros and cons add up to a player worth that much money.

Gomez returned a decent package of U25 talent, even if Higgins was a disappointment and Valentenko has been unable to crack the roster.

Using that trade as a template, is Andrew Cogliano (C/RW, 35 points) Linus Omark (RW, 25 points) a top D prospect (Martin Marincin?) and LA's 1st (19-30) for Gabby and Christensen enough?
Thanks for shiping in with some insight on EDM!

Its a good package no doubt, but the Rangers have depth, and from a cap point of view, three avg players all of a sudden costs more then one franchise player. Quality over quantity for sure in a cap world.

If we deal Gabby, which we only will do if we can sign Richards, our roster look something like this;
Dubi-Richards-Callahan
Stepan-Anisimov-Zucc
Fedetenko-Boyle-Prust
Avery-4th line center-Christensen

The depth is pretty good, but the balance is (way) off offensively. I am a big fan of Omark (I am from the very north of Sweden just like him, and have seen him play since he was 6-7 y/o), and I've played against many "Omarks" (family of Linus) over the year. But he do not even add much to that roster.

What we would need is a, or someone who can become, a very good top 6 player. We have the depth, but not the goto offensive type players.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:16 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Gaborik is injured still,I believe.he is not looking himself.

i am not ready to give up on him,when healthy and on his game,hes amazing.Now if I no brainer deal comes along,then its obvious to move him.Other words keep him around and see what happens.

if Richards gets signed,even better.But who says they will actually click.Time will tell.

LETS GO RANGERS!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
THow can you possibly expect Marian Gaborik to score goals when there is NO ONE on the team to pass him the puck? How can you expect a player who should only be touching the puck right before he has to shoot it to be successful when everytime he's on the ice, he's the one that has to carry it into the offensive zone?
This argument would hold water if he hadn't had a career high in goals and points last season playing with basically the same lineup.

04-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This argument would hold water if he hadn't had a career high in goals and points last season playing with basically the same lineup.
Yep, he just had a bad season. Whether its due to injuries or apathy is anyone's guess. That being said, talented players have off seasons. Look at Teemu Selanne's 2003-2004 season...you think Colorado regrets not retaining him? Imagine if Tampa decided to dump St. Louis after his below average 2005 season...

Stay the course and bring in a playmaker. My money is on Gaborik bouncing back next year.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

07-08 - Last time Gabby was in the playoffs.

I think he turns it up a notch. He can pretty much erase a mediocre regular season if he produces from here on out.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:41 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Speaking as an Oiler fan, Gaborik would be a great complimentary piece moving forward, sort of how Hossa is in Chicago. They don't need him to produce but he can be a game breaker. Salary isn't a problem as we've got the cap space ($27M, to be exact) to have him be injured/float for a third of the year.

However, I don't think names like Paajarvi or Hemsky would become involved, at least from Tambellini's side. Is Gaborik's situation really all that different from Gomez's? Obviously, there's a large talent gap between the two, but you're still paying a guy $7.5M and it's questionable whether his pros and cons add up to a player worth that much money.

Gomez returned a decent package of U25 talent, even if Higgins was a disappointment and Valentenko has been unable to crack the roster.

Using that trade as a template, is Andrew Cogliano (C/RW, 35 points) Linus Omark (RW, 25 points) a top D prospect (Martin Marincin?) and LA's 1st (19-30) for Gabby and Christensen enough?
Actually, yes...in Gomez situation, you had a player that was not worth his contract, and clogging up the cap situation. Gaborik played up to his contract in the 1st year of the contract. As it is pointed out in many salary cap/Brad Richards threads, the Rangers have the ability to retain their RFAs and pursue Richards without having to deal a big salary such as Gaborik's.

And, unlike Gomez' situation, they Rangers are not looking to move Gaborik. Rather, as most reports have stated, Sather is willing to listen, meaning blow him away with an offer and Gaborik can be moved. If the Rangers are moving their only legitimate home-run hitter, (no matter how many warts he may have), they need a stud back, something the Rangers don''t currently have in their system. While the package you offer is competent, those are complementary pieces which are redundant to what the Rangers currently have. I'd have to believe that Paajarvi is the type of player that Sather would insist upon coming back, otherwise, I would not foresee such a deal between the Rangers and Oilers.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Yep, he just had a bad season. Whether its due to injuries or apathy is anyone's guess. That being said, talented players have off seasons. Look at Teemu Selanne's 2003-2004 season...you think Colorado regrets not retaining him? Imagine if Tampa decided to dump St. Louis after his below average 2005 season...

Stay the course and bring in a playmaker. My money is on Gaborik bouncing back next year.
I'm not necessarily in the stay the course camp with him. I have to wonder if there's such a thing as a healthy Gaborik anymore. That, to me is the larger issue, than who his center is.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I agree with you that his health is an issue of concern. I would not be opposed to getting rid of him if not for the fact that I don't see how we could win that trade. We would be giving up the best player and probably getting a nice but redundant piece in return. Also, the chance that Richards can work well with Gaborik is one worth taking if we can get BR.

That said, opponents play Gaborik differently than they did last season. He doesn't have the same time or space.

The goal should be to eventually have Thomas replace Gaborik. Obviously, that may be a stretch, but that should be the goal. Thomas looks very impressive. Still, that will be a process. Gaborik may never be what he once was, but he can be adequate if we get Richards.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The goal should be to eventually have Thomas replace Gaborik. Obviously, that may be a stretch, but that should be the goal. Thomas looks very impressive. Still, that will be a process. Gaborik may never be what he once was, but he can be adequate if we get Richards.
Its a different topic, and although I am drulling as much as anyone when watching Thomas highlights -- it is way to early to put that kind of expectations on him.

Its definitely on par with the over-hype Grachev received, if not worse. Thomas will never make the team out of camp next season, and right now he is far far away from being NHL ready.

We have a kid here who have a chance at becoming a 30-35 + 30 player, which is awsome. We do not have Taylor Hall II, but it sounds like it.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote