HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still thinking about Carolina vs Tampa

Old
04-10-2011, 10:10 AM
ltrangerfan

vCash: 500
Still thinking about Carolina vs Tampa

I'm still a bit haunted by Tampa's game against Carolina. Having nothing to play for I'm stunned at the game Tampa played. I was wondering if anyone thought that the remnants of the old Tampa SC team was thanking Torts by playing their game full out?

Or not to leave out a good conspiracy:

Did the heads of the NHL ask the ownership of the Lightening not to phone this last game in? After all, Having the Rangers in the Playoffs makes for better ratings / money for the league?

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:17 AM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2011/0...fedotenko-yes/

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
ecemleafs

we got torts, vinny, and feds to thank

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:23 AM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
I'm still a bit haunted by Tampa's game against Carolina. Having nothing to play for I'm stunned at the game Tampa played. I was wondering if anyone thought that the remnants of the old Tampa SC team was thanking Torts by playing their game full out?

Or not to leave out a good conspiracy:

Did the heads of the NHL ask the ownership of the Lightening not to phone this last game in? After all, Having the Rangers in the Playoffs makes for better ratings / money for the league?
I dont understand why people feel this way. Tampa had the opportunity to prevent their division rival from making the playoffs! That gives them enough incentive to try to win. They hate Carolina as much as we hate the Devils (ok probably not that much at all, but you get wat im saying)

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

The league certainly phoned it in........for carolina. That was one of the most despicable displays of officiating i saw this season.

Also, they're professional athletes. They're going to compete hard as long as they are playing.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:25 AM
JimmyStart*

How many PP did Car have that game? How many did TB have? Def wasn't a conspiracy haha.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:29 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

I've a lot of respect for the Bolts today. Not directly because of the result, but precisely because they showed up yesterday and offered us a good hockey game to watch.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:29 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
The league certainly phoned it in........for carolina. That was one of the most despicable displays of officiating i saw this season.

Also, they're professional athletes. They're going to compete hard as long as they are playing.
That play in the last 5 minutes of the game were Lecavs was hooked around the waist behind the net was amazing to watch. Definitely a penalty and you could tell Vinny knew nothing was going to be called when he turned around and just forearmed the defenseman to get loose.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:34 AM
eco's bones

A couple thoughts--Tampa Bay and Carolina are divisional rivals. As well--these games do mean something to a team locked into playoff position as it's best to go into the playoffs as hot as possible. Another factor is the back to back game and Carolina coming off a big emotional win--and finding themselves in control of their own destiny--took that breathing space and let down. It may have been the first goal or the 2nd but all of a sudden it was as if the momentum was gone and frustration/panic set in. They were chasing the puck like we were against Atlanta.

I'd give the Hurricanes credit. They scared the **** out of us. We were playing pretty well coming down the final stretch but they and Buffalo just wouldn't lose. They picked up points every time we stumbled. From my perspective though the Rangers belong in the playoffs more than they do--more wins--much better goals for/goals against differential. We ended +35. They ended -3. IMO we were the better team--not knowing what kind of injury problems they had this year--hard to believe it could have been worse than ours--there's that too. The Rangers overcame tons of adversity and were on the ropes because of the new rule regarding regular season wins. After last season that was going to be tough to take.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Smith was a boss.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:49 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post

Smith was a boss.
Loffen, that girl in your avatar looks like a bird. Who is she?

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

A few quotes:

Quote:
"I'm happy for Torts. He's done a lot for my career," Lightning forward Martin St. Louis said. "If we could have helped him, great. We played the game, though. It's not like we were working extra hard for Torts."
Quote:
As steady and calm as Henrik Lundqvist is in the nets, Drury hinted that the star goalie doesn't do as well when things are out of his hands.

"Watching that game next to Henrik was something I don't ever want to do again," Drury said. "He was pretty intense.
Quote:
The Rangers remain the only NHL team not to lose a game this season when leading after two periods (29-0).

Old
04-10-2011, 11:02 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Tampa Bay Lightning are going to be a very good hockey team. Best young GM in the game and the best young coach in the game.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

That quote about Dru and Hank watching the game is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Loffen, that girl in your avatar looks like a bird. Who is she?
Kaylee Defer

Old
04-10-2011, 11:05 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Smith was a boss.[/QUOTE]

This. Throughout the game Carolina created a ton of goal scoring opportunities to overcome 3 - 4 goals they were down except Mike Smith would have none of it and in certain situations Hurricanes just did not have the good luck.

Does not take away anything from the Rangers play-off push run or overall season they have had.

kovazub94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:05 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

You control the circumstances you can.

Carolina didn't have a chance to knock the NYR out of the playoffs, but they did have a chance to boot out a division rival. Imagine they mailed the game in, and then down the road Carolina eliminates them in a 7 game series? If the NYR would happen to eliminate TBL, well it was NJ's job to keep us out, not Tampa's.

All this OMG TBL WON IT FOR US!!! was fun last night as we got to bullshoot with a bunch of TBL fans during the game. But they won last night for the same reason NJD wanted to beat us so bad. Keep a divison rival out of the playoffs.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
That quote about Dru and Hank watching the game is great.
Haha, honestly, I'm surprised Hank even watched the game.

Quote:
Kaylee Defer
Gossip Girl lover?

Old
04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
broadwayblue

"You never know what can happen down the road if you keep a team alive," centre Steven Stamkos said. "I mean, you never know what happens if you (meet) them in the playoffs or something."

"We knew they were going to come out hard, and we treated it as a playoff game," Stamkos said. "It was a Game 7 for them, so for us it was a great tuneup for our playoffs.

"It was a great test for us because it was going to be a playoff game," St. Louis said. "For (Carolina), it was a do-or-die situation. I thought it was good preparation for what's coming."

"At the end of the day, we had a great start," he added, "and that's what won us the game."

and just for fun...

"Everyone in this room wanted to be in the playoffs," Carolina captain Eric Staal said. "Not a nice feeling in the stomach. We obviously worked our butts off all year to have this opportunity at home, and we didn't get the job done tonight."

wonder who the Staal family was pulling for. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:24 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Smith was a boss.
Smith played the game of his life and I had a feeling he would be a stalwart. So happy. Thank god they didn't keep Dan Ellis because 1. Ellis wouldn't have done that and 2. I hate Ellis.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
broadwayblue

one more good quote from after the game...

"I'm happy for Torts. He's done a lot for my career," Lightning forward Martin St. Louis said. "If we could have helped him, great. We played the game, though. It's not like we were working extra hard for Torts."

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Ellis would've blown that game wide open for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Gossip Girl lover?
Bigtime.

not

lawl

Meester is fine though.

Old
04-10-2011, 11:31 AM
jcbio11

I was mightily impressed by the proffesionalism displayed by the Lightning team.

They really had nothing to play for and they came out flying, 3 goals in the first period.

Also, St. Louis - wow! The guy is just oozing hockey sense! He's like little Gretzky!

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:51 PM
NCRanger

Something is getting overlooked in all of this love for the Tampa Bay Lightning and that they wanted to knock out of division rival.

If that (knocking out a division rival) is so true, why did Atlanta mail it in on Friday night against Carolina, after playing the way they did against the Rangers on Thursday?

There's some stuff floating around cyberspace and the interwebs pointing to the possibility that Atlanta intentionally laid down on Friday night. I'm not saying it's entirely true, but if you actually watched the game, you would have seen an Atlanta team play like they didn't care at all. Contrast that to the way they played at the Garden the night before. Trapping after the lead was gained, before that, the in your face speed forechecking, which was completely nonexistent against Carolina.

There are Hurricanes players stating that they watched the Thrashers play the Rangers on Thursday and were scared that they'd see the same effort. These players admit that if they saw an effort from Atlanta, they don't know if they could have gotten through the game. Eric Staal was playing with a pulled groin and can barely walk. There are other players that are just plain spent.

None of this excuses the Ranger effort against Atlanta, other than the possibility that Atlanta was playing like it was their playoffs and the Rangers didn't match the intensity. However, if that is the case, it is highly unprofessional and a real question of the Thrashers integrity to lay down the next night, when they had the EXACT SAME SCENARIO IN FRONT OF THEM, especially with a divisional rival.

I have a really funny feeling that where there is smoke, there's a little bit of fire. While the Thrashers and 'Canes are divisional rivals, there's a bit of SE Division camaraderie, especially with Carolina, Atlanta, and Florida (as they all feel as if the league disrespects them). I wouldn't doubt that the Thrashers organization in their heart of hearts would rather see a fellow division member in the playoffs over the big, bad New York Rangers.

Thankfully, the Tampa Bay Lightning organization is professional and has integrity. I would expect as much with an organization with Steve Yzerman as the GM.

If there is anything to this, the Atlanta Thrashers have hit Fishstick, Penguin, Flyer, and Devil hate levels for me.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 12:59 PM
OverTheCap

Carolina was due for a loss. Their last regulation loss before last night was exactly two weeks from yesterday (also a loss to Tampa, BTW). Unfortunately that loss couldn't come at a worse time.

Also, Tampa is a well-coached team of professionals who would never forego the opportunity to eliminate a division rival. Stamkos mentioned it during the first intermission, they were motivated and wanted to take out Carolina. Just because a team has already clinched a playoff spot doesn't mean that they have to lay down and not take the role of spoiler seriously. I have the utmost respect for the Lightning, that's how athletes should play in a game like that.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:29 PM
satrabyk

I was told by a relative of Steve Eminger who is my Dads hockey friend, that Tampa Bay Coaches had informed the Rangers to not worry they are going to give it there all and beat Car. He told me this yest at like 5. You have to take into account Tampa players like Marty or Vinny may have wanted to do it for Torts also.

Last edited by satrabyk: 04-10-2011 at 01:37 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote