HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 11:27 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
@ the last two post.

Old
04-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I personally think his move to NY is a forgone conclusion at this point. Both sides want it.
New to the thread and haven't read all the way through it. How do we know Brad wants to go to New York?

We've heard all kinds of whispers down here, mostly that he wants to return to the east and his first choice would be Tampa, but I've not heard anything about his preference being NY. Just curious.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:01 PM
levski87

Does Tamps Bay have the cap space to resign all their guys AND Richards?

Old
04-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Does Tamps Bay have the cap space to resign all their guys AND Richards?
Yes, it could be done, but that's not what I was asking. I don't know where he'll wind up - frankly, we have other needs to address that would serve us better. I'm just wondering where it's been established that he wants to go to NY, as it's something we haven't heard down here.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Not that I necessarily think what SSM was proposing is actually going to happen, but all of those players with the exception of Avery are garbage and need to be parted with. Not winners. Not essential to winning.

Avery, IMO, is another player suffering from the poor construction of the Rangers, like Drury and Gaborik. He could be a useful player if properly managed.

As for Kreider and Hagelin both making the team, I don't think it's likely. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Very strong possibility that Hagelin makes the team, I agree. But I'd imagine something more like:

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Valentenko-TBD (probably McCabe, he'd actually be truly useful if he was on the PP with Richards)

Lundqvist
Biron

Can't see Kreider cracking this team.

That's an imposing hockey club. That's a club that can roll some strong all-around lines at you.

Then, MAYBE at the next trade deadline, you look to make that move that puts you over the top if the team is playing well. Like a package of Girardi and Boyle and a mid-level prospect and/or a pick to get yourself a legit offensive defenseman to play with Staal. You move up a prospect to fill Boyle's place.
Del Zotto? And I highly doubt we re-sign Prospal when we could easily replace him with Kreider or maybe even Thomas.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
Del Zotto? And I highly doubt we re-sign Prospal when we could easily replace him with Kreider or maybe even Thomas.
I like Vinny alot but the only way he comes back is if they miss out on Richards which they could. Otherwise money has to go to BR , RFA's and thats that. Adding more kids at lower contracts is a good thing but they have so many I am thinking that DZ and Vtank close out the bottom D pairing. Eminger as the 7th if he takes a cut. Gilroy needs to go , 1.7 million is ridiculous for him. I really hope they dont sign him to a 2 yr 700K per but I'm afraid they might and try and convert him into a Dandenault type utility spare. At 27 dont tell me he's still young

upfront I think Grachev may surprise and this may be expecting to much but I think Hagelin can come out of college and make the team

Would love Kreider but can he not stay in college for another yr?

Old
04-10-2011, 12:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
When a player is playing like Prospal has, you don't get rid of him in the hope that a kid can step up, imo.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
I don't know man. Prospal has been good for us. He finished the season with 23p in 29g. I don't think we can expect that from Kreider or Thomas their rookie year. Maybe in a few years, but not their rookie year.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
New to the thread and haven't read all the way through it. How do we know Brad wants to go to New York?

We've heard all kinds of whispers down here, mostly that he wants to return to the east and his first choice would be Tampa, but I've not heard anything about his preference being NY. Just curious.

We don't, but obviously there are a lot of reasons to think NY is pretty high on his list.

-Most career success Richards ever had was under Torts, and the two still maintain a warm relationship.

-Original 6 team, which I believe he has indicated he would like to play for if possible.

-Easiest travel schedule in the league.

-Good young team on the upswing with an obvious hole for the exact roles he fills.

-Stable ownership and a reputation for doing everything first class for its players.

- Gets to play in a big city, yet the Rangers far fall enough down on the NY sporting landscape that you don't see the same media focus and pressure that you get in places like Toronto and Montreal.

-Finally, and possibly most important, a GM who loves to spend money. Good for both Richards and the fact that Slats will always spend to try and better the team, something that may be important to Brad after dealing with the current Stars cash flow situation.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:17 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I don't know man. Prospal has been good for us. He finished the season with 23p in 29g. I don't think we can expect that from Kreider or Thomas their rookie year. Maybe in a few years, but not their rookie year.
I agree with you 100%. You are not going to find anyone that will bring anything close to Prospal's production (and leadership value) relative to his cost.

Assuming he's willing to take another 1 year deal like his current one, Prospal should absolutely be brought back. Hopefully we'll be able to stick Richards on a line between Prospal and Gaborik next year.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
We don't, but obviously there are a lot of reasons to think NY is pretty high on his list.
No doubt, but it was said "both sides want it," which sounded like it was a known fact. I was just curious.

Quote:
-Most career success Richards ever had was under Torts, and the two still maintain a warm relationship.
True. Brad said one of the weirdest things when he was traded was sitting down and talking to Torts not as his coach.

Quote:
-Original 6 team, which I believe he has indicated he would like to play for if possible.
I've heard this also, but with the clarification that he really just wants to get back to the east.

Quote:
-Good young team on the upswing with an obvious hole for the exact roles he fills.

