HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs -Round 1- (5) Nashville Predators 4 vs (4) Anaheim Ducks 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

vCash: 500
If any of you watched the Chicago game today......THAT WAS ENTERTAINING, CREATIVE HOCKEY, and the way the game should be played. Instead, maybe because of salaries, Preds play Defensive, non creative, pray for Rinne to save you hockey.
There are 4 forwards on your team with enough skill and "head for the game" to play exciting, creative hockey. SK, Erat, Dumont and Wilson. Dumont has been limited to 10 or less minutes, or not at all. Wilson has not been given any confidence by Trotz all season (although he was, at half way point this season top three in points, goals, and PLUS MINUS). Any creativity (and that was his strong point) has been stifled due to "Nashville Dump and Chase", Don't take any chances......but it works! You guys have had a successful season.
Erat and SK have the confidence to create, make mistakes, but at least they are exciting to watch!!
As for the rest, it is dump/chase, bang/crash, defensive hockey.

Old
04-10-2011, 05:27 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
no Bouillon i presume?
correct

i don't think he's even stepped back on the ice.

Old
04-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
If any of you watched the Chicago game today......THAT WAS ENTERTAINING, CREATIVE HOCKEY, and the way the game should be played. Instead, maybe because of salaries, Preds play Defensive, non creative, pray for Rinne to save you hockey.
There are 4 forwards on your team with enough skill and "head for the game" to play exciting, creative hockey. SK, Erat, Dumont and Wilson. Dumont has been limited to 10 or less minutes, or not at all. Wilson has not been given any confidence by Trotz all season (although he was, at half way point this season top three in points, goals, and PLUS MINUS). Any creativity (and that was his strong point) has been stifled due to "Nashville Dump and Chase", Don't take any chances......but it works! You guys have had a successful season.
Erat and SK have the confidence to create, make mistakes, but at least they are exciting to watch!!
Yes, and if you watched the second intermission of that game, you saw Mike Milbury claim that Trotz should win Coach of The Year, and should receive a "Lifetime Coaching Award". And there's that whole playoffs for 6 times in 7 years thing. It's really annoying to be good every year. I'll live with it.

Old
04-10-2011, 05:37 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Sorry man, I like your postings but your Wilson bias has got out of hand. Wilson stifled due to dump and chase? I don't think so. The guy is constantly trying to stickhandle by opponents 1 on 1 and has been failing miserably over and over. He has bad habits he either won't or hasn't been able to change and he's playing bad hockey right now.

Old
04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
sorry, ridiculous............and uncalled for.......don't throw anything on the ice or at opposing fans.

i like the orange idea though....maybe they'll come up with a mustard towel.
Haha geez, no sense of humor around here! I'm not gonna throw anything at anyone, but I still think the thought of Ducks fans getting hit with little pieces of bread is pretty hilarious. Stole the idea shamelessly from Auburn fans, who apparently did it to Oregon fans outside the national championship stadium this year. Hehehe.

I can't make any promises about no catfish on the ice though. Sorry.

Old
04-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Sorry man, I like your postings but your Wilson bias has got out of hand. Wilson stifled due to dump and chase? I don't think so. The guy is constantly trying to stickhandle by opponents 1 on 1 and has been failing miserably over and over. He has bad habits he either won't or hasn't been able to change and he's playing bad hockey right now.
Seriously. I like Wilson as much as the next guy and I hope he develops into what we all want him to be. But to say that he has been horrible over the past 15 or so games would be an understatement.

Old
04-10-2011, 06:09 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
That's insanity. Kostitsyn has been our best forward for most of the year, and you're taking him out of the top six to insert Spaling?

Trotz falls on his face when he tries to make these "hybrid" lines that have neither an offensive or defensive identity. If we're going to be successful, the top six is what it was when we were at our hottest, through march:

Kostitsyn Fisher Hornqvist
Erat Legwand Ward

beyond that--

Spaling O'Reilly Wilson
Tootoo Smithson Halischuk

That's the way I'd roll it. I'm hesitant to put O'Reilly in, but Trotz is limiting Geoffrion's icetime so severely right now anyway, it's not even a benefit to have him in. If Sullivan is healthy...I really am nervous about putting him in, but if he has to be, I'd alternate him and Wilson and see who sparks.
Well the lines I posted were basically the same as yours. I wasn't advocating putting Spaling on the top line. My SK line has been SK - Fisher - Hornqvist except for initial thought of getting O'Reilly back into the line up and moving Fish to a more shut down role a la Legwand last season or to the wing, but putting Cal in would most likely be a bad idea unless it's in a limited role. I'm just tossing around ideas to see what sounds good, honestly. I hate the lull between the end of the regular season and the start of the play offs

edit: in your bottom six I'd probably trade one of Halischuk or Tootoo for Spaling, but those lines look good either way really.

Last edited by TMI: 04-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old
04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I think most of us tend to appreciate your posts, but if everyone else is like me we're all getting pretty tired of people telling us how boring our teams plays or how "hockey should be played" a certain way and we fail to play it that way. If it isn't entertaining, you don't have to watch it. You can DVR it to skip the 'boring' parts, watch highlight shows later, or check box scores. None of those things will display our offense and creativity killing system for long enough to bore you. I promise

Old
04-10-2011, 06:28 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Haha geez, no sense of humor around here! I'm not gonna throw anything at anyone, but I still think the thought of Ducks fans getting hit with little pieces of bread is pretty hilarious. Stole the idea shamelessly from Auburn fans, who apparently did it to Oregon fans outside the national championship stadium this year. Hehehe.

I can't make any promises about no catfish on the ice though. Sorry.
well, that explains a lot. football behavior.

don't care about what you do at games, but i'll turn ya in to the ushers, gladly.

Old
04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Hey, I think Trotz is a great coach! He does the best with what he has every year and the style of play wins games! I guess I was not clear in my post. I watched the Chicago Detroit game today and it is a completely different game. I know there is no way Nashville could play the same as they do not have as many skilled players, and those players would have to think the same game.
The style Trotz coaches may not be the best fit, is all. Here is a question......when Upshall played for Nashville, what kind of player was he and why did you trade him? I watch him play occassionally and wonder what kind of role he had in Nashville?

Old
04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
well, that explains a lot. football behavior.

don't care about what you do at games, but i'll turn ya in to the ushers, gladly.
so you do care?

Old
04-10-2011, 06:46 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
sorry, ridiculous............and uncalled for.......don't throw anything on the ice or at opposing fans.

i like the orange idea though....maybe they'll come up with a mustard towel.
Ugh. Hunters orange is only for deer who are colorblind. For ducks you need camo, preferably reedy/cane/bamboo type

Old
04-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Firestorm

So what will be interesting to note if the Ducks split up the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line to add more secondary scoring.

Old
04-10-2011, 06:53 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Throwing bits of bread would be ****ing hilarious. I endorse this in Anaheim or Nashville.

Old
04-10-2011, 06:57 PM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
So what will be interesting to note if the Ducks split up the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line to add more secondary scoring.
I don't know if I really think they will do that, but it does make sense to me. I could really see it happening after a game 1 where their other lines had little production.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Firestorm

On the HF main discussion, 60% of people are picking the Ducks to win the series...

Old
04-10-2011, 07:16 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
On the HF main discussion, 60% of people are picking the Ducks to win the series...
doesnt mean a thing

Old
04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

Quote:
Someone over there also said they were picking the Ducks because we just weren't as hot as them leading up to the playoffs. I'm not a math wizard, but I thought 7-2-1 in your last 10 was better than 7-3 in your last 10? I think the Ducks are playing well right now, but I don't think they are any "hotter" than the Preds going into the playoffs.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:36 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
They've been split up for sometime now. Ryan is centering the third line.

Old
04-10-2011, 07:45 PM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
They've been split up for sometime now. Ryan is centering the third line.
My thoughts were that they would open the series with that RPG line intact to put as much pressure on Weber and Suter as possible.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:43 PM
roseyc

I think Weber and Suter have to show that they are the best pair in the league. It's time for them to dominate. If they do then Carlyle will try and move them off them and then Klein is under the gun along with Blum. Rinne is going to have to steal a game or two. If the series go 7 I don't like our chances but we can win it this year in 6. Steal game 1 and then put the pressure on them in game 2. We are going to have hit them because they are going to hit us. They are big and I think the difference is if we have to get scoring from the Wilson line. We need a 3 goals from the checking line. We got nothing from it last year. One of the top line I expect to struggle. Because the Ducks will try to shut one of the lines.I expect big things from Fisher who started coming on and looking like the player I've seen before with Ottawa. Franson worries me on D. I hope they can put that St.Louis game behind them. I can't wait

Old
04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
So can I volunteer for the game 1 GDT?
You can volunteer but I'm not sure how we're selecting the folks who will make each GDT.

Also for the home games the person will also need to post the GDT in the SC Playoffs board.

So, how do we want to handle the GDTs?

Old
04-10-2011, 08:59 PM
braindead

I'm much more of the belief that our forwards will be the keys to containing the big guns. Legwand, Fisher, Smithson have to lead the way. The best way to limit them is to pressure the D with insane forechecking to slow things down.

Really, then, Erat's health may be the next most important issue for the Preds. He is much, much harder on the puck at both ends than Sully. Our top 6 is lacking without him.

Next is Jon Blum because the Franson/SOB combo is going to be limited. Ducks will try to expose our second pairing.

Finally, getting to Dan Ellis early is key. We know him, we trained him, Mitch Korn got him a Jaguar-- we need to eat him alive. Ducks need to be uncertain at goalie.

Pekka is a given but has to be great.

I like that we start on the road, contrary to conventional wisdom.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Who ever had the best record in regular season should get the nod for GDT game 1!

Old
04-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Unholy
waifu

For those asking about the RPG line, Carlyle every now and then puts Ryan on the third line for small stretches to get him motivated. Usually happens when he starts going cold but I do expect RC to go back to RPG to start the playoffs.

Closed Thread