HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: New York vs Washington (Game 1: Wed @ 7:30 MSG+, VS)

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
msv957

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
They have 4 more wins and 6 more loser points. I'd hardly call that a dominant advantage. A better team? Offensively, absolutely. They have Ovechkin and his posse. We have Hank, the best goalie in the NHL.
exactly.... Over an 82 game season the Caps have 4 more wins and 6 more loser points than the Rangers.

This is an real even match up here. The Rangers have the better TEAM statistics and have Hank in Goal.

I am not sure you can say the Caps are better offensively as the Rangers scored more goals than the Caps this year. However, Ovechkin is a freak and could dominate. Gaborik has the potential to dominate also but for whatever reason he has not this year.

But.... it all goes back to the goaltending as the teams are real close to being even besides goaltending

Old
04-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If we didn't get in this would be the series i'd pay the most attention to. Should be absolutely amazing. The only series i'm not a huge fan of is TB-Pens, but I hope TB can smack them around.
Yeah, same.

And TB should beat the Crosby/Malkin-less Pens. They just have to.

Old
04-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I remember in the series against Pitt, special teams killed us. ****ing Hollweg in Game 3, Pens scored on the PP after his boarding penalty. Whenever we had a PP, which was a rare occasion with that officiating (Drury gushing blood from a high stick - no call), we couldn't convert.

Against Washington the following year, we were very undisciplined towards the end of the series and it hurt us. This series could very well become a special teams battle. The PK has to be sharp. My expectations for the PP? Well, just make sure the puck is in their end more than ours...
Yeah, we had the best PK in the league, but Pittsburg just destroyed it.

Old
04-10-2011, 11:51 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Yeah, same.

And TB should beat the Crosby/Malkin-less Pens. They just have to.
That is a big reason why just making it into the playoffs this year has extra meaning. Not having to go through Crosby opens things up a bit.

Old
04-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
I think of all teams that made the playoffs in the East, Washington is the best matchup for us. They aren't overly fast, not overly deep, don't have great defense or goaltending.

I think we should be able to beat them rather easily, the x-factor would be our inferior coach with his line jugglings, benchings, etc.
Natrually Washington is the favorites, but match the two teams lineups against each other, and I think we tops them in many areas (anyone have the projected Caps lineup for the series, their lines been a mess lately...).

They have the PP edge over us big time, and the PP is so important in the PO's. That gives them the edge overall. But 2nd line against 2nd line, 3rd line against 3rd line, 4th line against 4th line, PK against PK, goalie against goalie -- we get the edge in a lot of those matchups looking at the personell.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:09 PM
nyrfan1026

rangers/caps is easily the most intriguing series, all the pressure is on wash to not choke. OV vs staal is going to be an intense matchup. keep in mind folks, a MUCH WORSE rangers team nearly beat a MUCH BETTER caps team just 2 seasons ago. IMO if zherdev didnt disappear, rangers win that series.
should be a fun one guys, we are such a young team and the playoff experience will be great for the development of stepan, AA, boyle etc. who will see an extended role with the injury of callahan.
looking forward to a big series from gaborik and dubi, having drury out there and actually being productive will be a huge plus...
with a motivated and determined lundqvist in net, we have a significant advantage in net.. who knows if neuvirth ( who i believe boudreau will give the job to) will crack...
considering our regular season dominance, i'm real confident, and i'm usually the most pessismitic person out there...
rangers in 6?

anyone else think that boston is going to DESTROY montreal?

Old
04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
boxcar
we want MOORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I feel like we're really going to play well. We've owned Washington all year and have been playing under very high pressure to end the season, playing for our lives. I think this will really help us because we've been in playoff mode. Washington knows the kind of expectations they're facing as the number one seed, but they also know that they're versing a team that's had their number all year. Between the two teams, Washington's going to be the ones that end up holding their sticks a little too tight and in the end won't perform well under pressure. Rangers in 6.

beat me to it King. my thoughts exactly except i think you throw out the season series results. I was at the Caps/FLA game on weds & WAS looked awfull (they won in spite of it) except for OV who will be a BEAST to contain this postseason. NY is used to playing playoff like games for the last 2 months, question is - do they have enough left? i say YES

Old
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I think the Capitals win this matchup like they did in 09.

But I think it will be close, possibly 7 games again. If Staal and Girardi can shut things down and the team blocks shots like crazy it could get frustrating for Ovechkin & Co., the hard part is just sustaining that long enough to win 4 games.

Huge opportunity for young Rangers such as Stepan, Sauer and McDonagh to play in their very first playoffs.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Anyone have a list of Washington injuries/projected lines?

Old
04-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Anyone have a list of Washington injuries/projected lines?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/wa...#roster_report

Old
04-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Crease

Since the NHL switched the current playoff format in 1994 -- seeding teams 1-8 in a conference format -- the No. 8 seed has upset the No. 1 seed nine times in 32 tries (28.1 percent). The last time an 8 seed beat the 1 seed was last year, when Montreal beat Washington in 7 games.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If Prospal doesn't make his return for the homestretch of the season, I don't think we make the playoffs. Worth noting in the offseason.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Captain Monglobster

If this young team plays loose with nothing to lose, they could absolutely win this series. Even if they don't they will still get valuable playoff experience, and this already highly successful season will end with an added bonus.

This team should be proud of itself already. Everything from here on is free money.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
If Prospal doesn't make his return for the homestretch of the season, I don't think we make the playoffs. Worth noting in the offseason.

I agree. I also don't know if we do it without the Roszival trade, mainly for giving McD a chance to come up and play great defense (better than Rozi was, imo) but also for Wolski in the shootout.

edit- I also think we should resign Vinny P.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:42 PM
IAMREALITY

I see absolutely no reason why we can't beat Washington. None. In fact, there are only two teams that scare me in the playoffs, and that's Montreal and Tampa bay. In fact, I think a big story is in the making having us and Torts against Tampa bay in the ECF.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

This will be an interesting series. The biggest question is going to be whether we can sustain our forecheck. Washington's weak defense will struggle if we can play along the boards. Boyle, Prust, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, and Ansimov are going to be key, but we're also gonna need the other guys to muck it up plenty, too.

RANGERS =
Old
04-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

There are a few things that have to happen for the Rangers to win this series.

1. Lundqvist must be great.

2. We must get more power plays than penalties. Stay out of the box. Washington has the #2 ranked PK in the NHL.

3. We must control possession and score goals from the grind at even strength. This makes the Prust and Anisimov lines especially important.

4. Gaborik must make an appearance, in at least 2 games.

5. Staal-Girardi must play like Staal-Girardi, and our rookie dmen cannot falter.

Old
04-10-2011, 01:31 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
4. Gaborik must make an appearance, in at least 2 games
Way things have been going, I think that out of all your points that the Gaborik one is the only real question mark.

Old
04-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Prospal is one of the most undervalued player on this team. Slow, maybe, but he's hell of a player and person! Being injured and out for such a a long time, then ending up 0.8 PPG, amazing!Love this guy

Old
04-10-2011, 01:46 PM
92hatchattack

Whens the first game? Wednesday?

Old
04-10-2011, 01:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Let me give you two g00d reasons why the Rangers can beat the Caps.

7-0, 6-0.

If the Rangers win the series, Boudreau will be fired. He will be coaching nervous. I expect his goaltendes will spend the entire series looking over their shoulder knowing one bad goal and they will be watching from the press box.

I don't predict results but I do predict this series will be the coming out party for some of our young players.

Old
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
NBC just said Wednesday @ 7 on Versus

Old
04-10-2011, 02:02 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
We will know tonight at 10

Old
04-10-2011, 02:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

W-F-Su.

Read post #197

Old
04-10-2011, 02:14 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Let me give you two g00d reasons why the Rangers can beat the Caps.

7-0, 6-0.

If the Rangers win the series, Boudreau will be fired. He will be coaching nervous. I expect his goaltendes will spend the entire series looking over their shoulder knowing one bad goal and they will be watching from the press box.

I don't predict results but I do predict this series will be the coming out party for some of our young players.
The two weakest coaches in the playoffs are Boudreau and Julien, both of whom coach teams who the Rangers could easily beat.

Closed Thread