HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1 Kings Forum Discussion: San Jose Sharks (2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (7)

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 03:43 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
One fan base grew up listening to Bob Miller and Jim Fox calling games. The other fan base is still growing up listening to Brian Hayward.

THIS! Bob and Jim call as it is. The Kings play bad they say so. They get away with something they admit it.

Hayward on the other hand is calling for being screwed by corrupt refs and declaring conspiracy theories!

I've always thought announcers have a big influence on how the fan bases act.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:43 PM
21Dog

Nothing but respect for the Sharks and their fans. Even like their announcers.

But this is NoCal vs. SoCal.......Dodgers-Giants, Lakers-Warriors (not that it's a rivalry), Rams-49ers (I'm that old and I still hold a grudge). I remember the Kings-Seals series.

Gloves are off.

It's on.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
So like, should I troll just for fun?

TEH CANUCKS, ER, SHARKS ARE GONNA PWN YOU GUYZZ!!!
You're doing it wrong. You have to be COMPLETELY delusional, and see events in strange ways that make the sane people feel like they're crazy.

i.e., Kopitar is a diver, Clifford is a no-talent hack that boards someone every game, and the like. I think we can work on this together!

Old
04-10-2011, 03:47 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

I think every Kings fan would take this match up over Vancouver (or DET for that matter) any day of the week. That being said, the Sharks have been amazing since January, so the odds are definitely going to be in their favor.

I like the Kings D and goaltending in this series, but the offensive depth of the Sharks is pretty scary. Getting at least 2 out of the 3 in Williams, Schenn and/or Parse would help cut that offensive gap by a little bit in the Kings favor. If anyone of those guys play in a game, they better be taking minutes from Ryan Smyth.

I love Smyth for what he has stood for in his career and when we look back at his time here, I think he will be remembered in a good light. Compared to a lot of the other veteran players that have come over to the Kings at the end of their careers, he has always given effort. It just seems that he can't play at the NHL level any longer, whether that is due to age, or some back injury like Barry hinted at a few weeks back. But he's not longer effective in the offensive zone and is a -1 waiting to happen every time the puck is in the Kings' end of the ice. It's unfortunate that the Kings are on the hook for his contract next year, but this was a known risk at the time of the trade for Smyth, so you can't say that DL hasn't had time to prepare for this offseason with this scenario.

Honestly, for the Kings to have any chance, Terry Murray has got to be able to manage his lines judiciously. Putting Westgarth in the line up is just plain stupid now. I'd rather see Drewiske or Harrold in his spot, as they bring no less offense than him, and it would be nice to have an extra d-man who can play the PK on the roster in case the Kings run into penalty trouble, which is a very likely scenario if SJ brings it in the offensive zone, like we all know they can. If Murray was smart, he would have put Drewiske in at forward (something he has done before at the NHL level) these past few games to give him some game time. Smart use of the timeout by Murray is also needed. If the Kings are getting blown out early, then call the timeout, give everyone a chance to calm down and get back on the same page. Don't save it for god sakes, as the margin for error is going to be ultra slim, if not non-existant.

We all know Quick is going to start, but if he's clearly given up some stoppable shots and is kicking out fat rebounds in the slot, then Bernier has to get the call right away. Don't wait till they're 2-3 goals down before pulling Quick.

We all know what we have here with this Kings team in the area of offense. Even with Kopitar & Williams playing for most of the year, they are one of the worst teams going to the playoffs in terms of goals & PP. It isn't realistic to expect them to score more then 2-3 goals a game. So that means no too many men on the ice bench minors. No stupid boarding penalties by Ponikarovsky in the offensive zone. No skating with his head down and the puck in his feet in the neutral zone by Moller. 9 minutes of ice time a game max for Ryan Smyth. And Jarret Stoll hitting the net with that beautiful one timer of his at least 3 times a game.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Looking forward to this series. So happy we don't have to deal with the Nucks, only because of their fans, not because of the team. We have done well against the Sharks this year, other than the last game, but we also had Kopitar, so, this should be interesting.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:50 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
One fan base grew up listening to Bob Miller and Jim Fox calling games. The other fan base is still growing up listening to Brian Hayward.
Also have to factor in that the Sharks fans have also been around longer. I see a couple Seal jerseys at HP, so definitely a little hockey history in the Bay area. Plus they have a couple decent broadcasters that know how the game works.

Unlike Anaheim, where the franchise is based off a disney movie and wouldn't even be a team there if not for McNall selling out.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:52 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Seriously.... If I see westgarth in one playoff game.... No no no, I'm going to think positive from here on out. Ignore those things which make me want to thrash hoards of children Louis C.K. Style.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:54 PM
s3machine*

Sharks fans are good people.. I went to Game 1 vs the Blackhawks last year at the Shark Tank wearing a kings shirt and hat and everyone around couldnt be nicer.. A bunch of different fans took pictures with me.. we had drinks.. had a lot of laughs.. no trouble at all..no name calling.. or cussing.. not even from a single fan..

They made my trip up north fun and memorable.. I have alot of respect for San Jose fans.. they're a classy bunch.

Heres to a great series.. GO KINGS GO!

