HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round 1: New York vs Washington (Game 1: Wed @ 7:30 MSG+, VS)

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2011, 10:44 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
after todays win my gut says NYR in 6 but imma go with us in 7

Old
04-09-2011, 10:44 PM
FultonReed

i'm still buzzed over this. feels so good. i can't stop smiling. same effort as this afternoon only Hank needs to be totally focused and the D a liiiiiittle more solid. all that happens and i really think we could take this series. LGR

Old
04-09-2011, 10:55 PM
broadwayblue

Thank you Lightning!

Got to think that as bad as I felt at MSG thursday night Canes fans were even more dejected tonight. Tough to lose a game at home to clinch a playoff spot, particularly against a team that had basically nothing to play for.

Anyway, glad we got the break for a change. Can't wait for some playoff hockey. Anyone know when the schedule is released?

Old
04-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I think you are completely wrong. Our style of play dominates trapping teams like the Caps. The dump and chase will work to perfection in this series.

We have trouble with teams that put pressure on us in our own end. The caps are good, but I think our D will contain their stars.
not really, it helps to keep the games close, but i wouldnt say dominates. devils beat us twice, bruins games were all close, im just looking at it from a talent perspective, especially from a specialty teams point of view, i just dont see the Rangers matching up all that well against the Caps.

I hope to god im wrong though.

Old
04-09-2011, 10:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not really, it helps to keep the games close, but i wouldnt say dominates. devils beat us twice, bruins games were all close, im just looking at it from a talent perspective, especially from a specialty teams point of view, i just dont see the Rangers matching up all that well against the Caps.

Which playoff teams do we match up well against? lol Nearly all are more talented with the exception of in goal. If we can contain #8 we'll have a fighting chance.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Loffen
Legend

Quote:
i just dont see the Rangers matching up all that well against the Caps.

Our regular season record was 3-1-0 against WSH... But things do change during the POs obviously.

Bottom line, I feel more optimistic now than I did back in 2009.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:01 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I think the key to this series is scoring. Can we finish often enough?

Gabby & Girardi need to find their beast modes ASAP.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:02 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
I feel like we're really going to play well. We've owned Washington all year and have been playing under very high pressure to end the season, playing for our lives. I think this will really help us because we've been in playoff mode. Washington knows the kind of expectations they're facing as the number one seed, but they also know that they're versing a team that's had their number all year. Between the two teams, Washington's going to be the ones that end up holding their sticks a little too tight and in the end won't perform well under pressure. Rangers in 6.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Which playoff teams do we match up well against? lol Nearly all are more talented with the exception of in goal. If we can contain #8 we'll have a fighting chance.
i think we'd beat the Bruins, the Penguins, Flyers, & Sabres. Tampa would be too tough to call. I dont like the way we match against the Habs, id call that a nightmare of a draw. This isn't that much better though. I was praying we'd get the Flyers, I think we'd kill them in a 7 game series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Our regular season record was 3-1-0 against WSH... But things do change during the POs obviously.

Bottom line, I feel more optimistic now than I did back in 2009.
agreed about the optimism, i thought we woudl be swept last time around.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:05 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
BTW very very silly question, but in a hypothetical situation, say the Rangers make it to the finals. By then do you think Cally could possibly return?

Old
04-09-2011, 11:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
i think we'd beat the Bruins, the Penguins, Flyers, & Sabres. Tampa would be too tough to call. I dont like the way we match against the Habs, id call that a nightmare of a draw. This isn't that much better though. I was praying we'd get the Flyers, I think we'd kill them in a 7 game series.
Hopefully you'll have a chance to prove that in the 2nd round. Personally I'm terrified of their depth. Just not sure we could trade goals with them to win 4-3 or 5-4 enough times to take the series.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:08 PM
levski87

Quote:

agreed about the optimism, i thought we woudl be swept last time around.

I think we could beat Boston, maybe Pittsburgh, but not Philly.

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
BTW very very silly question, but in a hypothetical situation, say the Rangers make it to the finals. By then do you think Cally could possibly return?
I think he'll give it his best shot.

Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
i think 4 weeks would be super early, 6 weeks more likely maybe....

7 game series, each series takes about what, 2 weeks? so maybe he could be back by the ECF?

Old
04-09-2011, 11:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Well, if his injury is 6-8 weeks, then possibly. The Cup Finals will be, I think, in June.

It's just pain.
Old
04-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Hopefully you'll have a chance to prove that in the 2nd round. Personally I'm terrified of their depth. Just not sure we could trade goals with them to win 4-3 or 5-4 enough times to take the series.
Quote:
I think we could beat Boston, maybe Pittsburgh, but not Philly.
i disagree, i think Philly might be the easiest draw in the entire playoffs right now. its not about how they played before its how they are playign now. they have ZERO goaltending. will they score 3 or 4 a night? sure, but i think they are giving up 5 or 6 a night.

Their goaltending is laughable.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:10 PM
levski87

Quote:

The Caps are more talented, but I feel if we will grind them into the ground if our forechecking is running on all cylinders. Plus, their goaltenders don't even scare me.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

since Februrary 21st the Flyers have exactly 1 win against a team in the playoffs.

They are DONE.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:12 PM
levski87

Quote:
i disagree, i think Philly might be the easiest draw in the entire playoffs right now. its not about how they played before its how they are playign now. they have ZERO goaltending. will they score 3 or 4 a night? sure, but i think they are giving up 5 or 6 a night.

Their goaltending is laughable.
Question would be is our offense up to scoring 4-5 a night? I just think Philly is too deep and we won't be able to contain them.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
The Caps are more talented, but I feel if we will grind them into the ground if our forechecking is running on all cylinders. Plus, their goaltenders don't even scare me.
no, they dont particularly scare me either, but they arent as AWFUL as phillys goaltenders either.

I think this game is going to be won on the specialty teams. If the Rangers can play even with the Caps on speciality teams, they will win this series.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:13 PM
ecemleafs

callys playing with a cast in his skates. i expect out there 1st game in DC.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Question would be is our offense up to scoring 4-5 a night? I just think Philly is too deep and we won't be able to contain them.
see, our offense would be, because its either 4 or 5, or 1 or 2. I think against the caps its going to take 2-4 to win, and its that middle ground that screws with us lol.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:15 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I love that we're playing the Caps. A team full, aside from a select few, of unprofessional players with bad playoff experience.

Pronger, Briere, Richards and Giroux have that experience in the playoffs, and maintain composure better then most. These guys know how to rebound.

Yes, 09 playoffs sting, but it doesn't change the fact that Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom and Green have not, and will never be known for what they get done in the playoffs.

Callahan would have been phenomenal to have, but I think the Capitals are the best matchup for a Callahan-less Rangers team.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i would not be at all surprised if the Flyers were swept out.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:18 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
us winning would not be the most shocking thing in the world
A little surprising at best. The Canes losing today was a hell of a lot more shocking than that would be.

Closed Thread