HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Was this Lundqvist's best season to date? Henrik Lundqvist discussion thread

Old
04-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Was this Lundqvist's best season to date? Henrik Lundqvist discussion thread

Upon desire for a new Hank thread, here we go.

This year for Henrik;

36 wins, .923 (career high), 2.28

Was it his best year as a Ranger?

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468685

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:43 PM
MorrisWanchuk

vCash: 500
i can confirm that this was his best year as a ranger

just look at the monster ironman performance down the stretch - how many in a row was it 27? 28?

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:44 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

In my opinion, probably yes. You can talk about his early season slumping, but our bad record in February are mostly from 1 goal games (more on the offense not being able to score, especially since we know we suffered some ridiculous ****ing bounces) but his play down the stretch is very possibly the best stretch of goaltending i've ever had the pleasure of watching.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

He has been phenomenal every season for us. But yes, I would likely rank this season at the top. 07-08 was likely #2.

All in all, we are so lucky to have him as our netminder.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:55 PM
John Torturella

Im of the opinion that Hank's rookie year is still probably his best season. His rookie year was just out of this world. He came out of nowhere and was just a brick wall. It was Lundqvist and Jagr. They did it almost by themselves. That year was special and to me it will be hard to top.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:59 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Im of the opinion that Hank's rookie year is still probably his best season. His rookie year was just out of this world. He came out of nowhere and was just a brick wall. It was Lundqvist and Jagr. They did it almost by themselves. That year was special and to me it will be hard to top.
Also important to note he was in the low 50's in games played that year. Who knows how that year would have went for him had he played the usual 70 games he does nowadays with the Olympics that year. He was already burnt out by the time the playoffs came.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Of course this was his best season

He's the reason I believe this team can win on any given night.

I hope the best is yet to come, looking forward to this playoff run.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:22 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Upon desire for a new Hank thread, here we go.

This year for Henrik;

36 wins, .923 (career high), 2.28

Was it his best year as a Ranger?

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468685
Not to mention 11 shutouts as a career high (league high as well).

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

In Henrik We Trust.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 04:12 PM
3Four3

A lot of 1 goal losses this season, again. If those were remedied, he'd easily be in the 40 wins category.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 04:18 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Also important to note he was in the low 50's in games played that year. Who knows how that year would have went for him had he played the usual 70 games he does nowadays with the Olympics that year. He was already burnt out by the time the playoffs came.
He still played 53 games and put up crazy numbers with a team that was very average. Hard to knock that year based on not playing 70+ games.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:29 AM
darko

He looked human at times in February but looked like Hank every other time. Yeah probably his best season.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:58 AM
OverTheCap

Lundqvist's month-to-month consistency this year was probably the best to date. Earlier in his career, he would usually struggle from December into January and put up very un-Hank-like numbers: GAA of over 3.00 and a save percentage below .900. This year, he may have had a stretch of 2 bad games in a row, but it never really snowballed out of control. Some fans would doubt him, but he would shut them up with excellent goaltending the following game.

And complaints about letting in softies, which unfortunately were all too common this year? EVERY goaltender lets in a softy now and then. Look at Tim Thomas when we played against him last week, and Brodeur on Saturday. What separates Lundqvist from the rest is that he lets in less bad goals than other goalies in this league.

What Lundqvist has accomplished this season with such a young defense in front of him, and with no backup to spell him at the end of the year, is quite impressive. This is his best season to date.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:51 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Lundqvist, as has been the case every single season of his NHL career, was nothing short of spectacular this season.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:22 AM
CH2

I kind of feel bad for Hank that consistency won't get him a Vezina. Let's just say 5 years down the road individuals look at his career and he still doesn't have a Vezina, will that hurt his reputation despite probably being one of if not the top goaltenders since the lockout? I'd think so. That being said, I think next year will be the first year in his career he's had a legitimately deep defense and he could put up numbers that finally get him that Vezina. I'm of the belief that next year our Top-4 will be one of the best in the league and the 3rd pairing will be up there as well.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:59 AM
mostly a reader

A dose of devil's advocate: You can blame it on the goal scoring, and you can twist stats a lot of different ways to make an argument, but here's the hard truth--In losses in which Hank started, his save percentage was .888, and his GAA was 3.26. That's not good.

The flip side of the coin is that, as always, he stole us plenty of wins with his play, and going into any game, no goalie gives me more confidence.

mostly a reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly a reader View Post
A dose of devil's advocate: You can blame it on the goal scoring, and you can twist stats a lot of different ways to make an argument, but here's the hard truth--In losses in which Hank started, his save percentage was .888, and his GAA was 3.26. That's not good.
Yeah, i would expect just about any goalie to worse stats in his losses than his wins.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
All that means is that Henrik's stats in games he has won are ridiculously high.

He wins significantly more games than he loses, so I think we could all agree that is a good thing, yes?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Eh I think that it would be up for debate, but idk he got off to a slow start and all so i cant make up my mind if it was his best

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:51 AM
mostly a reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
All that means is that Henrik's stats in games he has won are ridiculously high.

He wins significantly more games than he loses, so I think we could all agree that is a good thing, yes?
Yup. GAA in wins 1.44. Sv Pct. in wins .951

By comparison:
Luongo GAA in wins 1.67. Sv Pct in wins .942

Hank wins that one.

Luongo GAA in losses 2.88. Sv. Pct in losses .903.
Hank 3.26; .888

On those numbers, Luongo was more consistent this year. Of course, Hank is not playing in front of the Canucks.

mostly a reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly a reader View Post
Yup. GAA in wins 1.44. Sv Pct. in wins .951

By comparison:
Luongo GAA in wins 1.67. Sv Pct in wins .942

Hank wins that one.

Luongo GAA in losses 2.88. Sv. Pct in losses .903.
Hank 3.26; .888

On those numbers, Luongo was more consistent this year. Of course, Hank is not playing in front of the Canucks.
We need Hank to be a little more consistent in this series. If he's giving up 3 goals, we're not going to win the games. Hopefully the offense steps up and plays well against what is a not overly physical Caps D.

I'd also say this is his best season. The guy played with inconsistent defense this season as well, including having 2 rookies when we didn't know what to expect from them and two 2nd year players we didn't really know what to expect from

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Jersey Girl

All season long we've been hearing on these boards how if we just get into the playoffs, because we have Hank we can go far. OK, well...here we are.

It is time for Hank to step up in the playoffs and show us that all of that hype was accurate. Go do it Hank. Go steal us a series. Heck, steal us a Stanley Cup, like a number of posters were saying he's capable of.

It's time to change from saying that Hank can steal a series...to Hank actually stealing a series. Make it happen.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
All season long we've been hearing on these boards how if we just get into the playoffs, because we have Hank we can go far. OK, well...here we are.

It is time for Hank to step up in the playoffs and show us that all of that hype was accurate. Go do it Hank. Go steal us a series. Heck, steal us a Stanley Cup, like a number of posters were saying he's capable of.

It's time to change from saying that Hank can steal a series...to Hank actually stealing a series. Make it happen.
That's totally reasonable. But at the same time you need some help from your teammates to steal a series. If he holds the Caps to 1 or 2 goals per game that's a huge accomplishment. But if we can't score 2 or 3 then it's not on him.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
That's totally reasonable. But at the same time you need some help from your teammates to steal a series. If he holds the Caps to 1 or 2 goals per game that's a huge accomplishment. But if we can't score 2 or 3 then it's not on him.
Do not disagree. But the mantra all season long was that if the team could make the playoffs, Hank could steal one or more series.

Steal a series. Find a way.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

I say this from a goaltending background and probably as one of the biggest Hank supporters there are, but putting stats aside, no he did not have his best season as a Ranger. He had a stellar season no doubt, but not his best as a Ranger. From a technical standpoint Hank fought with himself a bit for much of the year IMO. Hank's style is one that sacrifices depth (cutting down the angle) for the ability to make lateral saves much easier. This is why in seasons past you've seen Hank make ridiculous cross-crease saves. Hank gets away with this by having great reflexes, almost perfect positioning, and just being a naturally big guy. However from what I saw, his lateral movement this year hasn't been what it was in years past in regards to quickness and form. I honestly think that having Biron to start more games threw off Hank's rythym a little bit this season because he was so used to being in there to start just about every game. Hopefully as a result of that he'll be fresher this year for the playoffs. We shall see.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is online now   Reply With Quote