HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Kirk Muller be signed by another team?

Old
04-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Craig71

vCash: 500
I think Lemaire is staying in Jersey based on HNIC, Ottawa will take the junior guy, his boss is Brian Murrays boss I can see Florida as a possibility just because every team that fires a coach will be a possibility.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:52 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

For sure don't want to see him go but it seems inevitable.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I think Lemaire is staying in Jersey based on HNIC, Ottawa will take the junior guy, his boss is Brian Murrays boss I can see Florida as a possibility just because every team that fires a coach will be a possibility.
Lemaire announced after the game today that he's done

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
I doubt they're in the market for another rookie coach, but stranger things have happened...
Mclean came straight from the AHL and was obviously not prepared...Muller is ready

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 04-11-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Guys, tell me: what kind of coach would Muller make, and could he handle the Devils?

For better or worse, MacLean had spent 6 years as a Devils assistant before spending 1 year in the AHL before becoming our coach. I'm terrified of another rookie coach collapsing under the pressure.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Owen Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Guys, tell me: what kind of coach would Muller make, and could he handle the Devils?

For better or worse, MacLean had spent 6 years as a Devils assistant before spending 1 year in the AHL before becoming our coach. I'm terrified of another rookie coach collapsing under the pressure.
I would think the pressure in Montreal is waaaaay higher than in Jersey...even as an assistant.

Muller is ready.

Old
04-10-2011, 09:30 PM
TomPlex

Ottawa.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:31 PM
shakenbake7

Take it for what it's worth, but I got a chance to meet and talk to Kirk Muller about two weeks ago. I asked him about potentially getting a promotion in Montreal, and he said he sure hopes so, but if he's given a head coaching gig anywhere in the league, he's gone. He said he was ready for it a few times. I also asked him about Guy Boucher's departure and if it were any indication that he was the heir apparent in Montreal, but he said everything with Guy happened so fast and they didn't want him to go. They couldn't hold him back with the amount of offers he received though.

As for speculation about Kirk Muller turning down offers last year, he told me that he didn't get a chance to talk to anyone because there's a window in his contract that allows him to talk to other teams, but he was never offered a job within that span. Had he been offered a head coaching gig though, he would have taken it.

So, all that to say, unless Jacques Martin is no longer our head coach this offseason, Captain Kirk is gone the moment he's offered a head coaching gig.

shakenbake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I expect Muller to leave, and Ottawa/New Jersey are the obvious options.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:46 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
Mclean came straight from the AHL and was obviously not prepared...Muller is ready
He's ready to be a head-coach somewhere, but I don't think he fits NJ's needs as they'll probably want to compete right away.

I'd say Muller's a much better fit for team in need of a rebuild.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
He's ready to be a head-coach somewhere, but I don't think he fits NJ's needs as they'll probably want to compete right away.

I'd say Muller's a much better fit for team in need of a rebuild.
Why is that?

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 09:48 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake7 View Post
Take it for what it's worth, but I got a chance to meet and talk to Kirk Muller about two weeks ago. I asked him about potentially getting a promotion in Montreal, and he said he sure hopes so, but if he's given a head coaching gig anywhere in the league, he's gone. He said he was ready for it a few times. I also asked him about Guy Boucher's departure and if it were any indication that he was the heir apparent in Montreal, but he said everything with Guy happened so fast and they didn't want him to go. They couldn't hold him back with the amount of offers he received though.

As for speculation about Kirk Muller turning down offers last year, he told me that he didn't get a chance to talk to anyone because there's a window in his contract that allows him to talk to other teams, but he was never offered a job within that span. Had he been offered a head coaching gig though, he would have taken it.

So, all that to say, unless Jacques Martin is no longer our head coach this offseason, Captain Kirk is gone the moment he's offered a head coaching gig.
Great stuff!
I always loved Captain Kirk but it comes a time for someone professionally to move on (upwards that is).
So expect Muller to be coaching somewhere else next year, if he gets a job elsewhere.
Jersey seems to be a good fit. Problem is not sure Lou is very keen about bringing in another rookie coach.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Lemaire announced after the game today that he's done
Oops I missed that. I highly doubt that the Devils will risk another unproven coach. I heard it mentioned however that the Devils play picked up after Jamie Langenbrunner was traded, so maybe the problems were chemistry problems between players and Maclean was an unfortunate casualty. I think though that Muller will be gone unless Martin has had enough, I mean 600 wins and not getting any younger. I hope Muller stays and is given a shot despite the language issue.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
MacLean spent a few years as an assistant in New Jersey too. If anything he was more qualified than Muller.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Owen Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
MacLean spent a few years as an assistant in New Jersey too. If anything he was more qualified than Muller.
My bad, I didn't realize Mclean was an assistant prior to his year in the AHL

Old
04-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I think Muller should try head coaching in the AHL first but he undoubtedly will leave the Habs this summer.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:07 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:

It's hard to tell exactly what kind of coach he'll be. What we know for sure is that he's incredibly vocal and does ALL of the talking behind the bench. The players absolutely love him and it'll be a huge loss for Montreal once he leaves.

04-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Would be funny to see him go there and DeBoer take his place here, seeing as Jacques hired PD in Florida.
Good call. I could also see DeBoer as head coach in Hamilton for a year, and Cunneyworth becoming an assistant in Montreal.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:31 AM
macavoy

Martin > Muller ainec

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Martin > Muller ainec
Plus it's even debatable that Cunneyworth even has the potential to be better than Muller.

Muller could very well have the potential to be better than Martin though in the coming years who knows.

That being said, I don't think our team is going to have to look to for to bring in another solid assistant coach, Cunneyworth being a prime example.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Plus it's even debatable that Cunneyworth even has the potential to be better than Muller.

Muller could very well have the potential to be better than Martin though in the coming years who knows.

That being said, I don't think our team is going to have to look to for to bring in another solid assistant coach, Cunneyworth being a prime example.
Muller needs a chance to go to a team like Florida or Ottawa where he will be given a year to adjust. Throwing him to NJ or Montreal wouldn't be the best option for someone who has no head coach experience.

He doesn't have a system, he doesn't have a set of assistant coaches that know him and will support him. Many NHL coaches have their set assistant coaches that compliment their style.

Muller has a lot to learn and implement. I don't want him learning here.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:42 AM
jamz

I hope Muller goes to another team to earn his badges before coming back to coach the Canadiens in a few years. He has never held a head coach position except a stint with Queen's University. The Carbonneau experiment showed that when times get rhough in Montréal, a rookie coach can get in over his head and start making mistakes. He needs experience as a head coach. I would like him to stay in the organisation and work his way from the AHL, but Randy Cunneyworth has an impressive pedigree, and he finished 1st in the NW this year, so I'm happy to have him stay and see what he does with our prospects.

About the Jacques Martin Bashing in this thread and throughout this forum, the man is a genius. He is an incredible tactician. People give too much credit to the goalies, they rarely face dangerous shots unless the D makes a mistake. Without Martin I don't see this team making the playoffs. Especially not without their best player, and with many, many injury to other key guys throughout the season, for the last 2 years.

I like to see my team win. I can appreciate the defensive aspect of the game also. I don't care if it's an ugly win, I just want wins, and with Martin the team wins, so please stop bashing him. If you want to see goal after goal and have the game be more "exciting" go watch a basketball match. What matters is cup #25, and Martin gives this team a chance to win every game.

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Tim Wallach

I'm with Coldplay and Roulin. I'd love for DeBoer to come here as assistant to JM. I'm not sure he'd take an assistant's job and I'm sure he'll get interviews elsewhere, but he is a brilliant tactician and full of passion.

Things didn't work well in Florida, sure, but that is easily the worst team on paper in the league. So the fact he didn't come 30th is a success. I think DeBoer in Montreal would be a coup.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Hugo Sham

he's gone...lamierillo has a hard-on for all things habs - so he will get a big look there...and of course murray will give him a very good look because, well he's a hab coach - great pedigree and a divisional rival -- anytime you can get an edge on a divisional rival like this you do it. Martin will see out his contract - at least another year for sure

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:

He is mostly seen as a "player's coach" and really appears to be our motivator. He is heavily behind our special team success and always seems to be the guy settling everyone down if the game gets out of hand. It is hard to determine exactly what his role with the Habs is but I am relatively he would do quite well with New Jersey. My prediction would be a more offensive variation of Lemaire and Martin. The difference here is MacLean had virtually no NHL experience, whereas Muller has been apart of the Habs for a number of years, including our Cinderella run to the Conference finals.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
I hope Muller goes to another team to earn his badges before coming back to coach the Canadiens in a few years. He has never held a head coach position except a stint with Queen's University. The Carbonneau experiment showed that when times get rhough in Montréal, a rookie coach can get in over his head and start making mistakes. He needs experience as a head coach. I would like him to stay in the organisation and work his way from the AHL, but Randy Cunneyworth has an impressive pedigree, and he finished 1st in the NW this year, so I'm happy to have him stay and see what he does with our prospects.

About the Jacques Martin Bashing in this thread and throughout this forum, the man is a genius. He is an incredible tactician. People give too much credit to the goalies, they rarely face dangerous shots unless the D makes a mistake. Without Martin I don't see this team making the playoffs. Especially not without their best player, and with many, many injury to other key guys throughout the season, for the last 2 years.

I like to see my team win. I can appreciate the defensive aspect of the game also. I don't care if it's an ugly win, I just want wins, and with Martin the team wins, so please stop bashing him. If you want to see goal after goal and have the game be more "exciting" go watch a basketball match. What matters is cup #25, and Martin gives this team a chance to win every game.
Such a quality post, agreed. But one thing I will say about Martin what he has in tact he lacks in being a game time coach. What I mean is he's great for the system, implementing it and having it be successful. He is terrible when it comes to game time decision making. I've never seen a coach take as many bench minors, could be the teams fault too though. But I've also never seen as many mistakes with taking or not taking timeouts, and pulling the goalie way too late. In that regard I find he has a lot to learn. In terms of the strategy and tact of the team, he's great.

This is why I think he'd make a better assistant coach than head coach. I've always been a fan of Ruff and one thing that got me to love him even more this year is when the Sabres were down by two goals, he pulled the goalie early, they got the goal and they got the second goal and tied the game with 2-3 minutes left. This is the type of coaching that will win you games you never should've won, not waiting until 1 minute is left to pull your goalie. I understand the reasoning for pulling a goalie early or late, I just figure you're going to lose anyways might as well give yourself as much time as possible to score. Then again it is more time for the other team but I still think the odds are better if you give yourself more time.

He's still a great coach, I can just understand why people hate him. His con's are more noticeable than his pro's.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote