HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs -Round 1- (5) Nashville Predators 4 vs (4) Anaheim Ducks 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 03:04 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Bring on the Ducks!

Old
04-10-2011, 03:05 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashville View Post
Hawks fall flat on face.
Good, now let's hope Dallas doesn't 'choke' too. Would love to see Chicago out of the PO's.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Wanted to wish your team the best of luck!

Should be a tough and close series.

Old
Legionnaire11

Dang, not looking forward to more late night starts in the playoffs, and I have just never liked the Ducks, especially since their jersey/logo change.

At least the Preds will go into a series with a definite advantage in net.

Old
smashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Good, now let's hope Dallas doesn't 'choke' too. Would love to see Chicago out of the PO's.
As would I.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:12 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
So we didn't win any big games this season to launch us in to the playoffs? I must have dreamed that Dallas and Anaheim games that were equally important to both teams. Seriously, people are cherry picking when they say we have never won big games. We have just not won enough to have real success in the playoffs.

I wish there would have been a better effort last night but I do understand how it was easy to let down after everything that has happened the last two months. Home ice would have been nice and maybe an advantage but let's not forgot we have had the 4 seed twice in our history and have went out pitifully in 5 both times.

I'm not going to judge this team on past teams failures. I'll judge them on their own merit.
And you're also putting a spin on games that are in the regular season. Big games are what happens in the post season. We have never won a game when we're facing elimination. We've won 1 road game in 5 series. We've never won a playoff series. Forgive me if I don't seem overly optimistic come playoff time with our team history.

When I see the team blowing leads like they have the last few weeks I beg to wonder if they've learned anything from the Chicago collapse last year. If they haven't, this will be a 5 or 6 game series and we'll talk in October.

I'm not saying they don't have it in them to win a series but until they do I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

We have the edge in goal. Our top pair is better than their top pair but I think overall the blue lines are about even. They have the edge up front. We'll see who steps up and who becomes the heroes for both teams. I hope that Erat is back and healthy and that the boys all step it up. It's gonna be a fun series to watch.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

If Dallas makes the playoffs....six of the 8 Western playoff teams will be teams from Tennessee, Texas, Arizona, and three from California. Take that Canadian hockey snobs.

BTW, since we will have a lot of late games being in Anaheim I hope we don't get jobbed by Versus with them "joining games in progress."

Old
04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
CloakroomCrusader

As the college kid who's going to be awake late anyways I love the late starts.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:23 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Good luck fellas, hopefully it's a good series! [for the Ducks ]

But seriously, good luck guys, I like Nashville and I feel our teams match up pretty well.

The one thing I hate is your time zone, I already have to wake up early for games, but even earlier!? Come on!

Old
04-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Jarnberg

Every team in the playoffs is a tough test. Anaheim may be one of the toughest; probably the hottest team in the league right now and playing their best hockey.

Nice to see a different team instead of San Jose/Detroit. However, this Anaheim team is very similar to the San Jose team the Predators played in 2005-2006.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:26 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We have the edge in goal. Our top pair is better than their top pair but I think overall the blue lines are about even. They have the edge up front. We'll see who steps up and who becomes the heroes for both teams. I hope that Erat is back and healthy and that the boys all step it up. It's gonna be a fun series to watch.
It's more the slight edge up front. They have 4 forwards who are significantly better than our best forward.

We have to figure out a way to keep their offense in check-- Rinne has be to HUGE, as well as our 'D' and overall team defense.

And, we have to find ways to score (story of our lives). We have to hope someone like Dumont, Kosisyten, Erat, and/or all of the above get in a groove offensively.

Play the games and see what happens.

Last edited by dulzhok: 04-10-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old
04-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Fo Shea Shea

Old
04-10-2011, 03:28 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And you're also putting a spin on games that are in the regular season. Big games are what happens in the post season. We have never won a game when we're facing elimination. We've won 1 road game in 5 series. We've never won a playoff series. Forgive me if I don't seem overly optimistic come playoff time with our team history.

When I see the team blowing leads like they have the last few weeks I beg to wonder if they've learned anything from the Chicago collapse last year. If they haven't, this will be a 5 or 6 game series and we'll talk in October.

I'm not saying they don't have it in them to win a series but until they do I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

I'm sure teams would disagree about big games only happening in the playoffs. Hell, I'm sure Carolina and Chicago would disagree with you here in the last 2 days. It's hypocritical for calling the team out for never winning a big game when referring to a regular season game and then come out and say regular season games aren't big games. They absoutley are. If we lose that Dallas or Anaheim game in regulation we probably miss the playoffs. If you want to judge the current team by failures past go ahead that's your right. I'll judge them by how they perform in the present.

As far as the Ducks go, first in regards to non hockey Pros and Cons:

Pro: Meeting new blood in the playoffs for the first time is always exciting IMO.

Cons: Late night Pacific games

As far as the hockey go for the Preds we must:

-Limit Getzlaf,Perry,Ryan,Selanne

-Take advantage of a Defense and Goaltending that is nowhere close to elite. Out of all playoff series we ever played this will be the best matchup we ever had with the potential of scoring goals.

- Need Erat back bad and Legwand's line needs to get back on track and Fish's line needs to keep going like it is.

- Secondary guys like Halischuck and Boomer, Wilson, etc need to chip in some.

- And of course Pekka has to be Pekka in top form cause you can guarantee the Ducks are going to get some great chances every game.

For the Ducks:

- They need their big 4 to keep up their hot streaks.

- They need secondary scoring from guys like Koivu,Blake,Mcmillian,Belesky.

- Their Defense/Goaltending has played very well lately. The best it's played all season and at the perfect time. If their D and goaltending play at a high level I fear we will be gone quickly.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:38 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Considering last year we had to contend with Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Bolland, Versteeg, and Byfuglien up front with Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, and Hjalmarrson on the blueline and Niemi playing average-to-above-average in net I'm not overly worried about Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, and Ryan. Their defense is not even close to as good as ours (though it's been playing well lately), and their goaltending situation will probably be the thing to keep them from going deep this year if it's anything.

Anaheim is good and Anaheim is hot right now. We've played them well this year even without forwards that match up to their top four. If you look beyond their excellent four forwards you see a decent drop off. They don't have a very good bottom six. We have the best defensive pairing in the league, some pretty solid two-way forwards, and the best goalie in the Western play offs. It won't be easy, but it's the play offs. Nothing is ever easy in April

Last edited by TMI: 04-10-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old
04-10-2011, 03:43 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Considering last year we had to contend with Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Bolland, Versteeg, and Byfuglien up from with Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, and Hjalmarrson on the blueline and Niemi playing average-to-above-average in net I'm not overly worried about Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, and Ryan. Their defense is not even close to as good as ours, and their goaltending situation will probably be the thing to keep them from going deep this year.

Anaheim is good and Anaheim is hot right now. We've played them well this year even without forwards that match up to their top four. If you look beyond their excellent four forwards you see a decent drop off. They don't have a very good bottom six. We have the best defensive pairing in the league, some pretty solid two-way forwards, and the best goalie in the Western play offs.
If ANA had one scary line, we'd have some comfort knowing we have Suter & Weber.

But they have two.

And last year with the Hawks, our 2nd pairing of Klein and Hamhuis did not play well and was a big reason we lost, combined with our scoring woes and being shutout twice.

Find ways to score goals, find ways to score goals, find ways to score goals,

Old
04-10-2011, 03:49 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
If ANA had one scary line, we'd have some comfort knowing we have Suter & Weber.

But they have two.

And last year with the Hawks, our 2nd pairing of Klein and Hamhuis did not play well and was a big reason we lost, combined with our scoring woes and being shutout twice.

Find ways to score goals, find ways to score goals, find ways to score goals,
Don't agree with Anaheim having two scary lines. More like they have 1 1/3 REALLY scary lines. Their second line I believe is Blake-Koivu-Selanne. Koivu and Blake are solid players but far from scary.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

As a fan hopping on your bandwagon, the biggest thing you guys need to do is, not take many penalties.

Even with a top PK like yours, giving that team time on the PP like sticking your hand in a cage with a snake in it. Once or twice you'll get away without getting bit, keep pushing it, and it'll hurt you.

Luckily they you guys don't take a ton of penalties and are fairly disciplined in that regards.

Another key will be line matching. Whichever line(either Legwards or Fish's) is better defensively, they'll need to be out against Anaheim's big line for atleast the whole time. Same with Weber and Suter. If you can shut down that line or somewhat limit the damage, it'll go a long way towards helping your chance.

While the Selanne and Saku line is dangerous, and still very good, I think the Legwand line can somewhat handle that.

You guys can win this, you just need to be physical plus disciplined.

04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Don't agree with Anaheim having two scary lines. More like they have 1 1/3 REALLY scary lines. Their second line I believe is Blake-Koivu-Selanne. Koivu and Blake are solid players but far from scary.
Teemu makes the line and Koivu supports. Koivu has also been $$ in past playoffs. I haven't seen him play that much this year, but this is potentially his last hooray-- I expect to see him at the top of his game. They aren't as good as their first line but they are pretty damn good.

I'm skeptical that Klein is gonna shut them down.

