Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2011, 09:31 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
After reading through the HF top prospects as they come out, it looks like Granlund has either been shafted by their editorial board, or he is in the top 10. Methinks the latter....
Pretty sure he'll be in the top 10. Probably right at, or around #10.

Also, am I totally off base thinking that Zucker is a better prospect than Shore? I mean, I've watched a good amount of Denver this year and Zucker has seemed like the stronger player. I guess it could be that I pay more attention to him...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

If Granlund's not in the top 50 something's wrong.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
now that you say cowbell it won't stop sounding in my head. Speaking of cows...Texas. In all the interviews I've been reading lately from the call-ups they always mention the great coaching down in Houston. It seems to be emphasized. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but...
Look, I'm no Richards basher but it seems like coaching is getting almost all of the credit from everyone for the Aero's unlikely success this season. Could this be the young players lobbying for their guy since they suspect Richards is out the door?
It's not only the young players. It's the fans, too.

Every time I have an offline conversation with an Aeros person, they say how great the coaching staff is down there. From Yeo to Sydor to Wiseman...

The fact that Yeo will fall on his own sword and then immediately adjust his mistakes out of their game is what I like to hear. Let me see if I can find the tweet...

"Yeo recently pushed them to "get the win" confusing "concentrate on process, not result". He evidently admitted that he wanted to just say "keep it simple, get the win" but the boys went out and pushed too hard and ended up losing the game. The next couple of practices, he went back to the basics and then they went on a four or a five game win streak.

I'm not sure that Yeo will be the immediate replacement for Todd Richards. I think it would be much much safer to go with a Therrien or a Hitchcock for two years, let Yeo grow and grow with the kids in Houston.

of course, if Houston brings home the Calder... That might change.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Agree with Boz again (jeez that happens a lot lately). Fletcher went young with T.Rich and kind of got burned (not saying it was Richards' fault necessarily). I'd give odds 95% that he goes the other way and gets an experienced coach like Therrien or Hitchcock than give another young guy his first NHL head coach job.

Yeo was Therrien's assistant for several years with the Pens as well. It's entirely possibly if Therrien gets the gig that Yeo would be the eventual successor.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:14 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Pretty sure he'll be in the top 10. Probably right at, or around #10.
And I was right.

This NCAA tourny is the first I've seen of this Lorenz kid. Like him a bit.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
And I was right.

This NCAA tourny is the first I've seen of this Lorenz kid. Like him a bit.
I've seen him for like 10 secs and already like his smooth and fluid skating...

Old
04-07-2011, 05:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i like his pretty eyelashes.

edit: j/k
i'm sure they're nice. i just thought i'd be positive.

Old
04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Agree with Boz again (jeez that happens a lot lately). Fletcher went young with T.Rich and kind of got burned (not saying it was Richards' fault necessarily). I'd give odds 95% that he goes the other way and gets an experienced coach like Therrien or Hitchcock than give another young guy his first NHL head coach job.

Yeo was Therrien's assistant for several years with the Pens as well. It's entirely possibly if Therrien gets the gig that Yeo would be the eventual successor.
The problem with a guy like Hitchcock is that he'll get everyone to shape up for roughly a season or so, then his message is tuned out.

My guess is that if there is a firing/hiring, its in house for continuity and financial purposes...i.e. Mike Yeo.

Old
04-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You could say the same thing about Therrien, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's hired and then replaced by Yeo in two years.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I doubt we would hire Yeo or Therrien. Weren't we suppose to transition into a more offensive style? Wouldn't that just be a step back?

Old
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Would back to back 9th overall picks be considered a step forward? This team only had success playing defensively. If we're going to keep running, gunning, and tanking, keep Richards. If you want to win, get a coach who can have his guys play defense.

Old
04-08-2011, 09:53 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I doubt we would hire Yeo or Therrien. Weren't we suppose to transition into a more offensive style? Wouldn't that just be a step back?
Don't take this as a flame, but how has that helped us? Changing to a more offensive style has crippled this team and this roster. Guess what? The roster isn't changing that much. Your typical NHL player is not suited for a run and gun style, either.

Look at the Caps this season. Boudreau changed to a 1-2-2 wing lock defensive system. Bylsma changes his system based on his lines. AV in Vancouver also changes the style of play based on who he has on the ice.

Changing coaches to a more defensive system does not mean that we go back to the Jacques Lemaire neutral zone trap. There are other versions of a 1-2-2 that work.

Getting a coach that can adapt line to get the best out of his roster is key...

Having a coach that has this ideal system in his head and tries to fit a round peg into a square hole... Just dumb.

Old
04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I thought Lemaire was a coach who would fit his players into his system, except his was a defensive one. And I'd agree the best coaches are those who can tailor their system to the players and vice versa. Either way, line matchups are a huge part of coaching and Richards hasn't been good in this area. A lot of times people think a coaching change will magically make a crap team awesome, but I think getting a better, more experienced coach could get the team at least 2-3 wins just off better line matching alone.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Jbcraig1883

It could be just me but Mcmillan looks better than Almond ever looked. I know Almond has better hands but Mcmillan seems to have NHL speed and is more physical. It would be great if both of them could fill out the 3rd and 4th line centers but I just wanted to bring Mcmillan to our attention since he isn't mentioned much.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:48 PM
BagHead

Hey, long time lurker, finally decided to throw my voice into this.

I've really liked McMillan as well. He's been getting a bit of puck luck, and it'd be insane to expect him to produce offensively with any consistency, but he has looked up to speed and he's been playing very physically. I think that kid's definitely going to make it. Not sure if he needs more seasoning or not, though. I'd still bring Madden back for one more year if I were Fletch.

Another guy who has looked great is Gillies! Monster game today, and the kid finally looks like he knows what he's doing out there. He's using his body, winning battles and using that speed of his with purpose. I doubt he'll ever be the big power forward some of us were hoping for, but today's game he showed flashes of why we thought he might turn into one. If he can do that even one game in five, he's going to be a great 3rd line wing. And who knows? Maybe he will become a poor mans Andrew Ladd.

Old
04-10-2011, 11:30 PM
pbunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagHead View Post
Hey, long time lurker, finally decided to throw my voice into this.

I've really liked McMillan as well. He's been getting a bit of puck luck, and it'd be insane to expect him to produce offensively with any consistency, but he has looked up to speed and he's been playing very physically. I think that kid's definitely going to make it. Not sure if he needs more seasoning or not, though. I'd still bring Madden back for one more year if I were Fletch.

Another guy who has looked great is Gillies! Monster game today, and the kid finally looks like he knows what he's doing out there. He's using his body, winning battles and using that speed of his with purpose. I doubt he'll ever be the big power forward some of us were hoping for, but today's game he showed flashes of why we thought he might turn into one. If he can do that even one game in five, he's going to be a great 3rd line wing. And who knows? Maybe he will become a poor mans Andrew Ladd.
I like your bit about gillies. The guy just seems to have needed a reset almost. If you're going to compare him to ladd - he didnt really come into his own until 08-09 after 4-5 years in the league (if i remember right). i think given time and confidence he could turn into an andrew ladd (sans the 'poor-mans')

Old
04-11-2011, 09:07 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Gillies riding shotgun for Granlund...someone to crash the net so Granlund doesn't get smacked around. He's got the speed to get there while the play is being set up. Way to high on Gillies right now based on such a small sample but dammit...it's the offseason!

Old
04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
nickschultzfan

If Gillies turns into an Andrew Ladd, he should play with Havlat. Havlat plays best when he can dump the puck or pass it away and he has a big body to get the puck back.

That would free up Latendresse to play with Bouchard and Koivu.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gillies does look like he's got NHL speed and size and has loads of energy. He still has no hands though. I'd like to see him on the fourth line next year in place of Nystrom, who's like a slower, smaller version of Gillies.

McMillan/Almond...I'm still not sure either of them can be better than a fourth line center in the NHL, but it's better than watching an overpaid free agent doing the same thing, and there's always that small chance they might do something.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
If Gillies turns into an Andrew Ladd, he should play with Havlat. Havlat plays best when he can dump the puck or pass it away and he has a big body to get the puck back.

That would free up Latendresse to play with Bouchard and Koivu.
I would be ecstatic if Gillies turned out like Ladd, but I'm keeping more hopes a little more realistic.

Gillies next to Clutterbuck would be a killer forechecking, energy line. A line that skate fast, hit, forecheck, cause turnovers, and once in awhile, pot in some goals.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
It could be just me but Mcmillan looks better than Almond ever looked. I know Almond has better hands but Mcmillan seems to have NHL speed and is more physical. It would be great if both of them could fill out the 3rd and 4th line centers but I just wanted to bring Mcmillan to our attention since he isn't mentioned much.
The thing that cannot be overlooked is the situation which Cody Almond was called up for vs. McMillan. Almond was brought up for a team in the playoffs that just lost their #1 center. McMillan was brought up to an eliminated team just to reward him for his effort in Houston. One felt he had to make plays, the other was just doing what he had been doing in Houston.

McMillan has looked good though. One of my favorite Hitmen players all-time. He fit like a glove on that 4th line. Madden didn't gel that well with those guys. There were times this year where Madden would over-commit and get the line out of position on the fore-check. There were times where Madden tried to make fancy plays and cost us. But McMillan, he kept it simple, great positioning, and perhaps the most important thing for a 4th line player was his shift length. Only once(that I recall) did he get caught out there for a long shift, stuck in the defensive zone. Kept his positioning and got the puck out himself and went right to the bench to get Koivu out there. 39 seconds/shift, the lowest of any player to play for the Wild this season.

The face-offs were bad like Almond though. Can't get by at 40% in this league. Both of them need to be better. Should be learning from Peters, who came up and schooled everyone with his 62%.

Its still debatable whether center is the best position for McMillan, whereas Almond's been more of a center his career. He's solid enough positionally to play it, but with the poor face-offs, and some lost opportunities to fore-check, it may not be ideal. He likes to hit. Sort of like Nystrom in that regard, that yes he can play center, but do you want him to play center.

I'm fine with an Almond/McMillan/Nystrom/Wellman/Sheppard competition for the 4th center position next season. Of course if Wellman's playing center it shouldn't be line 4, but Cullen basically played like a 4th line center even-strength this past season, so he could move down.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It might be a great line in the AHL, but in the NHL I honestly don't think you can have a guy who MIGHT hit 10 goals in a season in the top nine. Gillies had size, speed, and energy, but that's the definition of a fourth liner, unless he either has scoring ability or great defensive play.

I always think, where would Gillies play on the Detroit Red Wings or Washington Capitals? He'd be a borderline fourth liner.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I would be ecstatic if Gillies turned out like Ladd, but I'm keeping more hopes a little more realistic.

Gillies next to Clutterbuck would be a killer forechecking, energy line. A line that skate fast, hit, forecheck, cause turnovers, and once in awhile, pot in some goals.
Those were my exact thoughts while watching him play last night.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
It might be a great line in the AHL, but in the NHL I honestly don't think you can have a guy who MIGHT hit 10 goals in a season in the top nine. Gillies had size, speed, and energy, but that's the definition of a fourth liner, unless he either has scoring ability or great defensive play.

I always think, where would Gillies play on the Detroit Red Wings or Washington Capitals? He'd be a borderline fourth liner.
I disagree. I think that is the definition of a bottom six forward. I guess it really a matter of preference, but I enjoy having a third line that has Clutterbuck-like attributes (skates hard, hits hard, causes havok, and puts up a few points once in awhile)

Old
04-11-2011, 10:44 AM
saywut

Quote:

Well Gillies isn't a lock for our team next year. Wellman's probably got a better shot at a top-9 spot based on his performance in his final call-up.

Closed Thread