Old
04-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Seriously.... If I see westgarth in one playoff game.... No no no, I'm going to think positive from here on out. Ignore those things which make me want to thrash hoards of children Louis C.K. Style.
Westgarth hasn't been that bad in the last few games and you know Murray thinks the team needs him. It will be a physical series.

If the Kings get Schenn or Williams back, then maybe Westgarth sits.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Moller is gonna get crushed.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:58 PM
gonegonegone*

i'm only happy about this matchup cuz your two best forwards are injured. if not for that, i would have much preferred phx and maybe another team. hope its a fun series!

Old
04-10-2011, 03:59 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Prefer this matchup, but I'm still not optomistic. Sharks in five.

If the stars align, the Kings could have:

Penner-Schenn-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Poni-Handzus-Moller
Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds

:crosses fingers:
All of a Matt Sundeeeeen, Trevor Lewis is a healthy scratch lmfao? Are you serious bro?

Clifford-Lewis-Richardson should be the 4th line, hell make Poni a scratch before Lewis. Lewis has been the unsung hero this year, most consistent forward after Kopitar & Williams, brings it to the table every game, kills penalties and is pretty much the secret weapon. How dare you make him a healthy scratch!!!!

Old
04-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtylerjr View Post
Another Sharks fan here.

Why do kings fans sound so much more intellegent than Ducks fans? It's not like there is a huge geogaphical distance between the two teams.

When the Kings play lousy, Kings fans say "The kings played lousy"

When the Ducks play lousy, Ducks fans say "FKIN CHEATING REFS! THEY JUST DONT WANT THE DUCKS TO WIN! DUCKS 0, REFS 5 THIS IS A DISGRACE TO THE NHL!!1!!1!"

Seriously - why is there such stark a contrast?

Should be a fun series.
One fan base is made of human beings. The other isn't.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
All of a Matt Sundeeeeen, Trevor Lewis is a healthy scratch lmfao? Are you serious bro?

Clifford-Lewis-Richardson should be the 4th line, hell make Poni a scratch before Lewis. Lewis has been the unsung hero this year, most consistent forward after Kopitar & Williams, brings it to the table every game, kills penalties and is pretty much the secret weapon. How dare you make him a healthy scratch!!!!
Knew I was forgetting someone.

Relax.

Sit Moller for Lewis.

Penner-Schenn-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Lewis-Richardson

Old
04-10-2011, 04:02 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

IF we gotta give a first round bye to a team, I'd rather it be the Sharks than the Canucks.

And yes, I join the sentiment of no 'Nucks trolls.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:08 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Quote:
Another Sharks fan here.

Why do kings fans sound so much more intellegent than Ducks fans? It's not like there is a huge geogaphical distance between the two teams.

When the Ducks play lousy, Ducks fans say "FKIN CHEATING REFS! THEY JUST DONT WANT THE DUCKS TO WIN! DUCKS 0, REFS 5 THIS IS A DISGRACE TO THE NHL!!1!!1!"

Should be a fun series.
Hayward

Old
04-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
You're doing it wrong. You have to be COMPLETELY delusional, and see events in strange ways that make the sane people feel like they're crazy.

i.e., Kopitar is a diver, Clifford is a no-talent hack that boards someone every game, and the like. I think we can work on this together!

Old
04-10-2011, 04:31 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Williams gets the green light according to Hammond, can play in Game 1 if he wants to test it

Old
04-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

Don't mean to continue the *** kiss rodeo, but I'm stoked that we get to talk hockey with you guys and not the Ducks or Hawks trolls. I hate everything LA when it comes to sports, but the Kings are the exception. Love Doughty and JJ, and D. Brown might be my favorite player now that Tkachuk has retired. Here's to a good series, too bad we can't knock you guys out with a full roster though.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:56 PM
mbar

Quote:
Another Sharks fan here.

Seriously? It's cause they listen to this guy every game.

He enables the fan base to blame everything on everybody but themselves.

EDIT - see I'm really late to the party on that one. It says a lot, I think, that everyone's first answer to your question was the same.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:59 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Two great fan bases and a fun match-up as well. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-10-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old
04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
William H Bonney

Should be fun. I'm happy to play San Jose, not because I think we'll win the series, but because I have nothing but respect for that team, franchise, and their fans. It should be an enjoyable experience.

Here's to a good series for all involved.

04-10-2011, 05:24 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Westgarth hasn't been that bad in the last few games and you know Murray thinks the team needs him. It will be a physical series.

If the Kings get Schenn or Williams back, then maybe Westgarth sits.
No he hasn't been that bad. Last night he had 3 shifts that were quite strong actually.

However you still can't give him a regular shift through 3 periods regardless of the score and with our top two scorers out, we NEED to be able to roll 4 lines throughout the game.

Also, Murray seems incapable of keeping westgarth away from from the other teams top line for a whole game, even with the last change. I don't mind westgarth as much until I see him on the ice with marleau and/or heately and if he dresses this will happen.

Old
04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
and one fan base still think that Emilio Estevez is the best coach in NHL history

Old
04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Stoked that were the 7th seed. I hope Dallas clinches today. No one would have beaten the Canucks in the first round so we may aswell cheer another Pacific team in the playoffs.

Closed Thread