-Stable ownership and a reputation for doing everything first class for its players.
Bonuses - which also now hold true for Tampa, as well. Added to that the fact that he still has a home here and two of his best friends still play here. Seriously, tho, as I said elsewhere, while we have heard from many sources that Tampa would be his first choice (and that he'd be willing to sign for a discount to accomplish it), that doesn't mean he thinks it's probable, or that Yzerman would even be interested considering we've got to think about out situation in goal and on D.

Quote:
-Finally, and possibly most important, a GM who loves to spend money. Good for both Richards and the fact that Slats will always spend to try and better the team, something that may be important to Brad after dealing with the current Stars cash flow situation.
I think ownership stability is very high on Richards' list of requirements. That also now applies to Tampa - we have a stable owner with deep pockets and a GM with permission to spend. That GM is a bit on the conservative side, however, and I'm not sure he'd feel the necessary investment to land Richards would be something he'd want to do.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I agree Vinny has been great but IF and its a big IF they sign Richards and then the RFA's what money will they have left? Prospal will have to get a similar contract and a few months ago we thought he may never come back.

Prospal and Fedotenko have been great for the team but I cant see how they fit under the cap if we sign Richards. Otherwise yea bring them both back

Old
04-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
No doubt, but it was said "both sides want it," which sounded like it was a known fact. I was just curious.

True. Brad said one of the weirdest things when he was traded was sitting down and talking to Torts not as his coach.

I've heard this also, but with the clarification that he really just wants to get back to the east.

Bonuses - which also now hold true for Tampa, as well. Added to that the fact that he still has a home here and two of his best friends still play here. Seriously, tho, as I said elsewhere, while we have heard from many sources that Tampa would be his first choice (and that he'd be willing to sign for a discount to accomplish it), that doesn't mean he thinks it's probable, or that Yzerman would even be interested considering we've got to think about out situation in goal and on D.

I think ownership stability is very high on Richards' list of requirements. That also now applies to Tampa - we have a stable owner with deep pockets and a GM with permission to spend. That GM is a bit on the conservative side, however, and I'm not sure he'd feel the necessary investment to land Richards would be something he'd want to do.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up in Tampa either. The difference is I know that the Rangers want him, whereas I'm not sure Tampa feels that that is the best way to spend the money.

Also don't discount the travel schedule either. That can become pretty important for veterans with families.

Old
04-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up in Tampa either. The difference is I know that the Rangers want him, whereas I'm not sure Tampa feels that that is the best way to spend the money.
Exactly. I would think Yzerman's focus would be more in the net and another D. I love Brad and, like you, I wouldn't be shocked to see him here, but if I had to choose I think I'd prefer they pursue a goalie first. If Yzerman could accomplish both - yowzah!

Quote:
Also don't discount the travel schedule either. That can become pretty important for veterans with families.
I've lost track a bit of Brad since he left here - not sure about his family situation. I know he calls Tampa home, has some of his closest friends here, still has his house here and spends a great deal of the off season here. As said, tho, while it could be his first choice, I'm sure he's aware that doesn't mean it's the most realistic.

Old
04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:

I was referring to the fact that NY made their interest for BR known at the deadline and it was reported by the top TSN guys that he only would go to NY. When you put that together with the Torts-Richards relationship and how perfect a fit he would be (i.e. 1st line center, PP point guy)... and it seems like a fairly good bet. I didn't mean to imply that there were any concrete facts involved... as my post was more of a solid hunch. I thought that "personally" would take care of that, but everyone reads things differently.

Old
04-10-2011, 01:17 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

How does Tampa have money to sign Richards when they have to sign Stamkos?

I also don't think they need another C.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:50 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Dallas misses the playoffs.... Richards is as good as ours.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I'd be totally shocked if Drury doesn't come back to play his final year. Not sure what you guys are doing making line-ups without him in there.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Blueshirt Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'd be totally shocked if Drury doesn't come back to play his final year. Not sure what you guys are doing making line-ups without him in there.
Good point. especially if he has impact in the playoffs.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:14 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
You're assuming the team invites him back. Granted, if he manages to light it up on the post season they could decide to let him play out his contract. But otherwise he had his second dismal season in a row and you have to think 1 goal for 7M ain't gonna cut it. Buying him out would free up the necessary space to accommodate Richards.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Who gives a **** what he wants? You buy his ass out.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who gives a **** what he wants? You buy his ass out.
He has to let you buy him out. Full NMC. You can't even waive him unless he approves it.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If Drury single handedly carries us to the ECF, then thats one thing.

If we're a 5 game out in the first round and he isn't a factor, its something else entirely.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He has to let you buy him out. Full NMC. You can't even waive him unless he approves it.
Que? How does he have any say in whether his contract is bought out or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If Drury single handedly carries us to the ECF, then thats one thing.

If we're a 5 game out in the first round and he isn't a factor, its something else entirely.
I don't even think it comes down to how he plays in the playoffs... If the Rangers can land Brad Richards, adios Chris Drury.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:34 PM
azrok22

A NMC does not prevent a team from buying out a player.

This has been discussed here elsewhere on this board (probably the Drury thread), but I don't have time to go find it now.

Closed Thread