HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Today could be Gaborik's last game as a Ranger

Old
04-10-2011, 12:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Its a different topic, and although I am drulling as much as anyone when watching Thomas highlights -- it is way to early to put that kind of expectations on him.
Based on the way the organization is structred (contracts going forward, prospects in the system, where and when they were drafted), it sure seems like the team is looking at it and hoping that this is going to be the case. I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that this is the plan. IMO, it's not the most far-fetched thing around. Thomas is a solid prospect.

Quote:
Its definitely on par with the over-hype Grachev received, if not worse.
Different situations. Thomas didn't have the physical advantages Grachev had. Thomas is a good player, he just may not be big enough. Hopefully, that won't be the case. It doesn't seem like it's going to stop him right now.

Quote:
Thomas will never make the team out of camp next season, and right now he is far far away from being NHL ready.

We have a kid here who have a chance at becoming a 30-35 + 30 player, which is awsome. We do not have Taylor Hall II, but it sounds like it.
Hey, I agree with all of this. I'm not looking for him to be on the team in 11-12. 12-13, sure. I just think he's going to be pretty good eventually.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 01:28 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Different situations. Thomas didn't have the physical advantages Grachev had.
Size is only an advantage in hockey if you are good enough. So far, Grachev isn't even close to good enough. Skill will always triumph over size.

Getting someone who is both is the true advantage. Rangers have a history of not finding those players.

Anisimov still might become that, though.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
wasn't Cally hurt for a chunk of the season? he played thru injury as well and still played with heart with as many points as Gabs in as many games. (2 less actually)

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:06 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The more I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if someone in Ranger management planted this with Uncle Larry to light a fire under Gaborik's ass. What I've heard from my old Minnesota friends is that he loves New York, loves playing for the Rangers and likes being just another face in a very big city rather than being the very uncomfortable face of the franchise in Minnesota. I'm willing to write it off as a bad year and stand pat but the Rangers will certainly listen to what's available.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:09 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The more I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if someone in Ranger management planted this with Uncle Larry to light a fire under Gaborik's ass. What I've heard from my old Minnesota friends is that he loves New York, loves playing for the Rangers and likes being just another face in a very big city rather than being the very uncomfortable face of the franchise in Minnesota. I'm willing to write it off as a bad year and stand pat but the Rangers will certainly listen to what's available.
Yes, Gaborik does love NY. But the concern is the feeling is not mutual.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Here it is: Gabby, Anisimov / pick for Iginla.

iginla is 34 and Calgary will have to consider his remaining value or the chance of getting some value for him
Way no big time!
I'd rather have AA right now all by his lonesome than Iggy.
AA + Iggy at a comparable age is a discussion.
Not now, IMO.

Gabby, Girardi + X in overpayment for Doughty.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:56 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
wasn't Cally hurt for a chunk of the season? he played thru injury as well and still played with heart with as many points as Gabs in as many games. (2 less actually)
They play completely different styles.

Gaborik's style is reliant on his speed and shiftiness, as well as that quick shot. If the guy has a bum knee, as rumored, and a bad shoulder, both those things will be affected.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:20 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Gaborik is not getting bought out or traded. Larry's been hanging out with Tyrone Bigguns doing crack and red balls.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:10 PM
pld459666

Gaborik may be traded, just as much as Dubinsky may be traded as much as Callahan may be traded.

Which leads me to believe that Gaborik will not be traded unless it was a sweetheart of a deal, and if that is the case, then that's fine by me, just as much as it would be fine by me if either Dubi or Cally were dealt in sweetheart deals.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:37 AM
bouds

Guy was terrific last season, faded down the stretch but it was understandable considering the amount of hockey he played.

No idea what happened this season, but he's not the same guy. I'll give him a mulligan, something's not right. Sather will explore all avenues, dude can move any contract it seems. Still, I'd love the '09/'10 Gaborik on this team.

bouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Brooks is sooooo dramatic!

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Thank god the organization isn't as irrational as the majority of the fan base. Yes, let's get rid of the guy who accounted for 25% of our team offense last year just because he had a poor showing this year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Thank god the organization isn't as irrational as the majority of the fan base. Yes, let's get rid of the guy who accounted for 25% of our team offense last year just because he had a poor showing this year.
I don't think it's as simple as that, Trx. The question to me is health. Will he ever be healthy?

04-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't think it's as simple as that, Trx. The question to me is health. Will he ever be healthy?
I don't think it is either, but you and I both know that a majority of people who are advocating dealing him are doing so based on his poor performance this year, and not the risk of injury. It's the same people who want to deal Del Zotto, or were using Sauer as a throw-in at the deadline last year.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere. We can't keep shuffling free agents in and out of the organization each summer, and while Gaborik is likely never to be free of injury, I'd wager that even an injured Gaborik is likely to be a better option than what we'd get for him in a trade.

Do I think he's guaranteed to play out his contract in NY? No, but I don't think the Rangers will be actively shopping him this summer.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Will he ever be healthy?
I'm not sure if that can even be answered but it is the million dollar question. His history tends to go down the road of no but I can hope.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:02 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Seriously. It just shows how bipolar syndrome runs around here.

How can you not give the guy another year to prove his worth. So far he has had 1 good season and 1 bad season.

I mean if Cally had a bad season next year or even McD, is everyone going to jump off the cliff and demand them to be traded as well?

If some of you guys want Kovalchuk that bad, go be a Devils fan. They could always use a bigger fan base.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Yes! Normally I'd love a player like Gaborik, but he is so fragile you just have to question relying on him as the #1 guy long-term and because of the cap, that is what his salary makes him, the #1 guy.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Here it is: Gabby, Anisimov / pick for Iginla.

iginla is 34 and Calgary will have to consider his remaining value or the chance of getting some value for him
Your gonna regret this after Anisimov scores some big goals vs Wash, book it. It would be stupid to trade him at this point at his real low point. Like some have said is teams are willing to overpay than of course you make the trade but they prob will not. I still think partly the reason for everyone being so bipolar is the fact that they over reacted about his play last year. I personally did not think he played as great as some have stated, he scored yes but his overall play was not someone who dominated a game. He scored his goals similar to this year but more of them.

Last edited by satrabyk: 04-11-2011 at 12:15 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:04 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Marian Gaborik is a perimeter goal scorer, and a good one. But that is all he is. He is not an assassin- i.e. Ovechkin/Stamkos/Zetterberg etc. When he's not trying to one-hand the puck past the other teams defensemen off the rush he's a defensive liability in his own zone. Gaborik is an elite scorer when he has someone to dish him the puck. Granted, I don't see the Rangers trading him both because they would get, for lack of a better word, **** in return right now and Richards is supposed to be the guy that can get him the biscuit. Richards without Gaborik and vice versa makes little sense.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote