HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky named playoff starter, Boucher will be backup

Old
04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Every goalie in the league drops down to butterfly 'too early'. The difference right now for Bobs is that he sits in the butterfly too low, hence leaving the entire upper net wide open. Yeah I know, every time a goalie drops down to b-fly the upper net is open but Bobs' butt almost touches the ice.

Still, I'd give Bobrovsky the nod. Boosh is a good backup.
Bob's stance/bfly is super tight and low to the ice. It's great for making saves down low and being prepared for lateral second save selection (it's a big part of why he appears to be so ridiculously quick), but terrible if the shots go high. It's also causing him issues with vision through traffic....again, all things I've been saying since preseason.

If he learns to keep his shoulders and arms up, and try to stop those high saves by shifting his hands up rather than trying to turn down and get his elbow on it, he'll do better with the high shots. So yeah, you're right...it's not as much a timing thing as form. Bob is tall enough to get away with dropping earlier than others, but he doesn't always play it right.

Side note: I vaguely recall someone a little while back talking about Boucher being - essentially - a step above a locker room cancer. But, he just won the class act award from the team...thoughts?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:34 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I'm more worried about the team defense than I am Bob. Lately, they've been giving up way too many breakaways and not clearing the front of the net. Also, I can't remember the last time I saw someone lay down to block a shot. I'm sure I've missed it when they have, but last year it seemed like EVERYONE was doing it all the time.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 02:36 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
while back talking about Boucher being - essentially - a step above a locker room cancer. But, he just won the class act award from the team...thoughts?
I remember hearing someone say that too. I never believed it, everything else I've ever heard about the guy has been that he's a true class act and a great teammate.

Old
04-10-2011, 02:44 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I remember hearing someone say that too. I never believed it, everything else I've ever heard about the guy has been that he's a true class act and a great teammate.
Yeah, it seemed like a kind of misinformed, speculative throw-in comment to deride the guy (and build up Leighton more). I just wasn't sure where it came from and if people really felt that way. I know guys wanted to hang him up after his comments about not starting in the opener and all that, and that maybe it was an extension of that business.

Either way, he's always had a reputation for being classy and a good teammate/backup, and that award certainly reinforces that image...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 04:35 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Bottom line is our goaltending is fine and if our team can play like the team did last year in front of minor leaguer Leighton we will be just fine. Get to work.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:00 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Darren Dreger said Leighton is the #2 behind Bobrovsky for the playoffs. Somebody Tweet him and ask WTF!

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNote View Post
Darren Dreger said Leighton is the #2 behind Bobrovsky for the playoffs. Somebody Tweet him and ask WTF!

considering Lavi never says what hes doing with the goalies in advance i seriously question that info as little more then a guess..

but i hope hes RIGHT..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:50 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
considering Lavi never says what hes doing with the goalies in advance i seriously question that info as little more then a guess..

but i hope hes RIGHT..
There's no way Leighton is the backup. I had originally thought if Leighton played in one of the final two games that him being the backup was the plan. It'll be Bob and Boosh.

Old
04-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Villedelphia*

So when Bob gets pulled in game 1 , who gets game 2?

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

I hope it's Bob and Boosh, it's too late to make a change in my opinion. Both of have have been solid this year, and there isn't a reason to get rid of either of them right now.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:00 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Goaltending is how the Sabres can win the series. We know it, you know it. We'll find out soon whether your guys have the magic they had last year. Of course, your defence doesn't hurt either. I'm hoping Prongs is still a little sore.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 07:31 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

but i hope hes RIGHT..
If he's right,the Flyers are ****ed.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
John Flyers Fan

Why is everyone assuming that we're facing the Ryan Miller from the Olympics last year ?? That guy hasn't shown up too often this year.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Mike Johnson said the same thing.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:52 AM
SelanneLion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Why is everyone assuming that we're facing the Ryan Miller from the Olympics last year ?? That guy hasn't shown up too often this year.
You can't kill clutch, man. And he's clutch.

SelanneLion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Yeah, you're not just talking out of your ass or anything. Don't be ridiculous. Ryan Miller has a lot to do with why the Sabres were able to turn around their season and go 16-4-4 (36 of a possible 48 points) down the stretch. Overlook him at your own peril.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:13 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
No way. I got to google this. Wow.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
The Flyers have had success with top goalies not named Thomas this year. It's the backups they can't beat. I'm not as concerned about Miller as I am about some of their quick forwards. Some of the Flyers defensemen can keep up with them, but O'Donnell gets exposed badly.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yeah, you're not just talking out of your ass or anything. Don't be ridiculous. Ryan Miller has a lot to do with why the Sabres were able to turn around their season and go 16-4-4 (36 of a possible 48 points) down the stretch. Overlook him at your own peril.
Miller's been pretty much just himself during their end of season run.

That's not to discard what he's done, I'm just saying he isn't exactly on fire, and the Flyers don't have their biggest scoring issues against better goalies.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:46 AM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Yeah, it seemed like a kind of misinformed, speculative throw-in comment to deride the guy (and build up Leighton more). I just wasn't sure where it came from and if people really felt that way. I know guys wanted to hang him up after his comments about not starting in the opener and all that, and that maybe it was an extension of that business.

Either way, he's always had a reputation for being classy and a good teammate/backup, and that award certainly reinforces that image...
Yea I've never heard even a whisper about Boucher being a cancer or anything like that. He's been a backup for awhile now, hard to believe he'd suddenly start making waves about it. I read the same thing about Leighton ironically, I think it was in the Leighton recall thread, nothing concrete, just a comment...that thread's been about 25 pages of pointless anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Mike Johnson said the same thing.
Now if I'm Boucher I might have some serious issues with that. Play all year and get banished to the pressbox for a guy who's a massive question mark at best? And I generally like Leighton...but I don't see where Leighton's a massive upgrade to the point where you demote Boucher to let Leighton dress.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:53 AM
phillyfanatic

To start playoffs I hope and expect:
1. Bob
2. Boosh
3. Leighton

If Bob is good we are good and no worries about backups, etc. It only becomes an issue if Bob continues to do what he did this week, then things become very gray.

Heres hoping Bob comes out and is AWESOME in Game 1!!! Come on Bob. Please play Pronger, things are so much easier for Bob if Pronger is #1 and Meszaros goes back to solidifying our depth.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:17 AM
CTU2fan

The thing with Bob is he's somewhat inconsistent, so even if he lets some weak ones in in game 1 he might still be the best choice moving forward. Inconsistency is the hardest thing to coach around.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Bob's Rocky playoff mask is pretty sick. Just thought I'd point it out.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:27 PM
DoomMF

This team, without Leighton, is not going to make finals more than likely. That dude is magic.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:45 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I just went downstairs to grab a snack and I heard Fox 29 say Boosh was just named the starter for game 1. Whaaaaaaat? I assume they're fools.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote