HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fix what Ails the Kings....

Old
04-09-2011, 10:45 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Fix what Ails the Kings....

Ok,

So, ready....set....go.

Remember to abide by the rules, gotta keep all you loving folks around for playoff time.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:12 PM
nki

Dean "12 Mike Riccis and 6 Bryan Marchments" Lombardi and Terry "the black hole of creativity" Murray. The team badly needs an injection of skill but at the same time I'm not even sure if Murray would know how to use it, remember what Penner looked like before he became "familiar" with the system? Seems like the Kings are running on an outdated philosophy, you can't win in the NHL anymore by grinding out 2-1 wins, we're in that Nashville/Phoenix/Minnesota/Calgary group, never going to be confused for a contender and a galaxy away from Vancouver/Detroit/Chicago and even San Jose, heck maybe even Anaheim.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:14 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Dean "12 Mike Riccis and 6 Bryan Marchments" Lombardi and Terry "the black hole of creativity" Murray. The team badly needs an injection of skill but at the same time I'm not even sure if Murray would know how to use it, remember what Penner looked like before he became "familiar" with the system? Seems like the Kings are running on an outdated philosophy, you can't win in the NHL anymore by grinding out 2-1 wins, we're in that Nashville/Phoenix/Minnesota/Calgary group, never going to be confused for a contender and a landscape away from Vancouver/Detroit/Chicago and even San Jose.
LOL @ the 6 Bryan Marchments, as Doughty, Johnson, Martinez remind anyone of Marchment.....but ok...

As far as grinding out 2-1 wins, and teams like Van/Det/Chi...

Question for you, what about Van/Det/Chi, stands out for you, besides Sedin/Sedin, Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Toews/Kane....

Old
04-09-2011, 11:29 PM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL @ the 6 Bryan Marchments, as Doughty, Johnson, Martinez remind anyone of Marchment.....but ok...

As far as grinding out 2-1 wins, and teams like Van/Det/Chi...

Question for you, what about Van/Det/Chi, stands out for you, besides Sedin/Sedin, Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Toews/Kane....
Hey I'm just quoting what Dean said.

Well for starters they all have vastly superior coaching and a system that encourages creativity not stifles it. Although I'm not going to blame Murray entirely seeing how he's left with a roster short on skill. As for what stands out to me? What else should stand out to me side from having a ******** more of skill in their lineups and each of them having at least two elite players up front? What do the Kings have comparable? You forgot Kesler, Hossa, Sharp, all of which are better than anything Kings have aside from maybe Kopitar. For the Kings to join those teams they'll have to add a lot more skill to their lineup in addition to at least one more elite player and update their system because I'm willing to bet that they're not getting past 2nd round with what's Murray running now regardless of players.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:34 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Hey I'm just quoting what Dean said.

Well for starters they all have vastly superior coaching and a system that encourages creativity not stifles it. Although I'm not going to blame Murray entirely seeing how he's left with a roster short on skill. As for what stands out to me? What else should stand out to me side from having a ******** more of skill in their lineups and each of them having at least two elite players up front? What do the Kings have comparable? You forgot Kesler, Hossa, Sharp, all of which are better than anything Kings have aside from maybe Kopitar. For the Kings to join those teams they'll have to add a lot more skill to their lineup in addition to at least one more elite player and update their system because I'm willing to bet that they're not getting past 2nd round with what's Murray running now regardless of players.
They spent years where PHX, LA, SJ, etc are now, learning to be responsibly defensively.

The Kings are fine where they are now, the loss of Kopitar and Williams hurts, and yea, the addition of another skill forward will definitely help, but if they aren't defensively responsible, you aren't going to win no matter how many goals you score on average...

Old
04-09-2011, 11:47 PM
nki

Quote:
They spent years where PHX, LA, SJ, etc are now, learning to be responsibly defensively.

The Kings are fine where they are now, the loss of Kopitar and Williams hurts, and yea, the addition of another skill forward will definitely help, but if they aren't defensively responsible, you aren't going to win no matter how many goals you score on average...
Agreed, however I think Murray's time here is done and a more balanced coach should be brought in by the end of next season at the latest. In the meantime I hope we get some more skill up, either through prospects, free agency or trade. We'll probably have to luck out on getting another elite player here though, I hope Schenn ends up being that guy.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:51 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Agreed, however I think Murray's time here is done and a more balanced coach should be brought in by the end of next season at the latest. In the meantime I hope we get some more skill up, either through prospects, free agency or trade. We'll probably have to luck out on getting another elite player here though, I hope Schenn ends up being that guy.
I don't think it is, you will have Schenn, Lotkionov coming up, along with Clifford, Simmonds, Martinez, Westgarth, etc being very young, and you can't argue with results, he is one of the winningest coaches in NHL history, and he has a young team winning with back to back 40+ win seasons.

The offense woes can be directly related to the PP woes, we improve the power play, it leads to more goals, etc...

As much as everyone wants to point fingers, they don't realize how well Murray has done with such a young team, all they see is the latest game, or the latest goal against, or the latest shot, they don't see a bigger picture at all...

Old
04-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Since Murray has been the coach of the Kings, the Kings 5-on-5 scoring is 28th in the NHL.

They only scored 3 more goals this year versus last year 5-on-5. This with Smyth and Williams playing more games and Penner added at the deadline.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:14 AM
sweatypickle

Brad Richards would be nice...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:15 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Since Murray has been the coach of the Kings, the Kings 5-on-5 scoring is 28th in the NHL.

They only scored 3 more goals this year versus last year 5-on-5. This with Smyth and Williams playing more games and Penner added at the deadline.
And? If there were absolutely no power plays allowed in the league, you would have a point....

Old
04-10-2011, 12:18 AM
OK Computer

Quote:
And? If there were absolutely no power plays allowed in the league, you would have a point....
You do realize that we are absolutely awful on the PP at the moment, right?

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:20 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
You do realize that we are absolutely awful on the PP at the moment, right?
Absolutely, well, 18 shots tonight on the power play, not sure if that is as awful as it could be,

But yes, in general,

I am assuming you didn't read the post where I said if they improve their power play, their goals for goes up quite a bit, and no one is *****ing about not scoring goals....

Just assuming there though...

Old
04-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I don't care we have a winnign record or Murray is the winningest coach or whatever.

Fact is he can't carry a team to the cup.
There is not cup for fewest goals against or best whatever.
If you want the Stanley Cup you have to dominate other teams.
And this is one of the biggest issues i have with Murray.
He is just a reacting guy, he doesn't know how to act.
Absolutely every player loses his scoring touch and i pray that players like Schenn, Loktionov or Toffoly are kept away from the KIngs as long as Murray is here

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:23 AM
OK Computer

Quote:
Absolutely, well, 18 shots tonight on the power play, not sure if that is as awful as it could be,

But yes, in general,

I am assuming you didn't read the post where I said if they improve their power play, their goals for goes up quite a bit, and no one is *****ing about not scoring goals....

Just assuming there though...
And just assuming here that you have watched more than 5 games this year, but ...

It's been the exact same story all year long on the PP. Nothing changed, no improvements were made, nothing new was tried. But hey, as long as we just *fix that PP!* everything will be a-okay! Just as easy to do it as it is to say it, right?

Old
04-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Can't fix anything until July 1. The lack of finish, speed and passing is a glaring weakness. They are well covered in net and on defense, but offensively, they are lacking talent. They need more creativity, and this group of players isn't going to improve in that area. Look at how many veteran forwards the Kings have on the roster. Aside from bringing in fresh faces like Schenn or Loktionov, the Kings need to bring in a speedy winger who can generate offense.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:25 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
I don't care we have a winnign record or Murray is the winningest coach or whatever.

Fact is he can't carry a team to the cup.
There is not cup for fewest goals against or best whatever.
If you want the Stanley Cup you have to dominate other teams.
And this is one of the biggest issues i have with Murray.
He is just a reacting guy, he doesn't know how to act.
Absolutely every player loses his scoring touch and i pray that players like Schenn, Loktionov or Toffoly are kept away from the KIngs as long as Murray is here
Every player loses his scoring touch?

The Kings have 6 twenty goal scorers, 5 if you don't include Penner....

At least know what you are talking about...

Old
04-10-2011, 12:26 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
And just assuming here that you have watched more than 5 games this year, but ...

It's been the exact same story all year long on the PP. Nothing changed, no improvements were made, nothing new was tried. But hey, as long as we just *fix that PP!* everything will be a-okay! Just as easy to do it as it is to say it, right?
Says more about Kompon, than Murray, agreed?

Old
04-10-2011, 12:28 AM
OK Computer

Quote:
Says more about Kompon, than Murray, agreed?
Sure, but the Head Coach should be held accountable as well for other members of his staff being morons; or at least, that's how I feel when it comes to sports.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:31 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Sure, but the Head Coach should be held accountable as well for other members of his staff being morons; or at least, that's how I feel when it comes to sports.
Funny, I figure the guy in charge of the PP should be held accountable.

I don't know if we see Kompon back or not next year.

I know we see Murray back next year...

Old
04-10-2011, 12:35 AM
OK Computer

Quote:
Funny, I figure the guy in charge of the PP should be held accountable.

I don't know if we see Kompon back or not next year.

I know we see Murray back next year...
So the HEAD COACH isn't responsible for sitting back and watching this garbage, instead of letting the guy in charge of the PP know that he needs to get his **** together? Okay then...

And if anything, Kompon will be the scapegoat in the offseason so DL doesn't have to fire his buttbuddy Murray.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:38 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
So the HEAD COACH isn't responsible for sitting back and watching this garbage, instead of letting the guy in charge of the PP know that he needs to get his **** together? Okay then...

And if anything, Kompon will be the scapegoat in the offseason so DL doesn't have to fire his buttbuddy Murray.
Oh wait, you had ears on the bench and in the locker room? Oh crap, I didn't know that...

By all means, go ahead and tell us what happened between the two....

Oh wait...you cant...why not? Oh...wait..you don't really know what happened, you just think you did because you wanted something, anything by golly to happen,

Next time I will catch that....

BTW, just curious, what happened between 2009-2010 when we had the PP clicking, and 2010-2011 where it wasn't, what exactly was changed?

Old
04-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Every player loses his scoring touch?

The Kings have 6 twenty goal scorers, 5 if you don't include Penner....

At least know what you are talking about...
I thinks he's talking about Moulson, Purcell and Boyle all scoring away from Murray. Plus Poni and Penner becoming a shell of their former self under Murray.

Simmonds hasn't progressed as much as most thought he would. Brown has stepped up recently, but again will fall below 30 goals and he had some long scoring droughts.

Both Johnson and Doughty have not progressed under Murray.

BTW, 5-on-5 offense is one of the most important indicators of a strong team. Even Murray says it is the most important facet of the game and he has the Kings 28th in the NHL since he's been here. They are 20th over the last 2 seasons.

Having 5 players score 20 goals and still be 25th in the NHL in goals tells me that the Kings have the skill to score goals, just not the plan. The Kings need more scoring from the bottom 6 and Murray's system will not generate enough chances for them to get more goals. The defense needs to score more too, but they are almost always glued to the blue line.

Phoenix is 13 in the NHL on offense and they have 1 20 goal scorer. Something tells me that they have a better system than the Kings. Put the Kings players in their system and you will see a top 10 NHL offense and maybe even a division winner.

Quote:
BTW, just curious, what happened between 2009-2010 when we had the PP clicking, and 2010-2011 where it wasn't, what exactly was changed?
This is why the 5-on-5 scoring is so important. The PP is not a reliable indicator of a strong team.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:44 AM
OK Computer

Quote:
Oh wait, you had ears on the bench and in the locker room? Oh crap, I didn't know that...

By all means, go ahead and tell us what happened between the two....

Oh wait...you cant...why not? Oh...wait..you don't really know what happened, you just think you did because you wanted something, anything by golly to happen,

Next time I will catch that....

I knew you'd be a smartass with your numerous redundant comments about not knowing what goes on. But let me spell it out for you...

I dont know what happened, I can only assume the things I said because ABSOLUETLY NO EFFORT WAS MADE TO CHANGE ANYTHING ON THE PP. The same crap over and over again. The same players who SHOULDNT BE ON THE ICE being sent onto the ice over and over again. The same schemes, the same garbage. I am willing to take a chance and say if Terry Murray did what he was supposed to, would have seen something DIFFERENT at the very least ATTEMPTED on the ice.

And the Power Play seems to be a crapshoot from year to year in the NHL. If that makes mediocrity okay for you, and not holding coaches accountable fine with you as well, then so be it. But if I had to take a guess, it's the predictability of the PP that's killing it. Not only is Kompon at fault there, but our players seem to be doing the exact same things they did in the Vancouver series last year, and the league scouted that crap in the offseason; it ain't working. I'd like to see my coach take some responsibility and tell guys like DD to stop doing the same thing on every single PP. Hey, if our players are stupid or something and don't listen, that's one thing. But I'm going to ASSUME, once again, that TM did not do what he was supposed to do, because that is the most likely scenario.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:46 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

"Remember, whenever life gets you down. There is always beer..."

There at least my problems are fixed...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:50 AM
damacles1156

Sjmay, you're wasting your time bro. These people will not be satisfied till another coach is brought in.

That coach will fail as well cause it's the players not the coach. And they will want him fired as well.

It's a never ending cycle till you get Difference makers on the ice. Players make coaches look good. Not the other way around.

For all the success Tippet has had, only twice has he advanced out of the first round. Trotz.......Never out of the first round. Even coaching Rudolov and Forsberg. Those two were not enough to get a Trotz coached team out of the first round.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote