HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: Detroit vs. Phoenix

View Poll Results: Who wins and in how many games?
Detroit in 4 8 5.80%
Detroit in 5 27 19.57%
Detroit in 6 72 52.17%
Detroit in 7 15 10.87%
Phoenix in 4 1 0.72%
Phoneix in 5 1 0.72%
Phoenix in 6 8 5.80%
Phoenix in 7 6 4.35%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2011, 05:19 PM
  #26
DarkReign
Registered User
 
DarkReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
I wouldnt be surprised to see Smith get inserted into the lineup at some point, but I'd feel better with Kindl playing over the useless turnover machine known as Salei.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:24 PM
  #27
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Detroit in 6.
I don't know how a team like Phx gets into the playoffs with rubbish like Fiddler and Stempniak playing a key role.
They're obviously well-coached.
Detroit got the best possible draw here (except, maybe LA, without Kopitar).
That said, any team with Shane Doan as captain is going to make you earn it. Guys like Doan, Hanzal, Upshall and Pyatt are going to be handfuls and our defense better be ready to get hit.

Their D, meanwhile, has a pretty nice mix of vets and youngsters. Outside of Yandle, though, nobody is a big producer. Strange how far Adrian Aucoin's numbers have fallen.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
  #28
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,956
vCash: 500
Hanzal is out indefinitely and hasn't played since early march, what's his prognosis?

mindfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:37 PM
  #29
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,672
vCash: 500
Hanzal is back and good to go. He played against SJ. Can't remember If it was the first or second of the home and home.


Last edited by WingedWheel1987: 04-10-2011 at 05:44 PM.
WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:45 PM
  #30
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Detroit in 6.
I don't know how a team like Phx gets into the playoffs with rubbish like Fiddler and Stempniak playing a key role.
They're obviously well-coached.
Detroit got the best possible draw here (except, maybe LA, without Kopitar).
That said, any team with Shane Doan as captain is going to make you earn it. Guys like Doan, Hanzal, Upshall and Pyatt are going to be handfuls and our defense better be ready to get hit.

Their D, meanwhile, has a pretty nice mix of vets and youngsters. Outside of Yandle, though, nobody is a big producer. Strange how far Adrian Aucoin's numbers have fallen.
You pretty much summed it up. I do not feel like there's more to say.
Good post.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:47 PM
  #31
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,956
vCash: 500
Yes, that fact that they have so many euros is a good thing.

mindfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:05 PM
  #32
Xvash2
Registered User
 
Xvash2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,080
vCash: 500
Everything should go alright in this series.

Unless....

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:20 PM
  #33
chances14
Registered User
 
chances14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 6,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post
Everything should go alright in this series.

Unless....
not to worried about doan. he will probably go out of his way to run one our players and separate his shoulder again

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
  #34
Heaton
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 17,326
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Detroit in 6.
I don't know how a team like Phx gets into the playoffs with rubbish like Fiddler and Stempniak playing a key role.
They're obviously well-coached.
Detroit got the best possible draw here (except, maybe LA, without Kopitar).
That said, any team with Shane Doan as captain is going to make you earn it. Guys like Doan, Hanzal, Upshall and Pyatt are going to be handfuls and our defense better be ready to get hit.

Their D, meanwhile, has a pretty nice mix of vets and youngsters. Outside of Yandle, though, nobody is a big producer. Strange how far Adrian Aucoin's numbers have fallen.
Agreed on most accounts. Upshall is on Columbus now though.

I think Phoenix will be stingy but they're not as good as they were last year.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:34 PM
  #35
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
not to worried about doan. he will probably go out of his way to run one our players and separate his shoulder again

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:38 PM
  #36
silkyjohnson50*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,183
vCash: 500
I think today confirmed that Salei will definitely get the nod over Kindl to begin to playoffs (assuming Kronwall returns.) With that being said, i could easily see Babcock making the switch after a loss or two.

As good as Datsyuk was today, his line was still on the ice for two goals against. Why? On Chicago's 2nd goal, Salei and Holmstrom failed to clear the puck. On their 3rd goal, Holmstrom lost his man in coverage. The common denomintor in both goals? Holmstrom. I don't question his effort and he can still bring value inside the offensive zone, but he is such a liability at times. Babcock removed him from the Datsyuk line after Chicago's 3rd goal and went to a 3 line rotation, sitting Holmstrom, Hudler, and Modano. Does Babcock continue to roll him out there on the top line? With Zetterberg likely out to begin the playoffs, we need Datsyuk to be the best player on the ice. I cringe at the thought of our best player playing with two guys who are not playing great hockey right now (Franzen included). It's tough because i can't imagine him touching the Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi line. They've looked very good in the playoff type games (against Nashville and today.)

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
  #37
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
I think today confirmed that Salei will definitely get the nod over Kindl to begin to playoffs (assuming Kronwall returns.) With that being said, i could easily see Babcock making the switch after a loss or two.

As good as Datsyuk was today, his line was still on the ice for two goals against. Why? On Chicago's 2nd goal, Salei and Holmstrom failed to clear the puck. On their 3rd goal, Holmstrom lost his man in coverage. The common denomintor in both goals? Holmstrom. I don't question his effort and he can still bring value inside the offensive zone, but he is such a liability at times. Babcock removed him from the Datsyuk line after Chicago's 3rd goal and went to a 3 line rotation, sitting Holmstrom, Hudler, and Modano. Does Babcock continue to roll him out there on the top line? With Zetterberg likely out to begin the playoffs, we need Datsyuk to be the best player on the ice. I cringe at the thought of our best player playing with two guys who are not playing great hockey right now (Franzen included). It's tough because i can't imagine him touching the Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi line. They've looked very good in the playoff type games (against Nashville and today.)
I was stunned that Homer was even on the ice so late in the game at even strength.
By the way, Bertuzzi had a very good game.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:27 PM
  #38
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I was stunned that Homer was even on the ice so late in the game at even strength.
By the way, Bertuzzi had a very good game.
The way Bertuzzi has stepped up his play has been great. He is ap hysical force again its great to see. Hes been playing the toughest hockey Ive seen him play as a wing these past couple weeks since he has been with Abdelkader.

When hes physical he produces as well. Hopefully these 2 stay together come playoff time (keep your head up Yandle)

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
  #39
HockeyinHD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,939
vCash: 500
Welcome to the new and improved NHL. It is now almost impossible to handicap these games.

If they were healthy, Detroit would beat Phoenix handily. But they aren't healthy. They will be missing at least one of their best two forwards and one of their best 3 dmen to start the playoffs... or if either/both play they will be substantially limited. Not to mention whether or not Datsyuk's anywhere near full strength (I don't think he is).

Detroit's play over the past 6 weeks has been underwhelming to say the least, and I don't think there's a single player on the roster one could describe as 'on a roll' right now. The goalie play isn't particularly impressing me, and with the team at significantly less than full strength it's not like Howard will have much of a crutch to protect him.

Wings in 7... and it's going to be a tight, tight 7. 2 or 3 OT games, and at least one multi OT game.

And one more injury flips the series completely around.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
  #40
HockeyinHD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I was stunned that Homer was even on the ice so late in the game at even strength.
I was too... but what were the options? Z and Eaves were out. Hudler isn't going to be out there. Modano was garbage the whole night. That only leaves 5 or 6 forwards the Wings could ordinarily trust, and I can't imagine Babcock shortening the bench to two forward lines late for a game that doesn't really mean anything to Detroit and risk another crushing injury.

That means some shaky-ass folks out there at ES late in the game, making me sweat.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
  #41
icKx
Registered User
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
If they were healthy, Detroit would beat Phoenix handily. But they aren't healthy. They will be missing at least one of their best two forwards and one of their best 3 dmen to start the playoffs... or if either/both play they will be substantially limited. Not to mention whether or not Datsyuk's anywhere near full strength (I don't think he is).
Ted Kulfan (Detroit News) is reporting Kronwall will return for the start of the series.

If Datsyuk is less than 100% he sure isn't playing like it imo.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:49 PM
  #42
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
I was too... but what were the options? Z and Eaves were out. Hudler isn't going to be out there. Modano was garbage the whole night. That only leaves 5 or 6 forwards the Wings could ordinarily trust, and I can't imagine Babcock shortening the bench to two forward lines late for a game that doesn't really mean anything to Detroit and risk another crushing injury.

That means some shaky-ass folks out there at ES late in the game, making me sweat.
Well, after the goal, he benched him and went with three lines..
It didn't really matter to the Wings, I guess. But I think that losing that game after being up 4-2 would have been a pretty dejecting way to end a season that started really well and ended on a down note.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:50 PM
  #43
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Ted Kulfan (Detroit News) is reporting Kronwall will return for the start of the series.

If Datsyuk is less than 100% he sure isn't playing like it imo.
Datsyuk's hands are back to their magic hold selves. But his skating doesn't have that acceleration that makes him a really dangerous player in the neutral zone, when he can shift gears and catch defensemen sleeping.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:14 PM
  #44
canadianwingnut
Registered User
 
canadianwingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brockville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,745
vCash: 500
in six

Jimmy's got this one, hope Z is back sometime before or during this series at as close to 100% as possible.

canadianwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:22 PM
  #45
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,672
vCash: 500
Good news. Wings start on Thursday.

NM They play Wednesday ...........damn


Last edited by WingedWheel1987: 04-10-2011 at 10:04 PM.
WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
  #46
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby
 
Mount Royal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
Tough choice. With Z, I say Wings in 5. I still remember when he took over game 2 last year. Without, Wings in 6. Cause I'm confident to be honest...

Mount Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:47 PM
  #47
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
The other thing to consider here is Howard.
In my eyes, if he performs like last year, I'm going to have a tough time getting behind Jimmy as starter.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:51 PM
  #48
jacK
Registered User
 
jacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
hopefully as short as possible so traveling back and forth from Winnip... Phoenix doesn't take its toll on the guys.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:53 PM
  #49
loojay
Registered User
 
loojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
For the Canadians on here CBC will show the Wings/Yotes series:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2011/...-schedule.html

I don't have cable so now I don't have to go searching for a crappy stream. Also, I'm a big fan of HNIC so this is good news. Go Wings!

loojay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:04 PM
  #50
HamiltonRedWings
Registered User
 
HamiltonRedWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: McMaster University
Country: Canada
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Wooooo CBC gets the series

HamiltonRedWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.