HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round 1: New York vs Washington (Game 1: Wed @ 7:30 MSG+, VS)

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 02:25 PM
VJ Rangerfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
And I don't think Avery was ready for regular season hockey.

Yesterdays game was essentially an elimination playoff game for the Rangers. Avery was benched infavor of MZA, who was down in Hartford up until yesterday.

They will play MZA for as long as his play deserves it.
This was solely for shootout purposes, which Torts readily admitted. I see Aves gettin a shot in the PO's, but will he be able to keep his spot? Not if he keeps playing lifeless hockey. I was one who saw the skill in Avery and he shows it every once in a while, but his hockey play has def had a set back this year.

Old
04-10-2011, 02:26 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
There are a few things that have to happen for the Rangers to win this series.

1. Lundqvist must be great.

2. We must get more power plays than penalties. Stay out of the box. Washington has the #2 ranked PK in the NHL.

3. We must control possession and score goals from the grind at even strength. This makes the Prust and Anisimov lines especially important.

4. Gaborik must make an appearance, in at least 2 games.

5. Staal-Girardi must play like Staal-Girardi, and our rookie dmen cannot falter.
Agree with 1-3, 5. But #4 I have a problem with. You want an elite NHL forward who makes 7.5 mil to show up in only 2 games? Gaborik needs to be a presence in every game. I think you gave him 2 games because you know that showing up in more than that is too much to ask.

Old
04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Sick Promo.

But I really think we can take this in 6 or 7. We have to show up for all of these games though, no eggs. Also great playoff experience for Stepan, McD, Sauer, Anisimov, etc.

Old
04-10-2011, 02:37 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
beat me to it King. my thoughts exactly except i think you throw out the season series results. I was at the Caps/FLA game on weds & WAS looked awfull (they won in spite of it) except for OV who will be a BEAST to contain this postseason. NY is used to playing playoff like games for the last 2 months, question is - do they have enough left? i say YES
They won that game 5-2.

Old
04-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post

Sick Promo.

But I really think we can take this in 6 or 7. We have to show up for all of these games though, no eggs. Also great playoff experience for Stepan, McD, Sauer, Anisimov, etc.
That promo is pretty sick. Makes me pumped for Knicks basketball as well.

Old
04-10-2011, 02:51 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I know the caps have been a different team since we last played them, but I really like the way we match up against them. They're a team we can outplay in terms of individual battles and physicality even on their best day. Their goaltending and defense can be suspect at times. We've got the tools to slow down Ovechkin on defense. We just need to show up and have guys step up big the way they did yesterday (come on, no one in the world would've guessed Drury, Wolski, and McDonagh would all score goals yesterday).

Gaborik and Prospal need to have big series IMO. McCabe needs to really step up and QB the powerplay. Other guys need to play their roles as well (Drury needs to be a PK presence and win faceoffs the way he did yesterday. Boyle and Prust need to push people around the way they did yesterday.)

All the lines need to bring the energy they have most of the year.

It'll be interesting to see who Torts goes with on the 4th line and on defense. The lack of a shootout in the playoffs leaves the status of Christensen, Wolski and MZA up in the air (I suspect MZA will be sent back down). Eminger V. Gilroy is interesting. I was surprised to see Gilroy get the call for the Devils game.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:01 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post

Sick Promo.

Love how it's just referred to as "The Playoffs." Pretty bad ass.

MSG always comes out with sick promos though. The ones late in the season for the Rangers have been pretty good and the Melo one though a little over the top was well done as well.

Speaking of promos, I loved the 08 ones against the Devils when they used "Believe" as the song.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:06 PM
stasiewich
Monahan 4 president

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
The lack of a shootout in the playoffs leaves the status of Christensen, Wolski and MZA up in the air (I suspect MZA will be sent back down). Eminger V. Gilroy is interesting. I was surprised to see Gilroy get the call for the Devils game.
Remember, Christensen had a huge game when we beat Washington 7-0 I expect Torts to leave him in and send MZA down possibly?

Old
04-10-2011, 03:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Emrick said the Rangers-Caps will be start Wednesday night on VS. He was plugging the VS and NBC schedules. NBC will have Detroit-Phoenix next Sunday.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:42 PM
darko

I got a feeling that Gaborik will be a monster in this series. Just a hunch.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:44 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Emrick said the Rangers-Caps will be start Wednesday night on VS. He was plugging the VS and NBC schedules. NBC will have Detroit-Phoenix next Sunday.
You sure it was Sunday and not Saturday? That means Rangers - Caps would have to be on NBC Saturday so the schedule would go Wednesday - Saturday than back to MSG Monday. No way NBC passes up Ovechkin and the Caps and the big market Rangers.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:48 PM
3Four3

I don't know why they can't have both: Games on VS or NBC and games on MSG.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

All the games that air on VS will also be carried by MSG. But not when we're on NBC though.

Old
04-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Ail
k.

Can't wait! We won't have to watch some ****** replay of the Rangers missing it by a ROW, or in a shootout this year! YES!

Old
04-10-2011, 04:00 PM
eco's bones

Feel better about our chances beating the Caps with this team than the team we had two years ago. We're younger, more balanced and grittier. We have more resources to draw from. Callahan is a huge loss though. There is no one even close to him on our team in regard to hitting and pressuring an opponents defense on the forecheck--throw in the rest of his game and that's a big loss.

The Caps may be exploitable on defense. Green just coming back from a concussion--Wideman and Poti are out. If Green is not 100% he might not be all that effective on the pwp which could hurt them a lot. Rangers have to be patient and resilent--and stay away from needless penalties.

The last go around with them the Rangers were dominated in our own end even in games we won. It's a testament to how good Lundqvist was in that series that we even got past five. The Caps should win this but I think we have a much better chance of pulling off an upset this time around.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:15 PM
truebluegoalie

I just took a look at the washington board. Seems the rangers shouldn't even show up for this series. In fact this guy seems to think it is baseball where the first round is a best of 5:

"I honestly don't see the Rangers posing any threat at all. Caps in 4, if the Rags are lucky. Book it, Lundqvist will falter."

damn I want to win this series so ****ing badly.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I just took a look at the washington board. Seems the rangers shouldn't even show up for this series. In fact this guy seems to think it is baseball where the first round is a best of 5:

"I honestly don't see the Rangers posing any threat at all. Caps in 4, if the Rags are lucky. Book it, Lundqvist will falter."

damn I want to win this series so ****ing badly.
"Lundqvist will falter" when the only fans their shaky goalies have are all the puckbunnies who think Neuvirth is cute.

Rangers win in 7. Book it.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
"Lundqvist will falter" when the only fans their shaky goalies have are all the puckbunnies who think Neuvirth is cute.
I guess when a goalie singlehandedly almost steals a series you have to grasp at straws.

Oh and I don't condone trolling just went to look.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:30 PM
boxcar
we want MOORE

just got tix to game 1 in DC. Psyched up! LGR!

Old
04-10-2011, 04:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
just got tix to game 1 in DC. Psyched up! LGR!
How much were they? I'm gonna try to snag a pair myself.

It's just pain.
Old
04-10-2011, 04:39 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Good luck guys! It will def. be a fun series(which isn't?). Both teams are much different than the last time we met in the postseason... Can't wait til Wednesday

Old
04-10-2011, 04:51 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
I really want to beat them now reading their board. They seem to think every Ranger player is going to have a bad series. It's completely laughable.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
04-10-2011, 04:52 PM
boxcar
we want MOORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
How much were they? I'm gonna try to snag a pair myself.
79 each on ebay. last row upstairs on the blueline

check craigslist dc. some decent prices even from brokers. $75+fees = $89ish

Old
04-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Some of you have forgotten what the playoffs can be like.

Hold no punches when it comes to putting down your opponent. Respect becomes a non factor.

Playoffs are all out war.

Anything can happen, but I certainly am not in the boat of people that think that if the Rangers win, it would be in 7. I think we could potentially take it in 6 or 5 depending.

Old
04-10-2011, 04:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I really want to beat them now reading their board. They seem to think every Ranger player is going to have a bad series. It's completely laughable.
I think I would hate the fanbase of EVERY playoff team in the east if they played us. Except maybe Buffalo.

Closed Thread