HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Havlat will have an outstanding season

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2005, 04:00 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

vCash: 500
Havlat will have an outstanding season

If he gets to play on teh first line with Spezza and Alfie, I wouldnt be surprised if he will be the top scorer for the sens, and top 5 goal scorer in the league.

Last season he still managed to get in 15th place in goals, despite missing a part of the season due to a contract dispute, despite playing under Jacques Martin, despite beeing on the 3rd line most of the season, despite getting fewer minutes per game than Mike Fisher.

Add the good offensive chemistry he has shown with spezza last year, remove the 2-line, and Redden will feed him many breakaway.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:03 PM
The Big Rig

I heard he was living in Montreal over the summer and had hired himself a personal trainer. I wonder if he'll show up to camp bulked up quite a bit as Hossa did two years ago? That would sure lend itself well to having an outstanding season.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Sens4Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrow
I heard he was living in Montreal over the summer and had hired himself a personal trainer. I wonder if he'll show up to camp bulked up quite a bit as Hossa did two years ago? That would sure lend itself well to having an outstanding season.
That would be awesome as he can hopefully play 80 games or more and avoid injury. Then he'd totally be an 80 or 90 point guy and 35-45 goals.

Old
08-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Don Draper

when havlat complained about the redline being taken out, the guys from the TEAM had him on, and they were marveling afterwards about how huge he looked compared to years prior. That could spell great things for us, and him this year.

Old
08-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Flyers dom NHL

i love havlats game. hes one of my favorite players in the nhl. hes fast, has good hands, and hes a ***** on the ice. even though im a die hard flyers fan and he never came off the bench to fight anyone against the flyers that one game 2 years ago i still love him.

Old
08-06-2005, 12:12 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
when havlat complained about the redline being taken out, the guys from the TEAM had him on, and they were marveling afterwards about how huge he looked compared to years prior. That could spell great things for us, and him this year.
Wow, thats outstanding news!

Seriousely though, he is going to surprise ALOT of people this year.

Old
08-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Air

I really hope he grew up as well as bulked up, though. That kicking stunt last year was not cool.

Old
08-06-2005, 01:20 AM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers dom NHL
i love havlats game. hes one of my favorite players in the nhl. hes fast, has good hands, and hes a ***** on the ice. even though im a die hard flyers fan and he never came off the bench to fight anyone against the flyers that one game 2 years ago i still love him.
To be fair, Martin sent him to the box to serve a team bench minor, so he couldn't really fight..

Old
08-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Fighter
Legend

I love havlat as well, this year i expect not less than 80 points with about 35-40 goals: no, I'm not dreaming, he can do that, especially if Spezza improve his game as expected.

Old
08-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
He knows about the new drug testing rules. right?

Old
08-06-2005, 11:28 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air
I really hope he grew up as well as bulked up, though. That kicking stunt last year was not cool.
He was suspended twice in one season, for kicking Cairns and his cross-check stunt against Recchi.

You're not helping out your team with stunts like that.

Fortunately, he's young and can still change his ways.

Old
08-06-2005, 12:11 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
If the referrees actually call the penalties when the NHL comes back he will be less likely to resort to some of those things.

Recchi was draped all over him before he hit back. In fact.watch Havlat in almost any game and he is wearing a couple of players. For a talented but skinny little 22 year old,its little wonder he reacted as he did.

Havlat is not a player who goes head hunting or attmpts to injure. He snaps back when the interference gets out of hand.

I'm glad he has an edge,hopefully he can harness it in a more useful way as he gets older.

Old
08-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty
If the referrees actually call the penalties when the NHL comes back he will be less likely to resort to some of those things.

Recchi was draped all over him before he hit back. In fact.watch Havlat in almost any game and he is wearing a couple of players. For a talented but skinny little 22 year old,its little wonder he reacted as he did.

Havlat is not a player who goes head hunting or attmpts to injure. He snaps back when the interference gets out of hand.

I'm glad he has an edge,hopefully he can harness it in a more useful way as he gets older.
I wouldn't be surprise if he outscores Hossa. Hossa will always be a more complete player... but Havlat's offensive potential frightens me.

Old
08-06-2005, 01:30 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

I think its quite amazing how the perception of Havlat has changed voer the years. I can remember threads in his first year where it was pretty split between who would grow into the better player between Hossa and Havlat. But Havlat was a fan favourite back then. The very idea of trading him would have been considered sacrilege. Fans can turn quickly over small things. I agree he is likely to have a great year and start being considered an elite player. once we get him under contract

I always thought of Havlat as a lot feistier than he seemed to get credit for. He sometimes could play a very agitating style and mix it up along the boards. Now that he is grown, it might be very itneresting to see how well that evolves too. Not to mention that guys like him are who the rule changes to allow skill to dominate are most designed for. With no hook to make him lose a step, he will likely beat even more players 1 on 1 and find open ice for breakouts. Which is a talent so many Sens players have a great talent for doing.

Havlat, Hossa, and Alfie will all end up with top line minutes just by virtue of being on the #1pp unit. Given that, why not balance the es attack with Havlat on a 3rd line rw rather than a #1 line lw? When interviewing players from other teams about playing us, it always came up that it was so tough covering a team with so many balanced lines. The fear they had of putting out a bottom pairing defense pair was noticeable. Is it really something we should give up?

Old
08-06-2005, 02:55 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
When interviewing players from other teams about playing us, it always came up that it was so tough covering a team with so many balanced lines. The fear they had of putting out a bottom pairing defense pair was noticeable. Is it really something we should give up?
Well, I think there was a lack of accountability come playoff time when the goals weren't being scored.

If you have clearly defined scoring responsibilities, and less dilution of talent, you might get some guys red-hot instead of luke warm when it counts.

Old
08-06-2005, 03:24 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

BTW, didnt Havlat used to be a center before he entered the NHL?

Now with Havlat's newfound strenght, maybe we could field a Hossa-Havlat-Alfie PP unit

Old
08-06-2005, 06:38 PM
The Hamburglar

Please no more balanced lines again. With Murray, I expect Havlat will be a LW and gain chemistry with other top players like Spezza and Alfie. The only time players like this all played together on the ice with Martin here was the PP, and those are mostly set plays....so there is not much chemistry there. Then when we really needed a goal 5 on 5, Martin would maybe try something like a Havlat - Bonk - Hossa line (at the time), but they never played together before so they had no chemistry.

There could still be times this year where we see the balanced lines, and thats fine but I would really like to see our top players gain more chemistry with each other.

Old
08-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Roy G Biv*

I wonder if Havlat will hold out.

Our dreams of signing Havlat for under 3 mill, and hossa at 4 mill are in jeopardy thanks to Doug "I'm a moron" Maclean.

I'm starting to see more clearly on who is to blame for the economic state of the nhl.

Maybe we need less hockey people as GM's and more business people.

Old
08-06-2005, 07:24 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Yeah, I'm sick of spreading things out on offense as well. I'd love for this team to have one amazing line, a very solid second line, and a checking third line.

Havlat - Spezza - Alfredsson
Fisher - Smoke - Hossa
Schaefer - Vermette - Varada

Old
08-06-2005, 09:42 PM
DaveMatthew

If he gets top line minutes, I think he'll be a top 5 scorer in the league next season.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:08 PM
joolzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
I wonder if Havlat will hold out.
Havlat is eligible for arbitration, and unless what the Sens offer him is (in his mind) acceptable, I'd be willing to bet he'll go that route. I think-- and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong-- he's required to accept that ruling.

Of course, he could really hold out after that, in the Yashin sense, but I don't think that's likely. In his previous "hold out" his mantra was that he just wanted to get paid what was fair.

Interesting news that he's bulked up! It should add another dimension to his game, though hopefully it won't slow him down. I hope LW works out for him-- a little bigger and tougher to get off the puck added to his skill and "edgy" play, he just may end up being exactly the gritty LW the Sens have been hunting for.

Edit: Ok, maybe gritty is pushing it.

Last edited by joolzie: 08-06-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old
08-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Egil

We can choose to take Havlat to arbitration should we be concerned about him holding out. If Walsh is playing games again in not negotiating until the last minute, expect us to take Havlat to arbitration (unless Havlat chooses that route, which is entirely possible).

Closed Thread