#findwaystoscoregoals #scoringgoalsisimportantinhockey #hopesomeonegetsthehothand

Old
04-10-2011, 04:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

They really don't have two scary lines. They have one of the best, if not the best, top lines in the league. After that is Selanne... Koivu is having a decent season I suppose, and Blake is... well... Blake. We have four players with more points than Koivu, and eight players with more points than Blake (including Wilson). And we flat out SUCK at offense...

As for finding ways to score goals, that's why I like this match up. If there's one team we've been able to exploit with our offense I think it's Anaheim. In our four games against them we were able to put in 17 goals while allowing 11 (4.25 GPG v. 2.75 GA/G)

I think we have the tools to match up well against their biggest threats. Their biggest strength is obviously offense (ranked 11th overall in the league compared to our 21) while ours is going to be defense/goaltending (we ranked 3rd in the league compared to their 19).

I'm with predsfan24. The biggest question mark in this series is going to be which Anaheim defense shows up for the most part. If the blueline/goaltending that has been playing so well lately shows up for the whole series I don't like our chances. If they slip in those departments I think we take it in six games. Vital to us winning the series, though, is going to be Trotz finding a way to contain Getlaf/Perry/Ryan without home ice last change. Tricky line changes and pairings might benefit us this time. If we can contain those guys we will take home ice advantage away early, and then it's all up in the air.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:09 PM
hatedandproud

If ellis ends up in net, I hope it's not '08 playoff ellis.

Did emery get hurt again? I'd thought I read/heard that.

Gonna be a tough series.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I love the late starts as well, hate that were facing ANA though

Old
04-10-2011, 04:12 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Trotz put Fish with Ward and Spaling/Smithson as a shut down line. Open Leggy up to be more offensive, while still allowing him to play a decent shut down role against Selanne's line. Keep one of the top two defensive pairings on the Getzlaf line. I'd love it more if Erat and O'Reilly can go. Make your shutdown line Ward/Smithson/Spaling (pretty bad ass if you ask me), move Fish to O'Reilly's wing, put SK with Leggy and Erat.

Forward lines I'd like to see in the first game:

Erat Legwand SK
Fisher O'Reilly Hornqvist
Spaling Smithson Ward
Dumont/Geoffrion Halischuk Wilson

If O'Reilly and/or Erat can't go then we all know Ward/Sully/Spaling moves up...
The one thing that must be addressed and that can actually be fixed is the sloppy play in our own zone, especially late in games. Anaheim will absolutely bury you if you don't make quick, smart decisions with the puck on the break out. The cute crap we saw last night in the neutral zone won't cut it. The cluster **** we saw the last time we played Anaheim doesn't cut it either.

Keys to winning this series will be discipline (both in limiting penalties and in puck possession), helping Rinne out as much as possible (he's elite, but if we can keep him from having to prove he's elite we are almost impossible to beat), exploiting any weaknesses in defense and goaltending every time we get a chance, and good coaching (especially in terms of match ups). Anaheim isn't a deep team. I think Trotz wins this coaching duel.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:12 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
If ellis ends up in net, I hope it's not '08 playoff ellis.

Did emery get hurt again? I'd thought I read/heard that.

Gonna be a tough series.
I'm cool with it being 2008 play off Ellis. He was good, but not great, and he lost the series. Bring it on

Old
04-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Trotz put Fish with Ward and Spaling/Smithson as a shut down line. Open Leggy up to be more offensive, while still allowing him to play a decent shut down role against Selanne's line. Keep one of the top two defensive pairings on the Getzlaf line.

The one thing that must be addressed and that can actually be fixed is the sloppy play in our own zone, especially late in games. Anaheim will absolutely bury you if you don't make quick, smart decisions with the puck on the break out. The cute crap we saw last night in the neutral zone won't cut it. The cluster **** we saw the last time we played Anaheim doesn't cut it either.

Keys to winning this series will be discipline (both in limiting penalties and in puck possession), helping Rinne out as much as possible (he's elite, but if we can keep him from having to prove he's elite we are almost impossible to beat), exploiting any weaknesses in defense and goaltending every time we get a chance, and good coaching (especially in terms of match ups). Anaheim isn't a deep team. I think Trotz wins this coaching duel.
So your saying:

Spaling-Fisher-Ward
Hornqvist-Legward-Erat

As your top six? (provided Erat is healthy)

Old
04-10-2011, 04:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So your saying:

Spaling-Fisher-Ward
Hornqvist-Legward-Erat

As your top six? (provided Erat is healthy)
That was before I remembered that O'Reilly might be able to go. If he and Erat are both healthy then I think we need to keep Fish on a scoring line and let Spaling/Smithson/Ward take care of shut down duties. If neither of them can go I think we need to have a shutdown line for the games in Anaheim at least, and I'd rather see Fish center it than Legwand.

Closed Thread